Level 9 - Improved Critical: Slashing
    Level 12 - Greater Two Handed Fighting

Enhancements (Point Progression):
    Barbarian Damage Reduction Boost I (1)
    Barbarian Power Attack I (2)
    Barbarian Constitution I (4)
    Barbarian Extended Rage I (5)
    Barbarian Extra Rage I (6)
    Barbarian Improved Damage Reduction I (8)
    Barbarian Power Rage I (9)
    Human Improved Recovery I (11)
    Barbarian Damage Reduction Boost II (13)
    Barbarian Sprint Boost I (14)
    Barbarian Extended Rage II (16)
    Barbarian Power Attack II (18)
    Barbarian Power Rage II (20)
    Barbarian Extra Rage II (22)
    Human Adaptability Strength I (24)
    Barbarian Damage Reduction Boost III (27)
    Barbarian Extended Rage III (30)
    Barbarian Power Rage III (33)
    Barbarian Damage Reduction Boost IV (37)
    Barbarian Extended Rage IV (41)
    Barbarian Extra Rage III (44)
    Barbarian Power Rage IV (48)
    Barbarian Critical Rage I (50)
    Barbarian Critical Rage II (54)
    Barbarian Sprint Boost II (56)

Skills:
    Jump
    Tumble
    Listen
    Balance

WARFORGED VERSION:

Level 14 Warforged Barbarian

Stats (32 Point Build):
    Strength - 18 +3 (@ Levels 4, 8 and 12)
    Dexterity - 14
    Constitution - 18
    Intelligence - 8
    Wisdom - 6
    Charisma - 6

Feats:
    Level 1 - Two Handed Fighting
    Level 3 - Power Attack
    Level 6 - Improved Two Handed Fighting

Enhancements:
    Barbarian Critical Rage I
    Barbarian Critical Rage II
    Barbarian Extend Rage I
    Barbarian Extend Rage II
    Barbarian Extend Rage III
    Barbarian Extend Rage IV
    Barbarian Extra Rage I
    Barbarian Extra Rage II
    Barbarian Extra Rage III
    Barbarian Hardy Rage I
    Barbarian Hardy Rage II
    Barbarian Power Attack I
    Barbarian Power Attack II
    Barbarian Power Rage I
    Barbarian Power Rage II
    Barbarian Power Rage III
    Barbarian Power Rage IV
    Barbarian Willpower I/Barbarian Sprint Boost I
    Barbarian Constitution I
    Barbarian Constitution II
    Warforged Constitution I
    Warforged Healer's Friend I
    Warforged Healer's Friend II
    Warforged Power Attack I
    Warforged Power Attack II

DWARVEN VERSION:

Level 14 Dwarven Barbarian

Stats (32 Point Build):
    Strength - 18 +3 (@ Levels 4, 8 and 12)
    Dexterity - 14
    Constitution - 18
    Intelligence - 8
    Wisdom - 8
    Charisma - 6

Feats:
    Level 1 - Two Handed Fighting
    Level 3 - Power Attack
    Level 6 - Improved Two Handed Fighting

Enhancements:
    Barbarian Sprint Boost I
    Barbarian Critical Rage I
    Barbarian Critical Rage II
    Barbarian Extend Rage I
    Barbarian Extend Rage II
    Barbarian Extend Rage III
    Barbarian Extend Rage IV
    Barbarian Extra Rage I
    Barbarian Extra Rage II
    Barbarian Extra Rage III
    Barbarian Hardy Rage I
    Barbarian Hardy Rage II
    Barbarian Power Rage I
    Barbarian Power Rage II
    Barbarian Power Rage III
    Barbarian Power Rage IV
    Barbarian Willpower I
    Barbarian Willpower II
    Dwarven Axe Attack I
    Dwarven Axe Damage I
    Dwarven Constitution I
    Dwarven Constitution II
    Dwarven Spell Defense I
    Barbarian Constitution I
    Barbarian Constitution II

Notes (Notes on Stats Apply Only to Human Build):

1) This build is all about DPS. That is why I chose the feats that I did. I took the two-handed fighting feats because they're the gateway to Superior Two-Handed Fighting, which in my mind will do some decent damage with Glancing Blows.

2) This build is all about Rage. The three rage enhancements that I took are to me, the most important Rage enhancements in the game. With this build, you have the upper limit of a 42 Strength. Here is the Strength breakdown:

+18 Base
    +3 Levels
    +10 Rage
    +1 Human Adaptability
    +6 Dragon Loot
    +2 Tome
    +2 Rage Spell
    Total Max Strength: 42

3) Glancing Blows, Glancing Blows, Glancing Blows. Yes, they are indeed important to this build. This build can increase the damage from Glancing Blows to over 10 per hit. When you multiply that over several targets, that is some severe AoE DPS. It may not look like a lot, but the affect adds up. In addtion, Greater Two-Handed Fighting allows you to do Glancing Blow damage on additional swings instead of just on your first swing. The feat also allows you to do Glancing Blows while you move and swing. And Superior Two-Handed Fighting can only mean good things for this build as well in the future. As a note, Barbarian Action Boost V which adds +10 damage for 20 seconds a pop, does increase the damage of your glancing blows, though I don't think it's quite as much as on a regular hit.

4) Play smart. Playing a Barbarian takes a little more finesse than playing another melee class. Our strength is not in defense, though we can become very adequate hybrids. Don't stand in the middle of a group of monsters and swing like a madman. Instead let the defensive fighter or Paladin run in first and get aggro, then you jump in and dish out damage in addition to getting a +2 Attack for flanking. Any barbarian can always get max damage output with an intimidating tank on the team.

5) Attack score is important to this build. Here is the Attack breakdown:

+14 BAB
    +16 from Max Strength
    +5 Weapon
    +1 Weapon Focus
    Total: +36 Base/+31 with Power Attack

NOTE: With max buffs and items, this barb can hit over a +50 Attack, nothing can withstand that kind of power.

6) Damage is important too and it is where this build shines. The following is the base damage you can achieve with a two-handed weapon and Max Strength:

+24 from Max Strength (Two-Handed)
    +13 Power Attack (Two-Handed)
    +5 Weapon
    Total: +42 Base

Always remember that the Attack and Damage scores listed are without outside buffs. So with buffs, the numbers sky-rocket.

7) Rage Calculation:

Max Constitution:
    16 Base
    6 Item
    2 Tome
    2 Rage Spell
    6 Rage
    2 Enhancements
    Total: 34 or +12 Mod

Rage Time = (18 + 6*12)*2 = 180 seconds or 3 minutes/Rage

7 Rages * 3 minutes/Rage = 21 minutes of Rage/Rest Shrine

8) Diplomacy! This is a far stretch for Barbs since it isn't a class skill, but anything that you can do to boost up your diplomacy skill would be beneficial. For those who don't know, it's the opposite of intimidate. It deaggros you for 6 seconds out of every 10 I believe, not matter how much DPS you're doing. It can save your life in a pinch and conserve party resources.

9) Max AC (Two-Handed, Burst):

NOTE: This is computed for the sake of showing maximum defensive possiblity. This is not to say that I would run around with this all the time because I couldn't due to the limitations of the IUD boost. The point was to show what is achievable. I honestly don't even know why I'm justifying this, but some people don't know how to read into things I guess...

10 Base
    13 +5 Mithral Full Plate
    3 Max Dex
    4 Shield Spell Clicky
    6 Improved Uncanny Dodge
    5 Protection Item
    2 Recitation
    2 Defensive Fighting
    3 Chattering Ring
    5 Barkskin
    Total: 53 Standing (Buffed) / 55 Blocking / 57 with Paladin Nearby

NOTE: Add another +2 if you can UMD the Chaosguarde Bracers. Subtract -4 AC if you're double Raging or -2 AC if you're just normally Raging.

10) Normal Gear for my Playstyle:

This is just a list of what I like to wear on my Barbarian so as to give others an idea of what works well for a DPS barbarian.

+5 Mithral FP or Fire Guard Armor -> I wear the Mithral 'just because' and I wear the Fire Guard to add a little extra DPS
    Various nice Two-Handers
    Trinket - Stone of Good Luck or Battle Coin -> Good Luck +1 to Saves and Attack, Battle Coin for the minor healing
    Bracers - +6 Strength Bracers
    Necklace - +6 Constitution Necklace
    Gloves - +5 Dexterity Gloves -> to bring my Dex to a 20 for Reflex and over max my Max Dex bonus
    Boots - Kundarak Delving Boots -> gotta love that perma FoM
    Ring #1 - Greater False Life Ring
    Ring #2 - Various: Proof of Poison, Feather Falling, Reaver's Ring, Greater Elemental Resistances, etc.
    Belt - Heavy Fort Belt -> Looking to replace this with a Disease Immunity Belt of Heavy Fort to kill two birds with one stone
    Helm - Niteforge Helm -> Ideally it's +6 to Will Saves with the +5 Will Save and +2 Wisdom
    Cloak - Various: +4 Resistance Cloak for Saves, Greater Elemental Resistances so I can have up to 3 Greater Resistances on at a time, also I'm hoping to get the Zephyr Cloak for the Perma Blur effect

I also use the Planar Gird for GH, and also looking to grab a Ring of the Ancestors since I'm good aligned as well as Beholder Optics for those Elite high level bastards.

Just something to think about.

NOTE: This may seem contradictory to the previous note above about max burst AC and that's intentional. I like maximizing DPS because that's what I do, but I also like to list potential because it ****es people off in the forums. Also if you happen to boost up Intimidate, you can use the burst AC to your advantage if you ever have the urge to intimi-tank with a DPS barbarian. /shrugs

That's pretty much self-buffed using the strengths of the class to their advantage and decent enhancements. So as you can see, by adjusting the enhancements even more, your barbarian can do pretty well in PvP even against casters if you play right.

Community Member

Thank you for reposting your build. Hope the forums get fixed so that all the other builds that people have posted will come back.

This is a very nice build to play with too

Cannon

Where is the Halfling Build?
    Yes, of course! The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! 'Tis one of the sacred relics Brother Maynard carries with him. Brother Maynard! Bring up the Holy Hand Grenade!

Attention looking for a casual guild?
    Keepers of the Arcane
    Brther Maynard Maxed Cleric, Delric Moondragon Lvl 11 Halfling Barbarian
    Founder #655

Quote Originally Posted by kbmay44 View Post
    Where is the Halfling Build?

I was waiting for someone to say that.

This kinda looks like an old post, as some info isn't up to date (wrong info in red):

+6 Dragon Loot - or any loot, +6 str is fairly common now.

This build can increase the damage from Glancing Blows to over 10 per hit. (uhh pretty sure you should be doing over 20 per hit)

As a note, Barbarian Action Boost V which adds +10 damage for 20 seconds a pop, does increase the damage of your glancing blows, though I don't think it's quite as much as on a regular hit. - That enhancement was nerfed, and your build doesn't have it. Max is Dmg Boost IV now, at +5 dmg.

4) Play smart. Playing a Barbarian takes a little more finesse than playing another melee class. Our strength is not in defense, though we can become very adequate hybrids. Don't stand in the middle of a group of monsters and swing like a madman.
    Not truely wrong, I just dont agree with it. May of been true some months back, but now, barbarians are often the best tanks due to high hp and DR. Really should only be doing this in low lvl quests where the tank melee only gets hit 5%.

+13 Power Attack (Two-Handed) Your build as posted will get +14 dmg from power attack. WF one will get +18, and Dwarf +10

Trinket - Stone of Good Luck or Battle Coin -> Good Luck +1 to Saves and Attack, Battle Coin for the minor healing - Good luck is +1 to saves and skills, not attack. Battle coin is +1 to attack and the minor healing is generally useless as it is not useable while raged. Tho note the +1 to attack from battle coin does not stack with bard buffs.
    Overall I prefer either mumified bat for the spot and featherfall, bloodstone for the extra dmg, or jerky for the +30 hp.

- Above you list dragon belt.

Really not sure why you put a Dwarf or WF build up there. I wouldnt call them a version of your build because you really messed up there enhancements and much of the explanation of the build doesnt apply correctly to those races. Just seems like an afterthought thrown together.
    Human build is good really, but the WF one wont be able to hit the broadside of a barn and will fail will saves constantly, and the Dwarf one will have allot of HP, but no DR boost results in that being wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Really not sure why you put a Dwarf or WF build up there. I wouldnt call them a version of your build because you really messed up there enhancements and much of the explanation of the build doesnt apply correctly to those races. Just seems like an afterthought thrown together.
    Human build is good really, but the WF one wont be able to hit the broadside of a barn and will fail will saves constantly, and the Dwarf one will have allot of HP, but no DR boost results in that being wasted.
    I agree that the Dwarven and WF version should be discussed in seperate threads, but my WF barb is very close to Maldini's and even on elite I can hit very well. The four Power Attack enhancements doesn't kill your AB. The only problem on elite is confirming crits, but that's why I am farming for the Bloodstone

BTW, on my WF the damage is +45 and that is not max'ed out yet.
    Byrd of Prey WF Frenzied Barbarian Mithrill Defender WF Sorcerer Fiddler Human Warchanter
    Kubah Ironfist Dwarf Paladin/Fighter Alchemyst Prime WF Wizard/Rogue

Khyber... via Riedra

This kinda looks like an old post, as some info isn't up to date (wrong info in red):

+6 Dragon Loot - or any loot, +6 str is fairly common now.

There's nothing wrong with my statement. It's the +6 Strength Item that I chose to put down.

This build can increase the damage from Glancing Blows to over 10 per hit. (uhh pretty sure you should be doing over 20 per hit)
    Yes that was old, but then again it's still over 10.

As a note, Barbarian Action Boost V which adds +10 damage for 20 seconds a pop, does increase the damage of your glancing blows, though I don't think it's quite as much as on a regular hit. - That enhancement was nerfed, and your build doesn't have it. Max is Dmg Boost IV now, at +5 dmg.
    It's old as well, but again it was a note, so my build doesn't have to have it for it to be mentioned.

4) Play smart. Playing a Barbarian takes a little more finesse than playing another melee class. Our strength is not in defense, though we can become very adequate hybrids. Don't stand in the middle of a group of monsters and swing like a madman.
    Not truely wrong, I just dont agree with it. May of been true some months back, but now, barbarians are often the best tanks due to high hp and DR. Really should only be doing this in low lvl quests where the tank melee only gets hit 5%.
    Barbs aren't the "best" tanks. Sure you have high HP, but if someone's not healing you, you can get overwhelmed pretty easily if you're watching how much DPS you do. You're not truly self-sufficient like a Paladin or a Mutliclass or Bard, so you still have to use finesse.

+13 Power Attack (Two-Handed) Your build as posted will get +14 dmg from power attack. WF one will get +18, and Dwarf +10
    Yep

Trinket - Stone of Good Luck or Battle Coin -> Good Luck +1 to Saves and Attack, Battle Coin for the minor healing - Good luck is +1 to saves and skills, not attack. Battle coin is +1 to attack and the minor healing is generally useless as it is not useable while raged. Tho note the +1 to attack from battle coin does not stack with bard buffs.
    Overall I prefer either mumified bat for the spot and featherfall, bloodstone for the extra dmg, or jerky for the +30 hp.

If you don't have the bloodstone, then you could have anything for the trinket slot really. I use either the Stone of Good Luck or the Battle Coin, but now with the Head of Good Fortune, that's nice to have as well. You also don't always have a bard in the group, so the Battle Coin's Competence Bonus to hit is still very nice in most groups. For featherfall I use a ring, for Spot I use the Kundarak Delving Goggles. I also use a ring for the Greater False Life.

- Above you list dragon belt.
    There's many ways in which to get +6 items. One place I say a way to get 42 Strength, the other place I mention my current layout. There's nothing wrong as posted.

I put them there because people ask for Dwarf and WF versions, so therefore it's all condensed in one thread instead of searching around for other threads. There's also absolutely nothing wrong with the enhancements as listed. It's actually a nice min/maxxed setup for both WF and Dwarf.

There's also a huge note that says the discussion applies to human mainly, but you can put some of the thoughts and apply them to dwarf and warforged as well.

You don't always need DR boosts to survive. Getting an extra 10/- DR isn't necessarily the "win" button when you have over 400 hit points as it is. A lot of barbs don't have the DR boost and do fine.

The WF will do fine as well. You can still pull off over a 30 Attack Score fully buffed in a party. You're overexagerating.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maldini View Post
    1) This build is all about DPS. That is why I chose the feats that I did. I took the two-handed fighting feats because they're the gateway to Superior Two-Handed Fighting, which in my mind will do some decent damage with Glancing Blows.
    I'm not sure where you get this Superior Two-Handed Fighting idea from.

Feel free to correct me but I can't find any "Superior" feats listed in v3.5. Do you have a link to a post stating that they are creating this feat?
    Poad - Odor's

Quote Originally Posted by Maldini View Post
    You don't always need DR boosts to survive. Getting an extra 10/- DR isn't necessarily the "win" button when you have over 400 hit points as it is. A lot of barbs don't have the DR boost and do fine.
    Then why did you put it on your actual build? (im assuming you just have the human one created) By the same token, if you feel your attack bonus is high enough for -9 power attack with with the WF one why not have power attack III on a "pure" DPS build. You should infact have +2 attack over the WF version, or +4 considering enhancements.

Just seems two-headed to me to recommend an entirely different approach because of race. Im not saying any build there is completely bad, they are fine, just that the human one is by far the best by virtue of the enhancements, and that is the only one you actually play.

Other noteable flaw is that in order to overcome a penalty of -9 attack, you will need a maxxed character, one you play allot and have incredible gear for, so 1750 favor and a +2 str tome can be safely asssumed. Dwarf and WF versions with that lay at max str of 41 - having 4 action points wasted on power rage IV.

Re: Superior Two-Handed Fighting:
    http://ddo.enterwiki.net/page/Superi...anded_Fighting

Info for this was aquired from the beta version of the game, where the feat was listed - but unavailable due to prerequisits. It was also listed in the DDO.com compedium for a long time, but has been recently removed.

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Poad View Post

Feel free to correct me but I can't find any "Superior" feats listed in v3.5. Do you have a link to a post stating that they are creating this feat?
    Best information I could find: http://ddo.enterwiki.net/page/Superi...anded_Fighting
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Still no Halfling build? (stands tapping foot)
    Yes, of course! The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! 'Tis one of the sacred relics Brother Maynard carries with him. Brother Maynard! Bring up the Holy Hand Grenade!

Attention looking for a casual guild?
    Keepers of the Arcane
    Brther Maynard Maxed Cleric, Delric Moondragon Lvl 11 Halfling Barbarian
    Founder #655

Quote Originally Posted by Poad View Post

I'm not sure when you started playing, but way back when the Compendium first came out it listed all the Two Handed Fighting Feats that would be in the game.

Two Handed Fighting
    Improved Two Handed Fighting
    Greater Two Handed Fighting
    Superior Two Handed Fighting

I think superior was available at BAB 17 or something. Anyway, that's where I got the Superior Two Handed Fighting from.

Then why did you put it on your actual build? (im assuming you just have the human one created) By the same token, if you feel your attack bonus is high enough for -9 power attack with with the WF one why not have power attack III on a "pure" DPS build. You should infact have +2 attack over the WF version, or +4 considering enhancements.
    Because it's not point efficient. That's why I took Power Attack II in both Barb and WF. It's a min/max build.

Just seems two-headed to me to recommend an entirely different approach because of race. Im not saying any build there is completely bad, they are fine, just that the human one is by far the best by virtue of the enhancements, and that is the only one you actually play.
    It's not two-headed at all. Different races have different strengths and different enhancements. Therefore you play to those strengths. The Dwarven and WF will have longer rages so there's the possibility of cutting back on rage enhancements and boosting other things. They will also have more HP than the human. The WF will have a higher Damage Bonus than the Human and the Dwarf, and it also has the Immunities. They all have their good points. No one is truly better than the next. And the enhancements listed are reccomendations.

Other noteable flaw is that in order to overcome a penalty of -9 attack, you will need a maxxed character, one you play allot and have incredible gear for, so 1750 favor and a +2 str tome can be safely asssumed. Dwarf and WF versions with that lay at max str of 41 - having 4 action points wasted on power rage IV.
    Any resourceful person will not bite off more than they can chew. When someone can afford the extra penalty, that's when they'll take the Power Attack enhancements, not before. That's the beauty of being able to respec enhancements.

As far as the Dwarf and WF go, there's more than one way to skin a cat. You can take a +5 Strength Item or a +1 Tome, or a +3 Tome if you're really lucky to stay at an even modifier.

So in the end, there are no flaws in the listed builds. Where someone goes with them depends on that person and what resources they have. They could hit a 42 Strength or a 41 or a 40, etc.

I think mostly what Shade wants is for you to clean up the post. It's got tons of carryovers from old mods that are just unnecessary and would be confusing for anyone who couldn't come up with a similar build on their own.

However, it's almost a tribute to Maldinibuild's Age that this template is one that will survive through any mod. As long as Half-orcs don't get a racial enhancement to Strength, I don't see any future mod overshadowing this build significantly.
    ==Argonessen==
    "Bards are like people in the witness protection program; you have no idea what they are [or are not] capable of." - Credit to Blind Skwerl
    www.silverdragons-lair.net

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sheep View Post
    As long as Half-orcs don't get a racial enhancement to Strength, I don't see any future mod overshadowing this build significantly.
    I think most likely half-orcs will get the str enhancement. Even with that tho, Id consider them balanced and still worthwhile to pick human or dwarf (not a fan of WF).
    What could make them incredibly uber is allowing them to take barbarian enhancements as racial enhancements, as Dwarves do for fighter stuff... This could happen as there favored class is barbarian.

Over half orc vs Dwarf looks like minor increase in DPS for a large loss of other things. My guess for say module 6/7:
    lvl16 Half orc vs Dwarf
    +4 str (2 base +2 enhance) = +6 dmg, but Dwarf will probably get axe dmg III, so +3 overall
    -4 con (2 base, +2 enhance), so -24 seconds rage, -32 hp, orcs arent as tough.
    -2-5 saves(2 base, 3 enhance) no spell saves for orcs.
    -4 AC vs Giants
    -4 Balance

Overall dwarf looks better there in that case.. But give the half-orc the barbarian enhancements as racials (id say, xtend rage, xtra rage, will rage, hearty rage, but no power rage) and they will be powerful and probably the most popular build.

I'll leave you guys with this final thought on the rather tossed together dwarf enhancement list:

Barbarian Willpower II - this enhancement provides a +2 morale bonus to will saves (ontop of the +3 you get for greater rage for a total of +5). However, this does not stack with other morale modifiers such as greater heroism. As such the overall gain is +1 will save while raging for 3 AP. Or one could select spell defense II, for +1 to all spell saves always for 2 AP.

I will repost my Dwarf max dps build once module 5 is live with full details, including details on maximum dps since I actually have the character and all the related gear .

Barbarian Willpower II - this enhancement provides a +2 morale bonus to will saves (ontop of the +3 you get for greater rage for a total of +5). However, this does not stack with other morale modifiers such as greater heroism. As such the overall gain is +1 will save while raging for 3 AP. Or one could select spell defense II, for +1 to all spell saves always for 2 AP.

I will repost my Dwarf max dps build once module 5 is live with full details, including details on maximum dps since I actually have the character and all the related gear .

First off if they're not stacking then that's a bug. A bonus from an enhancement should always stack with a spell bonus.

Secondly, there's nothing spectacularly different about your build. And the gear you have on your dwarf is no different than the gear I have on my human. Use your brain a little and think through it. I have a maxxed out Barbarian and have had one for a long time. The only difference between the barbarians listed are some enhancement changes and stat distributions.

The builds listed are templates as it says in the thread title. All maximum DPS entails on any race is the right enhancements. The WF uses Power Attack enhancements, the Dwarf uses Axe Attack and Damage. All races get maxxed Strength. This isn't differential calculus Einstein. And the Dwarf doesn't always have a great advantage. The Axe enhancements obviously don't work on Falchions or Greatswords, and it doesn't work on the Sword of Shadows, so it's usefulness limits you to use only certain weapon types.

The Half-Orc gets a big Strength Bonus which means Attack Score and Damage that applies to ALL Weapons.

The argument about HP and Rage Timer is the same argument that you could use against a Human Build. The fact remains though that neither is superior. The extra HP and Rage timer are often overkill when any race is built properly.

Community Member

Default Wf...

Hey Maldini (and shade and other noted experts here) Number crunch this and let me know what you think.. It's the character I always play, He's pretty much a straight DPS Barb.

32 point build WF Barbarian

S-18 to 21 w/level raises then +1 tome and +6 bracers = 28 raged = 40
    D-8 plus 4 for gloves is 12 the max dex for adamantine +1 max dex mod
    C-20 plus 2 for favor tome, 4 for feats, 6 for ring= 32. raged= 40
    I-8 uh ...nothing = 8
    W-6 ditto
    CH-6 ditto

Feats:

Adamantine body:
    Cheap easy AC and early damage reduction, when DR and AC matters...low levels. I would respec this if I had the sos to impoved crit slashing, but I dont. Anyway it is a solid choice for you early because it gives you enough ac to be on par with the other melees and dr too. It won't matter in a couple levels and is trivial at high levels but hey if you wanted ac build a paladin, or a fighter or use a shield or something...but if you want to kill stuff in a big way, Yank out the great axe, rage up and take it in the face like a real toaster. Buy some potions and wands for the cleric / mage so they won't hate you TOO much.

Two handed fighting:
    Opens the door to all the other thf feats and takes advantage of your high str to add dam with glancing blows early without lowering your base attack to much when you don't really have any to spare.

Power attack:
    This is the bread and butter feat and the reason to be a thf guy because it doubles your dam bonus on all your attacks instead of 1.5. Sure you lose base attack...sure you miss more but hey why worry it will take alot less attacks to kill everything, and if it turns into a whiff fest then you can always turn it off.

Improved THF:
    The next feat adds additional damage to glancing blows and a greater likelyhood they will land...good stuff but really just a pre req for....

Greater THF:
    Adds Glancing blows to all the attacks in your chain, which means MAJOR damage boost overall and considerable aoe power...now you have to start managing aggro better...but hey it is SOOO worth it.

Enhancements:

I hate boosts in general so I try to avoid them, just a playstyle thing but in general I don't usually remember to hit them. Sometimes before a boss fight I suppose they would be nice but heck they are so short lived I tend to think they are more trouble than they are worth, others may differ.

Sprint boost 1, Hey it's cheap and useful, even in town!

Critical rage one and two, must haves to put REALLY big numbers up. You will learn to hate undead because it is so depressing to only hit them for straight damage, get a thundering of greater undead bane weapon to help with the depression, I use a quarterstaff cause they are easier to find and look cool.

Improved Damage reduction 1, I took this because it was cheap and a little more dr cant hurt. I think DR is a little underpowered in general, especially in the late game but it does help some.

Extend rage 2, These are good enhancements and I used to have all of them but I cut back to level 2 because the trade off of 30 seconds more rage time versus 2 more levels of power attack seemed better. ALSO having to wait for your rage to wear off to be able to hit your clickie of whatever is a pain, especially if that clickie is say greater heroism in the desert when you don't havge a fear immunity item or deathward in any of the shadow crypt series. Maybe this will be different when they allow you to dismiss your rage in mod 5.

Extra rage 3, Can't get enough rages.

Barbarian power attack 3, This enhancement line capitalizes on your strengths..namely ...uh strength and big two handed weapons so I took it as often as I could, like maldini says you can take it as your base attack allows...and your playstyle dictates, if you run with a group with good buffers you shouldn't have any problems hittiing anything but if you like to solo alot might wanna rethink how many levels of this you want. I wanted to really max out damage so I took it deep, you can always turn it off when you are fighting something REALLY hard to hit.

WF power attack 3, Same as above with the caveat that the stacking of these two enhancements is what really makes this build shine, In a wierd way it seems to work out. Tougher bad guys are harder to hit so when I roll low and miss sometimes it helps keep the aggro generatation down and when I roll high with my Crit rage (this is especially true with a seeker) I tend to get a critical and hit big so it sort of natuarally allows you to ping pong aggro with another tank keeping the tough mobs from ganging up too much on anyone. Trash mobs you'll hit more anyway and they die fast so no worries there.

Power rage 4, More strength? Yes please!

Barb willpower 1, Cheap...and will saves tend to be the most debilitating for us, reflexes tend to be just damage and you have HP's for that, Fort is a joke for a raging barbarian, so will is the most important save to improve....Greater command comes to mind.

Barbarian constitution 2, HP's are good for everyone but a high constitiution also allows your rages to last longer so a double bonus, I could have had more hp's I guess by taking hardy rage and toughness and this line to the max...but really, you can't smack anyone dead with your hit points now can you? Besides....with a full buff compliment including bard buffs I have seen my hit points as high as 514 on this character when you include all the temp hitpoints.

Warforged con 2, Two levels of this plus two from Barbarian constitution keeps you in even numbers.

Construct Thinking 1, Cheap bonus to will saves, I like it.

Healers friend 1, A must have if you want to maintain party harmony and not die as often. Level 1 is the best bang for your buck percentage wise...the other two levels are only 5% each and cost WAY more... I skipped them and bought stuff I thought would make me more effective. You will have clerics complaining no matter what...buy LOTS of potions and repair wands and always be gracious it seems to help me, plus tell them how many hit points you have so they don't freak out when the little red bar doesn't move too much.

SAVES:

Once again if you want astronomical saves play a pally or something but generally I find I do pretty well, especially if you can find a pretty good resist Item and a Spell resistance item.

My saves look like this:

F 25 raged 29, Not too shabby.

R 10 all the time but your trap sense helps alot with traps.

W 7 raged 15...This is the big one, I used the nightforged helm as soon as I could get it for it's 6 to will saves...after level 14 you get indominable will which adds another 4 when raging that helps alot. WF immunities also help mitigate many effects that would really make the relatively crappy saves debilitating.

SKILLS:

Dudes to be honest, nothing is gonna make you a "Versatank" I chucked all my points into jump balance and intimidate and ended up with the ability to Roar impressively enough to frighten small children while leaping over small buildings, before busting my a## on the landing. Anyway it doesn't matter much anyway cause you'll Hold as much agro as you want to get while killing stuff at a frantic pace and for a tank that is what is important.

HP's are fairly high, I ended up 382 walking around town and 438 while raged but unbuffed...with buffs you can get to 514 that I have seen.

EQUIPMENT:
    I am somewhere between a casual gamer and a powergamer I think, I only have 1 item of raid gear and I almost never use it so you don't need super great equipment to be effective, trusty +5 of whatever will do just fine but obiously the better your stuff the better you will be. Here is what I use and What I would use if I had one.

Head: Kinda rare, but I got one on the aution house..Helm of freewill, Sr 17 and fear immunity... I did use a Nightforge darkhelm, a good choice too is the dragon helm.

Neck: Jorgundals collar 10% melee speed boost. Doesn't seem to stack with haste so this is kinda pricey and rare for what it does but it is cool from a not having to feel like you MUST be hasted...wizards hate that when you ask all the time.

Trinket: Kardins Eye resist 5, also the bloodstone would be a good choice, I use the mumified bat most of the time here but switch out for battles.

Cloak: Protection 4, helps with my crappy armor class, but I sub it out for the appropriate greater resist cloak when it looks like that is gonna save me more hp's. Cloak of the Zephyr would be a Great choice here to mitigate damage.

Belt: Greater false life, This I will change out for the raid belt that is 6 str and mod fort or the other one that is 6 str greater false life when and if I ever get it.

Ring 1: Moderate Fort, brings my fortitude to 100% If I get that belt I'd put a greater false life here.

Ring 2: Con + 6

Gloves: Dex + 4, all you really need. I would switch this bramble casters if I ever get them to add another 1d8 to damge output when I get hit.

Boots: 30% striding, With your speed boost and a haste on you can Just FLY! The madstone boots would be the best choice I think because of the madstone rage stacking and the dex buff though.

Bracers: str + 6, I would replace these with the demon queen bracers if I could (and had the belt covering the strength enhancement). for the additional "effects on being hit factor" because if you are going to have a low ac and generate alot of hate you might as well make them pay for it when they swing on you.

Armor: I use a +5 fire/acid/lightning guard docent for the reasons stated above. None of the raid docents are very good, the dragon scale is good but crazy hard to get and keep repaired... The invaders docent is good for ac and has heavy fort but the 2 extra ac isn't going to make most mobs miss me much more often and decreases my net damage output anyway.

Goggles: I use regular old blindness ward gogles but i'm sure any of the raid stuff is better.

In general I really like this build and it's a blast to play, it is really simple to use and dosn't require real exotic equipment to be effective as it relies mostly on brute force. I range from 17 to 22 base damage on all my glancing blows and in the high 50's for base damage on the direct hits. Criticals are pretty frequent and are usually in the mid 160's for base damage.

I used to play in an all warforged guild and having repair specced Sorc (or Ryuuken...Kill something!) spamming stoneskin and reconstruct would enable you to become an unstoppable engine of destruction.

As a warforged your immuniities cut you some slack on equipment slotting and boost your damage output. I tend to use Greater banes alot recently and don't have alot of problems hitting anything, especially if buffed.

I think maybe the only thing I would change is the Adamantime body feat for improved critical slashing, but I don't have a SOS or a transmuting of maiming greataxe yet so I haven't really worried about it. Carnifex was my standard weapon of choice before I got alot of greater banes collected.

As far as AC I can get into the high thirties if I pull out a shield but almost never do unless shield blocking a door or something. In general my ac is about 24 unbuffed and double raged so I try to just make them pay for all the hits with the elemental guard docent...this would be an especially effective strategy if you actually had all the exotic loot like bramble casters, demon bracers and madstone boots in addition to the guard docent.

Like I said I'm not really an expert or anything but this has seemed to do the trick for me, what do you guys think?

Bry, Killer 13 on Fernia

Drop adamantine and pick up Improved Crit Slashing.

Your DPS will go up a lot. Wear Armored Bracers if you're concerned about AC.

Community Member

Max str is above 42 now... madstone boots

(also, there might be one of those "stacks with everything" potions from turning in collectables, I don't do collectables anymore)
    DDOVAULT.COM
    Freedom from Oppression!

Quote Originally Posted by Strakeln View Post
    Max str is above 42 now... madstone boots

(also, there might be one of those "stacks with everything" potions from turning in collectables, I don't do collectables anymore)

Yeah there is. Madstone is nice. I would only add +2 from Madstone even though you can get more because you can only reliably get 1 cast per rest shrine unless you had a couple pairs of the boots.

And I forgot what type of bonus the potions are. I think maybe insight or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast