Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21
    Community Member Slyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North F'n Jersey
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I do what I can in a group (as a rogue)...I'm not good at it yet, but I try. I'll pick anything I can, Trap boxes, Locks, Friends, Noses, Friends' noses, you name it.
    If you go outside in the middle of the winter without the proper coat and don't drop an F-Bomb, then you have anger issues.

  2. #22
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Amen Weedo.

    Whoever posted that xp runs are best done by completing optionals for extra xp is dead wrong. Most optionals are a time sink and you get xp quicker by completing the quests quicker. Period. Simple math will back me up on this...

    If you aren't in it for the xp and you want to take time to smell the roses, I'd suggest starting your own pug and stating something to that effect in your LFM. In my experience, most pugs aren't interested in taking their time...

    Getting to a quest and finding it 50% done is not what I had in mind.
    Just like I'm sure soloing 50% of the quest before the damn pugger manages to show up wasn't what this guy had in mind. Sounds to me like he hasn't early, you were late. Happens way too often in my experience. Either that or you joined the quest while it was already in progress, in which case you also have no basis to complain.
    Clay
    Everyone on Xoriat loves one another and its like when you are in grade 1 and you really like that girl, but you don't want her to know so you push her off the jungle gym...and she lands on her head...and gets knocked out...and the teacher has to take her to the infirmary...and you get the belt because they thought you were being mean when really you just really really like her.

    So it is Love, actually.
    Rayzor
    But let me tell you...your capital letters scared the hell out of me./shaking!!

  3. #23
    Community Member Camaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsgaard View Post
    LOL... man, you might want to curb your enthusiasm or they might think you're from Xoriat

    P.S. I can smell the Hate developing already ***jumps up and does Happy Hat Dance***
    Look everyone...he's dancing. Ah, the infectious nature of Thelanis.
    Officer in The Infamous Flaming Vagabonds

    Jecon Borrier/Camaron Borrier
    Xantalos Borrier/Andromedia Borrier

  4. #24
    Community Member lostinjapan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Misawa, Japan
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
    good xp runs means do all or close to all bonuses and optionals for more 5% to 35% xp bonus (considering ransack 10% and 25% bonus for kills)
    ....


    Stormcleave (for example) can be run twice (for 200% xp) in the same amount of time - or less- that it would take to run it once and get all optionals (for 135% xp).

    Weedo was correct, not you.
    Amadare Ardency Discordance Fascination Xalixis

  5. #25
    Community Member Shyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    www.housetharashk.net
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lostinjapan View Post
    ....


    Stormcleave (for example) can be run twice (for 200% xp) in the same amount of time - or less- that it would take to run it once and get all optionals (for 135% xp).

    Weedo was correct, not you.
    I see what your getting at but Stormcleave is a bad example. For an additional 5-10 min. (depending on the group) you can hit the side encounters for Conquest and all of the other optionals are along the way to the final boss.

    If you can run Stormcleave in even 10 min. in a correct lvl group (8) I for one would love to see the screenshots.

    But yes in most other quests it is faster to skip the optionals, i.e. Delaras.

    However in this instance, Sol's was correct, not you.
    Archangels
    ~Shyvik~
    Old school Tharashk player since '06

  6. #26
    Community Member lostinjapan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Misawa, Japan
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shyver View Post
    I see what your getting at but Stormcleave is a bad example. For an additional 5-10 min. (depending on the group) you can hit the side encounters for Conquest and all of the other optionals are along the way to the final boss.

    If you can run Stormcleave in even 10 min. in a correct lvl group (8) I for one would love to see the screenshots.

    But yes in most other quests it is faster to skip the optionals, i.e. Delaras.

    However in this instance, Sol's was correct, not you.
    Actually Stormcleave is a very good example. Maybe I should show you how I run it and prove my way is better. Then again, if a player has the unalterable attitude of "must break all boxes and kill all mobs", I really don't want to run with them. They waste my gaming time when I could be getting more xp and/or more loot.
    Amadare Ardency Discordance Fascination Xalixis

  7. #27
    Community Member Scarsgaard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    3,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Camaron View Post
    Look everyone...he's dancing. Ah, the infectious nature of Thelanis.
    LOL... my toons are often dancing... that's my way of letting folkes know that I'm in the can, getting more beer or generally afk... so if I seem unreceptive when I'm dancing... it just means I'm ignoring you

  8. #28
    Community Member Shyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    www.housetharashk.net
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lostinjapan View Post
    Actually Stormcleave is a very good example. Maybe I should show you how I run it and prove my way is better. Then again, if a player has the unalterable attitude of "must break all boxes and kill all mobs", I really don't want to run with them. They waste my gaming time when I could be getting more xp and/or more loot.
    Screenshot it for me, and please leave the attitude at the door.

    I was agreeing with you that in MOST cases it's best to leave optionals out to maximize your xp/time ratio. Just in this one example it only takes, at most, an additional 10 min to get the bonus xp for the quest.

    Your argument was that you could run it twice in the time to get the optionals in one run. I simply think this is an embeleshment to make a point. No embalishment is needed, simply use a different quest to make your point

    And by no means is your way better, just different.
    Archangels
    ~Shyvik~
    Old school Tharashk player since '06

  9. #29
    Community Member Scarsgaard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    3,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shyver View Post
    Screenshot it for me, and please leave the attitude at the door.

    I was agreeing with you that in MOST cases it's best to leave optionals out to maximize your xp/time ratio. Just in this one example it only takes, at most, an additional 10 min to get the bonus xp for the quest.

    Your argument was that you could run it twice in the time to get the optionals in one run. I simply think this is an embeleshment to make a point. No embalishment is needed, simply use a different quest to make your point

    And by no means is your way better, just different.
    Sad to say but SC is the only quest where I thouroughly enjoy killing everything Not sure why but I just love hunting everything down.

  10. #30
    Community Member Solstice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    528

    Default

    IMO

    first run on normal/hard/elite - get all bonus, take 5-10 minutes more time and get more xp.

    not first time running in the difficult - run for complete.

    again, is just a communication: FAST RUN or LOW RUN or RUN FOR ALL BONUSES (before the module 1, TS and SC LFMs was flagged with this message)
    [Tharashk/Thelanis]
    Solsticium (Cleric 16) | Sver (Fighter 17) | Soulfang (Drow Sorc 5)
    Sollace (UMDArcher 16) | Baiakin (Halfling Rogue 12) | Boondock (Monk 5)
    [<o>] | The "S" Store |

  11. #31
    Community Member Jundak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Apparently invisible to the DDO boards.
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lostinjapan View Post
    Actually Stormcleave is a very good example. Maybe I should show you how I run it and prove my way is better. Then again, if a player has the unalterable attitude of "must break all boxes and kill all mobs", I really don't want to run with them. They waste my gaming time when I could be getting more xp and/or more loot.
    Having done both, I see both sides of this argument. However, it looks to me like this is turning into a ****ing contest...it's about playstyle. Nothing more.

    Now...seeing as how you're in Misawa, Japan (and I'm assuming the Air Base), I can see that you're military. I was stationed there for 8 years, so I'm fully aware of the time constraints that are impressed upon you, whether you're a dorm rat or family man (woman?). Please realize that most of the people who play DDO are not military, therefore haven't the slightest clue about time constraints in the military (especially overseas with two squadrons of F-16's on combat standby, 24/7/365) v.s. civilian life. In another thread, there's an individual that says something about speaking up in a group in regards to how you need to spend your gaming time...well, that goes for both sides of this argument. Speak up, leave the group, or just don't bloody complain. *shrug*

    No offense meant to anyone...just trying to put things in perspective.
    Remember what you heard, when you werent even listening
    G.S.I - House Tharashk

  12. #32
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    And by no means is your way better, just different.
    Quicker = better

    especially overseas with two squadrons of F-16's on combat standby, 24/7/365
    Pfft. F-16's.

    F/A-18's ftw.
    Clay
    Everyone on Xoriat loves one another and its like when you are in grade 1 and you really like that girl, but you don't want her to know so you push her off the jungle gym...and she lands on her head...and gets knocked out...and the teacher has to take her to the infirmary...and you get the belt because they thought you were being mean when really you just really really like her.

    So it is Love, actually.
    Rayzor
    But let me tell you...your capital letters scared the hell out of me./shaking!!

  13. #33
    Community Member Shyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    www.housetharashk.net
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loki523 View Post
    Quicker = better
    True when taken as just that statement and out of context.
    Archangels
    ~Shyvik~
    Old school Tharashk player since '06

  14. #34
    Community Member Jundak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Apparently invisible to the DDO boards.
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Hehe...

    Well, an F-16 was the bird of choice when I was in, youngster.
    Remember what you heard, when you werent even listening
    G.S.I - House Tharashk

  15. #35
    Community Member Shyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    www.housetharashk.net
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsgaard View Post
    I guess that depends on the mood
    Ya know I was thinking something along the same lines, but decided against making the comment.

    EDIT: I've gotten used to how much you like Ninja's scar. So here ya go.
    Last edited by Shyver; 08-07-2007 at 01:35 PM.
    Archangels
    ~Shyvik~
    Old school Tharashk player since '06

  16. #36
    Community Member Scarsgaard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    3,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shyver View Post
    True when taken as just that statement and out of context.
    I guess that depends on the mood

  17. #37

    Default

    Speed vs Efficiency

    True: If you are just trying to level up ASAP then doing the quests without optionals is by far faster than scouring the quest.

    however

    True: If you don't like repeating quests, then doing all the optionals is more efieceint because you level on fewer total quests run and have less need to repeat in order to level.

    Here is how I generaly approach quests..
    1st time: Figure it out, explore, win the quest, don't sweat the details
    2nd - 3rd time: Look for all the optionals and stuff, expereince all it has to offer.
    4-5: Go through and hit the fun stuff and chests
    6+: Just blaze through ASAP, at this point I am "using" the quest for some purpose.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

  18. #38
    Community Member Jundak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Apparently invisible to the DDO boards.
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sigtrent View Post
    Here is how I generaly approach quests..
    1st time: Figure it out, explore, win the quest, don't sweat the details
    2nd - 3rd time: Look for all the optionals and stuff, expereince all it has to offer.
    4-5: Go through and hit the fun stuff and chests
    6+: Just blaze through ASAP, at this point I am "using" the quest for some purpose.
    Nice way to break it down, man.

    I think pretty much everyone that I've run with on Tharashk treats quests the exact same way. Except for the breakables issue...we don't go out of our way to hit every single out-of-the-way barrel, but we will smash everything along the way to get at least a small bonus.
    Remember what you heard, when you werent even listening
    G.S.I - House Tharashk

  19. #39
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,114

    Default

    Well, an F-16 was the bird of choice when I was in, youngster.
    Not in the Navy it wasn't.

    And we all know the real pilots are in the Navy not the Chair Force.
    Clay
    Everyone on Xoriat loves one another and its like when you are in grade 1 and you really like that girl, but you don't want her to know so you push her off the jungle gym...and she lands on her head...and gets knocked out...and the teacher has to take her to the infirmary...and you get the belt because they thought you were being mean when really you just really really like her.

    So it is Love, actually.
    Rayzor
    But let me tell you...your capital letters scared the hell out of me./shaking!!

  20. #40
    Community Member lostinjapan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Misawa, Japan
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shyver View Post
    Screenshot it for me, and please leave the attitude at the door.

    I was agreeing with you that in MOST cases it's best to leave optionals out to maximize your xp/time ratio. Just in this one example it only takes, at most, an additional 10 min to get the bonus xp for the quest.

    Your argument was that you could run it twice in the time to get the optionals in one run. I simply think this is an embeleshment to make a point. No embalishment is needed, simply use a different quest to make your point

    And by no means is your way better, just different.
    I wasn't giving an attitude. Trust me, if I give attitude people know it (ask around).

    As for how I run it, I bypass just about everything up until the bridge entering the 'real' part of the quest. Leave off the caves as well. Leave off the ransack, conquest, extra skellies from the giant and only do what is necessary to get completion. Doesn't take too long that way. Otherwise you're running around not only trying to break things/kill everything/pick up all the crates, but you are wasting time dealing with bugged out scorpions and wolves that run and hide from you. Screenshot unecessary, just try it that way for once.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jundak View Post
    Having done both, I see both sides of this argument. However, it looks to me like this is turning into a ****ing contest...it's about playstyle. Nothing more.

    Now...seeing as how you're in Misawa, Japan (and I'm assuming the Air Base), I can see that you're military. I was stationed there for 8 years, so I'm fully aware of the time constraints that are impressed upon you, whether you're a dorm rat or family man (woman?). Please realize that most of the people who play DDO are not military, therefore haven't the slightest clue about time constraints in the military (especially overseas with two squadrons of F-16's on combat standby, 24/7/365) v.s. civilian life. In another thread, there's an individual that says something about speaking up in a group in regards to how you need to spend your gaming time...well, that goes for both sides of this argument. Speak up, leave the group, or just don't bloody complain. *shrug*

    No offense meant to anyone...just trying to put things in perspective.
    Female. :P

    It is about playstyle. I don't run quests quickly in an effort to be a pain to those who want to get all optionals or to be an elitist and have the highest kill count, I run them quickly because I need to. I am a military spouse (an obligation in itself...if you know you know but there is no way I can explain it to you), but have many other obligations as well (child, work, school, etc.) as well as a husband who is on call 24/7/365. I do try to let people know how I plan on playing...ie if I put up an LFM for say a desert quest I post that they need to know the quest and know how to get there on their own.

    It's like coming to these forums with a suggestion or a complaint or a compliment and having someone say "there's already been 20 threads about this". So what? I don't have time to do an extensive search...the search engine for the boards is seriously lacking. Not everyone can be a board monkey.

    Basically it boils down to, I try to find the quickest and most efficient way to do something and I don't have the time to wait on people who want to stop and smell the roses.
    Amadare Ardency Discordance Fascination Xalixis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload