Default To multi or not?

Beside losing out on a lvl 4 spell (FOM) is there any reason to take more than 11 levels of Ranger? I currently have a 1 Rogue/8 Ranger and I've been considering going 1 Rogue/2 Ftr/11 Ranger. This would get me 2 more feats and open up the fighter toughness enhancements.
    Charater Names: Mostly Jeryle for the dudes and Merreth for the ladies
    Main: Wizards and Healers
    Officer of Unbreakable

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

+5 Barkskin at L12.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Thanks. I'll have to consider this when I get to level 12. But atm I think the benifits of two levels of fighter outweigh the benefits of 1 AC especially at high level when AC isn't as important. I can get Ftr Str I, which will allow me with a +2 Tome to achieve a 28 Str with a Dex of 30 or I have the option of staying with a 26 Str and instead going with a 32 Dex.
    Officer of Unbreakable

You also miss out on a +1 to your reflex and will saves by not going 12 Ranger.

Food for thought: You might want to go 1 Ro/12 Ra/1 Fi and put off on the STR until next cap increase anyway. You'll have access to Fighter STR 1 and a +1 via the level 16 stat boost.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • Keep Lynnabel on task with updating the remaining legacy named loot to not suck. (I know you're tired Lynn, you can do this!)
    • All the flipping door lag!
    • Fix the flipping non-proficiency penalties for Bear and Wolf wildshapes!
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Vengenance View Post
    Beside losing out on a lvl 4 spell (FOM) is there any reason to take more than 11 levels of Ranger? I currently have a 1 Rogue/8 Ranger and I've been considering going 1 Rogue/2 Ftr/11 Ranger. This would get me 2 more feats and open up the fighter toughness enhancements.
    Dont forget that Palas, Rangers and Rogues are also getting Toughness with the new update

Community Member Mad_Bombardier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JD2134 View Post
    Dont forget that Palas, Rangers and Rogues are also getting Toughness with the new update
    Paladins already have Toughness. And I don't believe Rangers and Rogues are not slated to receive Toughness enhancements. If you are correct, can you please link the Dev post?

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've decided to stay with my original plan and go 13 Ranger/1 Rogue. The hit to my skill points makes taking the original level of rogue pointless. I want to have good/decent rogue skills with the build, which I currently have with this build. My rogue skills are nearly as effective as those on my level 13 Rogue/1 Ranger. I can't disable things on a 1, but I don't blow many boxes even on elite content and can open any lock even if it takes me a couple of tries. I consider myself as a back-up for a rogue and not as a replacement.

This is my first ranger and so far I'm loving it. It does insane DPS with many shot and does fair damage while ranging. With a 26 Str I can also do fair damage with Longswords (I'm elf) when necessary.
    Officer of Unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Bombardier View Post
    Paladins already have Toughness. And I don't believe Rangers and Rogues are not slated to receive Toughness enhancements. If you are correct, can you please link the Dev post?
    yes rangers will be receiving it.. but it wont be as good as fighter's toughness

i dont know about rogues cuz well franky.. i just dont care
    Aesch - Ranger 13|Paladin 3 ~ Aeschill - Sorceror 16
    You Cant Shake The Devil's Hand and Say You're Only Kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by AEschyl View Post
    yes rangers will be receiving it.. but it wont be as good as fighter's toughness

i dont know about rogues cuz well franky.. i just dont care
    I'm also unaware of this change. Could you link somewhere that shows it?
    Osharan, Esharan, Osharina, Usharina, etc... I'm the 'sharans. Epoxy. Notverysexy.
    I've taken the craft disturbing mental image feat... You have been warned!
    Share and Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Osharan Tregarth View Post
    I'm also unaware of this change. Could you link somewhere that shows it?
    i'm sorry, i mis-spoke... i was thinking about item defense lmao

my bad

I would personally recommend 12 ranger 1 fighter 1 rouge instead.

The 1 fighter gives you:

Free Feat
    Tower Shields

ENHANCEMENTS
    25% item defense
    +2 seeker
    +5 hitpoints (If you take toughness)

And when the cap hits 16 you can take 2 more ranger lvls for FOM.
    Twistedmetal - 20 Wizard Profiteer - 20 Monk Fingersmith - 18 Ranger/1 Fighter/1 Rogue Metalfatigue - 20 Barbarian -ELITE RAIDERS-

I do plan on taking two levels of fighter at some point, but probably not until the lvl cap is raised so I can keep my rogue skills at an acceptable level.
    Officer of Unbreakable

i would reccommend:

12 ranger/2 paladin

or

11 ranger/3 paladin

I like the idea of the two fighter levels. But you are right that taking them now would make it hard to maintain your rogue skills.

I'm also fond of the 11/2/1 Ranger/Paladin/Rogue that I'm running up. I'd originally made him human, but that was before the human versatility changes. If I make a re-roll of him, I'll probably do it as a drow for the stat syncronicity, or a 32 point elf for the extra bow enhancements. But the two paladin levels gives access to the extra +1 to hit with a bow from enhancements.

My current pure dex ranger(Isharan) is a little hampered by his starting stats(Started with 14 int and wis), but I've managed to keep him viable for now by picking up combat expertise, and a heck of a lot of high end loot. Self buffed with barkskin, and combat expertise, I'm sitting at a 50 ac. With a paladin around, 54ish. And against favored enemies, 57ish. I'll have to see how things work out with the next update.
    Last edited by Osharan Tregarth; 08-15-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    Osharan, Esharan, Osharina, Usharina, etc... I'm the 'sharans. Epoxy. Notverysexy.
    I've taken the craft disturbing mental image feat... You have been warned!
    Share and Enjoy!