Thread: Build Question

Community Member

Default Build Question

Hi, I am new to DDO. I am wondering if I should wait to build a fighter/mage or sorc/pally combo until I have the ability to make a 32 point build? Are most of the hybrid builds listed here 32 point? Or would 28 point be viable? If 28 point isn't all that viable what class would help me achieve the favor needed fastest? Thanks for any answers ahead of time.

Community Member

It's best to wait till you have a 32 pt build if you want to go dwarf or warforged for the battlemage type build, because you'll have alot more leeway. Drow can be great sorc/paladin hybrids, however, and they require much less favor (400).

It's tough to say what class gets favor fastest.

aye,
    for non-drow, wait until 32.
    otherwise roll a drow at 400 favor if you want to try battlemage'ing.

i'd go with a paladin for getting to 400. tanking/melee'ing/self healing for the win. you can have 400 favor by level 5 or so, i would think.
    Kinlore the Arcane Avenger: Drow 2 Rogue - 2 Paladin - 10 Sorcerer
    khyber

At 1750 you get a +2 tome to use as you wish. Not the same as a 32pt build, but it's not bad since +2 tomes still don't grow on trees.

If you played a 28pt build and then the same 32pt build back-to-back, you'd probably have a hard time telling the difference. Make what you want and have fun. 1750 is a long time to wait to make the character you want to play. You can always reroll the same 28pt character later as a 32pt anyway, and that would be after you played the prototype long enough to know exactly what you want to do the second time around.

If you want to make something with a drow, that's different, you can unlock those pretty quickly.
    I can dodge fireballs, baby!
    "When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown-up."

Community Member

Default As a New Player

My personal recommendation is to hold off on the multi-classing until you get some more experience with DDO. Learning to do one thing well will help you in the long run. Just my opinion, but I would bring a character up to at least level 10 or 12 before starting a multi-class. You can definitely get help on building your character (single or multi-class) on these boards, but it is really hard to learn how to play by reading.

Once you get to a reasonable level, I think you'll find that it is not particularly easy to get to 1750 favor, but you can make a decision then on whether you would like to roll up a drow, a 28-point hybrid, or just keep on plugging the favor until you open up the 32.

Good luck!

Community Member

Default yeah

yeah i agree better off getting some experiance first will help in the long run

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Locathus View Post
    My personal recommendation is to hold off on the multi-classing until you get some more experience with DDO. Learning to do one thing well will help you in the long run. Just my opinion, but I would bring a character up to at least level 10 or 12 before starting a multi-class. You can definitely get help on building your character (single or multi-class) on these boards, but it is really hard to learn how to play by reading.

Once you get to a reasonable level, I think you'll find that it is not particularly easy to get to 1750 favor, but you can make a decision then on whether you would like to roll up a drow, a 28-point hybrid, or just keep on plugging the favor until you open up the 32.

Good luck!

I agree, best to hold off on a battle mage, till 32 pts and more game time.

These builds require a lot of skill,multi tasking, lots of plat, and good gear. I'd go with a pure class till you get some/most of those things under your belt.
    Last edited by CaptGrim; 08-09-2007 at 12:26 PM.
    Blind Faith

Noheels,Ravenwind-Sarlona,FirstOfOne,Kraagg

Community Member

Thanks for all the input, and I am noticing that out of everything I would lack the gear to make a hybrid effective even with the drow. I am VERY familiar with D&D, as I play in a weekly game. That being said I do appreciate what everyone has said and will be waiting until I have the coin or gear to properly make a good battlemage. Whether that be fighter/mage or pally/sorc. I will keep updated on what goes on the forums and will post my ideas once I have unlocked drow. Thanks again to everyone for their input.