Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    A mobile construct citadel in the Mournland where I plot fleshling death.

Default Shadow Mage: A Build. A Philosophy.

**********EDIT 6 Nov 2010: Link to full and updated build**********

I've had a lot of fun with my main, Ghoste. Recently some guildies and other friends have expressed interest in my build, so I finally decided to post the basics of it here on the forums.

Most importantly, I want readers to realize that the enjoyment I get out of this build is as much a philosophy to approaching quests and challenges as it is a character build.

End stats assume some gear and self buffs for stealth skills. Didn't really bother figuring out gear for the rest of the build; players can do that easily enough themselves.

And I made a little video demonstration of some of the neat stuff this build can do.
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Shadow Mage 
    Level 14 True Neutral Warforged Male
    (14 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 154 (+dragon favor hp +greater false life +toughness helm = 230)
    Spell Points: 1293 (with magi item equipped, all spell point enhancements, both mental toughnesses) 
    BAB: 7\7\12
    Fortitude: 11
    Reflex: 9
    Will: 8

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 14)
    Strength             10                    10
    Dexterity            14                    20
    Constitution         16                    24
    Intelligence         18                    32
    Wisdom                8                     8
    Charisma              6                     6

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 14

Starting          End
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 14)
    Balance               2                     9.5
    Bluff                -2                    -2
    Concentration         7                    20
    Diplomacy            -2                    -2
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle               -2                    -2
    Heal                 -1                    -1
    Hide                  4                    30.5
    Intimidate           -2                    -2
    Jump                  2                     8.5
    Listen               -1                    -1
    Move Silently         4                    32.5
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform              n/a                   n/a
    Repair                6                    20
    Search                4                     6
    Spot                  1                     21.5
    Swim                  0                     0
    Tumble                3                     3
    Use Magic Device     n/a                   n/a

The stealth skills are cross class for a wizard, so it would obviously be quite possible to get them higher by either doing the same idea as a bard, ranger, or rogue, or by taking a level as one of those classes.

To give you an idea of the kind of stuff you can manage with this build, a guildie with the same build went with me through the Shrieking Mines. We managed to complete the quest by doing ONLY the quest objectives. That means we went in there, killed the 5 ogre magi and the 3 mindflayers, and absolutely nothing else. We are setting goals in our guild to do other quests in a similar manner.

For 28 points, leave str at 8 and wis at 6.
    Last edited by Tolero; 03-10-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Default Wow.

Killer man. I must say I'm impressed, thanks for sharing.

Edit: Make sure ya'll watch the video!

Oh yes, definitely a very fun build.

My wf wizard is setup similarly, except I started with a 19 con instead of a 16.
    Last edited by Osharan Tregarth; 11-21-2007 at 06:21 PM.
    Osharan, Esharan, Osharina, Usharina, etc... I'm the 'sharans. Epoxy. Notverysexy.
    I've taken the craft disturbing mental image feat... You have been warned!
    Share and Enjoy!

People highly undervalue the power of stealth, thats for sure.

I semi-recently made a wizard/ranger to be a wizard with an emphasis on stealth and it is quite amazing how effectively you can handle a quest with unaggroed charms, unseen fears, and other fun no-aggro spells (like blindness).
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

I respecced Cindar (my original 28 pt. elf wiz) to a stealthy buildy last night. Liking it a lot so far, though i didn't get to play much. I think it will take some getting used to, but seems like a fun new challenge. Anyway, thanks again for posting Ghoste.

Community Member

I'll be honest thats some nice work on the video. My casters aren't specced for that kind of stuff. My rogue has the sneaking skills, but comined with the casting power it's very unique and fun I'm sure.

Community Member

Why not max out Move Silently and keep Hide low (i.e. not maxed out)? The invisibility spell will give a +20 boost to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Staedtler
    Why not max out Move Silently and keep Hide low (i.e. not maxed out)? The invisibility spell will give a +20 boost to hide.
    Invisibility breaks upon casting a spell. Depending on how you apply that invisibility you will be spending 15 SP, some gold, or expending a wand/clickie charge. Given the amount of times I've cast a spell and restealthed right afterwards I can say that this wouldn't be a good option for me.

Also, there are critters who can see through invisibility as an innate ability (Renders/Reavers/Flensers, Vampires, Beholders, Duergar, etc.).
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Amazing stuff, Ghoste. You are truly a DDO ninja! That video was incredibly eye-opening? I have to ask, though - how often does this kind of stealth tactic "go bad" and what are some of the key things that make it not work?
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post
    I have some goals with this character. Among them is to get through the beholder room in VoN 3 without being seen by a single beholder, activate all 3 runes, and move on.
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by courderoyguy View Post
    Amazing stuff, Ghoste. You are truly a DDO ninja! That video was incredibly eye-opening? I have to ask, though - how often does this kind of stealth tactic "go bad" and what are some of the key things that make it not work?
    At first, a lot. It takes a lot of practice to avoid monsters as they move about. It just takes accidentally bumping into something to be found out.

your character is all play style i hate to say, and if that is wha you like... then power to ya bra

Thumbs up DDOcast vid

Definitely have to give you kudos that video was awesome. I must aggree, you are a DDO ninja. Also I have to say that I hope I never have to go up against you in a pvp arena or event. HAIL GHOSTE THE DDO NINJA!!! HAIL! HAIL! HAIL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
    I have some goals with this character. Among them is to get through the beholder room in VoN 3 without being seen by a single beholder, activate all 3 runes, and move on.
    I'd like to help on that one... Hmm.. Mass Camo...
    It is not about the destination, it is about the journey.
    All my Characters Loathe the stupid term " Toon "

Great playstyle, hard to do in groups. People get itchy trigger fingers when ducked down behind a mob. Too tempting for most. Plus, more people = more chances to be spotted, unless you go in accepting that if you get spotted you are on your own.
    Tourbillon * Hyper * Headbanger * Speedstick * Arkane

guildless

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Skwerl View Post
    Great playstyle, hard to do in groups. People get itchy trigger fingers when ducked down behind a mob. Too tempting for most. Plus, more people = more chances to be spotted, unless you go in accepting that if you get spotted you are on your own.
    Well... Did you see that spot in the video with the sacrificial summoned pet? That's what the other party members in the group are for....
    Osharan, Esharan, Osharina, Usharina, etc... I'm the 'sharans. Epoxy. Notverysexy.
    I've taken the craft disturbing mental image feat... You have been warned!
    Share and Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Skwerl View Post
    I do it in groups all the time. Sometimes the group appreciates it, sometimes they don't. Did a Titan run recently with Tinted Faces (btw, you guys rock. I was very impressed with your ability to do that raid) and was able to use stealth as the crystal runner. The times I ran the crystals meant having the warforged stay in the crystal room instead of chasing a party member outside.

Quote Originally Posted by youbei View Post
    your character is all play style i hate to say, and if that is wha you like... then power to ya bra
    Not sure how you get that. Leave the stealth play style out of it, and it's still a very potent wizard. I run with groups all the time without resorting to stealth and don't have any problems any other wizard would.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonFalcon View Post
    Also I have to say that I hope I never have to go up against you in a pvp arena or event.
    I've honestly never tested whether stealth works in PvP...

It doesnt unfortunetly. The closest you can really get to being stealthy is physically hiding behind stuff, or casting invisibility on yourself, which almost makes you look like you are already dead. almost. read: worked once and it was great, but worked only once.

Nice Ghoste.

I have run with ghoste on several occasions and he is an excellent player. His build suits his purpose and his gols perfectly. He and I have very different playstyles - I prefer brute force savagery and he prefers stealth. Same ends different means. As an example we have Warforged nights on argonessan (which i have sadly been missing for a while but hope to attend again soon), we were going to do a titan run but were worried we didnt have enough bots flagged for it. So ghost went and soloed Shriekers and i did the same on Ghola Fan with Babyeater (arcane Psychoe). No recalls just doin the mission. It went beautifully the bots logged in at the appointed time and stepped in for completion. Then we wrecked the titan but thats a whole other story.

An excellent build if you have the mindset for patience and stealth.

N
    GROAN-1 (Melee/Casting Horc FVS)

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast