Default Hark the Herald (A build by request)

From Sigtrent's Build Request Thread

Build Name: Hark the Herald
    Author: Sigfried Trent
    Requester: RemoJr
    Last Updated: 05/27/10

Key Words [Virtuoso, Haggle, Crowd Control, Bard]

Objectives
    The requester wanted a 32pt virtuoso who could do some solo play. A simple request and in the end a pretty simple build.

Design
    Virtuoso is all about the crowd control and songs so I wanted a pure bard that could cast as strongly as can be. For the solo part of the request I kept things simple. Give him a decent starting strength and reasonable con. With a good weapon they should be able to take down hefty targets and stay alive through CC and self healing. Soloing red names can be tricky, but aside from that it should do well. At later levels they can contribute to beating down incapacitated monsters fairly well.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 True Neutral Human Male
    (20 Bard) 
    Hit Points: 222
    Spell Points: 826 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 8
    Reflex: 11
    Will: 11

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             16                    16
    Dexterity             8                     8
    Constitution         14                    15
    Intelligence          8                     8
    Wisdom                8                     8
    Charisma             18                    29

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               3                    21
    Bluff                 4                     9
    Concentration         6                    25
    Diplomacy             4                    11
    Disable Device       n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                8                    32
    Heal                 -1                    -1
    Hide                 -1                    -1
    Intimidate            4                     9
    Jump                  6                    26
    Listen               -1                     1
    Move Silently        -1                    -1
    Open Lock            n/a                   n/a
    Perform               8                    36
    Repair               -1                    -1
    Search               -1                    -1
    Spot                 -1                    -1
    Swim                  3                     3
    Tumble                0                     0
    Use Magic Device      8                    32

Level 1 (Bard)
    Skill: Balance (+4)
    Skill: Concentration (+4)
    Skill: Haggle (+4)
    Skill: Jump (+3)
    Skill: Perform (+4)
    Skill: Tumble (+1)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+4)
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Spell Focus: Enchantment
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    Enhancement: Bard Extra Song I
    Enhancement: Human Versatility I
    Enhancement: Bard Perform I
    Enhancement: Bard Song Magic I

Level 2 (Bard)
    Skill: Balance (+1)
    Skill: Concentration (+1)
    Skill: Haggle (+1)
    Skill: Jump (+1)
    Skill: Perform (+1)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)
    Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage I
    Enhancement: Bard Energy of the Music I
    Enhancement: Bard Charisma I

Level 3 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
    Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack I
    Enhancement: Bard Lingering Song I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I

Level 4 (Bard)
    Ability Raise: CHA
    Enhancement: Bard Extra Song II
    Enhancement: Bard Song Magic II

Level 5 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Charisma I
    Enhancement: Bard Perform II

Level 6 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
    Enhancement: Bard Charisma II

Level 7 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Bard Extra Song III
    Enhancement: Bard Wand Mastery I

Level 8 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage II
    Enhancement: Bard Lingering Song II

Level 9 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment

Level 10 (Bard)
    Skill: Jump (+2)
    Enhancement: Bard Extra Song IV
    Enhancement: Bard Virtuoso I

Level 11 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Bard Music of Makers
    Enhancement: Bard Music of the Dead

Level 12 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Heighten Spell
    Enhancement: Bard Inspired Damage III

Level 13 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack II

Level 14 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I

Level 15 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    Enhancement: Bard Charisma III

Level 16 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Bard Song Magic III

Level 17 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Bard Inspired Attack III

Level 18 (Bard)
    Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Bard Improved Spell Penetration I

Level 19 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Human Greater Adaptability Constitution I

Level 20 (Bard)
    Enhancement: Bard Musical Prodigy
    Enhancement: Bard Energy of the Music II
    Play
    Hold first, kill later. This is a slower paced character that makes deliberate and planned moves. Set the trap, pick your fights and only kill what you need to kill. You will not have a great time in quests with wild zerging madmen as its a build that rewards team play and planning. That said you should be able to get the best of nearly anything with your control casting so long as it isn't blanket immune.

Variations
    28pts is pretty simple. Just lower charisma to 16 and throw the extra two points into con or dex. I didn't include tomes on this build as they are just gravy here. Certainly Charisma, Strength , and Con would be the ones to go after.
    Last edited by sigtrent; 05-27-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Talking

awesome dude, thanks. My work leaves me playing at odd hours sometimes and groups just arn't easy at said tims. I've always wanted to try soloing before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lawrence View Post
    Remember to have your kobolds spayed or neutered.

drop heighten. On a bard, if your going to try and raise the dc of your spells, spell focus works much better. Doesnt burn extra mana.

If your going 2handed, switch to slashing or blunt for sure, and i would recommend 2handed, as your AC is never going to reach a level that would actually provide protection unless you get the perfect gear and build for it.

Also, virtuoso is gunna be a good fit for a build like this, when your soloing. Songs do get alot of use, though with 20 at 14 your gunna find yourself shrining with 4-8 songs left over alot of the time.
    Aundair, New Khyber
    Alreck Gingerbarrel(15clr/1barb), Torrak Gingerbarrel(16 Brd), Oat(13 Rgr/3Ftr), Moxxy(16 Sor), Thorrac Gingerbarrel(6 Pal/1 Ftr) <<Current Toons>>

Quote Originally Posted by nbhs275 View Post
    drop heighten. On a bard, if your going to try and raise the dc of your spells, spell focus works much better. Doesnt burn extra mana.
    Already have spell focus of course... but heighten could be swapped out. I do find it pretty handy. Most bard spells are will saves but soundburst is Fortatude so getting its DC up nice and high makes it a pretty nice CC option. Definately not a requirement. Quicken might be a great alternative. It's cheap and it lets you use ottos as a reaction spell instead of a preemptive one.

If your going 2handed, switch to slashing or blunt for sure, and i would recommend 2handed, as your AC is never going to reach a level that would actually provide protection unless you get the perfect gear and build for it.
    I don't think quarterstaves or greatclubs are worth it, everything else is going to take non-proficeincy. It's also harder to keep from breaking multiple mezez when you go two handed. My battle bard is a two hander, but he's a whole differnt kind of build. I think for bards wtih a martial weapon class its a good way to go, but not so much for pure bards and generaly not in the early levels where that shield can make a big difference.

Also, virtuoso is gunna be a good fit for a build like this, when your soloing. Songs do get alot of use, though with 20 at 14 your gunna find yourself shrining with 4-8 songs left over alot of the time.
    Agreed. Even on my main bard character who has only 12 songs, I hardly ever go thourh all of them unless were fascinate-zerging a quest or it's an especialy long one. But my bard Gabriazar is notoriously lazy.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

quarterstaffs arent the best, though the dreamspitters can be a fun tool. Greatclub is ****, though mauls are nice. With blunt, i got the dreamspitter for mobs like elementals. And mauls for actual DPS fights, as they are just as effective as greataxes.

and the mez thing? who kills what they mez? i usually just run past those.

Soundburst, even though its a different save(fort) has the nasty backlash of breaking mez. Also, fort is rarely the weak save. Mostly on the squishy caster mobs.
    Aundair, New Khyber
    Alreck Gingerbarrel(15clr/1barb), Torrak Gingerbarrel(16 Brd), Oat(13 Rgr/3Ftr), Moxxy(16 Sor), Thorrac Gingerbarrel(6 Pal/1 Ftr) <<Current Toons>>

Community Member

Unhappy Spells?

I've never really made a bard before, and I don't know what spells to take. Maybe some ideas?

what spells you want really depends. someone with max charisma and DCs will have a very different-looking spell list than someone with little to no charisma. in general, if you're not capped as a pure bard, your save DCs will be too low (barring exceptional amounts of gear. also in general, spells that are good for low-cha bards remain good for high-cha bards.

level 1: master's touch, focusing chant, expeditious retreat. cure is useful at level, not so hot later. if you have the DCs for it, charm person/hypnotism/otto's resistible dance all have their uses. sonic blast if you have several sorcerer past life feats would be decent. if you don't have good DCs, take your pick of buffing spells.

level 2: blur, rage, heroism (only needed for saves and skills, and becomes obsolete later when you get good hope), invisibility. cure is still useful at level. if you have the DCs, soundburst is ok, suggestion is pretty danged good, glitterdust is ok, and you can use hypnotic pattern but your party will hate you and want to leave your soul stone in a deep pit of lava (which is not the same thing as not being effective, mind you - it just has a *really* annoying graphic). the stat buff spells get an honorable mention, but you unfortunately lack the two that would likely benefit you most (strength and con), though +4 cha could be handy for a little while if you're trying to keep your save DCs maxed.

level 3: good hope (useful for skills and saves, also good if your song wears off, and is an AOE buff saving you time and mana). displacement, haste. if you have the DCs, charm monster, crushing despair, and slow could be decent. dispel magic is ok as a filler for the short term, and i haven't tested this but fear looks to be quite useful if you *don't* have the DCs for it (making every mob in a cone shaken has it's uses. making them panic'd will just annoy you and every other person in the group, unless they're already held maybe)

level 4: break enchantment is pretty good, freedom of movement is awesome, dimension door is useful, and otto's dancing sphere is ok even if you do have a low DC (but not if it's completely dumped, i suspect; haven't experimented with that). hold monster is excellent if you have the save DC for it. shout is not particularly useful *ever*, as far as i can tell, but if for some reason you're fixated on dealing damage, i guess this is the spell for you. but, if that was your goal (dealing damage with spells) you really should have chosen a class that was not bard.

level 5: greater heroism for saves and skills, greater dispel magic, and mass cure are probably the best choices if you don't have high DC spells. mass suggestion and mind fog can be excellent choices if you have the DC. shadow walk is ok. the summon would be kinda decent, but the simple fact is that you can scroll it easily. however, if you're too cheap to spend plat on it and your save DCs are terrible, i would place it ahead of mass suggestion and mind fog, and you don't have an awful lot of other options anyways...

level 6: Otto's irresistible dance and cure moderate wounds, mass, are your best options. heroes feast is decent, but at least requires no save DC. mass charm is good if you have the DC, greater shout is basically just soundburst with more damage (note: you shouldn't be doing it for the damage, but for the stun). the summon monster is in basically the same category here as with 5th level spells.

edit: (attempting to format to remove a bit of the "wall of text" effect)

Quote Originally Posted by sigtrent View Post
    I don't think quarterstaves or greatclubs are worth it, everything else is going to take non-proficeincy. It's also harder to keep from breaking multiple mezez when you go two handed. My battle bard is a two hander, but he's a whole differnt kind of build. I think for bards wtih a martial weapon class its a good way to go, but not so much for pure bards and generaly not in the early levels where that shield can make a big difference.

Agreed. Even on my main bard character who has only 12 songs, I hardly ever go thourh all of them unless were fascinate-zerging a quest or it's an especialy long one. But my bard Gabriazar is notoriously lazy.
    My personal experience disagrees with every sentence above. Going in order:

• You're a bard; you have Master's Touch. I haven't had a problem with it since the spell was last modified.
    • My war chanter spams Fascinate and uses a two-hander. It's rare that I'll catch even one mezzed mob in a glancing blow.
    • Okay, 'disagree' is the wrong word for this one. My own battle bard is functionally similar to what I think is the intended play style of this build; plan the fight, lay down crowd control, THEN hack the monsters to pieces.
    • I agree about shields being useful, though in practice, the only time I've used mine leveling my war chanter has been when I'm using a throwing weapon (grabbing archer aggro and shield blocking leads to good times for the other melees in a party). For anything in melee range, I can avoid dying through some combination of killing it quickly, kiting, and Fascinating; a shield doesn't help with any of those, while a two-handed weapon does.
    • I manage to burn up most of my songs sometimes. Then again, I spam them whenever I'm in doubt. After all, how will I learn the timing of a Fascinate-Everything run if I don't practice? :-)
    Last edited by Gorbadoc; 12-24-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumani View Post
    I've never really made a bard before, and I don't know what spells to take. Maybe some ideas?
    I have an idea. Look at the recent threads that include that information instead of 3 year old threads. I think you might just be looking less than new information when there are plenty of newer threads discussing spells.

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

I am really thinking about Virtuoso, and I love sig's builds.

My question is, how does this build change with Virt II? Would you take Virt I sooner than lvl 10 now?
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock