Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by starfire_one
    If I may make a comment of your TWF ranger, would it not be better to simply use the Archer ranger's stats but add in Weapon Finesse. This would give you the AC the archery ranger enjoyed as well as the to hit bonus.

It's a good guide and covers everything, though.
    No, in fact it wouldn't be better. The TWF ranger I list here should be wearing enchanted full-plate armor by third level. A 13 in Dexterity is the minimum I recommend because you can still get a +1 to AC from your Dexterity bonus while wearing full-plate. In addition, a 13 lets you qualify for the Dodge feat which adds another +1 to your AC. This allows the build to go with high Strength to not only increase to-hit chance, but also damage dealt.
    Aelasyl Ruatylian
    "I'm a Ranger, not an archer."
    Best wishes to Adversity Xen'drik Expedition, the Thelanis Server, and DDO

Community Member

Default Shot on the Run?

I found your guide after I had created my ranger/fighter but I still found it very useful so thank you. However, Upon reaching level 4 (ftr2) I was unable to choose shot on the run as a ftr bonus feat, it simply wasnt on the list and I have all the pre-reqs (dodge/mobility). So now my build is suffering and I was confident about it originally and ever more so once I read your guide. Any reason I'm not getting this as a choice even with the pre-reqs? Did they change the bonus fighter feat list? Current build is this...

Rgr2/ftr2

Str-14
    Dex-20
    Con-10 (hate negatives to hp)
    Int-8
    Wis-10 (will saves are bad enough heh)
    cha-8

1-Weapon Focus Ranged
    2-Rapid Shot/TWF
    3-Dodge/Mobility
    4-?!?!?!? No Shot-on-the-run?!?!? Ok, took Point Blank Shot =/

Any ideas? Thanks

Community Member

Default Nevermind

Point Blank Shot was missing, nevermind...

Default out of curiosity...

During creation, I decided to mimic my PnP ranger and have gone the high Dex Weapon Finesse route. I'm still pretty decent with a bow and dual wielding with a rapier and short sword (or any two light weapons) has been pretty successful so far at 3 levels of ranger. However, since there are aspects of a ranger not available in the game so far (wilderness type characterbound to an urban environment), I am thinking of just one (possibly two) level of Rogue just to round out with some skills (mostly boosting the stealth/search skills).

Think this would be feasible or just ignore the level of rogue and stick to the pure ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by NytCrie
    During creation, I decided to mimic my PnP ranger and have gone the high Dex Weapon Finesse route. I'm still pretty decent with a bow and dual wielding with a rapier and short sword (or any two light weapons) has been pretty successful so far at 3 levels of ranger. However, since there are aspects of a ranger not available in the game so far (wilderness type characterbound to an urban environment), I am thinking of just one (possibly two) level of Rogue just to round out with some skills (mostly boosting the stealth/search skills).

Think this would be feasible or just ignore the level of rogue and stick to the pure ranger?
    If you're going to focus on the TWF, I'd say you're better off without the Rogue levels. Mostly because you'll miss out on an attack at level 10. That being said, adding Rogue levels can add a lot to a Ranger. Disable Device, Sneak Attacks, Evasion at an earlier level. If you're only looking at it from a stealth/recon skill point of view though, I see no reason to multiclass Rogue, you have all those skills in your skill list already.
    Aelasyl Ruatylian

Community Member

Up!

Too many cogent replies and builds; Aelasyl's comments worth reading more than once.

Please sticky? This thread answers SO many questions someone new to the game/being a ranger might have.
    ~~~~^~^~~~~

Tiralle Vakhalye, Ranger
    Wife of Halagren
    Thelanis

Community Member

Im having trouble figuring out what your starting stats are for all of these builds. Any chance you could post them?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit915
    Im having trouble figuring out what your starting stats are for all of these builds. Any chance you could post them?
    Of course. I've edited the original post and added them into the Build-At-A-Glance part for each of the builds. Hope this helps.

-Ael
    Aelasyl Ruatylian

bump - can we get a build link sticky for the ranger forum?

This specific thread as well as a few other hot build threads (with 3 pages or more of replies) - would be really handy for every ranger..

Especially since so many threads keep pointing back to this one.
    Averla (Elven Ranger/Fighter - Argonnessen)
    Tiq (Elven Ranger/Monk - Argonnessen)
    Tii (Elven Ranger - Argonnessen)

Default Superb build !

I took the Archer/Ranger route after reading this, and I must say, it's really fun to play.

I made a few changes as follows..

Human...not elf..
    Favored Enemy: Goblinoids

Str 20 (ogre gloves, +1 attribute at lvl 3 )
    Dex 19 ( Dex boots )
    Con 10 ( necklace from stk )
    Int 10 ( clever goggles )
    Wis 9
    Cha 8

( with a +1 longbow.. +10 to hit +6 to Dam unbuffed )

Feats.
    1 ranger PBS, Mobility
    2 ranger TWF, Rapid shot
    3 Ftr Dodge, Weapon finesse ranged
    4 Ftr Shot on the run..

That's where I'm at now...

It really surprises most of the tank types and even some rangers I group with when I end up with the top 2 if not the most ( by far usually ) kills of the group. ( ran Irestone last night.. and I had 55 Kills... about 15 higher than no. 2 ). Now don't misunderstand..I really don't care about the numbers.. I understand that if I hit first with the mob on the way in, by the time I get a second shot off the tanks are usually enganged and knocking them down.. and my next shot just happens to coincide with the last bit of damage that the mob needs to die..just the way the timing works...

I've read some forum entries about how tanks think that rangers will wait until the last bit of damage to hit a target and steal the kill... but quite honestly.. I'm not that good. I don't have time to manage to stay out of harms way and time my attacks.. I just hit tab ( auto-attack is always on..).. when the target disappears out of the ball window.. I hit tab again.. If I see a shaman, witch doctor or named in the room.. i'll hit tab until I see that guy.

I'll admit that playing quake or doom really comes in handy.. as circle strafing with SOTR really pays off when getting aggro'd. But I do have a shield and longsword handy and have no problem dropping the bow and slugging it out.

The Downside!.. I get held like a cute puppy and feared like a cat in the thunderstorm!.. needing to work on my saves... with a 19 dex.. the reflex isn't bad.. but my will save is just horrible... so keep that in mind if you go this route.... ( now you know why I hate shamans and witch doctors.. )

comments welcome..

You will dominate for another level or two, but when melees start getting extra swings, you will fall behind in kills. By far. But dont worry about killcount. Thats as useless a figure as DPS. Add vaule to your groups in more ways than damage, and you will be fine and have lots of fun in the process. ^^

Aelasyl,

What would be a good build for a halfling ranger. Also, is it any benefit to choose Medium Armor Proficiency at character creation? And is the Empathy more effective if your Charisma is above 8? And what about Alignment? Chaotic Good be a good choice?

Thanks.
    Last edited by theloire; 05-28-2006 at 07:26 AM.

Hay, i'm a almost pure ranger, human (true neutral), and my purness cuts off at lvl 3, where I get rogue for 1 lvl, to get stuff like disarm, unlock, and such, what would my ideal build be then? I want some melle abilities like whirlwind attack or greater cleave, but I also want point blank shot (alot) so, my question is, what would be my ideal build?
    Ranger+Barbarian=Death hippie!

Quote Originally Posted by theloire
    Aelasyl,

What would be a good build for a halfling ranger. Also, is it any benefit to choose Medium Armor Proficiency at character creation? And is the Empathy more effective if your Charisma is above 8? And what about Alignment? Chaotic Good be a good choice?

Thanks.
    Eh, you can just base the a halfling build of an elf build since they both give +Dex. You'll just have lower Strength and higher Constitution. I wouldn't waste a feat on Medium Armor proficiency, just pick up a level of Fighter. Yes, the empathy abilities are modified by Charisma. As for alignment, I can't help you there. All alignments have their advantages.
    Aelasyl Ruatylian

Quote Originally Posted by Osutin
    Hay, i'm a almost pure ranger, human (true neutral), and my purness cuts off at lvl 3, where I get rogue for 1 lvl, to get stuff like disarm, unlock, and such, what would my ideal build be then? I want some melle abilities like whirlwind attack or greater cleave, but I also want point blank shot (alot) so, my question is, what would be my ideal build?
    Seems like you want to do too much with your build. A Rgr/Ftr will be better for feat focused builds. A Rgr/Rog will be better for skills focused builds.
    Aelasyl Ruatylian

I'm using this TWF build and it is working out very well. I have a +12 AB at lvl 6, and out damage almost everybody in the parties I've been in. THe ability to switch weapons for the occasion is very handy, and having the ability to deliver multiple effects from two seperate weapons has huge potential.

Grouping hasn't been much of an issue. Most expect me to start shooting arrows, but then I show up with my full plate carrying a dwarven axe and a sickle. Not the typical "ranger" people are thinking about.

I decided to go with spring attack as opposed to power attack, as it suits my playstyle more, but other than that I have stuck to the original plan.

Great character to roll up. Lots of fun, and you out fighter most of the other fighting classes. For TWF it allows you to take strength and still get iTWF feat without the 17 dex pre-req, which is a must in my book because I don't want to use rapiers or short swords. I want to use huge axes!
    --

Phyrite WF Wizard 9.3 - Aundair

Twilight Avengers
    Green Section

Default Ok .. heres the what ifs I have in mind

For all you Eq1 players , remeber how nerfed the ranger class was in the initial game .. and everyone complained about being a ranger until they added the 50+ expansion with aa's. and then the ranged attack of the high lvl ranger was about the best dps in the game with there crit damage , giving rangers something to look foward to by spending the time to build there aa's up.

Well I have a lvl9 rank 4 cleric still debating to be 10 or lvl 9/1 of Sorc or fighter. So ranger is my next focus for now unless our guild needs a cleric for raids or to get some quests accomplished. and I really want a ranged focused ranger, but am hearing the down falls of higher lvl fighting to be not very benficial to do a ranged based ranger. Well here the what if..... say down the road even after the lvl 12 cap comes into play, that they will enhance the ranger abilities to even out the ranged ranger with the twf ranger. the 8/2 ranger/fighter is what I have decided in hopes of yhis .. guess I'm just looking for encouragement focused towards the ranged ranger.
    The Vue!

Just thought I'd drop some thoughts into this very useful thread and see if I can get any opinions on my build.

Its a Halfling Pure Ranger, similar to the Elf Pure put up by Ael, but with some differences in skills and order of feats probably.

Halfling for the AB, AC and dex bonus without the hit to Con.

Its still young so feel free to thrash it so I can reroll earlier instead of later. =p

12, 18, 14, 08, 14, 08

Skills in Spot, Hide, Move Silent, Jump for sure.
    Wondering what the last skill to up should be.
    Considering UMD, but x-class =(.
    Heal? (I generally don't think very highly of heal, even on my cleric.)
    Listen is purely a flavor/ RP skill at the moment...

Took Finesse at 1.
    Currently only 2.
    Other feats being considered would be the following:

- Dodge (for AC, and potentially for Mobility -> Spring Atk/ SotR)
    I think I'll take dodge at 3. Getting hit less is always good.

- Focus Piercing (Due to finesse, this would probably be my main type of melee damage.)

- Critical Piercing (Can't remember the requirements at the moment. If possible, this might also be an option at 3.)

- Focus/ Critical Ranged (Due to RoF problem, don't think I'll focus on range too much. Good to have, but can't see myself spending feats to enhance it.)

Concept: Meant to be a versatile fighting type character.
    Capable of decent range as well as melee.
    Not too much emphasis on range or I would have gone the 2/8 Elf route.
    While melee damage would not be very impressive due to low strength, melee concept would rely more on weapons to deal stat damage.

I don't think I've thought this through all that clearly, even while typing I realise that I've only just thought about the reduced carrying capacity for Halflings. Not sure how that would factor. And I'm sure there are many other problems that just have not occured to me yet.

Feel free to tear it apart. Always more to learn. Though admittedly, might press on with it anyway so long as it is adequate. (Not looking for uber though would be interesting to know what could be done to nudge it along that direction.)

Community Member

Nice thread. Xirath directed me here when I posted a Ranger build question thread in General Discussion. If a mod sees this could they move the original post here, please? I seem to have a better chance of getting advice from here. In case, a mod doesn't move it here, could you people take a look at the uber ranger thread in general discussion, please? I am eager for advice on it.

Community Member

Default 6/2/2

Human -Choatic Good

1: rogue - 1d6 sneak, point blank shot, dodge
    2: fighter- exotic weapon prof: khopesh
    3: ranger- bow str,favored enemy, mobility
    4: ranger- rapid shot, twf
    5: fighter- spring attack
    6: rogue- shot on the run, evasion
    7: ranger
    8: ranger- 1st level spells
    9: ranger- improved crit: slashing, favored enemy
    10:ranger- manyshot, itwf

str 14 (16 from 4,8)
    dex 14
    con 10
    int 14
    wis 14
    chr 10

base resists before stat bonuses 8/8/2

human versatility, ranger dex2, ranger action boost 3, havent settled on my last enhancement. Currently using dex 1 to cancel out the -1 from delera gloves but that will eventaully change with equipment.

Full skills in open lock, dd, search,spot,hide,move silently..with a few bonus skills to go around.

Designed to reside in mithral full plate. can use a mithral tower shield if necessary. Sword and Board, Twf, and range are all equally viable modes of operation especially with both sotr and spring attack.

Downsides-- have to buy barkskin potions instead of having it innate
    you are at caster level 6 so your resist spells are only resist
    10 instead of 20 at caster level 7.

In Pugs you will have to deal with the "we need a rogue"
    syndrome, sometimes even the "we need another tank"
    and finally the blind invites from stk and ww groups because
    they did not tally 6/2/2 to get your appropraite level.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast