Question Calling Persistent/Casual Groups/Players

BACKGROUND
    I am part of a persistent (and "casual") group that has just moved over to Khyber from Reidra.

We generally play two nights a week from 8-11 pm (eastern) (usually Tue & Thur, but with some flexibility).

We have five regular members (but more often than not of late, only four of us at a time). We have been around for a while (head-start players), and our chars are currently 13th and 14th level.

REASON FOR POST
    We are looking for some folks to do the raids with. We have not done a single raid, because we understand they are designed for groups larger than 4 or 5. (And will generally require that when treated as "new" content by non-loot running characters.)

We are NOT looking for Sherpa guides. We are looking for other people who want to experience new (to them) content.

Are there such players (or other persistent groups) in the game, or should we just write off the raids?

(I can't think of anything less fun than spending an evening being guided through a raid by a group of players who have ran through it umpteen times.)

(Someone who has run it once or so in the dim past and still has some minor recollections of things is fine. We are generally that way when running quests at Hard and Elite. It has been so long since we did it on Normal, it almost qualifies as new content.)

Community Member Zenix_Leviticus's Avatar

I can appreciate your struggle. I am making a similar group on a different
    server this weekend. We always tried to do new content together as a guild
    until the guild got so freakin huge. We have decided to start from scratch
    with a dedicated group.

If you don't get help, I can bring some people that will not ruin your
    experience. You can make them turn off their mic if you want. You could think
    of them as hired hands.

You will probably get someone to help. If you don't, look me up.

I am a pro at playing dumb and acting clueless.
    Last edited by Zenix Leviticus; 08-14-2007 at 03:34 PM.
    Faithful Uprising
    Argonnessen- Narlges/Rylven/Zenixx/Arrgus/Bazili/Nellas-1/Mandingo-1/Uzzi-1/Pylus/Limubai

Khyber-Zenix/Melodee/Hankolas/Nellas/Kabooom/Mandingo

Community Member

Default Tough to Do

I am currently in a static group (Sunday nights). Our previous group was leveled from 1 to 12 with a group of 4 - we would sometimes pick up a rogue if necessary for a given quest.

When it came to Raids, it was a bit tougher to get people. Some of us were in a small guild, so we got a couple of people there and just put up a LFM for the rest. You can actually find people who aren't experienced and would like to come along, BUT you have to be patient - our Titan run took over an hour to fill, I believe. Also, the Raids can be very frustrating if you don't have someone along who knows the way.

I would recommend finding at least one experienced player who can guide you through - someone who understands what you are trying to accomplish. For the Titan, I recommend you get 2 people (for reasons that will be clear when you get into the quest). Then you can pretty much go from there.

As the other response stated, I'd be happy to help out if you can catch me in game and pick a time/date that works for both of us. PM me or find me on my characters below if you need a hand.

Alright, thanks for the offers of assistance/companionship.

Is anyone available on Tuesday the 14th from 8pm to 11pm Eastern?

Any raid is acceptable to us, as we have done none of them. (We have done VoN up until the Raid step.) Even Tempest Spine is fine, because, like I said, we've never even clicked to "form a Raid" button, so it is all new content.

One note on "new" content. We don't really want to have new content "spoiled", but tips that shorten a six-hour mission down to a two-to-three hour mission don't really qualify as "spoiling" it to us. We do need to go to bed and work the next day, and would like to complete the mission, since unlike PnP, we can't really stop in the middle and pick it up again at the next session. There is a happy medium between "frustration" and "flying by".

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    One note on "new" content. We don't really want to have new content "spoiled", but tips that shorten a six-hour mission down to a two-to-three hour mission don't really qualify as "spoiling" it to us. We do need to go to bed and work the next day, and would like to complete the mission, since unlike PnP, we can't really stop in the middle and pick it up again at the next session. There is a happy medium between "frustration" and "flying by".
    Although there is a happy medium between 'frustration' and 'flying by', it's really hard to find that middle point. I too like 'experiencing' quests but as you noted there are real life time constraints that constrain this. I can tell you that the only reason that some of us can fly by is because we spent a LOT of time on the raids trying to figure them out. For example, I spent a good 6 hours in a row when the Titan raid first came out with 3 other people with absolutely no hope of finishing the quest just to try to figure out how one of the puzzles worked.

Consequently, if you are doing the raids and want to experience them truely as first-timers, just be prepared to have a decent number of failed quests. Since raids can take a couple hours alone, it could be at least a couple days before you can complete one. I think that's probably why in a lot of pugs, the more experienced members generally take the lead; they've done this enough so that they don't want to have to fail and waste another 1-3 hours restarting it.

Regardless, I applaud you and your group for trying to keep the game fun and fresh.

Good luck!

PS: Also keep in mind that although difficult, it's not altogether impossible for a group of 4 or 5 folks to finish raids. As you can see from other posts, there are some that solo it. It is of course much harder since none of you have done it before, but if you have the patience and skill, it's not outside the realm of possiblity. The sweet is never as sweet without the bitter.

Community Member Zenix_Leviticus's Avatar

There will be a group of us online on the 14th that will wait for your tell.

I should have 5 people that can help.

Send a tell to Arrgus (me) when you log on and we will join you.
    Faithful Uprising
    Argonnessen- Narlges/Rylven/Zenixx/Arrgus/Bazili/Nellas-1/Mandingo-1/Uzzi-1/Pylus/Limubai

Khyber-Zenix/Melodee/Hankolas/Nellas/Kabooom/Mandingo

Quote Originally Posted by Zenix Leviticus View Post
    There will be a group of us online on the 14th that will wait for your tell.

I should have 5 people that can help.

Send a tell to Arrgus (me) when you log on and we will join you.
    Great. Thanks. I will be on Grith.

Community Member

Default Can't Do the 14th

Looks like you got some help for the 14th - I can't make it that evening, but if you need someone next week just repost in here and I'll see if we can't get some folks to come along.

Adios.