Page 7 of 76 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dog House

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    For module 7 there is a feature that will be swallowing the character team whole.
    Well that piqued my curiosity. No chance of hearing anything about that until sometime in March though is there?
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyGazebo View Post
    New weapon styles: Animations are relatively expensive. Scythes, double-ended weapons (which I've seen requested in a number of other threads), polearms, and so on all require that someone animate a five-attack standing combat sequence, an idle sequence, a couple of special attack swings for cleave/whirlwind, and a two-attack moving sequence for each race. That much animation effort could instead get you all the animations for several new monsters.... Thrown spears, slings, or other missile attacks are easier, since you don't need the five-attack sequence, but still not cheap.

Given the finite art budget, we've been making the choice in the past to bring new monsters rather than new weapons... We may get you a new weapon style in the future, but it's likely to be a while.
    Aside from Mod 6 brining us the Demon War, which I am all sorts of excited about, I honestly could care less about new monsters. I have wanted to make a double bladed warrior for the longest time and have had to settle on the quarterstaff because I doubt I will ever see it. However, a good point was made. The pole arms might need a series of thrusting animations, sure, but double bladed swords and maces really don't need anything more than a skin placed over the quarterstaff animations. It would look just as good, and you would only have to adjust where the hands of the character come into contact with the weapon.

On a side not, now that I think about it, with the introduction of Prestige Classes via enhancments (Arcane Archer, Deepwood Sniper, etc) when will we start to see other PrC's for the other classes? Combat medic from Heroes of Battle or Rage Mage from Complete Arcane leap to mind (I could be wrong on the book for Rage Mage). Are there any other enhancement chain Prestige Classes in the works?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalanth View Post
    Rage Mage from Complete Arcane leap to mind (I could be wrong on the book for Rage Mage).
    Complete Warrior.

Not that it matters.
    Have a question about the Eberron Setting?
    Ask a Loremaster.

Community Member Mad_Bombardier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    For module 7 there is a feature that will be swallowing the character team whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
    Well that piqued my curiosity. No chance of hearing anything about that until sometime in March though is there?
    Ack!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Bombardier View Post
    Ack!
    Hey! You didn't quote me!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticTheurge View Post
    Let the speculation begin!

(I'm thinking he means monks. )
    Ask a Loremaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dworkin of Amber View Post
    Codog,

Since you are starting a fresh thread, I figured I would come in with a few things that could (hopefully are) simple 'fixes' to things that have long been bugs/issues, that hopefully you can shed some light on.

1) Ranged Combat "Queue": Ranged weapons allow an attack queue, that can create some difficult circumstances. Can we please either have No Action Queue, or a Clear Action Queue on Reload (Specifically thinking of Repeaters for the second option). There is nothing worse than having your Bow user locked into 2-3 more shots when you need to switch to a wand, or just the wasted arrows, because the mob went down too quickly.

2) Currently Opened Quest Difficulty Display: This has been around since Beta. We zone into a quest on Elite, but someone coming up to the door opens the Portal UI and it displays Normal. Happens all the time, and causes confusion.

3) A Reminder when you open a Portal UI if you are not currently active on this quest. This will save so much frustration and problems if someone forgets to talk to Marek (VON's), or to talk to Hargo/Bruku/Archibishop twice (Delera's/GreyMoon/Catacombs) and not completely forward the quest, resulting in missing out on rewards, or worse, not actually queuing for a later quest or Raid. A Simple Pop-Up Error Message (like the existing error messages display) upon activation of a Portal UI if you are not actively on the quest you are trying to enter.

4) Inventory Slot-Locking. Please, some type of system to lock Inventory Items into one specific spot in your inventory. Maybe assign on Locking an item, that item will return to the last manually selected slot upon de-equip. I have noticed that the usual behavior is that say youare sword-and-board, and switch to a scroll. The weapon you were wielding takes the Scroll's old spot, and if you re-equip the same weapon, the scroll switches back, causing them to go back to where they were. However, if you use an Item Set, then whatever is replaced out of your hands will go back to the 1st bag. This is very annoying. Some way to lock items into spots, and allowing Weapon Sets to swap spots instead of dropping back into the 1st bad.

5) More than 10 Toolbars. With the necessity of carrying multiple weapons and items and potions and scrolls and Feat abilities and Enhancement Abilities, 10 toolbars isn't enough anymore. Can we please get 12-15 or more?

6) Character Select Screen re-ordering. Newer rolled characters used to go to the bottom of the list, now they go to the top. Can we please be allowed to re-order them... or order them by Level (Decending) and then Name (Ascending)?

7) Teleporter gates: Can we please get them added to the Necropolis & Gianthold?

8) Gems - Some way to sell them for a decent price? 10% is just not worth picking them up for, since there is no Broker to get more pp for them, nor is there any in-game use. Or multiply the base price by 5x or 10x, so that they are worth the inventory space and Gem Bag?

9) Allow Bow-and-Arrow combination for Weapon Sets? Let me select my Greater Giant Bane bow with my Giant Slaying Arrows as a Weapon Set... or my Fire Bow with Acid Arrows to go Troll hunting... or my Greater Construct Bane Bow with Adamantine Arrows for Golems, and the like.

That's all I can think of for the moment!
    ::blinkblink::What a great post!.....yeah do what this guy said!
    Chaotic Evil:-Baptismoffire-Tantholos-AltarboyBaptism- Sabott -Caneye-DunkachinoThingamabob- Dejay-Cubscout
    “Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word"safe" that I was previously unaware of"; -Douglas Adams

Any sufficiently advanced bureaucracy is indistinguishable from molasses.

I asked Eladrin basically this (though I also asked about changing their anti-magic to be a suppression instead of a dispel) and his answer was:
    I'm glad we're both in agreement that Beholders need to be fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Huxley
    There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued
    Turbine, you can hire more developers for the game. We operate on a giant Theocracy of Debt, so go all out finding developers for the best MMO out there

Sorry I haven't posted sooner I will try to come up with a few things to add to the discussion here at a leter point... unfortuantely I havve become addicted to Desktop Tower Defense and can't seem to make myself stop playing it... please help me.

Aesop
    Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff
    Rule 2: Its all small stuff
    Rule 3: People are stupid. You, me everyone... expect it
    more rules to come in a different sig

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Thanks for the quick set-up Human - I was going to do the same thing. Are you going to update this spreadsheet?

Quote Originally Posted by HumanJHawkins View Post
    FYI, I threw together an example from the last few threads I've read... It is here:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...BZKhmekMteYFdw

Of course there are a lot of better ways to do this, but the example above is one of the cheapest and least time consuming...

Finally, I know there are business decisions to be made... If that is not professional enough for Turbine to want to be associated with directly, I am sure volunteers could be rounded up to maintain such a thing... Then Turbine would only have to mine it occasionally for good ideas.

Anyway, I'll drop it for now... Maybe after you guys all talk, you will come up with something way better.

Cheers!
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- years & still spawning kobolds
    Who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

The thing I would really like to see is random trap placement in quests as well as random chest placement random encounters....not respawns but random. As it is now the uber super elite players learn the quest. They figure out where everything is and run it over and over till it's boring, if it's random they wouldn't be able to master a quest in a week and it might hold interest a little longer for them and it would make rogues a necesity. I don't have a rogue but it seems like a wasted class...most players play them as fighters or rangers and do the occasional trap or locked chest.
    sorry bout the rambleing
    Chaotic Evil:-Baptismoffire-Tantholos-AltarboyBaptism- Sabott -Caneye-DunkachinoThingamabob- Dejay-Cubscout
    “Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word"safe" that I was previously unaware of"; -Douglas Adams

Default rage misfire

Thanks for doing this Codog. It gives me a warm fuzzy knowing that someone at Turbine really cares about the game and wants to make it better.

I do have a pet peeve bug that has been driving me crazy.

Sometimes when I click my toolbar icon for barbarian rage the cooldown timer starts and the rage animation and sound effects are triggered but the actual barbarian rage effect is not activated and it does not use a barbarian rage use for the day. This is an intermittent problem that seems to be tied to lag. If you could somehow make it so the cooldown timer only starts if the rage effect is activated would be awesome. The misfire wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to wait a minute before trying to use it again while my rage potion timer is running out.

Going to what HumanJHawkins said, I think that there is a better way to do this. Why not have a bug repository that we can access. Any proposed features could be added in, and any bugs could be logged. All bug repositories have a status as well. There are some great free ones as well (bugzilla comes to mind). With a simple install, we can get a lot of use out of it, and really help yall out in your quest to make the Ultimate DDO Experience (or something like that).
    For the latest DDO info how, where, and when you want it...
    DDO Reports: DDO. News. Now.
    For instant updates (even on your mobile device), follow DDO Reports on Twitter.

Red face

every time i see this post title it makes me think of dog the bounty hunter haha get some!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tmdag4 View Post
    Thanks for the quick set-up Human - I was going to do the same thing. Are you going to update this spreadsheet?
    I'll try to update it every couple of days or so, until a better method is found... The trouble is that there is a great deal of opinion that goes into such a thing, and I really don't want to force my opinions onto everyone else. Anyway, yes. I'll do it until either people start hating me , or a better system is made.

I'll try to get the great post from Dworkin in later today... But I have work to do first. Dooh!
    Nyr Dyv Raiders - Sarlona
    Bloodbath, Barb 20 · Stonehaul, AC Build 20 · Sonnkral, Melee 20 · Sacrament, Cleric 17 · Sentient, Sorcerer 17 · Kimosabe, Archer 20 · Livid, Rogue 15 · Luthiena, Bard 20 · Luxoria, Paladin 8· Machinos, Wiz 8

Complete Warrior.

Not that it matters.
    I was in the right series.

Community Member Dworkin_of_Amber's Avatar

Continuing with a list of small-to-medium items, that could make for some great improvements in the game.

10) Implement additional ", Mass" Spells, such as Resist Energy, Protection from Energy, Jump, Blur, etc.
    A significant amount of time is often wasted with handing out buffs at the beginning of each quest, or after each shrine, or at the appropriate door. Game time could be streamlined by implementation of more Mass Spells. For example, as a Cleric I carried Shield of Faith and Protection from Evil, but rarely handed them out, except to those who requested it, or I knew needed it. However, now with the Mass versions of these spells, I always give out Shield of Faith, Mass, and Magic Circle Against Evil, because they are Mass. I probably spend MORE spell points on mass buffs then I would giving them individually, but it saves time and effort, and allows the party to get questing faster. Specifically though, the Resist Energy and Protection from Energy would be significant time savers.

11) Ability to "Hot-Key" Spells with Pre-Set Metamagics.
    I know this has been brought up before, but maybe this can afford another look. While DDO spellcasting is quite different from PnP, there are similarities. For example, as a Sorcerer, I would rarely ever want to cast a Wall of Fire without Extend, but Empower & Maximize are situational. Why not allow us to create a Extend+Wall of Fire button on the toolbar. Or a Heighten+PK, or Max+Emp+WoF... It would simplify spellcasting, and bring it closer to PnP at the same time. Now, if balance is a concern, and the main hang-up is that it eliminates the time it takes to reset your Metamagics, then treat it like a Macro instead (Enable Extend, Cast Wall of Fire), or (Enable Heighten, Enable Empower, Enable Maximize, Cast Disintegrate) or whatever. It would require a quick logic state check:
    - Check State: Extend Spell. If Metamagic.Extend=Enabled then CastSpell.WallOfFire, else EnableMetamagic.Extend

12) Alternate display/hotbar for Spells
    As another option to enabling additional hotbars, would be to add some type of Spell Hot-bar, that would allow quick access to all currently memorized/prepared spells. I am thinking something more along the lines of the Spell Tab in the Character Sheet, where you can see all the spells, by Spell Level, in an orderly fashion, where you could then cast from. Also, the Spell Hotbar from Neverwinter Nights comes to mind. Would it be possible to have some type of hotbar that listed the spells, just like the Spells Tab in the Character sheet, that can be a semi-transparent, floating object, that can be cast from?

13) Shield Blocking & Bashing
    I believe it was mentioned earlier, but just to reiterate. Currently, if you are holding a Wand or a Scroll in one hand, and a shield in the other, you cannot Shield Block or Shield Bash (or at least, there is no animation for Shield Blocking, and block+attack makes empty-handed attacks). This is very important for Clerics, as we need to use our Blocking AC and DR, without losing the ability to heal from Wands & Scrolls. I believe it is some weapon-attack-selection-flag on Scrolls and Wands that force Bare-Handed Attack & Block Routines, instead of Sword-and-Board Attack and Block Routines

14) Balancing of Enemy Mob Speed
    It appears that most Mobs in DDO can run as fast as they want, up to a point. This is somewhat imbalanced. As a test last night, I took my Barbarian into a few quests, with 25% striders on, and I could not outrun or run-down most of the mobs (especially Wraiths/Specters/incorporael undead), without using a Speed Boost or Haste. Each Monster type has a fixed base speed, that appears to not be implemented, in most cases, and causes a lot of frustration for players. Given that losing Aggro is extremely hard to do, without Bluff/Diplomacy, and we can't outrun the mobs without Speed Boost (that only Barbarians and Rangers get) or Haste, which is nearly impossible to cast if you are being chased, but can be quaffed in a potion, it makes it extremely difficult to re-setup the party to deal with mobs. Also, given the newer AI, it is nearly impossible to run-down an enemy mob one it gets moving, let alone hit it on the move, I think some re-balancing in terms of base speed is needed

15) Blade Barrier Overlapping
    There appears to be a bug with multiple Blade Barriers that overlap/touch each other. If you setup two or more Blade Barriers that overlap, it appears that only the LAST BB cast will actually enforce it's "barrier" and cause damage. A good place to test this is the "Ambush" at the beginning of Tor (the Gianthold Pre-Raid). Try setting up 3-5 overlapping, Extended BB's (think of the Olympic Rings pattern), then pull the Giants into it. Only one of the BB's will actually cause damage. I have not tested sufficiently to see if different players' BB's do the same thing, but I can test and verify that multiple BB's cast by one person do behave in this manner. As other overlapping AoE damage spells (ie. Wall of Fire) work properly, Blade Barrier should be fixed to all work properly.

16) Heal Skill
    The Heal skill is another one of those skills that is becoming less-and-less useful as the game progresses. Given the inflated Hit Points or DDO PC's vs. PnP, I think the Heal formula needs to be revisted and boosted (or a Level-Scaling boost), such that maxing out your Heal & Wisdom & Item (ie 17 Ranks, 30 Wisdom, +13 item) should fully heal up a party when shrining, or at least close to it. I tested this recently with my Paladin (11Pal/2Rog/1Fgt) with 330 Hit Points. I had just died, and got a Raise Dead, so I had less than 30 hit points. The Cleric stood next to me with 40 Heal (17 Ranks + 10 Wisdom Bonus + 13 Item), and I was not fully healed from shrining... let alone the 450+ Hit point Dwarf Barbarian shrining next to me. One alternate option would be to add a skill synergy such that putting ranks in Heal give a passive "Improved Recovery" bonus to yourself. For example, each rank in Heal add +1% to received Cure Spells

17) Balance Checks
    This is another oddity... Trip effects go against your Strength or Dexterity Bonus (whichever is higher), yet saves against the Trip once you have already fallen are against your Balance Skill. Would it not make more sense for the Trip Attempt to be vs. your Balance Skill (Ranks + Str + Item) just as the save to get back up from a fail vs. Trip. This would make the saves vs. Trip all the same, just like vs. other Spells (ie Hold Person is vs. Will Save to initially Save, then against will to break free at each save roll). It appears that Mobs are using a Balance Skill vs. our Trip attempts (otherwise how can you explain the low success rate of trips vs. many mobs), so why not "Balance" it for us (pun intended).

18) Tumble Spell
    Jump, a very similar skill-spell, scales with Character Level. Should not Tumble do the same?

19) Mimics & Trapped Chests!
    I would dearly love to see Mimics added to the game. Imagine everyone running up to a Chest, trying to open it, and BOOM! It animates, jumps up, and starts beating down the party! Or open the Chest and it had a bomb inside it, dealing 25d6 damage and destroying the contents of the chest! And make it random, which ones are mimics and which ones are trapped!

20) Pay on Delivery vs. Pay on Click
    Barbarian Rage, Scrolls, Wands, Spells... these are all things that should be coded like Lay on Hands for Pay on Delivery vs the current Pay on Activate. Try running Ghosts of Perdition, and try to use a Wand or a Scroll when fighting Doomsphere. If he turns towards you anytime during the Scroll animation, you will fail due to the AntiMagic Field, and the scroll will be "used"... same with casting a spell. Now, I can understand for a failed Concentration Check, but not for Anti-Magic Fields. Barbarian Rage should REALLY be PoD vs. PoA. If you click your Barbarian Rage, and accidentally move before the game decides the entire animation and "casting" or Rage is complete, it 'costs' you that rage AND it activates the cooldown timer. The Cooldown Timer should not be invoked in these cases... same with trying to cast a wand/scroll/spell in an Anti-Magic Field. If you fail due to a Concentration/UMD/ASF/CasterLevel Check (ie. anything that requires a d20 roll), then I can understand the scroll/wand usage charge taken and the cooldown initiated... but if you are prevented due to Anti-Magic, or something like that, there should be no SP usage/Wand or Scroll Usage/Cooldown Initiation.

I think that is all for today!
    Benedict, Beldin, Dworkin... too many to list
    Founder: Guild of Amber (Mabar/Argo)

Community Member Dworkin_of_Amber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HumanJHawkins View Post
    I'll try to update it every couple of days or so, until a better method is found... The trouble is that there is a great deal of opinion that goes into such a thing, and I really don't want to force my opinions onto everyone else. Anyway, yes. I'll do it until either people start hating me , or a better system is made.

I'll try to get the great post from Dworkin in later today... But I have work to do first. Dooh!
    LOL.. thanks!

If you want, I can take care of this. During the week, at work, I don't have much else to do, so I am willing to maintain a spreadsheet of ideas... I've done this as part of my job in the past as well!
    Benedict, Beldin, Dworkin... too many to list
    Founder: Guild of Amber (Mabar/Argo)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalanth View Post
    I was in the right series.
    I only know off the top of my head cause I just wrote it up for my Unofficial Prestige-Class-as-Enhancement Compendium.
    Ask a Loremaster.

There are a lot of good things happening with the upcoming module. A few tweeks.
    Spells: the more base spells that can be added the better.

Dead woods sniper: How about making the increased crit range and modifier permanent. More like barb crit rage but since it is only a +1 leave it on permenantly. This would allow for much better ranger dps, espescially with the increase to hit rate.

Tempest: Good the way it is but I would really like to know how much of an attack speed boost. To see if giving up 3 feats is worth it.

Arcane Archer: Where are the exploding arrows. It would be really cool to have the ability to make fireball arrows. I believe this is still a feature of the arcane archer. Its been awhile since I played PnP D&D.

Double ended weapons: Wouldn't they be able to use the same attack animation as quarterstaffs. If so these should be fairly easy to implent.

Familiars: Is part of the problem that with all the animal companions and familiars running around you add that many more animations in a zone, ergo more lag issues and slower performance?? If so I would rather have a smooth running game then an animal friend that gets one shoted by kobolds. Unless you made them scale properly.

Thanks Codog for the thread and the really good communication

D'rin

Hey Codog,

This might not be in the scope of things you do but I really have no idea who to address this to, so here goes.

Collectables: will these things be abandoned over time? There are no collectable emplacements in the Gianthold or Orchard modules. Were these things meant to be temporary, for low-level (1-10)? Will we ever see a re-vamp of collectables, maybe rolled into crafting? (Collectables as crafting components)

Breakables: Similarly, like collectables, you're giving us more of a reason to break stuff in quests with the new Mod 6 Khyber Dragonshards. But will we ever see a very high-end reason to break things? Like say 0.1% chance of quest_level loot, unique items (candy canes, nothing too fancy), troll underpants and craftable components or something like that.

P.S. I love crafting

Page 7 of 76 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast