Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dog House

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    This is Codog's personal thread on the forums where you can come hang out and talk to Codog about combat, character classes, spells, and abilities in the game. I would like everyone to follow some simple guidelines when posting so that we can keep the thread constructive.
    Thanks for creating this thread and the personal time you have chosen to put into it. We very much appreciate your dedication, and the dedication of others who we have also seen go above and beyond.

Community Member

Default shortcut functionality buffing?

Codog, sir, honored among us...

What's the possibility of getting shortcuts changed so that you could drop multiple items onto them to get them to stack? Such as dropping 2 weapons onto a shortcut to make a weapon set, or a weapon and a shield to get a weapon set, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by EP_Harlow
    "At times, death alone bears the memo regarding a change in strategy." -EP Harlow

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyGazebo View Post
    Since I don't want codog to get all the fans, I'll be reading this thread too and stealing some of the questions. Bwahahaha!

Exploding ammo: that's in the to-do list; it's not very difficult, but hasn't been a very high priority. So, there's a decent chance you'll see them in the not-too-distant future. Kobold throwers shouldn't have all the fun with grenades...

New weapon styles: Animations are relatively expensive. Scythes, double-ended weapons (which I've seen requested in a number of other threads), polearms, and so on all require that someone animate a five-attack standing combat sequence, an idle sequence, a couple of special attack swings for cleave/whirlwind, and a two-attack moving sequence for each race. That much animation effort could instead get you all the animations for several new monsters.... Thrown spears, slings, or other missile attacks are easier, since you don't need the five-attack sequence, but still not cheap.

Given the finite art budget, we've been making the choice in the past to bring new monsters rather than new weapons... We may get you a new weapon style in the future, but it's likely to be a while.
    I know there are some of us, myself included, who have done character animations in the past.

Any chance any of us could lend a hand towards the war effort?

At this point, after having played some other games, I know I love the combat system too much to see this game die. I hate the missteps, but I have to go with the best mechanics.

"At times, death alone bears the memo regarding a change in strategy." -EP Harlow

Community Member

This is a bug in my queue and I hope to fix it in the future. It turns out that potion drinking actions have a "self only" designation coded into the action. Drinking a potion was one of the earliest actions coded in the game and needs a bit of rework. The "funnel-able" potions was a clever workaround our treasure designer attempted to overcome this problem without us having to rewrite the potion drinking action. Turns out that he used a similar pathway to wands and scrolls and rage prohibits these types of actions. It is on my radar. However, a lot of other fixes have taken priority over this one.

Regards,

Codog
    w00t for guessing this right. Sorry, I just feel very clever right now

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

I didn't think this suggestion was worthy of a thread of it's own, so I'll post it here.

Do you think you could extend the range of the Repair over time ability granted by the Way of the Mechanic enhancement? Currently it's so short that I frequently lose a boost while my Iron Defender spazzes out, or the Warforged I'm grouping with decides to take a few steps to the left.

Alternatively, could we possibly cut the activation in half or so, that way there's at least less time for something to go wrong while using it?
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Default spell bug or display error?

I recently re-rolled my cleric, and I was curious of what her to hit would be with divine favor and divine power. Casting diving power first and saw a hefty increase. Next casting divine favor and the to hit actually dropped 2 points on the inventory screen.

Rozzanna level7 cleric.

Ennervated,mind blasted,psionically dominated,encased in stone in the subterrane

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Bombardier View Post
    Can't double weapons just use the quarterstaff animation (a la Shining Crescents)?

D'oh! MT beat me to it.

That's a great idea because the quarterstaff animation is REALLY cool looking. Nobody with 4 attacks uses staffs though and simple weapon prof classes rarely use them. It looks really cool when a hasted, haste boosted fighter attacks with it, and the cleave animation with them is so huge, it looks like an attack out of Dynasty Warriors.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Kargon View Post
    Kargon are wondering when the followaming enhancemanent going be implementamed propermaly:

Spell FaceBlock
    Requiremaments: Barbarian 12, 250 HP, Barbarian Improved DR II, Toughness
    Cost: 8 AP
    Descriptimion: Any damaging spell which allow a reflex save for half damanage have a 50% chance of being blocked by you face whenever you succesfumully make the reflex save. A FaceBlocked spell deal no damanage to you, and have a 5% chance of be reflectamed back at the spell castermer.

Kargon know this enhancemament will be widelamally acceptamed as the best enhancemament evermer.
    Pssst, Kargon... Beholdamer's Disentagramate ray is a Fortamatude save. That means no face-blocky.
    There was a girl warforged named Cleaver.
    Every man that she loved would soon leave her.
    They all left so fast / as they couldn't get past
    the fact that she has a Brass Beaver

Meh, faceblock can be reworked so it works on reflex-based damage effects and damaging ray effects.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Howdy and welcome to the Dog House.

This is Codog's personal thread on the forums where you can come hang out and talk to Codog about combat, character classes, spells, and abilities in the game. I would like everyone to follow some simple guidelines when posting so that we can keep the thread constructive.
    [LIST]

Best regards,

Codog
    Very nice, but you asked for it:

Any thought of returning the proper durations to spells (e.g. solid fog, FW) that were reduced to address monster agro issues? Really, they AI on the monsters is agro based now so they go after the caster and not sit there and "cook"
    Any thought on implementing monster AI to know who actually did the casting? It seems like when someone brings a monster back to an effect, the monsters immediately knows who did the casting and goes past party members after them - even when there are people in robes in front (dang pesky rangers, rogues). I mean kobolds are not THAT smart!
    How come monster casters can target a person who is invisible or hidden? While you can damage someone who is invisible the area spells due to targetting their "square", you should not be able to target an individual unless you can "see" invisible creatures.
    Where is mirror image? (not just the spell but devs who are not afraid of users)
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

I have a question about cleave. Why does all other races/gender combination cleave so much master then human males? Will this ever be fixxed?

For instance, roll up some level 1 fighters and take power attack and cleave as your first feats. Get sheilds equipped on them and compare cleave speed on human male vs everything else... it's awful :/
    thank you
    Last edited by KatanAztar; 12-13-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Community Member Dworkin_of_Amber's Avatar

Codog,

Since you are starting a fresh thread, I figured I would come in with a few things that could (hopefully are) simple 'fixes' to things that have long been bugs/issues, that hopefully you can shed some light on.

1) Ranged Combat "Queue": Ranged weapons allow an attack queue, that can create some difficult circumstances. Can we please either have No Action Queue, or a Clear Action Queue on Reload (Specifically thinking of Repeaters for the second option). There is nothing worse than having your Bow user locked into 2-3 more shots when you need to switch to a wand, or just the wasted arrows, because the mob went down too quickly.

2) Currently Opened Quest Difficulty Display: This has been around since Beta. We zone into a quest on Elite, but someone coming up to the door opens the Portal UI and it displays Normal. Happens all the time, and causes confusion.

3) A Reminder when you open a Portal UI if you are not currently active on this quest. This will save so much frustration and problems if someone forgets to talk to Marek (VON's), or to talk to Hargo/Bruku/Archibishop twice (Delera's/GreyMoon/Catacombs) and not completely forward the quest, resulting in missing out on rewards, or worse, not actually queuing for a later quest or Raid. A Simple Pop-Up Error Message (like the existing error messages display) upon activation of a Portal UI if you are not actively on the quest you are trying to enter.

4) Inventory Slot-Locking. Please, some type of system to lock Inventory Items into one specific spot in your inventory. Maybe assign on Locking an item, that item will return to the last manually selected slot upon de-equip. I have noticed that the usual behavior is that say youare sword-and-board, and switch to a scroll. The weapon you were wielding takes the Scroll's old spot, and if you re-equip the same weapon, the scroll switches back, causing them to go back to where they were. However, if you use an Item Set, then whatever is replaced out of your hands will go back to the 1st bag. This is very annoying. Some way to lock items into spots, and allowing Weapon Sets to swap spots instead of dropping back into the 1st bad.

5) More than 10 Toolbars. With the necessity of carrying multiple weapons and items and potions and scrolls and Feat abilities and Enhancement Abilities, 10 toolbars isn't enough anymore. Can we please get 12-15 or more?

6) Character Select Screen re-ordering. Newer rolled characters used to go to the bottom of the list, now they go to the top. Can we please be allowed to re-order them... or order them by Level (Decending) and then Name (Ascending)?

7) Teleporter gates: Can we please get them added to the Necropolis & Gianthold?

8) Gems - Some way to sell them for a decent price? 10% is just not worth picking them up for, since there is no Broker to get more pp for them, nor is there any in-game use. Or multiply the base price by 5x or 10x, so that they are worth the inventory space and Gem Bag?

9) Allow Bow-and-Arrow combination for Weapon Sets? Let me select my Greater Giant Bane bow with my Giant Slaying Arrows as a Weapon Set... or my Fire Bow with Acid Arrows to go Troll hunting... or my Greater Construct Bane Bow with Adamantine Arrows for Golems, and the like.

That's all I can think of for the moment!
    Benedict, Beldin, Dworkin... too many to list
    Founder: Guild of Amber (Mabar/Argo)

Community Member

1. Cure Critical Wounds wands

For God's sake man, hasn't it been long enough?

Locking Elite quests, so that you can't recall/reenter to replenish resources.
    \x/es
    Torgomund 17/1 Rngr/Rog . . Thundorf 16/2/2 Bard/Ftr/Barb . . Zarron 10/2 Wiz/Rog
    RIP Class Forums 3/9/2011

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Westerner View Post

Say what??

Ok, so what happens when you die and recall?

Default Mass Deathward

Since Deadly Gazebo said he's looking in as well, I gues I'd mention something that might not be your realm of influence, C-Dog, but how about Deathward, Mass as a spell consideration? I know many clerics would sing Turbine's praises if this could be made a reality.

PS Someone already mentioned it, but are there any plans for dual-weilding throwing weapon feats, enhancements, animations? (pretty please)
    The Leper Squad - Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
    seems like something that you migth be able to accomplish with guild rules/self control - but hey, i support anything that makes people happy as long as it doesn't take away from new content creation
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    |.....ALE TRUCK......| ||'|";, ___.
    |_...._....._____===|=||_|__|..., ]
    "(@)'(@)"***|(@)(@)**''(@)
    _________________Thanks to Hunglo for the Ale Truck

Quote Originally Posted by tekn0mage View Post
    Say what??

Game Over Man, Game Over!!
    "As if killing the Bard impresses us."
    -Sir Osric, Paladin

i'm going to consolidate all of my spell issues here. the spells that have these issues are: scorching ray, fireball, cone of cold, disintegrate, and niacs

first issue: targeting with these spells

when these spells have a target, there are a multitude of issues that can happen. scenarios following:

scenario: cast spell and target moves beyond your limited viewpoint
    result: spell is invisi-cast(a) with the "you must face x" error being thrown - spell points charged
    expected result: it should go to where the target was and doing AOE damage if AOE and hit the next target(if applicable) in line if ray

scenario: cast spell and target dies during cast
    result: spell goes straight to the ceiling with no damage even if there is something in the AOE - spell points are charged
    expected result: it should go to where the target was at during cast and doing AOE damage if AOE and hit the next target(if applicable) in line if ray

scenario: cast spell and target dies after cast
    result: spell is invisi-cast(a) at the target with no damage inflicted - spell points charged
    expected result: it should go to where the target was at during cast and doing AOE damage if AOE and hit the next target(if applicable) in line if ray

scenario: cast spell and target moves behind object and is blocked
    result: spell is invis-cast(a) at the target with an error message "target A is blocked"
    expected result: the spell should either end or detonate at the blocking point. if it is a ray a notification of 'target A is blocked' should be thrown to prevent tantrems, but if it is AOE it should explode at contact doing AOE damage.

scenario: cast spell and target moves out of range of spell
    result: haven't messed with this in a while so i'm not sure if it gives an error message or not
    expected result: ray spells should fizzle (as they do). AOE should detonate doing damage to all in the AOE

second issue: untargeted spell casting

it just isn't practical to cast ray spells without targeting. there are several reasons for this that i'll list below

1. the limited resource that is spell points - while arrows are for the most part limitless so that if you miss on 1 or 2 it isn't noticed, missing a target with a direct damage spell is painful

2. cast times - even for a sorc with fast cast time, a ranger can fire off many more arrows than a sorc can spells

3. the spells seem to always cast low, not sure why

it however is very practical to cast AOE spells without targeting, however the most effective ways tend to be of two varieties:

1. horizontally into groups in open areas - the most effective spell for this BY FAR is cone of cold. fireball tends to need you to be slightly above your target to get optimal results. one thing that i noticed that i like is that fireballs into doorways tend to be marginally effective because of the blast zone.

2. focused straight at the ground - this is about the only way that you can consistently get an untargeted AOE spell to go off correctly. even then, it will sometimes shoot straight up in the air unless you are at the apex of a jump.

final thoughts about spells

niacs is better at targeting than scorching ray.
    scorching ray is better at not fizzling with 3 rays than 1
    cone of cold has weird size metrics. if you are standing still the length of the cone is a lot longer than if you are moving.
    cone of cold has issues at the originating point of the cone. it tends to include creatures to the right and left of the point, but not anything at the origination point. this seems to be backwards.

all AOE effect spells do not realistically handle the blocking effects of monsters behind another monster. this may be by design, but it would stand to reason that the spell doesn't pass through another monster at full strength. while i like my nice row of ice sculptures, it doesn't seem like it should work that way.

(a) invisi-cast is when you see the spell cast (fireball, etc) but it hits the targets and does no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by tekn0mage View Post
    Say what??

It is Elite, what hapened to all the posts that only the uber l33t with the best gear and build should be doing elite quests? Obviously the l33t don't die so it won't be an issue now will it?
    R.I.P. E.G.G. 3/4/08

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast