Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation The Emerald Conspiracy Chapter III: Update

Attention heroes and citizens of Stormreach:

The Coin Lords have received the following report from Inquisitive Ingaram:

“Hail good Sirs of the Coin Lords. I had a conversation with Brother Mirashai today. In his travels, he spotted an unusual cargo being unloaded by a group of men – one matching the description of the notorious +Derneal - at Sorrowdusk Isle. It is my professional opinion that they may be attempting to smuggle something into Stormreach.”

The Coin Lords have asked that I share this information with those who would be interested in exploring Sorrowdusk Isle and researching this issue as reported by Inquisitive Ingaram. If you do go to Sorrowdusk, please bring a full experienced party of level 7 or higher. If anyone is being smuggled into Stormreach, please put an end to their plans. You may keep any items you find in your explorations.

Safe harbor to Sorrowdusk has been scheduled for the following times:

Ghallanda: Friday, November 9th, 7:00pm EST
    Argonnessen: Friday, November 9th, 8:00pm EST
    Thelanis: Friday, November 9th, 9:00pm EST
    Khyber: Friday, November 9th, 10:00pm EST
    Sarlona: Friday, November 9th, 11:00pm EST

Report back with your findings. Thank you and may the Silver Flame guide you back safely.

Default yeah

Great stuff, love the news. Keep it up

I would just like to say, these are the best events so far! M.A.C. will be out in full force on this dark night!
    M.A.C. The only way to go!
    In honor of General Dane McArdy:
    FOR PUDDING!

Terrah sat at her table once again in the pheonix with Muckka staring back. They had said nothing since the morning and were waiting in the tavern as they had for the past 3 days since Terrah had sent a message to the emerald claw and Tchurvul asking for a meeting with him.
    She knew if she did not warn him that his actions may cause more dire consequences than he could imagine but it was unlikely he would listen.

It was only a few minutes later that she got her answer as a messenger from the coin lords walked in the front door. His message was short as he called it out to the tavern.
    Some of the patrons nodded and rung their hands in ancitipation.
    Terrah mumbled under her breath
    "So its sorrowdusk now is it?"
    She then clasped the hilt of her sword at her side tightly and growled and then rose from her chair and walked through the tavern, Muckka grabbed her shoulder and tried to make her stop but terrah waived it off. She thumped in her heavy boots up to the coin lords messenger and shot her finger at him.
    "Coin Lord messenger!! Go back to your Lords and give them this message from Terrah. We are not your personal army to sacrifice as you see fit. We will do this deed for you once more but I tire of dirtying my sword with blood while the high and mighty sit in their hovels drinking wine while worthy fighters go off to be cannon fodder with little to no reward!!"
    The messenger said nothing but bowed deeply and left.
    Muckka walked up shaking her head as other patrons in the tavern shuffling about.
    Terrah hissed "Dont look at me like that Muckka. The paladin in me says to vanquish evil without question but the sensible elf in me tells me that I do not march forth like a common soldier when the coin lords snap their fingers."
    Terrah then clicked the edge of her belt and then whirled in step to make for the stairs.
    "I only hope this time my travels will be worth the effort instead of another goose chase like in the Haven."
    As she walked she saw the same wanted poster tacked up in the tavern that the coin lord had left showing the dreaded Tchurvul standing in defience of authority. She smiled reached in her puch and pulled out a piece of charcoal and then began to smile as she sketched out another fancy artwork.
    "Well there's always time for that isn't there?" Terrah turned to Muckka as her friend viewed the now mustached character again.
    They both laughed out loud as other patrons also joined in and began to add their personal drawings to the poster. Soon it looked as funny as it had before with bushy hair and crossed eyes to add to the comedy.
    The tavern began to share and make jokes at the expense of the wanted evil wizard and the pheonix, at least for now, was filled with the songs of joy. For, in a few days the hunt begins again.
    Who's the more foolish, the fool or the one who sends it a res.
    Unrestricted free agent
    Khyber
    Characters - Terrah, Elayne, Shiado, Ranok, Rattchet

Community Member Mad_Bombardier's Avatar

Dude, ccheath. How is it every time Tchurvel or Derneal show up, you are there? ...and recording complete transcripts. Methinks you might be the Emerald Stenographer! Get 'im guys!

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Hmm....sounds like fun... My wife would understand me cancelling our anniversary plans based on the need to fight this evil threat right?

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    Hmm....sounds like fun... My wife would understand me cancelling our anniversary plans based on the need to fight this evil threat right?
    I don't think even the blessing of the Silver Flame itself could save you from that one.

Default Sigh

Always on a night ai cant do it. Its like Turbine has my work schedule and my personel schedule all combined into one calendar of pain and suffering.

Have fun to all that get to be involved in the protection of StormReach.
    Quintary(drow) 6 wiz/4 fight/3rog - Kerrigan PeaceBringer (Dwarf) 1fight/9cler-Frinendale (human) 1 wiz - Aiforowen (elf)3 Pal/1rog - Debris (WF) 13 fight - Galviston (Dwarf) Ran3/Pal4 Steeltotem 4barb/3cleric
    Guild Leader Maelstrom Ghallanda

Default Sad....and Happy

While I'm sad for the people that wont get to participate, I feel for you missed the last one that my friend walked away with 3 Tchurval Kukri's from, but I get to participate in this one, and shortly later that evening get to play with my PnP group that has missed our weekly get togethers for the last month and half because of scheduling.

So ummmm,..............................

THANKS TURBINE
    "At the end of all things, let it not be said that I didn't pull the switch that killed us all."

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Bombardier View Post
    Dude, ccheath. How is it every time Tchurvel or Derneal show up, you are there? ...and recording complete transcripts. Methinks you might be the Emerald Stenographer! Get 'im guys!
    I am there everytime so I can get photos and put them on Tchurvuls epitaph when I send him to his evil gods one day. The transcripts or so I can tell my grandchildren about how soundly the citizens of stormreach trounced the threat.
    Who's the more foolish, the fool or the one who sends it a res.
    Unrestricted free agent
    Khyber
    Characters - Terrah, Elayne, Shiado, Ranok, Rattchet

Community Member

Default Request for the live events...

First, I *like* the fact that you guys are running this ongoing storyline, but let me throw out a few observations concerning the last one that might stir thoughts before the next one (the one after Sorrowdusk).

1) having the events start late and end early tis annoying, but I understand that you have to get set for the next server, have a bathroom break, etc.

2) much, much, more frustrating is having the 'special instances' be only those where a dev comes into to spawn a couple of mobs. While i can appreciate a couple of knock-down brawls with mass mobs, it just seems like it could be so much better.
    2.i.) The devs can't get to every instance as happened last time at Ataraxia's Haven for some players.
    2.ii.) The feel of the story is lost (imo) when we go in and randomly have mobs spawn in the middle of openness just because.

These could be fixed by doing something like the following idea... or if this idea doesn't fit, please try something to address them.

While I don't know the fullness of the complexity of creating your instances, it would seem to me that the work breaks down into 3 parts:
    a) terrain design and images (major work)
    b) monster design and images and AI (major work)
    c) creation of "triggers" which have part b in part a.... wouldn't seem to be the major undertaking the first two were. While I *do* understand it is not as easy as "wave a wand over the keyboard and it is so", given that a & b are done and finished, part c has been done by many people over many years everytime a fan creates a mod for a game or a new level... and it gets faster with experience... experience I would assume the Turbine staff has.

If the time was taken to take the map of Sorrowdusk and just add a few location triggers (i.e. if player does x then y spawns/happens at z) which continues the storyline of +Tchurvul and crew, then the time issue from the dev side to be present and spawning things would be fixed and the players would have a better flowing story/experience. It would even be reasonably easy for the Turbine staff to compile the results of the various instances that people run during the live event (read realtime continuing storyline) to have our actions AFFECT the storyarc... wouldn't THAT be a blast for the playerbase.

To further make it easy for the Turbine staff (this would pay off more and more over time), you could code in a time trigger on the instances so that if party A goes into an instance of (say) Sorrowdusk at 9:59 or earlier, they hit the normal Sorrowdusk map, if the party creates an instance of Sorrowdusk between 10 to 11 (or even longer as the program is controlling the on/off times) then a special, live-event instance (i.e. map with modifications) is created.

Think about what you could have done for Halloween. I remember a game (the name escapes me) which had special areas that only opened up during the real life full moon times... if the moon was full (the 3 day window), you could access a special map.

(slight topic shift, but still applies)
    In my opinion what will help keep this game alive and interesting is the ability of a player to feel like they are working towards something worthwhile... be that a higher character level, a dungeon that needs to be figured out, hunting down better equipment, designing a house, making a museum collection,... or affecting the storyarc. Sadly, for a long time now, there really hasn't been much that a person can do to feel that progression with the exception of figuring out dungeons (Mod 5). While I appreciate the effort which went into making those dungeons (and I do actually like the Orchard quests, think that most of the new Necro quests are cool & challenging (with the exception of the rat maze... that one just bores me waiting on the rat to shamble his way around /shrug), that challenge is very much a short-lived event by it's very nature.... there are only so many dungeons and they take massive amounts of time to make.

So something else (one of the other items on the above list... or something I'm not thinking of at the moment) should be present... hopefully something which doesn't require massive time expenditures on the part of the devs.

Just my 2cents.
    -Tygre of Thelanis, Tharashk and Xoriot
    Last edited by Tygre; 11-08-2007 at 07:28 AM.

Community Member

Is this mentioned in the new calendar? Seems there are no events on Fri 9th.

Or is the calendar showing events in my (not Turbine's) local time? (which makes the event on Sat 10 Nov 2007 ~noon on my server). If so the calendar is not working properly.

I won't mention vBulletin is not fully day light saving compliant as my timezone/offset is not shown correctly...opps.
    Jesus saves but only Buddha makes incremental backups.

Am i the only one who wasted 90min's on this nonsense??
    "Damn his science is too tight..." - Professor Murder

Default Thanks a whole bunch.

NOT.

What I want to say is thanks for screwing the pooch turbine. Just spent an hour and 15 minutes in and out of Sorrowdusk on Ghallanda.

You really screwed what could have been an awesome event. Thanks for wasting what little time I have left for this game anymore.
    "At the end of all things, let it not be said that I didn't pull the switch that killed us all."

Community Member

Default Emerald Claw

We encountered the emerald claw guys. 6 chests...nothing above +2 loot. Oh well, we killed a number of emerald claw guys. I'll add screenies when I get the time.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

What a piece of garbage. Started late, the instructions in the world broadcast were so unclear that many people didn't know if they should be on the boat or the island. Spawning a couple mobs on the boat only made it worse since then people were convinced thats where the event was going to happen. People who weren't forumites didn't have a clue what to look for or what the heck was going on. 1 hour in no announcements that anyone had found anything, no updates to tell us if the event was still going on or not, nothing...

Complete load of *words that will earn me points*

This is even worse than the Necro "event".

Take a lesson from the Pirate event. A clear message of what to do and where, a GM there to give clarification, a clear message when the pirates were found, a part after.

This...garbage.

Default Bleh and Meh

We found 4 chests and a pile of emerald claw guys. Fun ... but not real fun... because it was look for 45 minutes... fight for 20 seconds... loot lvl 4 loot. Not exactly the greatest event, but something interesting to do I guess. Would be better if there were something more one time quest like or had more spams of mobs or something. Just kind of bleh and meh.

Just my honest opinion.
    Member of Legendary Knights of Mabar :: Dex | Yonathan | Rexxx | Sallyanne | Yonn | Cazz | Qyx | Vexation | Brio | Fixxx | Sinz | Sykopath

Community Member

arrgghh

our group got the regular sorrowdusk instance :[

Our group of adventures disembarked the boat and after a few feet of travel discovered footprints on the unspoiled beach. We followed and spotted a swift emerald claw who caste magical haste upon himself and ran up the hill toward our right. We followed in hot pursuit, ready to fight evil and were met with an ambush! An army of Emerald claw descended around us on all sides. Apparently the poor chaps were not instructed to plug their ears with wax.. for they were soon fascinated and singing aloud a chorus as we dispatched them one by one.

We continued onward, seeking out the swift claw that had eluded us previously. We were again met with another ambush of claw soldiers and a rather disgruntled Clay golem. We were able to secure the hoard of weapons cached at this location.

We decided to loop around and found ourselves on top of a large temple structure. We heard the sounds of humans below speaking with a Karrnathi accent. Carefully we crept to the edge of the temple and peered down at the scene below. An army of Emerald claw was entrenched below us. Their numbers were more than we could count and their ranks bellied with Earth Elementals and hounds from xoriat. One halfling cleric began a sermon to the dark six.. this seemed like a perfect chance to attack! After a lengthy battle which nearly cost us our lives we were able to secure the weapons cache. Hopefully Tchurvul will find it more dificult than he had previously planned.

Let me get this straight, my party forms and reforms over 15 times within an hours time and we got....nothing. Not one emerald calw anything. Are you sure there even was a live event? Because as far as I can tell, there was nothing. Thanks for wasting an hour of our time. Much appreciated! >.<
    Proud Leader of the Shadowhand.

A is A. -John Galt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast