Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aranticus View Post
    such is the irony displayed here..... why ask others why they have a problem with it? why not ask yourself why you accepted it?
    I know exactly why. Because at some point many years ago, I began to question pretty much everything I was ever told to accept as fact. On this topic, I recognized that curse words are nothing more than a collection of common sounds, organized in a way so that others can recognize the sounds as a word, which can then be used in the process of communication.

this is the MTV culture that i see so very often. stars, personalities cussing and swearing on TV lead the society to "think" that the kind of display is acceptable. truth is? its only tolerated and not accepted. and precisely some places are taking steps to prevent the degradation of the human society.
    That's quite a stretch. Ever work a blue collar job? There aren't a lot of MTV viewers in that world. Yet creative use of profanity is practically a job requirement. I hear there's a similar policy in the Navy

I think you're taking my stance on swearing further than I do. I'm not saying people need to accept profanity. I'm also not saying they need to tolerate it. I'm simply saying that I don't understand what they're getting so upset about. I can understand being upset at intent behind the communication, but not at mere sight/sound of the words themselves.

A good way to sum up what I was trying to express: if you feel offended when watching George Carlin's "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television," then I don't understand you.
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

Quote Originally Posted by Strakeln View Post
    I know exactly why. Because at some point many years ago, I began to question pretty much everything I was ever told to accept as fact. On this topic, I recognized that curse words are nothing more than a collection of common sounds, organized in a way so that others can recognize the sounds as a word, which can then be used in the process of communication.

That's quite a stretch. Ever work a blue collar job? There aren't a lot of MTV viewers in that world. Yet creative use of profanity is practically a job requirement. I hear there's a similar policy in the Navy

I think you're taking my stance on swearing further than I do. I'm not saying people need to accept profanity. I'm also not saying they need to tolerate it. I'm simply saying that I don't understand what they're getting so upset about. I can understand being upset at intent behind the communication, but not at mere sight/sound of the words themselves.

A good way to sum up what I was trying to express: if you feel offended when watching George Carlin's "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television," then I don't understand you.
    precisely! no one will ever get angry or upset with the words. its the intent. should i type out "i'm cant believe ^*^^&# stupid, i actually kept trying to heal the undead", likely that no one is going to report it. but if i use it as "omg why are you so ^*^^&# stupid, why cant you even cast a firewall?" then my intent is now different. its not that you do not understand it. its just that you only choose to focus your attention on the "communication" side of the word rather that the intent in the "communication"
    If you want to know why...

Nah, I was being mostly serious. I really do believe that most people who have problems with specific words have not once asked themselves why they have a problem with it. I'm also quite certain that relying on the tattletale system to police a world only results in abuse of the system. This case is a *perfect* example of such abuse.
    Profanity is profanity, and any reasonably intelligent person will know the difference between right and wrong. I notice that you seem to be able to arrange words into recognizable sentences, so I assume that you are (reasonably) intelligent....so I don't need to tell you what the "bad" words are. If you are not sure, ask your mother.

As far as the "tattletale system" , that you seem to hate so much, it works just fine. I know of one individual who angered an entire guild, with his posts on the forums, and was subjected to repeated and ongoing on-line harrassment from that (formerly significant) guilds members. It was eventually necessary for him to report this harrassment, which resulted in several of the perpetrators being suspended for a few days. He was able to show screen shots of the tells he received, and the gm's were more than happy to help him with the problem. That made me a believer in the system as it stands. Thankfully, the guilty guild has diminished to the point that they are now a mere shadow of what they once were (or, THOUGHT they were at least). The entire DDO universe is now a better place because these obnoxious few were finally put in their place...both by the actions of the gm's AND the courageous forum postings of this person I know.

The system works for the violated. Anyone who wants it changed is obviously a "violator" who wants more freedom to spread his hatred against anyone who he considers to be beneath him (and that is ALMOST everybody).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyalsip View Post
    Profanity is profanity, and any reasonably intelligent person will know the difference between right and wrong. I notice that you seem to be able to arrange words into recognizable sentences, so I assume that you are (reasonably) intelligent....so I don't need to tell you what the "bad" words are. If you are not sure, ask your mother.

As far as the "tattletale system" , that you seem to hate so much, it works just fine. I know of one individual who angered an entire guild, with his posts on the forums, and was subjected to repeated and ongoing on-line harrassment from that (formerly significant) guilds members. It was eventually necessary for him to report this harrassment, which resulted in several of the perpetrators being suspended for a few days. He was able to show screen shots of the tells he received, and the gm's were more than happy to help him with the problem. That made me a believer in the system as it stands. Thankfully, the guilty guild has diminished to the point that they are now a mere shadow of what they once were (or, THOUGHT they were at least). The entire DDO universe is now a better place because these obnoxious few were finally put in their place...both by the actions of the gm's AND the courageous forum postings of this person I know.

The system works for the violated. Anyone who wants it changed is obviously a "violator" who wants more freedom to spread his hatred against anyone who he considers to be beneath him (and that is ALMOST everybody).
    Wow, lookie here, someone got mad at me *and* learned how to use the search function! Goolan, we call such practices TROLLING. Keep going, you have a lot of posts to reply to.
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

Community Member

precisely! no one will ever get angry or upset with the words. its the intent. should i type out "i'm cant believe ^*^^&# stupid, i actually kept trying to heal the undead", likely that no one is going to report it. but if i use it as "omg why are you so ^*^^&# stupid, why cant you even cast a firewall?" then my intent is now different. its not that you do not understand it. its just that you only choose to focus your attention on the "communication" side of the word rather that the intent in the "communication"
    Right on.
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

They are unacceptable because people don't accept them. Think on that for a few minutes.

Master Kadish
    "Perhaps the end has not yet been written…”
    The Hand of the Black Tower Officer
    Najdorf, Assassin :: Keres, Vindicator :: Alekhine, Augur

"It's not 'Zerging.' It's an armed reconnaissance."

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guildmaster Kadish View Post
    They are unacceptable because people don't accept them. Think on that for a few minutes.
    Chicken and Egg! I say chicken... no, egg... wait, it was the chicken! Or was it the egg?

I get what you're saying... it's similar to the two types of laws: "malum prohibitum" (wrong because it is illegal - ex: speeding) and "malum in se" (wrong in itself - ex: murder). You're saying that because people don't accept profanity, it is wrong. I'm saying that there is nothing inherently wrong with swearing itself. While both arguments are correct, yours requires some flexibility: there are many settings where profanity is accepted, and therefore must not be wrong.
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

Chicken and Egg! I say chicken... no, egg... wait, it was the chicken! Or was it the egg?

I get what you're saying... it's similar to the two types of laws: "malum prohibitum" (wrong because it is illegal - ex: speeding) and "malum in se" (wrong in itself - ex: murder). You're saying that because people don't accept profanity, it is wrong. I'm saying that there is nothing inherently wrong with swearing itself. While both arguments are correct, yours requires some flexibility: there are many settings where profanity is accepted, and therefore must not be wrong.
    Fair enough; you've earned my respect. However, I will say that in an MMO where people of all different backgrounds and areas coexist, it is probably not wise to assume that profanity is accepted.

Master Kadish
    "Perhaps the end has not yet been written…”
    The Hand of the Black Tower Officer
    Najdorf, Assassin :: Keres, Vindicator :: Alekhine, Augur

"It's not 'Zerging.' It's an armed reconnaissance."

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guildmaster Kadish View Post
    Fair enough; you've earned my respect. However, I will say that in an MMO where people of all different backgrounds and areas coexist, it is probably not wise to assume that profanity is accepted.
    No doubt. You won't see me typing profanity into general chat, at least not on purpose.
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

No doubt. You won't see me typing profanity into general chat, at least not on purpose.
    abstinence is still the best. just like AIDS. no point using protective methods, medicines, etc. there is still a chance of getting it if you practice promiscuity. if u abstain then there is no chance..... unless some idiot donated tainted blood and u happen to be the recipient
    If you want to know why...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyalsip View Post

Yeah, I flat out disagree. I completely agree with Strakeln's statements, and I can count on probably 3 fingers, the number of times I typed (and probably two hands the times I have voiced) a curse in the past year and a half, and it certainly was never in anything other than guild chat - I hesitate to place myself in the "violator" category. As for tattle-taling, there's a fine line between appropriately calling in mommy/daddy and being a whiny tattle-tale. Too many people fail to find that line, and therefore the system is a failed system for it's intended purpose. Imho.
    Last edited by Kindoki; 08-18-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123