Default Please change weapon enhancements, remove prefix/suffix

Currently the system in place only limits the value of weapons and armor.

Sloting enhancements into prefix and suffix limits combonations that would be useful, and limits the damage a weapon can do. Perhaps this is intentional.

Bound named items do not have this limitation, example; Retribution. Lawful, pure good, Holy. A random item can never have holy and law/chaos, or any elemental effect etc. because they are all prefixes. Yet this rule is bent for named items.

Really, perhaps it is time to scrap the prefix/suffix limit and just make everything an adder. Vorpal is +10 levels, Flame is +2 levels, Holy is +4 levels etc. Same type enhancements would be excluded, so you could not have 2 elemental adders, or true law and chaos etc.

A level 12 weapon should do level 12 damage, currently that is almost never the case, and many useful possibilities are not possible simply because two things that could go together are both prefixes or suffixes.

Also a True Neutral weapon effect could be added. 1d6 damage to one step removed (Neutral good, Chaotic Neutral etc), and 2d6 to something two steps removed (Lawful good or chaotic evil).

One argument against this change would be that weapons would become 'too powerful'. one possibility might be to separate damage adders, from special effects. So maybe you cant have a true law, flaming, pure good, holy, giant bane sword....but a Transmuting flaming pure good weapon....

Maybe limit the total damage dice to 4d6, and any other adders have to come from special effects or materials like Everbright or Banishing or something like that.

It is already hard enough to find a decent weapon randomly, a change like this would at least increase the odds of liking something you find.

Default Sure

I like this idea. Why not?
    Anything that doesn't kill us can still hurt really bad.

The Joker

I agree with this too.

I know that I was the one who chose to make a chaotic nuetral fighter. It's just very disheartening to find so many weapons with pure good, but nothing of pure nuetrality (if there could even be such a thing).

So at any given time there's axiomatic so and so of *pure good*.

not even axiomatic so and so of Flame.

Its really hard to get dual damage effects for anyone who's nuetral it seems.
    "My level of not-giving-a-damn is infinate"
    *FRICK - Level 14 Ftr * Bosco 14 Clr * Kassimar 9 sorc*

There is no True Neutral damage for weapons in D&D, so it's rather unlikely we'll see it in DDO.

As for the system of pre/suffix, that's directly from D&D and yes it IS to purposely limit how powerful items can be.

You may not THINK that level 12 required weapon is as powerful as it should be, but it is, even if it's only +1 with a high Backstab or something else you don't personally consider 'powerful' or 'useful'.

As for picking an alignment that doesn't offer much access to the various alignment damage effects...well...that's how it works. I've got a capped CG fighter and I knew before I created him exactly how that would limit him in items he could use, especially since he has 0 UMD skill. Best bet in DDO is to either make a LG or NG character, depending on class. Personally I prefer NG as it allows me to use Axiomatic/Anarchic/Holy weapons without any problems, and that gives the best choice for alignment damage effects. TN isn't such a hot choice, I have a character who's TN, but his UMD is high enough now(11th level) to make use of PG, TL and PC alignment effects, but prior to that he was limited to Axio/Anarch/Holy/Unholy(yes, I still have an Unholy Burst weapon from before they were removed from the tables). Downside is he's affected by Pure Evil, True Law, Pure Chaos and Pure Good weapons, which is really only something to worry about in PvP so far. There are mobs that use Unholy weapons and those should NOT have any affect on a Neutral character but currently do(FIX THAT!).

Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
    Currently the system in place only limits the value of weapons and armor.

Also a True Neutral weapon effect could be added. 1d6 damage to one step removed (Neutral good, Chaotic Neutral etc), and 2d6 to something two steps removed (Lawful good or chaotic evil).

well, from how i understand it, hold, or chaotic, or whatever always affects the opposite alignment. what's the opposite alignment fo true neutral?

I believe Graal (or maybe it was DG) actually said he was working on this at one point. In a dev chat maybe? Anyone feel like looking for it?
    Have a question about the Eberron Setting?
    Ask a Loremaster.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticTheurge View Post
    I believe Graal (or maybe it was DG) actually said he was working on this at one point. In a dev chat maybe? Anyone feel like looking for it?
    Id love to go searching, but for some reason i cant view posts that were created between april and yesterday
    R.I.P. Xoriat 8/2/07 ______________[]Ninja Posts:726.5 bunninja is watching
    Information from devs ______________Member of Cupcake's Muskateers!____
    /wearing a Jiffy Pop pan tinfoil hat made by shecky

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by MysticTheurge View Post
    Yeah, was Graal. The thread was about removing Prefix/Suffix so that we could have a +1 Disrupting [Weapon] of True Law, for example (it's not an awesome combo, just an example ). He also said it might be hard to implement because of the French and German version of the game where it might be harder to implement, but he seemed to agree

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Id love to go searching, but for some reason i cant view posts that were created between april and yesterday
    LOL
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

I think this is especially important for bows. If you get a cool bow, say +1 Holy Burst of Pure Good, the next thing to upgrade it is to throw +2 onto that, well, that doesn't really do anything considering the arrows we have avalable to us (+3 from house D). Rendering anything +2 and +3 bonus, pretty much worthless (unless its a greater bane). This would also knock rangers up a bit in DPS.

ok why not just name weapons and have effects being whatever they need to be.

(I know why but whatever screw ease of determinig effect)

example

Bob
    +3 Cold Iron,True Law, Pure Good, Thundering, Shocking Burst, and Holy

cause dang it that would be an uber weapon...

btw its only spelled Bob ... its pronounced "Slurgoth Destroyer of Worlds"

Aesop