Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Personally I'd say reroll as soon as possible...

DO IT NOW, before you regret it.

I'd suggest going with these starting stats.

Str 8
    Dex 10
    Con 15
    Int 18
    Wis 13
    Cha 10

Modified these stats will look like (+5 gear/Level increases/enhancents)

Str 8 +4 = 12
    Dex 10
    Con 15 +5 = 20
    Int 18 +6 +3 +3 = 30
    Wis 13 +5 = 18
    Cha 10

Lets recap

Str 8
    Dex 10
    Con 20
    Int 30
    Wis 18
    Cha 10

this will give you great saves (other than reflex) plenty of Hit Points.
    Personally, HP is greater than AC. Even if you can get an AC in the high 40's its still garbage when you're getting one shot when your hit.

I am, Rameses!
    Argonnessen's only Halfling Paragon.
    Ascent

Community Member

Default Which buffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Averroes View Post
    In the current end-game particularly, under 150-ish hitpoints is bad news... You'll have a tough time keeping yourself alive in the demon queen and reaver, and dying is more penal on a wizard than a fighter as you have more buffs to recast.

Each death at minimum costs you 100 spellpoints to rebuff.
    For reference, I finally got my wizard up to 150+ hp (thanks to a +3 Con tome), but I really didn't notice any problems before. I will note that my wizard is primarily buffing and CC, but I just didn't find the hp to be an issue very often.

Regarding buffs, what are you casting? I typically pop a Blur on myself (extended or not depending on how far it is to the next shrine), and maybe elemental resists if they will be important for that particular quest. I think that's about it most of the time. Maybe I'm missing something...

Community Member crimsonretribution's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Locathus View Post
    For reference, I finally got my wizard up to 150+ hp (thanks to a +3 Con tome), but I really didn't notice any problems before. I will note that my wizard is primarily buffing and CC, but I just didn't find the hp to be an issue very often.

Regarding buffs, what are you casting? I typically pop a Blur on myself (extended or not depending on how far it is to the next shrine), and maybe elemental resists if they will be important for that particular quest. I think that's about it most of the time. Maybe I'm missing something...
    I have 182 HP on my wizard, I notice that when I get aggro from multiple mobs, I end up with less than 50 HP about 50% of the time, so 150+ HP is almost a must for every caster.

on my caster I have 228 self-buffed hit points thats 200 standing + 14 GH + 14 Rage spell... I don't use false life spell as I see it was a waste of spell points.

I can't stress HIGH CON IS THE WAY TO GO on any caster... why? Concentration for starters is based off your CON score. Good reason, but lets add on Fort saves... 20 Fort is darn nice to have.

I am, Rameses!
    Argonnessen's only Halfling Paragon.
    Ascent

Quote Originally Posted by Relenthe View Post
    I made a drow wizard 2 weeks ago with starting stats 18 dex and 20 int and 8 con, thinking that i would make up for that con with thoughness and its enhancements, but ive soon figured out that wizards dont get an enhancement to the toughness feat, so when im lvl 14 the feat will have given me only 17hp.

Should i reroll this wizard or continue on with 8 con and the feat or exchange toughness for a better feat and try to survive with 8 con + items?

Honestly? It depends. If you have fun with it, no.
    If you want to do certain content easier - mainly end game or anything solo, yes.
    If you are worried about being super squishy (and make no mistake you WILL be), then reroll.

I play a Drow wizard. I started with:
    S 8
    D 16
    C 12
    I 20
    W 8
    C 10

I am very, very squishy and I have more hp than you do WITH Toughness. I would happily go 10 dex, 14 con AND take Toughness (last two would be WIS or something).

That is, if I felt like leveling up again, but I have fun - and honestly, with the right group on MOST content I rarely take any damage. Sometimes though, even with the best of groups, I wish had the 14 con and Toughness....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Averroes View Post
    I vote reroll too.

In the current end-game particularly, under 150-ish hitpoints is bad news... You'll have a tough time keeping yourself alive in the demon queen and reaver, and dying is more penal on a wizard than a fighter as you have more buffs to recast.

Each death at minimum costs you 100 spellpoints to rebuff.

And Aspenor is right; you'll always have better things to do with your equipment slots than wear +AC items, so the extra few dex AC mean that instead of getting hit on a 2 or better... You'll get hit on a 2 or better.
    I play an intimi-tank with only 170HP's .. It's a matter of play style, some of you just like to get hurt. To the OP, even if you turn out to be "screwed" (one of my casters started with 8 con, the other like 10/12 or I think, I forget) you will learn some valuable lessons about not getting hit/aggro management.

Con is dump stat.

Default reply

reroll, unless u want to be dead most of the time, or unable to use any spells that draw aggro.
    Sarlona server Jax Arcane
    Mitsu Rugi

Quote Originally Posted by Dkmafia View Post
    I play an intimi-tank with only 170HP's .. It's a matter of play style, some of you just like to get hurt. To the OP, even if you turn out to be "screwed" (one of my casters started with 8 con, the other like 10/12 or I think, I forget) you will learn some valuable lessons about not getting hit/aggro management.

Con is dump stat.
    For high-AC fighters, I totally agree... My intimitank has 6 base con, and my pally started with 8... Hitpoints on characters like that only affect how careless you can be, not how survivable you are.

But for arcanes, the opportunity cost of achieving a useful AC (40+) is just too high. You're giving up half of your equipment slots, valuable enhancement points, AND hitpoints and fort save (and fort is the one that'll kill you as a caster) to protect yourself from a damage type that should never, ever kill you regardless of the effort you put in to defending yourself from it.

Really, melee damage is the least of your worries. No arcane should ever die from melee damage after level 8 when heavy fort items become available. Failed reflex saves will cause you to take damage; ranged attacks on high difficulty settings will get through stoneskin; even successful reflex saves will hurt sometimes. You'll roll ones against disintegrate. But if you stand there and get beaten down by something... Well, that's what you get for standing there.

And to the person that asked about buffs... I rarely enter combat without greater hero, blur, jump, stoneskin, shield/nightshield, appropriate resists and/or protections, and haste. I often add rage, false life, and aid as well (clickies or potions of aid, of course), and displacement if I intend to have all the agro. Of course, I very rarely die, so it isn't a problem for me to be always buffed to the gills.

Although I did roll two ones against slay living while soloing wiz-king last night. I need to go farm tangleroot for deathward clickies. That was embarassing.

So anyway, that's it. The number one regret I hear from all those drow casters out there is that they wish they had more con... And every time I hear it I feel slightly better about my caster having been created long before drow were available.

Community Member Lucian_Navarro's Avatar

Default My 2 Cents

This will make your brain spin, but my Wizard goes into combat with a 51 AC @ 0% ASF.

If I had a little better gear and a little outside influance it could be 56 @ 0%ASF.

Granted with that said, even with a 51 AC the giants in Madstone Crater still bean me like I'm wearing robes.

But I preach two things in this game...

"Armor Class keeps you in the game and Hit Points keeps you in the fight!" - you really need both and as much as you can get without sacraficing.

ZEIRA
    "The Angry Blue Faerie"

Community Member

Compare the amount of time you expect to be playing under 10th level to the amount of time you expect to be playing at 14th level. At lower levels, things still miss you because of armor class quite frequently.

Some people think every minute spent not doing the highest level raid on elite is time wasted. I doubt you're that kind of player. You wouldn't be asking this question if you were. You'll probably be fine not rerolling. If you do intend to thwart the Reaver's plans for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for a month running, rerolling is probably better, though not necessary.

just have fun.

i just rolled a drow wizard with 8 con and i love life. I splashed in two levels of rogue so he has full rogue skills maxed and evasion which rules when you have a 28 dex and a sick reflex save.

I stay away from most big battles using a lot of cc and finishing kills so i don't get aggro. But I also have burst power so when i need to i can throw on maximize and empower and take something out quickly if its coming after me.

Bottom line is play it and if you dont like try it again the other way. Make up your own mind, that's what rules about this game.

ps. i do die some too but so does every character/class/race so whatever... it's just a game get res'd and go again.

rhy.
    Officer of THE ALLIANCE - Sarlona/Adar - http://www.theallianceddo.com
    Mains: Rhydera the Enchanter & Rhyther the Benevolent
    Lowbies: Rhyguy, Rhally, RhyDie, RhyRhy

I vote re-roll as well.

I made my first wizard(Ysharan) with a 16 dex, and I really regret it. I'm currently running up a warforged wizard for more soloability, and I'm making a drow sorcerer. Once either of those two hit level 14(or so) the original is getting deleted.
    Osharan, Esharan, Osharina, Usharina, etc... I'm the 'sharans. Epoxy. Notverysexy.
    I've taken the craft disturbing mental image feat... You have been warned!
    Share and Enjoy!

Community Member

I vote dont reroll.(day late dollar short I realize)

I made my elf wiz starting with an 18 int and dex. He is 32pt and I did have a couple tomes I was able to throw in there. Just didnt want to make another one dimensional character so decided he was going to be an Arcane archer type.

Is mostly for fun ill admit but made the leveling process easier and much more fun. I do have all the bows any ranger would want and use them regularily. I dont have to bother switching out sceptors much because I have the reaver cloak and Huri...somethins(SPVI) necklace. Just for damage spells really.

He has only 144hps(prebuff) with a 14 con but it will be 16 eventually. I almost never die. Aggro manage is all you need to do. Hit a 32 int and a 26 dex(+2 tomes for both) though I did need to use two enhancement points to get it(dex) there. Self buffed(clickies included) I can get to +35 or so with any bow I have.
    With a +6 item and another 4 APs I could hit 28 but likily wont bother as I dont think its needed or worth it.

With only 1348(i think ) sps I found this to be a great means of adding to the party w/o investing sp directly.

Note: I dont use bows for DD but for things like banishing, disrupt, cursing, a burst-of-punct(for after mass hold)and have a nice holy/destruction bow to help my melee friends hit with those lower plus attacks .

Note also: This is an enchanter/CC spec'd caster(still have fire/ice IV tho). If I wanted to be a big DD type I would go with a higher con but I would have also made a sorcy

Fearsome-stoneskin-displace oh my
    Last edited by llevenbaxx; 08-08-2007 at 10:34 AM.

High HP why?...Cause I like to take that reaver disintegrate in the face when I roll a 1 and live.

Low AC why?...This has more to do with forsight than present day game. Next level increase it is my prediction to see higher atk bonuses on enemies we face than even gianthold...so routine play (not elite raids) has just become that much more difficult....in addition: It is easier to close the gap to 50's AC than it is to improve on a 50's AC later in the end game. Gear, enhancements, feats, spells wont be able to close the gap in the same ratio that mobs get high to hits.

If I would reroll it would be an elf/human with max int and con. If your question to me was "what would you do in my situation" I would reroll.

V
    Last edited by Vienemen; 08-08-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    Vienemen 17 Human ArchWizard, 28 pt build approaching 3000 Flava
    Landerghast 17 Human Kensai Blender
    Wizards Handbook Vienemen's Vault

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vienemen View Post
    High HP why?...Cause I like to take that reaver disintegrate in the face when I roll a 1 and live.

Low AC why?...This has more to do with forsight than present day game. Next level increase it is my prediction to see high atk bonuses on enemies we face than even gianthold...so routine play (not elite raids) has just become that much more difficult....in addition: It is easier to close the gap to 50's AC than it is to improve on a 50's AC later in the end game. Gear, enhancements, feats, spells wont be able to close the gap in the same ratio that mobs get high to hits.

If I would reroll it would be an elf/human with max int and con. If your question to me was "what would you do in my situation" I would reroll.

V
    I agree with V. If you examine the progression of enemies as quest level increases, it becomes exceedingly obvious that for casters, HP > Saves > AC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12