Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Default Death Droid (A build by request)

    From Sigtrent's Build Request Thread

    Build Name: Death Droid
    Author: Sigfried Trent
    Requester: Nymea
    Last Updated: 07/21/10

    Key Words [Warforged, Sorcerer, Kopesh]

    Objectives
    The request was for a 28pt Warforged Sorcerer that could solo and do end game content and which used a kopesh. The original build is pretty much a normalish CC sorcerer warforged which happened to have a feat dedicated to taking Kopesh. It was probably a bit better than this... but if I’m taking Kopesh on a caster, I’d want to put it to some use. Which brings us to this update build.

    Design
    I wanted to get two weapon fighting here. Casters often have two weapons and I though I might want to see a character that can hold a spell implement off hand and fight with a weapon main hand. Or alternately you can wield a weapon off hand that enhances the main hand such as a high seeker or backstab bonus. I was looking to take further TWF, but it just doesn’t fit into the build.

    Stats needed to meet minimums for dex, have a bit of charisma, and as much strength and con as could be managed. It’s a lot of burden to carry for a 28pt build. Because Charisma is marginalized here this sorcerer focuses on buffs, no-save damage spells, and no-save de-buffs. As a pure sorcerer spell penetration is decent which helps with the de-buffs. Most of these spells are staples so its not like the character is short on potent spells to cast, it just has a somewhat more limited menu. Extend, Maximize, and Empower amplify the spell selection’s impact.

    Because its a pure caster and wanting to get into melee this build needs whatever Hit Points it can manage. Toughness and Warforged enhancements cough up a good 90 hit points by level 20 which helps, but nor really enough that you could say this is super tough build. I’d say you will land in the mid 300s unless you get all the greensteel options in place somewhere which could get you to 400. And it is not as if saving throws or AC can make up for it, both are pretty sad. And when all is said and done, DPS is only about as good as a sixth level fighter can muster (except for the gear your using which would give you an edge).

    What it can do is heal itself quickly and effectively and it can doll out pretty intense spell damage and throw some serious debuffs. Despite its flaws I think it can work well if played right. The combat is fine for beating down the trash and the spells can work well against non-raid bosses. In a raid the build can make a good healer for WF tanks and a good debuffer. The fact there are so many saves that have no DC values and have potent effects is what saves the build from uselessness and makes the pure sorc pay off. In some ways this would only be weaker if you multi-classed for more feats as you would loose the thing it excels at.

    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.5.1
    DDO Character Planner Home Page
    
    Level 20 Neutral Good Warforged Male
    (20 Sorcerer)
    Hit Points: 222
    Spell Points: 1818
    BAB: 10\10\15\20
    Fortitude: 9
    Reflex: 8
    Will: 10
    
                      Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             16                    21
    Dexterity            15                    15
    Constitution         14                    16
    Intelligence          8                     8
    Wisdom                6                     6
    Charisma             12                    14
    
                      Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                    Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               2                     2
    Bluff                 1                     2
    Concentration         6                    26
    Diplomacy             1                     2
    Disable Device       n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                1                     2
    Heal                 -2                    -2
    Hide                  2                     2
    Intimidate            1                     2
    Jump                  3                     5
    Listen               -2                    -2
    Move Silently         2                     2
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair               -1                    -1
    Search               -1                    -1
    Spot                 -2                    -2
    Swim                  3                     5
    Tumble                n/a                   n/a
    Use Magic Device      n/a                   n/a
    
    Level 1 (Sorcerer)
    Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting
    Spell (1): Master's Touch
    Spell (1): Repair Light Damage
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Force Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded I
    
    
    Level 2 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (1): Shield
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Charisma I
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Wand Mastery I
    Enhancement: Warforged Inscribed Armor I
    
    
    Level 3 (Sorcerer)
    Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh
    Spell (1): Jump
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Elements I
    Enhancement: Warforged Constitution I
    
    
    Level 4 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (2): Scorching Ray
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation II
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Force Manipulation II
    
    
    Level 5 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (2): Resist Energy
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Deadly Elements I
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Wand Mastery II
    
    
    Level 6 (Sorcerer)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    Spell (3): Haste
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Charisma II
    
    
    Level 7 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (2): Blur
    Spell (3): Displacement
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation III
    
    
    Level 8 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (4): Wall of Fire
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Elements II
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Force Manipulation III
    
    
    Level 9 (Sorcerer)
    Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
    Spell (2): Knock
    Spell (3): Rage
    Spell (4): Stoneskin
    Enhancement: Warforged Constitution II
    
    
    Level 10 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (5): Cone of Cold
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness III
    
    
    Level 11 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (3): Protection From Energy
    Spell (4): Force Missles
    Spell (5): Protection From Elements
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Elements III
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Deadly Elements II
    
    
    Level 12 (Sorcerer)
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
    Spell (6): Reconstruct
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness IV
    
    
    Level 13 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (4): Fire Shield
    Spell (5): Summon Monster V
    Spell (6): Greater Heroism
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation IV
    
    
    Level 14 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (7): Waves of Exhaustion
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Force Manipulation IV
    
    
    Level 15 (Sorcerer)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Spell
    Spell (5): Cloudkill
    Spell (6): True Seeing
    Spell (7): Protection From Elements, Mass
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Deadly Elements III
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy Manipulation I
    
    
    Level 16 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (8): Otto's Irresistable Dance
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Energy I
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy Manipulation II
    
    
    Level 17 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (7): Greater Teleport
    Spell (8): Mass Repair Critical Damage
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy Manipulation III
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Spell Penetration I
    
    
    Level 18 (Sorcerer)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    Spell (9): Energy Drain
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Spell Penetration II
    
    
    Level 19 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (8): Incendiary Cloud
    Spell (9): Meteor Swarm
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy Manipulation IV
    
    
    Level 20 (Sorcerer)
    Spell (9): Mordenkainen’s Disjunction
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Bloodline of Power
    Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Energy II
    Play
    It’s built to fight but you will be swimming up stream agaisnt the low defenses and the low attack values. Staying buffed is essential and divine power clicks really help. Tensers is likely not a good plan. Also be sure to take advantage of scroll casting. Summons and Buffs are often just as effective from a scroll as when cast.

    Variations
    You could easily go back to the older style, dropping TWF for metamagic or spell penetration and moving points from dex into charisma and putting level ups there as well. But really I have other builds that demonstrate that aptly. 32pts and tomes could actually make this build more viable. I’d invest more in con especially as HP are one of the things the build would like more of.
    Last edited by sigtrent; 07-21-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

  2. #2
    Community Member spifflove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Raise strength to 18, 16 con, 14 char. Minimize everything else. Put level up points into strength.

  3. #3
    DDOCast & Hero Theris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spifflove View Post
    Raise strength to 18, 16 con, 14 char. Minimize everything else. Put level up points into strength.
    but why? what effects would these changes have on the build? please explain Thanks!
    Thelanis: Anne|Annala|Torzion|Anastazie|Sprockettz|Theris

    DDOcast - A DDO Podcast for Fans by Fans! >> Google+ || Twitter || Facebook || iTunes || DDOcast RSS Feed || YouTube

  4. #4
    Community Member Spookyaction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    703

    Default

    If you are just going to be hitting stuff that is held or stoned, why not just use puncturing and use the kopesh feat for something else. Also I agree extend is not very helpful at end game except for haste, bout all i use it for.

  5. #5
    Community Member spifflove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theris View Post
    but why? what effects would these changes have on the build? please explain Thanks!
    You need the strength and anyting else that can raise your damage. Remember its the the 1d8 x3 that really shines its the 1d8 plus 10 x 3.

    You dont need massive sp to self buff, although your friends might be out in the cold. You can still haste them though and they will be grateful.

    Use spells with no dc. That will make high char irrelevant. It is anyway vs a pure sorcerer as far as dc is concerned.

    Armor class is irrelevant. mod fort item stacks for heavy fort in wf. Blur and (when necessary) displacement will be of help.

  6. #6
    Community Member CSFurious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Beverly Hills, California
    Posts
    3,476

    Default i do not believe 28 chr will cut if for extensive pk success

    my sor has 32 chr & with heightened pk on elite content she still needs to hit with enervation sometimes

    i think pk is a waste of time with this build, just use direct damge spells, what cc you can, buff & kill what you can with that khopesh
    Last edited by CSFurious; 09-13-2007 at 11:10 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookyaction View Post
    If you are just going to be hitting stuff that is held or stoned, why not just use puncturing and use the kopesh feat for something else. Also I agree extend is not very helpful at end game except for haste, bout all i use it for.
    The requester asked for Kopesh so he got Kopesh. It will be usefull in the early development of the character for soloing harbor and marketplace quests.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spifflove View Post
    Use spells with no dc. That will make high char irrelevant. It is anyway vs a pure sorcerer as far as dc is concerned.
    Totaly different kind of character Spifflove. A true combat caster isn't going to be able to solo much in gianthold etc.. Its the sorcerers one cast one kill, super fast casting, and huge mana pool that make them the solo gods of high level. Add self healing and decent HP and you can handle almost anything.

    The kopesh is just a "luxury feature" added to the build because it was asked for. An extra +2 attack and damage isn't going to make the difference between dead monsters or dead sorcerer but a +2 DC on thier spells might.

    Besides.. the stats you suggest are 32pts, its a 28pter so you would need to take even lower con or charisma to pull off the 18 str.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

  9. #9
    Community Member spifflove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sigtrent View Post
    Totaly different kind of character Spifflove. A true combat caster isn't going to be able to solo much in gianthold etc.. Its the sorcerers one cast one kill, super fast casting, and huge mana pool that make them the solo gods of high level. Add self healing and decent HP and you can handle almost anything.

    The kopesh is just a "luxury feature" added to the build because it was asked for. An extra +2 attack and damage isn't going to make the difference between dead monsters or dead sorcerer but a +2 DC on thier spells might.

    Besides.. the stats you suggest are 32pts, its a 28pter so you would need to take even lower con or charisma to pull off the 18 str.
    Yes Juxbox my permadeath bard uses 12 char and a greatax.

  10. #10
    DDO Catalog MrCow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Merrimack, NH
    Posts
    7,316

    Default

    Oh the irony... I think someone was looking for my old build.

    I originally posted my 28 point Warforged sorceror solo build when I started sometime back in October 2006. I believe this is what I listed back then:

    STR: 14
    DEX: 10
    CON: 14
    INT: 8
    WIS: 6
    CHA: 16

    Feats:
    (1) Mithril Body
    (3) Extend Spell
    (6) Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh
    (9) Mental Toughness
    (12) Enlarge Spell

    Spells:
    (1) Repair Light Damage, Shocking Grasp (Later changed to Jump), Shield, Magic Missile
    (2) Web, Resist Energy, Knock, Otto's Resistable Dance
    (3) Haste, Heroism, Suggestion, Displacement
    (4) Wall of Fire, Solid Fog, Stoneskin
    (5) Cloudkill, Hold Monster
    (6) Reconstruction

    Skills
    Two points into UMD.
    Two points into Tumble.
    All other points into Concetration.

    Remember though, that was back with a level cap of 12 and when certain things in the game were different. I still have this character and is still my main. She has soloed quite a large amount of the game content on elite (until Mod 4 when soloing lost its luster for me).

    And to everyone out there about Khopesh, yes, I realize it is a nigh pointless feat for this type of character. However, there are gaps in my spells against things like iron golems or simple SP conservation and this was my best way to get a good type of weapon (being I skipped the martial weaponry by staying pure sorceror). I know I put a disclaimer in there saying it was not likely something you wanted to use if you copied the build. It is a flavor thing, but still works out fine when you know when to use the thing.

    At low and mid levels you might actually kill things with the khopesh.
    At low levels the BAB spread isn't large and stats aren't over inflated. You can do some useful melee in the lower levels indeed. I know thats how I had to solo most of the quests until about level 7 (with a trusty quarterstaff or khopesh).

    Also I agree extend is not very helpful at end game except for haste, bout all i use it for.
    Extend works wonders with mass suggestion. You can either hold that army with you for a 2:48 timer or cast an extended one followed by an unextended one (because some are bound to save, but when the timer wears out your army isn't revolting all at once).
    Last edited by MrCow; 09-14-2007 at 09:21 AM.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    At low levels the BAB spread isn't large and stats aren't over inflated. You can do some useful melee in the lower levels indeed. I know thats how I had to solo most of the quests until about level 7 (with a trusty quarterstaff or khopesh).

    Extend works wonders with mass suggestion. You can either hold that army with you for a 2:48 timer or cast an extended one followed by an unextended one (because some are bound to save, but when the timer wears out your army isn't revolting all at once).
    Thanks for chiming in MrCow Nice to see the original. I wasn't sure which build he had looked at but it looks like I came fairly close to replicating it.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

  12. #12
    Community Member Nymea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    37

    Default

    thanks guys, just got back fro a work trip so when I get he chance I'll roll him up and give him a whirl. Will let you know how I go

  13. #13
    Founder Varis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    hmmm.... will be tough. you took a whole bunch of focus feats but with a 28 charisma it won't be enough...

    Also.. why 28 only?

    16 base +3 level +3 enhancement +2 tome +6 item = 30 (31 with +3 tome)

    then don't spread it out, go for focus + greater focus necromancy.
    add the focus item and your DC will be

    10base +7 spell level + 10 cha + 3 focuses = DC 30 !!


    with a 28 it will be very hard, as in only pk arcane casters and some rogues without enervation. Gotta go for 30 or more.


    for feats I would recommend:

    -spell focus: necromancy (you can do whatever works at the beginning and swap it later)
    -exotic weapon prof: kopesh
    -greater spell focus: necromancy
    - maximise
    - heighten or empower (depending if you rather nuke or crowd control to aid with the meleeing)


    AC 35 will help in the beginning and to a point later on so you may want to get used to hypno, web, etc early. Don't separate meleeing and casting. Gotta use everything you got
    14 str will make for a decent melee. you can get that to 20 easy.

    7 base + 5 str +5 weapon +4 heroism +1 haste = +22+22+27

    that's enough to hit most things in giant hold on elite already. Now you just need some decent damage. Get a collection of bane weapons even if they are not all kopeshes. For example I use a +2 holy club of greater orc bane... pretty ghetto weapon but it tears feast or famine apart like no ones business.. on my 8 base str sorc lol.

    The self heal is nice but don't play so you depend on it. If you gotta heal spam to stay alive you will run out of mana quick.


    hmm yeah that's all from the top of my head
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Roa - Fernian Nuker

  14. #14
    Community Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    14,425

    Default

    Sorry but this build is **** for soloing.

    All the best solo players have extend, many quest would be plain impossible to solo withoit it.

    Soloing hard content means you never have enough SP to do it straight killing. The only way around that is getting the mobs to kill themself.. IE charm, dominate, suggestion, symbol of persausion. While charm and dominate dont need to be extended as they last a while anyways, suggestion and symbol too, as they are the only ones available in mass form.

    Then wall of fire also greatly benefits. To be SP effecient, you need to gather up as many mobs as possible to kill with 1 big max/xtend wall of fire. You simply cannot kill allot of high lvl stuff in time if the wall of fire is not extended.

    Crowd control.. Also needs to be extended. 24 seconds sucks, 48 is good. Ever beat threnal east 3 solo? I have, at lvl12, and it wouldn't happen without extend. I solo'd the whole chain and at lvl10-12 and it would suck without extend.

    Even if you think your crazy uber and can do all that without extend, your full of it and its a waste anyways. Its 50% more effecient, thus works out to saving 50% SP over time, quite a bit.

  15. #15
    Founder Varis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Sorry but this build is **** for soloing.

    All the best solo players have extend, many quest would be plain impossible to solo withoit it.

    Soloing hard content means you never have enough SP to do it straight killing. The only way around that is getting the mobs to kill themself.. IE charm, dominate, suggestion, symbol of persausion. While charm and dominate dont need to be extended as they last a while anyways, suggestion and symbol too, as they are the only ones available in mass form.

    Then wall of fire also greatly benefits. To be SP effecient, you need to gather up as many mobs as possible to kill with 1 big max/xtend wall of fire. You simply cannot kill allot of high lvl stuff in time if the wall of fire is not extended.

    Crowd control.. Also needs to be extended. 24 seconds sucks, 48 is good. Ever beat threnal east 3 solo? I have, at lvl12, and it wouldn't happen without extend. I solo'd the whole chain and at lvl10-12 and it would suck without extend.

    Even if you think your crazy uber and can do all that without extend, your full of it and its a waste anyways. Its 50% more effecient, thus works out to saving 50% SP over time, quite a bit.

    lol there goes Shade again, in top form too I see....
    the "all the cool kids have extend" is a strong argument indeed.

    As shade pointed out... dominate, charm, etc does NOT need extend... and charm happend to be Shades requirement to solo... LOL.

    Don't listen to absolutes... you can charm your way, nuke your way and even melee your way through dungeons. Even at top levels.

    And yes, east 3, giant hold quests, vons, pretty much anything you don't need extra people for runes and levers can be done WITHOUT extend...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Roa - Fernian Nuker

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Varis View Post
    hmmm.... will be tough. you took a whole bunch of focus feats but with a 28 charisma it won't be enough...
    Ehough is a moving target..
    9 for charisma, X for spell level, +1 for item, +1 for Focus, 10 for base
    So DC spells range from 22-28 depending on spell level
    The max charisma possible is 34 I beileve so I'm 3 bonus shy and 1 possible feat so 4pts aka 20% success difference less that the ablsolute maximum DCs possible. For a starter build with self healing that doesn't seem all that bad. Seems like "enough" to me unless only the very best = "enough". WF don't start higher than 16 Cha anyhow so this character pretty much does everything possible to raise DC values shy of Greater Spell Focus.

    And don't forget about ennervation. No save and it decreses saving throws up to -4. It's a great tool for enemies with strong saves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Varis View Post
    Also.. why 28 only?
    16 base +3 level +3 enhancement +2 tome +6 item = 30 (31 with +3 tome)
    I don't do my calculations with +2 tomes, +1 tomes and +6 items is as far as I go at the moment, and I generaly round down to the lowest even number since odd numbers are pretty meaningless. It is possible to get to 30 if you hit 1750 or get lucky in a raid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Varis View Post
    then don't spread it out, go for focus + greater focus necromancy.
    add the focus item and your DC will be
    10base +7 spell level + 10 cha + 3 focuses = DC 30 !!
    You could certainly do that and its a decent way to go, but there is the trade of of only having one school to focus on, your Hold Person etc would suffer. I mostly specified the feats I'd take as leveling although I did not gettin out of illusion and into necromancy at the end.

    Keep in mind you can land spells much more efiiciently if you cast spells with saves the monster is weak on. So while a FOD may have a +2 DC if you cast it at a monster with high fort they may well have a 25 fort save, but the same monster may have a 15 will save so Hold Monster is 50% more likely to work despite having a lower DC. I think sometimes there is strength in versatility and some folks that think anything below the maximum DC possible doesn't work, are simply using the wrong spells on the wrong targets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Varis View Post
    with a 28 it will be very hard, as in only pk arcane casters and some rogues without enervation. Gotta go for 30 or more.
    Case in point... use hold monster on the high Fort guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by Varis View Post
    -spell focus: necromancy (you can do whatever works at the beginning and swap it later)
    -exotic weapon prof: kopesh
    -greater spell focus: necromancy
    - maximise
    - heighten or empower (depending if you rather nuke or crowd control to aid with the meleeing)
    A good selection.

    Quote Originally Posted by Varis View Post
    AC 35 will help in the beginning and to a point later on so you may want to get used to hypno, web, etc early. Don't separate meleeing and casting. Gotta use everything you got
    14 str will make for a decent melee. you can get that to 20 easy.
    I agree. I mostly chose spells that would be handy at level 14, I would probably level up wtih a somewhat different selection, more like the ones you list there for the early spells. Damage casting is pretty weak until level 5 or so in my experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Varis View Post
    that's enough to hit most things in giant hold on elite already. Now you just need some decent damage. Get a collection of bane weapons even if they are not all kopeshes. For example I use a +2 holy club of greater orc bane... pretty ghetto weapon but it tears feast or famine apart like no ones business.. on my 8 base str sorc lol.
    Definately good advice. I generaly list pretty generic weapons just to try and benchmark their damage and attack against my other builds. Occasionaly I'll list specific gear because the character was built with it in mind. I'm seeing more and more decent bane weapons show up on AH and Brokers pretty cheap.

    Quote Originally Posted by Varis View Post
    The self heal is nice but don't play so you depend on it. If you gotta heal spam to stay alive you will run out of mana quick.
    I totaly agree. You can't tank with characters like this but the self healing really helps your survivability when something goes wrong momentarily. I don't have a high level WF caster but a lot of my guildmates do and I envy their abbility to go from a sliver of health to a full bar in one super quick button push.

    Quote Originally Posted by Varis View Post
    hmm yeah that's all from the top of my head
    Much thanks Varis.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Even if you think your crazy uber and can do all that without extend, your full of it and its a waste anyways. Its 50% more effecient, thus works out to saving 50% SP over time, quite a bit.
    Ahhh, Shade, the man who says much and does little. Thanks for taking the time to explain you uber brilliant opinion.

    Most sorcerers I know who solo high end content are capped and just recall whenever the mood strikes them to get more mana so it's mostly irrelevent how "efficeint" you are with your spell points. Usualy when you solo for XP you are going to do fairly low risk quests you know how to work with a minimum of fuss and you generaly don't bother trying to kill everything. Simply avoiding combat tends to work out better and you save your mana for the end fight etc..

    By the way... most of the consensus among high level casters is that Extend is a nice convinence but that's about it. At low levels its essential at high levels it's just a luxury so you don't have to cast haste as often. And BTW... Maximized Extended Firewalls are anything but mana efficeint. Generaly everything should be dead in the first few ticks or you are doing something wrong. Extended hold person or Flesh to Stone is utterly pointless since most of the time they break is due to a successfull save and not the timer running out. The only spells this character has that I would want to extend are Haste and Solid Fog.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

  18. #18
    Community Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    14,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sigtrent View Post
    Ahhh, Shade, the man who says much and does little. Thanks for taking the time to explain you uber brilliant opinion.
    Does little? pfft. I lvl'd a WF wizard from lvl1-14 purely solo'ing, and rarely recalling for mana as that kills the XP. In under 3 weeks I had him capped and solo'd reaver raid with no other raids completed.

    To first make a build for a guy who wants to solo, then say most ppl only solo when capped and just recall like mad, is ludicrous. Anyone who recalls often for mana in a quest, even solo is a complete noob. Make him a crappy build because he shouldn't be able to solo until 14 anyways? give me a break that just doesn't make any sense.

    And your pretty arrogant to think you know the consensus amoung high level casters on anything. You don't know that many people.

    Extend is smarter then you think anyways, it doesn't even work on spells with no duration like flesh to stone.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Does little? pfft. I lvl'd a WF wizard from lvl1-14 purely solo'ing, and rarely recalling for mana as that kills the XP. In under 3 weeks I had him capped and solo'd reaver raid with no other raids completed.
    What I mean is you complain about how stupid everyone else is but never actualy post builds or say anything helpfull for others other than how cool you and your characters all are. It's easy to tell folks they don't know anything, quite another to actualy prove you do and stand up to the same scrutiny. Whether you like it or not you have a reputation as a blow hard on the boards. I've seen you make decent posts but only rarely (for instance your participation in the glancing blow damage thread was very cool). No one is impressed by name calling and chest thumping. You could have said your bit about Extend Spell wtihout being so abrasive and I would have been more than happy to hear it. I'm still interested in your opinion but all the BS just makes me want to fight instead of talk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    To first make a build for a guy who wants to solo, then say most ppl only solo when capped and just recall like mad, is ludicrous. Anyone who recalls often for mana in a quest, even solo is a complete noob. Make him a crappy build because he shouldn't be able to solo until 14 anyways? give me a break that just doesn't make any sense.
    Do beter Shade! Make me a 28pt WF solo sorcerer build that uses a kopesh and perhaps I will be impressed. I play with a lot of very experinced players. I'm a founder, been playing since day 1. Nearly every sorc I know that is capped constantly recalls because it is a lot faster and more efficient than mizering their spell points when all they really care about is getting the loot ASAP. Most of them probably could do the quest without recalling but it would take longer since recalling for mana usualy takes all of a minute and then you can MAx Empower firewall or just FOD everything that moves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    And your pretty arrogant to think you know the consensus amoung high level casters on anything. You don't know that many people..
    I read the boards pretty often and love all the discussions of builds and such. I actualy consider what people say instead of just spouting my own opinion constantly and calling anything I don't happen to agree with as stupid. Many really like extend but the tide is turning some as folks level up and often the spells last from shrine to shrine without extend or often get dispelled at which point it becomes a waste of mana. More and mroe you see builds without it from expereinced players. Basicaly if you have it, you take advantage of it, if you don't then you take advantage of whatever else it is you have. Feats are tight on this character.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Extend is smarter then you think anyways, it doesn't even work on spells with no duration like flesh to stone.
    That may well be the case, I don't know everything. But why would you think it is essential for a character largely built around spells that don't benefit from extend?
    Last edited by sigtrent; 09-24-2007 at 11:47 PM.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload