Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking For Ham.

Okay...drunken thought-form time...

I'd like to share with everyone a nice, easy, SIMPLE way to let everyone know that you're still away from your bloody keyboard. Put up your /lfh !!! Tharashkians have been doing this since headstart to let the group know that we're afk. This is especially useful during a particularly long raid when the smokers need to head out and do their thing while everyone else takes that opportunity to dodge family agro by saying "Hello...I'm still alive" to them.

/rant on

Honestly, most Tharashkians thought this was a DDO-wide practice, but no...instead, every single Thelanian and Xoriat that I've run into insists on just standing there like a lump with no visual indication that you're ready to get moving. And when they do return to their keyboard...? Half the time (no exaggeration for once) they don't say anything, type anything, or even twitch the character. Give us a freaking visual indication that you're back or still away, already!

Of course, I've been getting mildly irritated at another little quirk both of our new neighbors seem to think is entertaining...When I go afk, I've been getting Thelanians offering me ham for RP purposes (they think it's cute) and Xorians offering me ham because they're being sarcastic (they think they're original). No, ******!!! If you see a Tharashkian with that silly floating ham above his head, it means he/she is A-F-BLOODY-K!!!!

Stop sending me tells with "Har-har...You're looking for ham and I'm giving you one...Har-har...you there...? Hello...!? And I thought Xorians were rude..."

GAH!!!!!!!!! SHADDUP!!!!!!!!

You make me want to hang myself by my own entrails!!

/rant off

Good. I feel better now.

Seriously, though...if you type that useless /lfh command to indicate that you're afk, it'll make life a helluva lot more simple. Everyone heads out for a quick break, ham goes up...when each person returns, twitch your character to make it disappear and let the group know you're back. It'll make a world of difference, folks. Trust me.
    Last edited by Jundak; 08-11-2007 at 11:38 PM.
    Remember what you heard, when you werent even listening
    G.S.I - House Tharashk

Quote Originally Posted by Jundak View Post
    I'd like to share with everyone a nice, easy, SIMPLE way to let everyone know that you're still away from your bloody keyboard. Put up your /lfh !!! Tharashkians have been doing this since headstart to let the group know that we're afk. This is especially useful during a particularly long raid when the smokers need to head out and do their thing while everyone else takes that opportunity to dodge family agro by saying "Hello...I'm still alive" to them.
    Not gonna do it! Wouldn't be prudent, at this.... juncture. I cannot STAND LFH!!! It must die!!! Someday I WILL stab this thing in its cold black heart! I will however dance, or go to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundak View Post
    Of course, I've been getting mildly irritated at another little quirk both of our new neighbors seem to think is entertaining...When I go afk, I've been getting Thelanians offering me ham for RP purposes (they think it's cute) and Xorians offering me ham because they're being sarcastic (they think they're original). No, ******!!! If you see a Tharashkian with that silly floating ham above his head, it means he/she is A-F-BLOODY-K!!!!
    Perhaps, RPing aside, maybe, just maybe they think they are being nice and offering a neighborly gesture by offering you the ham you are looking for. Okay, I don't think so either but it could happen. It could...
    Proud member of DWAT - Xorian forged, quenched in the blood of butterflies
    Arnn, Duana, Gultyrr, Mahd Bardigan, Ahliriana, Arnnette, Conch Fritter, Jwuana, Thayla, Margaritte da Ville
    God is good, beer is great and women are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlith View Post
    Not gonna do it! Wouldn't be prudent, at this.... juncture. I cannot STAND LFH!!! It must die!!! Someday I WILL stab this thing in its cold black heart! I will however dance, or go to sleep.
    Good enough. At least it's a visual. But the ham's here to stay!

Quote Originally Posted by Arlith View Post
    Perhaps, RPing aside, maybe, just maybe they think they are being nice and offering a neighborly gesture by offering you the ham you are looking for. Okay, I don't think so either but it could happen. It could...
    No it couldn't.
    G.S.I - House Tharashk

Been using it off and on since we grouped together; I personally think it is a good idea and works well if everyone is on the same page. Heck until you told me I was like what the heck is this guy always doing /LFH on the PvP ledge! LoL

Anyways take care dude and I hope it catches on.
    **Thelanis**The Infamous Flaming Vagabonds**
    **Jameela*Ranger For Hire**Salvadorian*The Immortalized**
    **Dronn*Beefy Sorcerer**Cambel*Raging Pally**Dimah*Evasive Wizard**
    **Jumanah*TWF Ranger**Cruor* Wise Barbarian**Murjanah*Firey Bard**

That is a good idea. I will do that from now on. If I am AFK I will slap up a LFH.
    Visit Draaggar's Dagens & Daggers for all your adventuring needs.(closed after forum remodel)

Thelanis:
    Wapu Draaggar ~ 3 Ranger ~ ♀ Elf
    Aomas Draaggar ~ 6 Paladin ~ ♀ Drow
    Anthropic Draaggar ~ 4 Fighter ~ ♀ Human
    Asereth Draaggar ~ 3 Sorcerer ~♂ Human
    Akerue Draaggar ~ 10 Ranger/2 Rogue/2 Fighter ~ ♀ Elf

YES!!! Tharashkian hate...erh...ham is spreading!
    G.S.I - House Tharashk

Thelanis have love
    Xoriat have hate

and we'll give ham? Bah Jundak!
    Last edited by Solstice; 08-12-2007 at 04:53 PM.
    [Tharashk/Thelanis]
    Solsticium (Cleric 16) | Sver (Fighter 17) | Soulfang (Drow Sorc 5)
    Sollace (UMDArcher 16) | Baiakin (Halfling Rogue 12) | Boondock (Monk 5)
    [<o>] | The "S" Store |

Community Member PaintHorseCowboy's Avatar

Did I interperate this correctly?

Did you really just ask everyone in the game for more meat?

ROFLMAO
    ----------==========[[[ LEGION ]]]==========----------

Death Waits In The Dark

Look me up ingame, Jundak .. I got some tasty ham from that nice chaos-orb in Madstone Crater last night.
    I think that might help with your cravings.
    -=]ArchAngels[=-

Community Member

you know, ive always used the /lfh myself...was the only indefinite emote that made sense...kinda implied im out to dinner/lunch LOL
    Thank you all!
    INTRODUCING: Thelanis Thursdays (Sarlona Sundays now up and running too!)
    The Thelanis Mass Event Schedule - what's happening on server
    "Ask Mer'lask" of DDO Podcast Roleplaying advice for the community

Quote Originally Posted by PaintHorseCowboy View Post
    Did I interperate this correctly?

Did you really just ask everyone in the game for more meat?

ROFLMAO
    What? Huh...!? Talk about taking an entire post out of context.

And Sol...ham can be used as a missle weapon if thrown hard enough.
    G.S.I - House Tharashk

I guess I am the odd (wo)man out. I always use the /afk command when I go afk. I have also never had a problem in a party when someone goes afk - they usually post in party afk bio, letting the dog out, getting a drink, etc. and then usually say I'm back when they return. Usually the only time this doesn't happen is when lag eats them or they go ld.

Maybe I've just been lucky in the last year and a half.
    Proud to be part of the CureLite Bottling Co. - Thelanis
    The one. The only. The original. Groupie of the Band. The Band of the Shifting Sands
    ~ Moiyra ~ Jezzy ~ Bonni ~ Nighya ~
    "You make gimp look good!" -Akree

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybrat View Post
    I guess I am the odd (wo)man out. I always use the /afk command when I go afk. I have also never had a problem in a party when someone goes afk - they usually post in party afk bio, letting the dog out, getting a drink, etc. and then usually say I'm back when they return. Usually the only time this doesn't happen is when lag eats them or they go ld.

In party afk no prob. It's in general that I have to toss up the lfh. ppl walk by and go 'oh hey blah blah blah blah blah' and not in tells lol. Especially the rpers, knowing that I'm also an rper, who come up to try and interact w/ my characters. Naturally the lfh is very out-of-character lookin, so that's why I went with it. Going to sleep, sitting, facing in the corner. staring off aimlessly... none of that seemed to get the point across lol.
    Thank you all!
    INTRODUCING: Thelanis Thursdays (Sarlona Sundays now up and running too!)
    The Thelanis Mass Event Schedule - what's happening on server
    "Ask Mer'lask" of DDO Podcast Roleplaying advice for the community

Like I said, it's about 50% of the time...which is waaaaaay too often, imo. Even the folks who are religious about letting people know they're back have a senior moment...but those of us who are too damned old to go without diapers know that something's out of place when they see a bit of pork resting on their head. Reminds us to move and get rid of the silly thing, which in turn tells everyone else that you're at least paying attention to the screen.

For those of you who have adopted this little tidbit, thank-you. I actually saw a marked improvement tonight while pugging. And this is from people that I've been grouping with several times already since the merge. *thumbs up*
    G.S.I - House Tharashk

I've always just used /afk if I'm not in a group. If people send me tells they will get the message.

If in group I type /p afk fam in party chat when I have to get up quickly (have a family...sometimes have to leave quick) and always let people know when I return. Never been a /lfh person, never will be I expect...but I do understand and agree with the courtesy factor.
    Amadare Ardency Discordance Fascination Xalixis

Community Member PaintHorseCowboy's Avatar

Here's a little bit of a sadistic idea that sort of goes along with this thread. (And for those of you who take this sort of thing way too seriously, yeah, it's a joke.)

For the noobies, just /death...
    don't /lfh.

Then at least we can pick up your soulstone and you will auto-follow along with the party, thereby saving us the time and effort of coming back to find your lost self from what will probably amount to be at least half the quest away. This also saves us mana as you will undoubtedly find some new and inventive way to die at least twice while running to catch up to the rest of the party.

For some reason, I couldn't get the Permadeath guy to see the logic of this. For the life of me, I can't figure out why.
    ----------==========[[[ LEGION ]]]==========----------

Death Waits In The Dark

Why not post in development or general to get AFK changed, adding an icon over your head denoting your away from keyboard.....

LFH, never use it, but will give it a shot.....

Vinton's Place - DDO Game Guide V3.6.0 - 10/12/2011 - My DDO
    | Inferus Sus | Vinton Cerf | Kabraxis | Bubah Licious | Sanadil | Zanta | Ziamdis |

Yeah I do /afk too, I let my party know and anyone sending me tells will know once they see the message, /lfh is an amusing idea and it isn't too bad of one either, well I can recognize Xorians in general chat from them getting in other people's conversations in which I insult them, their momma, and their manhood, but now I know why I've seen so many people /lfh, it was the Tharashkians!
    Nereid || Seraphimn || Disir || Syllph
    The Infamous Flaming Vagabonds
    Thelanis

use the /lfh. you may be left standing at the door to the vault while i'm talking to the dwarf if you don't (tharashk hates incompetence). it is a clear visual indication that you are not there.

/afk is nice when your not in group so folks don't think you are blowing them off when you don't respond to tells.
    Last edited by weyoun; 08-13-2007 at 08:32 AM.
    Lysol, Winner of the Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence

Quote Originally Posted by lostinjapan View Post
    I've always just used /afk if I'm not in a group. If people send me tells they will get the message.

If in group I type /p afk fam in party chat when I have to get up quickly (have a family...sometimes have to leave quick) and always let people know when I return. Never been a /lfh person, never will be I expect...but I do understand and agree with the courtesy factor.

The /afk would make sense if the game put up some sort of visual graphic above your head.
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast