Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

By the way--I've heard rumours that there's a cap of +40 on skill modifiers. Is that correct?

If that's true, then that frees up two enhancements from my build, which I hadn't realized until just now. No reason to use skill ingenuity I and skill perception I to get an extra +3 to try to keep up with the rogueses if I'm already at the maximum possible without it. (Still could be useful to keep it up at earlier levels.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aelasyl
    However, in my further experiences in-game and how I'm crafting my character, I am not seeing the personal need for Spring Attack. Yes, the -4 to your attack modifier hurts, but at level 6, really that penalty doesn't hurt as much any more. Between buff spells from a cleric and enchanted weapons (I'm toting around a Sunblade and a Xoriat Blade) it's much easier to overcome that penalty. Barbarians and other melee classes are picking up Power Attack (-5 to your hit roll for +5 to your damage roll). If they can take a -5 penalty, we can handle a -4.

I hope this gives some insight into my reasoning. Both builds are solid in my opinion.

-Ael
    My experience is the opposite. I spent the feat on it at 6 and I'm glad I did.

I think it's a great skill to have, and I notice a difference already (just got Spring Attack at level 6, 2/4 ranger/fighter).

I notice it helps a lot when strafing/meleing casters. I can avoid a lot of their bolts, and still take them down and save the healers mana. Also helps to pull the mob off the caster/rogue when they are moving to get away from the mob and you're chasing to pull it :P

I think if you mele at all, particularly in tight areas, it's a good skill to have. If ddo follows the rules, the mobs have a - to hit you if you're moving.

Either way, I think if you have the feat it's a feat well worth taking, since you have the prereqs for shot on the run.

Spring Attack is an awesome feat. And it is certainly something I'd look into getting down the road. But at this point for this build, I feel it's better to pass on the Fighter level and wait it out.

DDO sort of has it's own rules about hitting and missing. Remember if you're not where the swing will connect, you're not getting hit regardless. So being mobile in combat is very important (which is why Shot on the Run is a must for every person who uses a bow frequently). So, yes Spring Attack is important and certainly a must have at some point, but after further review, it's not quite that point. Yet. For me anyways. Remember these are how I would design my characters and how I actually play most of them. I make no guarantee on their effectiveness in combat or out of combat. I enjoy them, they work fine for me. Your mileage may vary.

And I apologize for the slowness of my responses these past few days in posts and PMs, been busy with finishing this thread, a couple more projects that I'm working on, RPing and running a guild all while trying to enjoy real life at the same time. So, my apologies guys, I should be back up to speed hopefully today or tomorrow.

-Ael
    Aelasyl Ruatylian
    "I'm a Ranger, not an archer."
    Best wishes to Adversity Xen'drik Expedition, the Thelanis Server, and DDO

Aelasyl's Ranger Design Guide
    Elf Ranger2/Fighter8 – Str 18 Dex 25 Con 10 Int 8 Wis 8 Cha 8

Rgr1 – Point Blank Shot
    Rgr2 -
    Ftr1 – Dodge, Mobility
    Ftr2 – Shot on the Run, Ability Increase (Dexterity 21)
    Ftr3 -
    Ftr4 – Weapon Focus (ranged), Rapid Shot
    Ftr5 -
    Ftr6 – Weapon Specialization (ranged), Ability Increase (Dexterity 22)
    Ftr7 – Improved Critical (ranged)
    Ftr8 – Manyshot
    Hi Aelasy,

Thaks for the guide, very nice job. I do have one question regarding this build.

You have Rapid Shot at Ftr4, isn't that already covered at Rgr2? Or is that a totally different one that will stack?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gosok
    Hi Aelasy,

Thaks for the guide, very nice job. I do have one question regarding this build.

You have Rapid Shot at Ftr4, isn't that already covered at Rgr2? Or is that a totally different one that will stack?

Thanks.
    Yes, yes it is and no they won't stack. Thanks for catching this.

-Ael
    Aelasyl Ruatylian

Love your pure ranger build, gonna use it myself

question though....why favored enemy Dragon and Giant?

are there gonna be that many giants and dragons at higher lvls? I'm lvl 4 right now.

Mostly it's the RP side of my characters making itself known. There are a lot of giants in the game and there are currently no dragons in the game.
    Aelasyl Ruatylian

Thanks for all the info Aelasyl, please have a Black Ale on me
    Giloin Goldvein, Paladin/Sorc 10
    Olaf Dragonbane, Fighter/Ranger 9

Argonnessen Hammer and Axe

Default Starting Stats for Stealth Utility Ranger

That's for posting the guide, Aelasyl. I'm new to DDO and the 3.5 edition rules, so I was curious what the actual starting stats would be for the Stealth Utility Ranger? Does it not matter as much since you'll be moving toward the final stats you posted, or are there things you'd give priority to here in the beginning?

Again, thanks!

The starting array is: Str 15 Dex 17 Con 8 Int 14 Wis 12 Cha 8.

You're welcome, glad the guide was helpful.

-Ael
    Aelasyl Ruatylian

Yes, the -4 to your attack modifier hurts, but at level 6, really that penalty doesn't hurt as much any more. Between buff spells from a cleric and enchanted weapons (I'm toting around a Sunblade and a Xoriat Blade) it's much easier to overcome that penalty. Barbarians and other melee classes are picking up Power Attack (-5 to your hit roll for +5 to your damage roll). If they can take a -5 penalty, we can handle a -4.

I hope this gives some insight into my reasoning. Both builds are solid in my opinion.

-Ael
    I am currently 4th lvl - Ranger2/Rogue1/Fighter1

I went the fighter at 4th lvl, and I picked up precision. I take a 50% hit but I hit more often. I have Weapon Finesse and a Dex of 20. I usually get a +11 to hit, with a +4 to damage.

Now I use 2 1d6 weapons, with elemental damage that proc on EVERY successfull hit. If you do the math, I should be able to take down things very fast.

The problem I have is that I cant seem to take more hits that anyone else, which results in either the healer wasting spellpoints, or me dieing. I have a 23 AC (+2 mith chain, 5 from dex, +1 natural armor and Dodge) Spell casters are my bane, I mostly DW that where my power comes from. I seem to get killed by the fire and insta death of necros.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Ranger/Rogue/Fighter build is not a tank by anyone's definition. But if for some reason you're called into that role you have to remember that DDO uses the avatars to determine hits and misses along with the dice. If you're not where that spell is going to hit, you don't even have to make a save. Instant Death effects are rough and they only get rougher as you advance levels. The fire problem will mostly go away when you pick up your second level in Rogue. Evasion is a wonderful ability that will save you many time. No more half damage for you, full or none. And with your saves, it should be more of the none. So, all in all, next level should make things a bit easier, but also getting used to being mobile in combat with this build is important.

-Ael
    Aelasyl Ruatylian

So, all in all, next level should make things a bit easier, but also getting used to being mobile in combat with this build is important.
    So I should not have taken precision then? I mean how can I be mobile and still hit. I guess with precision it will negate the -4 while moving, but I loose have my attacks.

Maybe I should not worry about taking things down? Just hit them a few times and move on to the next. Sort of be the one that takes them down just enough to have the fighters finish them off.

What do I do when there is a pure rogue in the group, and a couple pure fighters?

you have to remember that DDO uses the avatars to determine hits and misses along with the dice. If you're not where that spell is going to hit, you don't even have to make a save.
    What do you mean by this?? I have move out of the way of a caster and the beam was far away from me and I still got on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonax
    So I should not have taken precision then? I mean how can I be mobile and still hit. I guess with precision it will negate the -4 while moving, but I loose have my attacks.
    I never liked precision for a Ranger. It has it's uses and is much better if you're a Rogue since it doesn't halve sneak attack damage.

Maybe I should not worry about taking things down? Just hit them a few times and move on to the next. Sort of be the one that takes them down just enough to have the fighters finish them off.
    This is a good way to die really. If you hit a mob, you need to finish it off, hitting a bunch of mobs and cycling is a good way to have a bunch of aggro you can't manage.

What do I do when there is a pure rogue in the group, and a couple pure fighters?
    You do what you always do. The question is rather vague. If there's a Rogue and his skills far outstrip yours, let him do the disabling, but be there to watch his back. If there's a couple of pure Fighters that are melee oriented let them take the aggro and remain mobile and fluid. Let the mobs circle up on the tanks while you circle around the mobs.

I have move out of the way of a caster and the beam was far away from me and I still got on fire.
    You need to move when the spell is coming in. Hobgoblin clerics use scorching ray, it's a line and easily avoidable if you're not surrounded by mobs.
    Aelasyl Ruatylian

/bump

Again, a very well written guide that needs to be stickied. I'd like to see some support from the Turbine forum mods, please.

The starting array is: Str 15 Dex 17 Con 8 Int 14 Wis 12 Cha 8.

You're welcome, glad the guide was helpful.

-Ael
    Is there an Enhancements "tree" guide anywhere? For level 1, I'd take Skill Ingenuity I believe, but I'm curious about how to work toward the others you'd mentioned.

Again, thanks!

Community Member Eladain_Silverwind's Avatar

Build-At-A-Glance Table

Elf Ranger2/Fighter8 – Str 18 Dex 25 Con 10 Int 8 Wis 8 Cha 8

Rgr1 – Point Blank Shot
    Rgr2 – Two-Weapon Fighting, Rapid Shot
    Ftr1 – Dodge, Mobility
    Ftr2 – Shot on the Run, Ability Increase (Dexterity 21)
    Ftr3 -
    Ftr4 – Weapon Focus (ranged), Weapon Specialization (ranged)
    Ftr5 -
    Ftr6 – Manyshot, Improved Critical (ranged) Ability Increase (Dexterity 22)
    Ftr7 – [Random feat of your choice]
    Ftr8 – Great Weapon Focus (ranged)
    I was wondering where the 2nd feat at L8(Ftr6) was from? I understand one feat is a bonus feat for Ftr6 but am missing the origin of the 2nd feat there.

Ah ha! It's not from anything. It should have been the Level 9 feat selection. I had to edit that build a few times now and messed up the feats. Hopefully this will be the last time. Thanks for catching this.

-Ael
    Aelasyl Ruatylian

Quote Originally Posted by Osz
    Is there an Enhancements "tree" guide anywhere? For level 1, I'd take Skill Ingenuity I believe, but I'm curious about how to work toward the others you'd mentioned.

Again, thanks!
    If you check out the DDO Compendium Enhancement Section you can see all the enhancements and at what levels you can access them. For Racial Enhancements it is your character's level. For Class Enhancements it is your character's level in that particular class.
    Aelasyl Ruatylian

Community Member Eladain_Silverwind's Avatar

I was thinking of trying your Archer Ranger with a Halfling twist. Something like...

Halfling Rgr2/Ftr8 - Str 16 Dex 22 Con 10 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 8
    (I know it's lower dex than the elf but Halfling +1 ac & +1 to hit should help this. Also allows for a few xtra skill points and improved will saves)

Feats would be the same excpet maybe weapon finesse at L9 in place of manyshot. (Depending on effectiveness of manyshot)

Enhancements: Halfling Dexterity II, Halfling Luck, Fighters Str III, Fighters Action Boost (I do lose the Elven bow dmg but Boost to attack, ac, or attack speed & +3 to all saves)

Skills would be similar with slightly higher Hide & Move Silently due to halfling racial bonus.

All in all it will sacrafice a little damage for improved attack, ac, saves, and skills.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast