Default THF and Quarterstaffs

Does THF apply to Quarterstaffs in DDO? I know it does in PnP (or used too) but wondering if it does in DDO.
    CannithThievious 20 Human Rogue(2nd Life) , Bastidious 15 drow TWF fighter, Botious 10 Warforged Frenzy Barbarian

Community Member Mad_Bombardier's Avatar

Yes, but quarterstaves get their glancing blows on 3rd attack instead of 1st (not sure if they get it on 4th attack, too, with GrTHF).

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Bombardier View Post
    Yes, but quarterstaves get their glancing blows on 3rd attack instead of 1st (not sure if they get it on 4th attack, too, with GrTHF).
    Yep 3rd and 4th with GTHF. Tho note if you cant do a third swing, you never glacning blow.

Looks kinda neat cuz if you hit fast enough you can get 2 hits + 2 sets of glancing blow numbers up on the screen. Think have some cool screenshots of it.

Shining cresents is especially nice for that. Overall dmg is the same, buts its a bit faster of a burst dmg so its nice in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Yep 3rd and 4th with GTHF. Tho note if you cant do a third swing, you never glancing blow.
    Thanks for the clarification Shade. On the plus side, glancing blows on the 3rd attack mean that they are also at +5 to-hit?

Thanks for the clarification Shade. On the plus side, glancing blows on the 3rd attack mean that they are also at +5 to-hit?
    Good question.. But I don't believe they are effected by your to-hit progression.
    1st and 4th hit glancing blows seem to both hit just as often (which is quite often) With GTHF they all have at least a +5 to hit, possibly higher so they hit quite often.

Dreamspitter FTW!

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

A dev said a while back that THF feats did not affect staves, as they are a separate fighting style, with no feat to improve them.

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    A dev said a while back that THF feats did not affect staves, as they are a separate fighting style, with no feat to improve them.
    I remember that comment also. But, maybe s/he was wrong or maybe it's been changed? Shade is a reputable source, afterall.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyGazebo on 01/09/2007
    The Two-Handed-Fighting feats do not affect a quarterstaff; it is in its own category. It does get a small number of glancing blows on its own, however.

Any feats for "Bludgeoning" weapons will work on a quarterstaff.

For reference, we divide combat styles into:
    unarmed (no feats at present)
    one-handed (no feats at present)
    two-handed (THF feat line)
    dual-wielding (TWF feat line, TWD)
    staff (no feats at present)
    shield-bashing (improved shield-bash)

You can expect to see unarmed fighting feats when monks arrive (since they're really a bad deal for anyone without at least one level of monk).

Quarterstaff is unlikely to get feats; mages frequently have them because they don't have proficiency in better two-handed things, but a mage would probably be silly to spend a feat on melee (and a two-handed-weapon-feat melee person would probably be silly to use a quarterstaff rather than a greatsword).

THF, TWF will get additional feats as the level cap increases. One handed and shield bashing styles might get more feats at some point.
    Dug it out of the Google cache. I disagree with his assertion that Feats for it would be 'silly'. I have a melee Wizard with one level of Fighter, and that Fighter level is mostly to get access to decent weapons. If quarterstaves were affected by the things they should be then I'd likely just use those and skip the Fighter level. I do have the THF feat.
    Last edited by rimble; 08-20-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

I remember that comment also. But, maybe s/he was wrong or maybe it's been changed? Shade is a reputable source, afterall.
    But has Shade tried without the feats?

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    But has Shade tried without the feats?
    Yes.. Believe it or not, I have more than 1 character *GASP*!!

Tho perhaps the shining cresents is a special exception as its a sickle after all..

I'll try some plain qstaffs.

Nice find Rimble.
    Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    I disagree with his assertion that Feats for it would be 'silly'. I have a melee Wizard with one level of Fighter, and that Fighter level is mostly to get access to decent weapons. If quarterstaves were affected by the things they should be then I'd likely just use those and skip the Fighter level. I do have the THF feat.
    I also agree the assertion. Staves are not optimal equipment, but are cheap alternatives that should not be overlooked. It's the ONLY 2H simple weapon (for pure class Bards and Clerics) and one of three 2H bludgeoning weapons (and crits don't matter for oozes or skeletons).

I think the real reason that it's not usable with feats is that they don't want to bother coding it multiple ways. Quarterstaff is both a Double Weapon for TWF (which we do not have yet in DDO) and 2H weapon, depending on who is using it.
    Tho perhaps the shining cresents is a special exception as its a sickle after all..

I'll try some plain qstaffs.
    Maybe staves are just coded with glancing blows on 3rd and later attacks with no feats?
    Last edited by Mad_Bombardier; 08-20-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Yes.. Believe it or not, I have more than 1 character *GASP*!!
    No screenshot = it's a lie