Page 1 of 76 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dog House

Default The Dog House

Howdy and welcome to the Dog House.

This is Codog's personal thread on the forums where you can come hang out and talk to Codog about combat, character classes, spells, and abilities in the game. I would like everyone to follow some simple guidelines when posting so that we can keep the thread constructive.
    • Please be respectful of others who are posting here. I'm not interested in reading long debates, arguments, or personal attacks on each other. These kinds of interactions waste time that could be spent evaluating somebody's ideas. If you see an idea you disagree with, post an alternate idea rather than debating its merit or defacing its originator.
    • Please be respectful to the development team in your posts. I consider the DDO team to be some of my best friends and it is very difficult to see the merit and creative genius of a post if I'm personally frustrated with its author. I understand that many of you are passionate ( and/or angry ) about the game and want to have your voices heard. The best way to convey messages to us is in the form of crisp factual posts.
    • I will be reading every post that is made on this thread. However, I do not have time to respond to every post or question on this thread. I will mostly be reading and responding to the thread on my own time so as to not impact my scheduled deliverables at work.
    • Feel free to bring up bugs/problems you have noticed. Keep in mind that my primary area of responsibility in the game is surrounding combat and character abilities. I won't be much help when it comes to content/quest issues. When reporting problems, I would very much appreciate relevent information to reproduce the problem. If it is location specific, please use the /location command and post the location and what quest you happened to be on at the time.
    • Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.
    • Finally, please keep in mind that I am unable to disclose too much information about the future of this product. That job belongs to marketing. Quarion is hiding in the breakroom with a True Law Spork of Greater Codog Bane (sprinkled with soy sauce), poised to spork me if I miscommunicate our direction or purpose. From time to time, you will get some glimpses of what I'm currently working on through our conversations.
    I feel very privileged to be a developer of this product. I feel that having a feedback mechanism from you, the customer, is valuable when we are making decisions. There have been many times that a forum post has been brought to a game systems meeting for discussion and debate. I'm very impressed with the maturity of this audience and moreso with your willingness to contribute your ideas about the game. I can speak for the team when I say that we all have a common goal here which is making the game better over time. Let's communicate and help each other do just that!

Best regards,

Codog

Thanks for doing this Codog.

I would like to address something that was said in last night's dev chat.

A question was asked regarding the second level of some PrC via enhancements.

I notice that you have Arcane Archer scoped out to level 20 but does that mean that it is now set in stone and you won't change what you have listed or is there still the possibility of adding phase arrows, and arrows of slaying?

The Deepwood Sniper and Tempest Ranger don't show anything past what is listed. Does that mean they end there or are there plans to do a second level enhancement?
    Last edited by Yaga Nub; 12-13-2007 at 10:07 AM.
    Characters - Brion, Damerchant, Deathbot, Goode-, Minusten, Sepiriz, Spiritstrike, Stee, Steilh, Vorpaal, Wyllye, Yaga, Yagalicious, Yga. RIP - Catpizzle and Qazpe
    Beware My Gifts!!!

Born in City of Towers, now living in Stormreach

Yes Thanks Co-Dog... great move in the right direction.
    formerly Riedra now Khyber
    Red Gauntlet Regiment(Co-Founder)
    Here since 9/26/05 "Alpha" (when female characters had thongs )

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Nice. You probably won't see anything from me in here till Mod 6 gets released. You've got enough changes in the work that anything I speak up about now may be a non issue.

Oh yeah, could you talk to the person responcible for getting gear repaired. It would be nice if at some point we could actually repair the damage done to our throwing RETURNING weapons. It is rather annoying to not be able to sell a weapon for gold because it is damaged and you can NOT repair the sucker. Or if the thrower is something really nice like the Dwarven Thrower, disruptor, wounder, etc.

Default First question to Codog

There are three things in the game currently that I really wish players would get access to. Could you give me any indication on when these might happen?

1.) Scythes
    2.) Exploding Ammunition
    3.) Thrown Spears

Many NPCs use all of them fairly regularly, so I have to wonder what's holding it off? I'll probably have more questions later when I can sit down and figure out what's really important.
    On Thelanis (formerly Xoriat) (All Characters) Poison Squirrels from Hell
    Alexio - Level Capped Wizard (Drow) Officer {Main}
    Bloodsyn - Level 16 Paladin (Drow) {Alt}
    37 Int on my Wizard and climbing.

I've been known to make a suggestion or two in the past, so I'm sure I'll have some stuff to add once I gather my thoughts up.
    Have a question about the Eberron Setting?
    Ask a Loremaster.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticTheurge View Post
    I've been known to make a suggestion or two in the past, so I'm sure I'll have some stuff to add once I gather my thoughts up.
    You? I've never seen your names on the forums at all!
    Characters - Brion, Damerchant, Deathbot, Goode-, Minusten, Sepiriz, Spiritstrike, Stee, Steilh, Vorpaal, Wyllye, Yaga, Yagalicious, Yga. RIP - Catpizzle and Qazpe
    Beware My Gifts!!!

Hey Codog awesome idea. I do have a question. What will be the attack rate increase on Rangers when they take the Tempest enhancement?

Default Hey Turbine

CODOG DESERVES A RAISE!

Kudos to you for putting in the extra effort to reach out to the community.

That is all.

A Joyous Festivult to All!
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

I would really like to see slings find there way into the game. I appreciate that throwing hammers were added to appease the blunt throwing weapon crowd, however, I believe that the cleric and mage crowd don't have proficiency with the axe (which is what the throwing hammer is typed as). It would be great to have a simple weapon that was ranged and did blunt damage. Thanks for starting this thread and for being so passionate about this game!!

Moderatly reformed forum lurker.

"Hi, Lurker"

Community Member Mad_Bombardier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eelpout View Post
    I would really like to see slings find there way into the game. I appreciate that throwing hammers were added to appease the blunt throwing weapon crowd, however, I believe that the cleric and mage crowd don't have proficiency with the axe (which is what the throwing hammer is typed as). It would be great to have a simple weapon that was ranged and did blunt damage.
    We have Festivult Coal (we just need slings to hurl them for 1d4 instead of 1d2). More simple weapons would be great.
    Last edited by Mad_Bombardier; 12-13-2007 at 09:44 AM.

Who let the dog out! Woot! Woot!..Woot! Woot!
    The Old Timers Guild
    "Laid back, not so serious, no drama, all about the fun!"
    www.oldtimersguild.com
    <<open to the public>>

great idea codog, thank you.

Community Member

Default Can you look into the problem with remapping he single attack key?

I use a joystick with the single attack button mapped to the trigger, but you can duplicate the problem by mapping single attack to any key (like the space bar, for instance), As far as I can tell the problem stems from the fact that the default for single attack is the left mouse button, which is also used to click buttons on hot bars, drag overlay windows (like the examination orb, chat boxes, etc) around, and so on. Therefore, there is a routine that disables the attack function when the cursor is over any of the overlay windows. However, when single attack is mapped to another key, the left mouse button still does all the window overlay functions, the new key does not. However, the attack function is still disabled whenever the cursor is over an overlay, even though this is no longer needed or desired. So, you wind up trying to swing your weapon for a couple of seconds before you realize it isn't working, grab the mouse to move the cursor off the hot bar and trying to swing again, only to realize the cursor landed on the quest completion window, or the orb, or the xp bar or something else. You still can't swing and then, suddenly you're dead. I first bugged this problem during beta (althouogh this post contains more info than my bug report), and it has been very exasperating on many occasions.

PS: I love what you guys have planned for mod 6, but I think you should consider not making the prestige class enhancements exclusive. Prestige classes in D&D are not exclusive, and if someone wants to go to all the trouble of meeting the requirements for several prestige enhancements, they should be allowed to do so. They will be self limiting in the huge number of feats and enhancements they will need to take in order to meet all the requirements.

Default Codog and Eladrin are teh PwnZerz!

Hehe.

Codog you already have my ideas on these but i figure i'll post these for the community to see.

Stances. For Rangers.

Heres what i propose:

Stance of Power - Similiar to power attack. Really almost exactly similiar. One-Handed Weapons = Short Bows, Two-Handed Weapons = Long Bows. Same plusses and minuses as Power Attack. One Exception - Make it so you get it with Deepwood Sniper. This would increase the appeal of Deepwood Sniper and also appease the straight dex rangers.

Stance of Speed - While in this stance you gain an increase to attack speed (10-25%), while taking -4 (can be adjusted) to hit. Make it only available with Arcane Archer maybe? I personally wouldn't use this, because quality before quantity (unless its many shot!) . However, many people would love this i think.

Both of these would have to be toggeable of course. Theres some merit in making your stance break after having for so long or after moving for a set period of time without stopping to shoot anything. Does not matter to me, i could deal with it pretty simply as long as the cooldown isnt bad on it ( maybe the same as defensive fighting?).

Thanks Codog,

~Kire

Community Member

Default How about making this thread a sticky?

Title says it all!

Default Fabulous Idea

CoDog,

Thank you so much for doing this. Communication, interaction and feedback are excellent ways of letting us know what's going on. I'm really excited about the Ranger Speciality developments that are slated for Mod 6. I have 2 rangers that should be able to take advantage of a Tempest and Deepwoods flavors. This is my first mmo (been here for over a year now) and the development of the game is one of the major things that keeps me here (well that plus its DnD ).

Jules

Ladies - Mediclady, Elspyth, Warchantress, Bittt, Julez, LilBitt, Bucketoboltz, Skitty, Kerro, Wyntermoon, Kethrey, Kethree, Selany, Gypsie, Cassyopeya, Tinkerbelle, Dyanya, PallasAthene

Hi CODOG, Partymaker over here

As always, you're doing a great job and this post can only help to improve the game, no doubt!

The only thing I'm not sure about is if something was done about the reload animation and the "I fire a bolt/arrow uselessly after reloading" bug.

Wouldn't it be possible to code it so, once the reload animation start on a range weapon, it doesn't keep any action in queue? If reloading, queue = empty.

This is a major pain for any range character and even worst for casters. Often, you can't cast anything for 5 secs (which is like a decade when you're in a fight!) because the toon stupidly reload-shot-reload...

Would also be cool to know if you've been able to fix for MOD6 the bug with the Black Dragon armor, that is preventing us from the Haste combat speed bonus while we're wearing this armor.

Tx for your time and keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Bloodyfury; 12-14-2007 at 08:17 AM.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Well since you started a new thread I feel like I can re-ask that question:

Does the THF line of feats have any impact on fighting with quarterstaves, and if yes, which one exactly? (DeadlyGazebo said a long time ago it had no impact, but at least two people have found it added glancing blows on the 4th attack with GTHF).

Post Hijacking Codog's thread!

Since I don't want codog to get all the fans, I'll be reading this thread too and stealing some of the questions. Bwahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisaragi View Post
    There are three things in the game currently that I really wish players would get access to. Could you give me any indication on when these might happen?

1.) Scythes
    2.) Exploding Ammunition
    3.) Thrown Spears

Many NPCs use all of them fairly regularly, so I have to wonder what's holding it off? I'll probably have more questions later when I can sit down and figure out what's really important.
    Exploding ammo: that's in the to-do list; it's not very difficult, but hasn't been a very high priority. So, there's a decent chance you'll see them in the not-too-distant future. Kobold throwers shouldn't have all the fun with grenades...

New weapon styles: Animations are relatively expensive. Scythes, double-ended weapons (which I've seen requested in a number of other threads), polearms, and so on all require that someone animate a five-attack standing combat sequence, an idle sequence, a couple of special attack swings for cleave/whirlwind, and a two-attack moving sequence for each race. That much animation effort could instead get you all the animations for several new monsters.... Thrown spears, slings, or other missile attacks are easier, since you don't need the five-attack sequence, but still not cheap.

Given the finite art budget, we've been making the choice in the past to bring new monsters rather than new weapons... We may get you a new weapon style in the future, but it's likely to be a while.

Page 1 of 76 123451151 ... LastLast