Thread: 28 pts builds

Community Member

Default 28 pts builds

Hi,

Im considering building a human cleric (pure), I was wondering if the difference between a 28PTS build and a 32 PTS buils is very important?

Also if you could recommend abilities points for it i would appreciate it.

Thanks

28 and 32 isn't a big deal. You're talking maybe +1 higher in your main stat or +2 in one of your gimpy stats. 32pts is nice, but far from a gamebreaker. If you're not close to 1750 favor right now, there's not much you can do about it anyway.

You'll get more answers to your second question if you give people an idea of what kind of character you want your cleric to be. Mainly spellcaster, mainly melee, a mix of the two, want to be a super turn-undead guy, etc.
    I can dodge fireballs, baby!
    "When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown-up."

Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    Hi,

Im considering building a human cleric (pure), I was wondering if the difference between a 28PTS build and a 32 PTS buils is very important?

Also if you could recommend abilities points for it i would appreciate it.

Thanks
    You'll be a Cleric, you will get invites regardless.

Community Member

Human Cleric (28 point build)

STR 14 DEX 8 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 18 CHA 8

Feats: extend spell, mental toughness
    Skills: conc., whatever else

This is a very solid starting build which allows you to go either pure (offensive) caster, or battle cleric if you want to take a level of fighter or barb. This is a great choice for reaching 400 favor in a hurry.

Have fun!
    Last edited by geezee; 08-16-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Community Member

Thanks for the above,

The cleric i want to build is mainly a support healer/buffer one.

If the 400 favor is for building drow i have that, i just dont have one with the 1750 favor needed. Actually would a drow cleric bebetter than a human 1?

Thanks
    Last edited by Sygmar; 08-16-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Community Member

The main reason to go Drow is for CHA, for more turns/DVs. Here is a drow buff/heal bot:

Drow Cleric

STR 8 DEX 10 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 18 CHA 16

Feats: extend spell

Skills: conc., 1 other (maybe UMD)

You can achieve a half-decent UMD skill on this guy.

Founder

Default skills

Human or Drow, regardless, invest your skill points into Concentration and Balance.

Here is one of my first characters - Emeril

He's only a 28-point build. But, despite having rerolled just about every other character I've made, he's still going strong. The benefit of the extra 4 points is so minimal it just isn't worth the time and effort of rerolling and relevelling.
    Thelanis, CureLite Bottling Co:
    Nen (Barb/Ranger, Founder) / Emeril (Cleric, Founder) / Kraxkit (Dex Ranger) /
    Klyde (DPS Barbarian) / Sojourne (Rogue, Trapsmith) / and many others

Quote Originally Posted by geezee View Post
    The main reason to go Drow is for CHA, for more turns/DVs. Here is a drow buff/heal bot:

Drow Cleric

STR 8 DEX 10 CON 12 INT 10 WIS 18 CHA 16

Feats: extend spell

Skills: conc., 1 other (maybe UMD)

You can achieve a half-decent UMD skill on this guy.
    This is my cleric. Down to the skills even. This works great as a "caster" cleric. Many times I am the crowd control for the party, and it almost always sticks. I constantly have people amazed how much of my CC sticks. Healing is okay, but preventative CC can almost negate the need for healing, and with this build you can do either.

A suggestion, although every caster will be asking for DVs, I suggest Divine Healing and Divine Cleansing, which doesn't leave enough turns for DVs. With the above character, you should have ~7turns/rest without spending a feat, just a few Action Points.
    Hi, I play Generic Fantasy RPG Online, formerly known as DDO.

Default Happens to be my Cleric, too.

Quote Originally Posted by geezee View Post
    Human Cleric (28 point build)

STR 14 DEX 8 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 18 CHA 8

Feats: extend spell, mental toughness
    Skills: conc., whatever else

This is a very solid starting build which allows you to go either pure (offensive) caster, or battle cleric if you want to take a level of fighter or barb. This is a great choice for reaching 400 favor in a hurry.

Have fun!
    Except I think I have Con at 12 and Int at 10 so that I could max out Concentration and Healing. Works great as a healer or buffer, has the ability to do crowd control and even go fight when you are out of SP (or before, whichever). I still have over 200 HP after all the favor and such without a False Life item (just a +4 Con item), so I'm fairly survivable. Having a 28-point Cleric really only means that you give up either fighting, crowd control, or DVs. You can still cover 2 of the 3 without a problem.

Community Member Mad_Bombardier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gennerik View Post
    Except I think I have Con at 12 and Int at 10 so that I could max out Concentration and Healing. Works great as a healer or buffer, has the ability to do crowd control and even go fight when you are out of SP (or before, whichever). I still have over 200 HP after all the favor and such without a False Life item (just a +4 Con item), so I'm fairly survivable. Having a 28-point Cleric really only means that you give up either fighting, crowd control, or DVs. You can still cover 2 of the 3 without a problem.
    Human gets +1 skill point per level, so the extra INT is unnecessary. You can get Sustenance items to replace the Heal skill. So, put max ranks in Concentration and the rest in Balance. Most Clerics are like turtles.

There's nothing a 32 pointer can do that a 28 pointer can't. It's really not that big of a deal. It just gives you a tiny bit of wiggle room to even out your stats that's it. No big deal and far from being a game breaker.

Default Something to think about....

All these suggestions are great and informative ...

The only thing I can think of adding is that u may want to invest a few skill pts in the jump skill...

Just my 2 copper.....

Starlytes Lvl 14 Sorc
    Klairyk Lvl 14 Cleric

Default But I like Healing

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Bombardier View Post
    Human gets +1 skill point per level, so the extra INT is unnecessary. You can get Sustenance items to replace the Heal skill. So, put max ranks in Concentration and the rest in Balance. Most Clerics are like turtles.
    I equip Sustenance items also, but I like having a high Heal skill. The reason for the 10 Int is so I could max out Heal and Concentration and still put points into Balance (Technically maxed out, but not at 17 ranks), because you are correct when you say we're like turtles. Put us on our backs and we tend to stay there until the time limit has expired, especially when you've got Full Plate on.

Halfling Clerics FTW!!
    **Thelanis**The Infamous Flaming Vagabonds**
    **Jameela*Ranger For Hire**Salvadorian*The Immortalized**
    **Dronn*Beefy Sorcerer**Cambel*Raging Pally**Dimah*Evasive Wizard**
    **Jumanah*TWF Ranger**Cruor* Wise Barbarian**Murjanah*Firey Bard**

Community Member Mad_Bombardier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gennerik View Post
    I equip Sustenance items also, but I like having a high Heal skill. The reason for the 10 Int is so I could max out Heal and Concentration and still put points into Balance (Technically maxed out, but not at 17 ranks), because you are correct when you say we're like turtles. Put us on our backs and we tend to stay there until the time limit has expired, especially when you've got Full Plate on.
    If you like the Heal skill, more power to ya. Those 2 build points for 10 INT nets you 12-51 HP (from level 1-14) for your party when rested at the shrine. Which can be a sizable gain if you can get whole party to rest with you. I usually can't, so it doesn't do me any good.

I'm in favor of the heal skill for clerics. Especially good if you can squeeze 3 skillpoints per level out of your cleric. Like Mad said, it can be worth upto 50 HP per party member per shrine (depending on how hurt they are, max hp, etc).

Healing at shrine = 10+3*(level+healskill)

At level 14 --
    17 Ranks + 13 Item + 10 Wis modifier (30Wis) = 40 heal.
    For a cleric with heal, you're going to heal about 172 HP at the shrine
    For a cleric without heal, you're going to heal about 121 HP at a shrine.
    For a cleric that doesn't even bother with an item - about 82 HP at a shrine

Personally, I max Heal skill, and put on balance boots whenever I'm fighting mobs that trip me alot (wolves, air elementals).

But, doing it the other way around (max balance, put on healing item at shrine) works pretty much just as well.
    Thelanis, CureLite Bottling Co:
    Nen (Barb/Ranger, Founder) / Emeril (Cleric, Founder) / Kraxkit (Dex Ranger) /
    Klyde (DPS Barbarian) / Sojourne (Rogue, Trapsmith) / and many others

Yeah, jump, heal, balance, when you get a small number of skills, it's pick your poison since you have to make up for the rest of them in other ways.

Balance is probably the most important, but if it's a cleric that doesn't get too close to fights, then eh. Jump can be replaced decently with potions when you need it, and most wizards will have jump on hand for you if you ask. Seems like less and less people shrine together, so Heal loses importance that way, but I try to fit it on my high-hp characters when possible.
    I can dodge fireballs, baby!
    "When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown-up."