Thread: lit 2's.

Default lit 2's.

After making a longbow I just wasn't as impressed as I thought id be. I mean I thought id be hittn for 1d12 1d6 and 1d10 of holy shock shock. That and the 2% didn't see to show up as much as id liked even when pumping out manyshot.

So Here it is time to make my arti his GS and im thinking.. do I really need this extra thing that only works if I hit a crit?

I mean id be using this thing a bit, and at low level no less, what if I took +2 exceptional dex? maybe 20% shock absorption? You know I'd have an extra +1 to hit or take less dmg instead of rolling the dice hoping for a crit.

What ya think?
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

I won't venture an opinion, but I'll add a few points:

First,
    Any Good/Holy (including burst and blast) weapon is a DR beater for you, since you can add Alchemical Silver. You know, in case anyone reading this thread was debating between LitII or MinII.

Second,
    Repeating crossbows have a 19-20/x2 crit profile; longbows are 20/x3. Assume Imp Crit: Ranged. Shocking Burst and Shocking Blast will give:
    20% chance of d10 damage from each effect with a repeater.
    10% chance of 2d10 damage from each effect with a longbow.

So the burst/blast damage has the same average, but it has a lower variance on the repeater. That's good news if the sporadic nature of the bursts and blasts was bugging you.

Third,
    To weigh the bonus To Hit from exceptional dexterity, people need to know what stat you're using to attack. One option for an artificer is to take a high-ish dexterity, but to max intelligence. So it's Insightful Strikes when monster AC is high; Insightful Damage when monster AC is low.

When you're using dexterity to attack, yeah, the idea has merit. My brain isn't working well enough to do the math right now, but it looks like +d10 damage in 4 rolls out of 20 (blast) versus full (non-critical) weapon damage in one roll out of 20 (+2 exceptional dex).

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

So blast is adding 4 instances of d10 damage on every 20 attacks plus 1 instance 4d6 on a vorpal hit.

(4*5.5+4*3.5)/20=1.8 damage/shot. In contrast, +2 exceptional dexterity =+1 AB and +1 reflex save.

Overall, I'd say that either choice is valid and maybe the decider should be if you expect to get a source of exceptional dexterity in another location like a ToD ring.

The items of interest here are:
    2 possible ToD rings (Gilvanors (SP?) probably being one of them)
    Epic spyglass (+2 exceptional intelligence)
    Epic Stalkers Ring

Basically, the stalker ring adds more DPS than shocking blast so if you want to wear it and don't want to wear the spyglass (in favour of litany of the dead) then yes, +2 exceptional dex should go on the bow.

Hmm, interesting, I may adjust my own crafting plans based on this thread, thanks.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Though, this will mean that you won't have exceptional dex if you swap to a different bow like epic hellfire or alchemical.