Default Victorinox Mod 5

Many thanks to Jaysensen and Wiglin for finding this post. I was and remain a bit ****ed off that so much of my work was plain old erased. This build is one I'm quite fond of.

I've elected to update it more based on what I'm seeing of Mod 5, which isn't much, but the enhancements needed updating anyhow.

Again, this build was part of a project that Gol (may he return soon) and I undertook to create a non-rogue version of a DPS Ranger. The Round Mound of Astound remains one of my favorites, and is one of my favorite characters to play -- whenever a new Mod hits, and I and my guild have to go explore unknown territory, Steffon comes out to play. His ability to be a full rogue, provide party buffs, survive, and do extremely respectable DPS is what cements the party in unknown situations.

This build sacrifices much of that utility in order to have stronger defense, great saves, and stronger all-around offense.

The Victorinox (named after the Swiss Army Knife)

Dwarf - 32 point build.
    Level 14 Lawful Good Dwarf Male
    (3 Paladin / 11 Ranger)

BAB: 14/14/19/24

Strength 16 +3 (levels) +1 tome +6 (item) = 26 (+8)
    Dexterity 15 +3 (enh) +1 tome +5 (item) = 24 (+7)
    Constitution 14 +2 (enh) +1 tome +5 (item) = 22 (+6)
    Intelligence 8
    Wisdom 12 +4 (item) = 16 (+3)
    Charisma 12 +1 enh +1 tome +4 (item) = 18 (+4)

HP: 88 (11 lvls Ranger) + 30 (3 lvls Pal) + 20 (heroic) + 10 (draconic) + 84 (con bonus) + 16 (toughness) + 50 (Dwarven Toughness IV) + 5 (Pal Toughness I) = 303 before false life items, 333 w/ Greater False Life item.

SP: 100 (11 Ranger) + 60 (Ranger Wis bonus) + 60 (Pal Wis bonus) + 100 (magi item) = 320 SP

A note on items: Some have protested using +1 tomes, or +6 stat items, or rare gear. As the point of builds is not to create a recipe to be followed slavishly, but a guideline showing ideas and principles, I am certain that people will be able to adapt it. Plus, Mod 4's lootfest showed us that +5 and +6 stat items are commonplace now, and +1 tomes can be had for plats on the AH. I no longer consider use of +1 tomes and +5 items to be extraordinary, and key +6 items are found as static rewards and such.

Note: Forgot to mention, this is a 32point build. For a 28point version of the same, I would recommend taking Dex to 13 and Con to 12. 20 Dex and 18 Con won't destroy the build.

Feats & Progression:

Level 1 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 2 (Paladin)
    Level 3 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Dodge
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead

Level 4 (Ranger)
    Level 5 (Ranger)
    Level 6 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 7 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant
    Level 8 (Ranger)
    Level 9 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Ranger)
    Level 11 (Ranger)
    Level 12 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Aberration
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 13 (Ranger)
    Level 14 (Paladin)

Enhancements:
    [dwarf] - Armor Mastery (Dwarven) I (2)
    [dwarf] - Axe Attack I (2)
    [dwarf] - Axe Attack II (4)
    [dwarf] - Axe Damage I (2)
    [dwarf] - Axe Damage II (4)
    [dwarf] - Constitution (Dwarven) I (2)
    [dwarf] - Constitution (Dwarven) II (4)
    [dwarf] - Toughness (Dwarven) I (1)
    [dwarf] - Toughness (Dwarven) II (2)
    [dwarf] - Toughness (Dwarven) III (3)
    [dwarf] - Toughness (Dwarven) IV (4)
    [paladin] - Bulwark of Good I (2)
    [paladin] - Charisma I (2)
    [paladin] - Extra Lay on Hands I (2)
    [paladin] - Resistance of Good I (2)
    [paladin] - Toughness I (1)
    [ranger] - Dexterity I (2)
    [ranger] - Dexterity II (4)
    [ranger] - Dexterity III (6)
    [ranger] - Favored Attack I (2)
    [ranger] - Favored Damage I (1)
    [ranger] - Favored Damage II (2)

To Hit:
    +14 BAB
    +8 Str bonus
    +1 Weapon Focus
    +2 Axe Attack II
    +4 Greater Hero
    +5 Weapon
    -2 TWF penalty
    ---------------
    +32/+32/+32/+37/+37/+42/+42

-5 for Power Attack mode: +27
    -3 for PA and 2Hander mode: +29
    +2 for Sword/Board mode: +34 (+29 with Power Attack)

+1 to hit vs. Favored Enemy.

Damage (main hand; 1/2 str bonus for offhand):
    +8 Str/+4 Str
    +2 Axe Damage
    +5 Weapon
    ---------
    +15/+11

+5 for Power Attack on both hands.

Add +8 vs. Favored Enemies.

AC:
    10 Base
    5 Mithral Breastplate
    5 Enhancement bonus +5
    5 Max Dex, Mithral BP
    1 Dwarven Armor Mastery I (w/ 22 Dex)
    1 Dodge
    4 Barkskin (self-cast)
    1 Paladin Aura
    1 Bulwark of Good I
    4 Deflection AC (Shield of Faith or Prot item)
    2 Chaosguarde
    -------------
    39 AC in base TWF mode.

43 AC with Shield clicky
    46 AC with +5 HSS

Saving Throws:
    Fort/Ref/Will
    +7/+7/+3 Base 11 levels of Ranger
    +3/+1/+1 Base 3 levels of Paladin
    +1/+1/+1 Paladin Aura
    +1/+1/+1 Resistance of Good I
    +4/+4/+4 Divine Grace with 18 Cha
    +4/+4/+4 Resistance 4 item
    +6/+7/+3 Attributes bonuses/negatives
    +4/+4/+4 Greater Heroism
    -------------------------
    +30/+29/+21 Total

And +2 vs. spells and poison, native to Dwarves.

Notes & Explanation:

Basically, the Victorinox is a flexible combat build that brings many tools to the table, kinda like a swiss army knife.

First, it is a reasonable DPS provider with 7 attacks per round at +27 to hit on the first swing in Power Attack mode. With a +5 Dwarven Axe and a +5 Handaxe, that works out to an average of about 25.5 for the main hand, and 19.5 for the offhand. If all 7 hit, that's an average of 160.5 damage per combat round. That in turn compares favorably to a THF wielding a +5 Greataxe with 32 Strength, whose average damage is roughly 38.5 per swing x 4 = 154 plus glancing blows.

But what makes the Victorinox interesting is that it is reaching 39 AC in TWF mode and 43 with a commonly available Shield clicky. This isn't your Aggro McSquishy build, but a tough, resilient sustained DPS producer.

Inclusion of Power Attack means that when necessary, the Victorinox can flip to a two-hander mode for a bit of extra oomph. 26 Str isn't 32 Str, of course, and it won't compete with Barbarians -- but it won't put you to shame either. +22 from Strength and PA isn't horrible. As a bonus, you don't suffer the -2 to hit from dual-wielding.

Second, it is a reasonable tank when the need is there. By abandoning TWF mode, and strapping on a +5 Heavy Steel Shield, the Victorinox can get its AC up to 46 self-buffed. With better gear such as Chattering Ring or +5 Protection items, obviously the number just goes up from there. With only 46 AC and no Intimidate, the Victorinox cannot serve as the main tank for a Raid, but it can comfortably keep mobs busy while the Cleric is rezzing the main tank.

With 333 HP, it has adequate health to take a hit or three. Combine that with Evasion granted at lvl 9 Ranger, and the self-cast buffs, and the Victorinox makes for quite a resilient build.

Third, with 3 levels of Paladin, the Victorinox is immune to fear and disease, and with his Favored Enemy: Undead, makes the perfect Mummy hunter. And he brings a +2 AC and saves aura with him not to mention two Lay On Hands per rest, and the ability to Smite Evil.

Fourth, eleven levels of Ranger under the current mechanics means that the Victorinox is heads and shoulders above any non-Ranger melee in ranged abilities. Bow Strength, Rapid Shot, Improved Precise Shot, and Manyshot with 3 arrows all equal deathdealing abilities from range. 24 Dex isn't comparable to 32 Dex of the max dex archer, but it isn't bad either. +29 to hit with a Silver Bow using House D arrows isn't a bad thing by any means.

Fifth, under the current mechanics, he self-buffs 30 point elemental resists and +4 Barkskin. Going to 12 Ranger would have provided +5 Barkskin, but the Bulwark and Aura somewhat balance that out, and I felt the immunities would free up more equipment slots to be used for other things such as a Charisma item.

Sixth, he's self-healing via spells and wands, and of course, LOH.

Jaysensen/Tawnie noted a question about item slots, because of all that this guy is trying to do -- could one really fit in all of the items needed to make the build run properly? Well... it's tight, but possible. Here's how I would run it (based on my own Steffon setup):

Head: +4 Cha
    Eyes: OPEN (Spec Optics or Blindness Ward or whatever)
    Neck: Heavy Fort
    Trinket: Featherfall or PoP
    Cloak: Resist +4
    Belt: Greater False Life
    Bracers: Chaosguarde
    Armor: +5 Mith BP
    Gloves: +6 Str
    Ring1: +5 Con
    Ring2: +4 Wis
    Boots: +5 Dex

I haven't found the need for Striding personally due to Haste being reliably constant inside quests -- outside of quests, House P trinket helps out with running.

With Mod5, there are some very interesting items that would help you out immensely:

Electric Haze - Heavy Fort & GFL together
    Breastplate of Vol - +5 Mith BP with +4 Dex (I'll suffer with 22 Dex)
    Boots of the Innocent - 15% Striding and +5 Resist
    Totemic Lavalier - Magi, Intelligence +4, Charisma +4

There are also other raid and rare items -- e.g., Pouch of Jerky, Head of Good Fortune, etc. that are worth considering.

/gren

I would max strength out at the expense of wisdom and use a +6 wisdom item.

I really like these builds. (11/3 ranger paladins)
    The dwarven version is definately the best of them although my own is an elven version sicne I wanted to focus on the ranged side a bit more.

I think they will only get cooler at the 16 cap picking up ranger 12 and likely paladin 4 to round out thier abbilities some. I like how they are strong and consistant all the way from level 1 to 14 yet are always picking up new abbilities along the way.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by spifflove View Post
    I would max strength out at the expense of wisdom and use a +6 wisdom item.
    It's a thought... but... going to 8 Wis only gets me 4 pts. Which isn't enough to go to 18 Str. Need 2 more pts from somewhere. Maybe Dex, maybe Cha. Still, a huge sacrifice for +1 to hit/dam....

And the annoyance factor of having to suck down Owl's Wisdom pots early in your career is rather large. +6 Wis items start at lvl 13 req... when you have no UMD....

/gren

You can drop 2 from dex. The extra AC does nothing. Fearsome armor is much better than mithril +5 breastplate.

Quote Originally Posted by spifflove View Post
    You can drop 2 from dex. The extra AC does nothing. Fearsome armor is much better than mithril +5 breastplate.
    Yeah, that's an option. I still wouldn't wear Fearsome on a melee character, but going to 8 Wis and 13 Dex would be fine in the long run. Painful levelling up... but hey, there are costs to everything.

/gren

Community Member

Why dodge?

Have you thought of swapping dodge for stunning blow? Having a weighted mace in the off hand makes it pretty powerful and dodge wouldn't seem to do a whole lot for you at the cap.

I could think of a lot of other options like mental toughness for more buffing or power critical even.

Quote Originally Posted by EinarMal View Post
    Why dodge?

Have you thought of swapping dodge for stunning blow? Having a weighted mace in the off hand makes it pretty powerful and dodge wouldn't seem to do a whole lot for you at the cap.

I could think of a lot of other options like mental toughness for more buffing or power critical even.
    I could see that. Dodge isn't all that great. I just don't like going tactics without the enhancements to back 'em up, but I'm sure SB can be made to work great.

/gren

Take your first level as a ranger depending upon what skills you want to max, rangers will have alot more skill points at lvl 1 than a palladin.
    Walker Boh - Human Sorcerer Lvl 17
    Dirkan - Elf Ranger Lvl 20
    Mardigen - Drow 14 Wizard 3 Rogue
    Balthasar - Human Bard Lvl 19

Quote Originally Posted by Dirkan View Post
    Take your first level as a ranger depending upon what skills you want to max, rangers will have alot more skill points at lvl 1 than a palladin.
    Yeah, that works too. I just like soloing that +1 Adamantine FP gives me at lvl 1, but not like soloing to lvl 2 is particularly difficult.

Yeah, for skills purposes, you should take Ranger first, no doubt.

/gren