Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The "Riott" Tank - Original AC Intimitank

About Riott
    As a DDO Player I've been playing since Alpha testing. Approximately 1 year prior to release.
    As a DnD Player I've been playing since 1980 and continue to play today. I've been a play tester and a game designer all through out the latter part of the 80's and up until as recent as 2004.

**Anyway guys, All that being said, as of March 2010, I have cancelled my account, and I am retiring.
    It's been fun, the imput here has been fun, both the good and bad. This thread sums up a ton of info and feedback and really goes back qutie a ways into DDO lore and how the game has changed.
    Thanks all for keeping this thread alive and from what I can tell pretty popular.
    I'm glad you've all enjoyed this build, and/or gleamed ways to customize and make your own builds.

Take care,**

So what made me design this build?
    It was obvious in the early days of testing that DPS was going to be the "BLING" of DDO.
    Finger fighters(aka sorcs) and damage dealers were going to have alot of fun in this system.
    However in Alpha testing there were not many players on line at once at all, and the conventional group makeup was not always there.

I saw the definite need for a Defensive minded Intimitank build that really cut down on the expenditure of party resources. Especially if a Cleric was not available. And that was quite often.

It turned out really well. And even though with the high numbers of players on line after release, the defensive intimitank still acts in many ways to conserve party resources. It's not a build you "need" to have 2-3 of to be good. It only takes one to maximize a party's resources, but at the same time, having more does not cripple the party by any means.

The Riott Tank
    =========================
    The Riott Tank is a Pure Fighter Build that provides a High Intimidate, High AC, and High Saves while maintaining the capability for a respectable Damage Output. Because it stays straight Fighter it maintains the maximum BaB, and can feed off Paladins Auras and virtually any buff, which makes the top end of this build VERY HIGH in optimal conditions. And because it does not multi-class it is very Feat heavy. Which allows for extra HP on the back end.

Staying straight Fighter also keeps it attuned to gaining the most optimum fighter Enhancements as well.
    The Riott tank is also geared for the Stalwart Defender PRC Enhancements.
    But someone who values more balance could even make use of the Kensai Line of enhancements as well.

Please make a note of this.
    AC builds in DDO are very gear dependent. While you can be quite good with basic gear, the top end AC builds do alot of raiding and crafting to get the optimum stuff. But as they say, "If I can do it, you can do it."

The Riott Tanks skills are superb. Intimidate, Jump, Tumble, Balance, and even other peripheral skills turn a healthy positive modifier to round out the character. That's the advantage of being human and the higher starting INT score.

A build like this however, comes with several understandings.
    You're not going to out damage Raging Barbarians, Tempest Rangers, and Kensai. Accept it, and move on.
    You can however do some excellent damage in 2 hander mode. But again, this is not your primary purpose and will always be a bit behind the mainstream DPS builds.

Secondly, this does require a certain nack or skill to play. Some folks aren't as "twitch" or are too "offensive minded". And they'll give up on it or defame it. A lot of people don't have the skill or patience to use the Intimidate skill very well. That's just the way it is.

**Evasion**
    The choice to not take Evasion was simple.
    Your Reflex saves are just as high as most hybrids, and evasion only applies to Successful Saves. With resist and protection gear a successful save will result in zero damage from the most popular AOE spells already. Casters rarely get to hit you 2-3 times with them anyway. And the benefit of not having to take 2 levels to get this ability come in the way of HP, BaB, Feats, and Enhancements.

The Riott Tank is a defensive minded hybrid for lack of a better term.
    It's between a Totally Defensive build and a True Hybrid.
    Being as defensive as possible while maintaining respectable offensive capability.

The Stalwart Defender Enhancements though push it toward a very defensive build.
    While the Kensai line would put you more into the true hybrid category.

So without much further adieu, The "Riott" Tank Build.
    =================================================
    Race = Human

Attributes to start (28 points)
    ----------------------------
    Str = 16 (10 pts)
    17 at 4th lvl, 18 at 8th, 19 at 12th, 20 at 16th, 21 at 20th

Dex = 14 (6 pts)
    Con = 12 (4 pts) (14 - 6 pts in 32 point build)
    Int = 14 (6 pts)
    Wis = 10 (2 pts)
    Cha = 8 (0 pts) (10 - 2 pts in 32 point build)

Base Feats By level
    F= Fighter Feat
    H= Human Feat
    -------------------
    1- Luck of Heroes
    1F - Dodge
    1H - Lightning Reflexes
    2F - Weapon Focus (Slashing)
    3 - Iron Will
    4F - Weapon Specialization (Slashing)
    6 - Toughness
    6F - Improved Shield Bash
    8F - Improved Critical (Slashing)
    9 - Skill Focus: Intimidate
    10F - Combat Expertise
    12 - Toughness
    12F - Greater Weapon Spec. (Slashing)
    14F - Shield Mastery
    15 - Toughness
    16F - Power Attack
    18 - Toughness
    18F - Improved Shield Mastery
    20F - Greater Weapon Focus (Slashing)

Alternate DPS increase version
    **Requires +3 Dex tome**
    F= Fighter Feat
    H= Human Feat
    -------------------
    1- Luck of Heroes
    1F - Dodge
    1H - Lightning Reflexes
    2F - Weapon Focus (Slashing)
    3 - Iron Will
    4F - Weapon Specialization (Slashing)
    6 - Toughness
    6F - Power Attack
    8F - Improved Critical (Slashing)
    9 - Skill Focus: Intimidate
    10F - Combat Expertise
    12 - Toughness
    12F - Greater Weapon Spec. (Slashing)
    14F - Shield Mastery
    15 - Toughness
    16F - Cleave
    18 - Two Weapon Fighting
    18F - Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    20F - Greater Two Weapon Fighting

==================================================
    Skills Synopsis:

This is one of the Strengths of this build.
    Level 20 = 115 skill points.

Intimidate - Base skill at high level you want to be in the 45 area. That will get most things all the time.
    However, in the high end there's some mobs that require 50+ to "Never" fail on.

Also invest in Balance, Jump, UMD, Tumble, and whatever else floats your boat. You have tons of points.

Action Point Synopsis:
    With the ENH system now there's no "Sure fire" layout, because equipment will play a big factor especially in gaining EVEN numbered Attributes.

So Below is a synopsis of "Must Haves" for the TANK Type fighter.
    The rest of the points are up to you.

MUST HAVES
    Fighter STR - (between this and Human adaptability take what you need to provide an EVEN numbered STR score)

Fighter Weapon Alacrity at level 20 is a must. It is the capstone after all!

Human Versatility X (with the new elite mobs and increased elite bosses, the versatility of this ENH far outshines the fighter action boosts which must be taken separately) This is very nice to have, until you need to have Fighter Armor Boost for Stalwart Defender.

Fighter Intimidate 4
    Armor Mastery (as high as needed to accommodate Dex) being a Stalwart Defender reduces this number
    Tower Mastery (as high as needed to accommodate Dex) being a Stalwart Defender reduces this number
    Toughness 3 or 4
    Racial Toughness 2

Human Recovery 2 or 3
    Item Defense 1 or 2 (for Stalwart Defender)

Human Adaptability : This is where Human pays off, being able to round out a Stat to the next Even number is BIG. It can save on ENH points and really helps when choosing gear.

**NOTE** this doesn't spend all your points....

Stat reasons:
    16 STR - as high as you can afford, and increase it with every bonus stat.
    14 DEX - Mithral Full Plate will allow the extra AC, you get access to Dodge feat. (prereq is 13) and REFLEX Save is 1 higher. This alone will help you avoid those AoE's when yer taunting.
    12 CON - As much as you can afford. Fort saves are a fighters main save anyway, so this is only really boosting HP. and you'll easily peak over 400 by level 20.
    14 INT - Combat reflexes requires the 13. And for a 14, you get 13 more skill points over 10 levels. So it's worth it to take at level 1. Skills are not just trash stats in DnD.
    10 WIS - avoiding the negative will save modifier.
    8 CHA - the one thing you use CHA for is Intimidate, and it's a class skill you can max out. Boost this with magic when you can to defeat the negative modifier.

Over the years I've been asked many times what my equipment is.
    Gear takes on many combinations depending upon what I'm trying to achieve. So there is no set configuration.
    However here is a list of the major items that I use regularly.

Gear Layout
    =================================

Trinket: Head of Good Fortune, Blood rage Symbiont (Adamantine Ritual), Pouch of Jerky, Mummified Bat, Voice of the Master, Pearl of the Sirens, Bloodstone

Head: Intimidate +15, Helm of Mroranon

Eyes: Triple Negative Goggles with Alchemical Saves Ritual (Shroud) - full immunity line.

Neck: Stalwart Necklace, Supreme Tyrant Green Steel Weave Neclace of Mineral (Shroud) with Alchemical Saves Ritual, Amulet of the Stormreaver x2, Golden Cartouche

Back: Jungle Cloak X2, Greater Sonic Cloak, 45 Resist cloaks from Shroud (Cold, Electricity, Fire), Zephyr Cloak, Ice Cloak

Armor: Dragon plate with Greater False Life, Dex +6, +4 Insight AC Bonus, & Alchemical ritual, White Dragon Scale armor, Black Dragon Scale Armor

Wrists: Leviks Bracers, Chaosguards

Gloves: Supreme Tyrant Green Steel Weave Gloves of Mineral (Shroud), Bramble Casters, Spectral Gloves

Rings: Cinder's Ring, Chattering Ring, Seal of the Earth, Ring of the Djinn, Tumbleweed

Waist: Vorn's Belt, Daggertooth Belt, Belt of Mroranon, Belt of Brute Strength, Lion headed Belt Buckle

Boots: Boots of the Innocent, Madstone boots, Gyroscopic Boots, Kundarak Delving Boots

Shield: Levik's Defender, +5 Mithral Tower of Bashing

============================

Weapons

Triple Positive Longsword and Scimitar.
    Mineral 2 Longsword - transmuter
    Shining Crescents
    Sword of Shadows
    Standard Fun pack (Vorpal, Wounder, Disruptor)

Don't need Ghost Touch due to spectral gloves.
    Last edited by Tolero; 03-09-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Riott Ad Infinitum ~20 Fighter ~ 67 AC unbuffed ~ "Riott, AC Intimi-Tank Build"
    Founder of the Twilight Avengers ~ Khyber Server ~ Owner of the Ultimate Gaming Table
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for the rest of the day. Light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life."

WikiGnome

Did you reconsider the efficient level for Figther Toughness since Mod 4.2? I know you have removed your con item, so I guess you hve also increase your fighter toughness?
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Riot, might you be working on a new fluff explination for Mod 4.2 now that it's out? The stuff you have now is woefully dated and may cause confusion and/or incomprehension with new players.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

yeah yeah yeah... let me get the old post back first... still a little miffed they trashed a post on the front page with over a gazillion views...
    Founder of the Twilight Avengers ~ Khyber Server ~ Owner of the Ultimate Gaming Table
    "Build a man a fire, keep him warm for the rest of the day. Light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life."

I doubt it was intentional, but, yes, it is a bit frustrating to lose such a thread.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

Especially since we lost a lot of valuable discussions in the many posts and pages of those older build threads.

My main toon, Gutter, was a dwarven version of the Riott Tank however with shards he has evolved into more of a tactical fighter. Gutter has become pretty successful so I thought I would start another fighter based on this build.

This time I'd like to stay more true to the build as an AC Intimitank. The only changes I have made are first; I decided to go with bludgeon weapon focus. My other toons are slashers so I wanted to build one that can use all the fine bludgeon weapons I find. The question I have is do bludgeon weapon feats affect shield bash?

The other change I made was swapping the feat positions of Iron Will and Toughness. I had a hard time getting the Riot recomended enhancements without have toughness earlier in the level progression.

With my extra Enhancements I'm going to take some AC action boost perhaps even dropping Toughness 3 for more of an AC boost however I'm still working this out.

Another thought was changing Iron Will for Bull Headed.

Anyway looking forward to the fun and how about my question concerning bludgeon weapon feats working on shield bash, anyone know for sure?
    Sarlona
    Gutter-Oowaoonah-Ute-Mauhl-Rockroll-Gutsack-Talrasha

WikiGnome

No, blunt focus = no better SB.

Sure about that?

I thought Blunt Focus was supposed to affect Shield Bashing.
    At least that's what we were told many moons ago.

From looking at my character sheet, it doesn't appear that bludgeoning focus/specialization helps shields. @ BAB14 & 30 str I'm seeing +24 to hit and +5 damage with a heavy shield and +22/+5 w/ TS despite GWF:B & GWS:B.
    Recently completed a very slow Completionist adventure, playing each class until I was bored. My son (Henry) randomly picked the next class from the ones I hadn't done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vyvy3369 View Post
    From looking at my character sheet, it doesn't appear that bludgeoning focus/specialization helps shields. @ BAB14 & 30 str I'm seeing +24 to hit and +5 damage with a heavy shield and +22/+5 w/ TS despite GWF:B & GWS:B.

I wanted to see if Improved Crit works with shields, but I'm too lazy and cheap to burn Shards on it

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Riot View Post
    Sure about that?

Well, it SHOULD, but it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldini View Post
    I wanted to see if Improved Crit works with shields, but I'm too lazy and cheap to burn Shards on it
    Crits are 20/x2, so no.
    Recently completed a very slow Completionist adventure, playing each class until I was bored. My son (Henry) randomly picked the next class from the ones I hadn't done yet.

Crits are 20/x2, so no.

Yeah? Are you saying you have Improved Crit Bludgeoning on one of your characters?

That's correct.

I remember this coming up a long time ago, but have no idea what the result was at that point. The website doesn't list shields under the Bludgeoning line of feats currently either, so unless it's a display bug, WF:B, GWF:B, WS:B, GWS:B, and IC:B do not apply to shields.

Community Member Malachi_Stormlight2's Avatar

That's correct.

I remember this coming up a long time ago, but have no idea what the result was at that point. The website doesn't list shields under the Bludgeoning line of feats currently either, so unless it's a display bug, WF:B, GWF:B, WS:B, GWS:B, and IC:B do not apply to shields.
    That sucks, it should, they are a bludgeon effect. Heck it even lists bludgeon on your inventory sheet next to the bludgeon damage the shield does.

Yeah I thought according to PnP rules that bludgeoning feats should work on shields.

The weapon categories was a DDO construct. PnP Feats require you to select one weapon to gain the benefits of those feats.

The weapon categories was a DDO construct. PnP Feats require you to select one weapon to gain the benefits of those feats.
    Bad news for bashers, but the devs should be more consistent. If they're gonna let the barb critical rage apply to shields, they should let Improved Crit apply to shields as well.

Looks like I need to post in the Dev forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Riot View Post
    Sure about that?

I tested this out back in beta .. it didn't work then, and to my knowledge, hasn't been changed since then.
    -=]ArchAngels[=-

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast