Given Trotsky is no longer around, but certain items and rule changes continue to impact AC calculations and its importance, I would like to take up the mantle of the definitive thread he began. I have followed his general outline and process, added links and recent adjustments, and generally updated format. Any suggestions, etc., are welcome. Thanks for reading.
Most recent edit: 10/17/2007, updated for new Raid Loot and Beta Noir.
General Notes on AC
- Base AC = 10 for all characters.
- There are 9 types of AC bonuses: Armor, Shield, DEX, Natural, Deflection, Size, Sacred, Luck, Insight and Miscellaneous. DEX in theory is not a “type” of bonus, but I think it is easiestly included in this manner.
- DEX bonus is included in all AC calculations in DDO. It can be limited by armor type, materials, and debuffs.
- Unless the bonus is Dodge or Miscellaneous type, they do not stack. That is, the highest individual bonus in that type is used.
- Due to level cap, some bonuses such as +7 Bracers will be race-restricted.
Sources of Armor Bonus
- Item: Armor (+1-14, essentially Armor Base Bonus + Enchantment bonus, randomly generated)
- Item: Docent (+0-5, WF only, randomly generated – these stack with WF Body Feats below, but not other items such as armored bracers)
- Item: Armored Bracers (+1-7, randomly generated)
- Item: Blackwidow Bracers (+4, Waterworks end reward)
- Item: Jeeka's Spangle (+2)
- Item: White Dragonscale Robe (+6, White Dragon Scales)
- Item: Black Dragonscale Robe (+5, Black Dragon Scales)
- Item: Robe of Magi (+5, Black Mausoleum from Mentau Chest)
- Item: Ironweave Robe (+5, from Dragon Chest)
- Item: Cloth of the Faithful (+5, from Accursed Ascension, SF Side amulet upgrade)
- Item: Blue Dragonscale Robe (+4, Blue Dragon Scales)
- Item: Vulkoorim Dervish Robe (+4, from Sands of Menechtarun)
- Item: Dragoncrafted Robe (+4, Dragon Relics)
- Item: Giantcrafted Robe (+4, Giant Relics)
- Item: Beta Noir (+4, bracers from Cursed Crypt)
- Item: Shroud of the Abbot (+4, from Accursed Ascension raid chest)
- Item: Elfcrafted Robe (+3, Elf Relics)
- Item: Robe of Arcane Puisance (+3, from Tempest Spine)
- Item: Delera's Vestments (+2, from Delera's Tomb end reward)
- Item: Thanatos Weave Robe (+2, from South Threnal end reward)
- Spell: Mage Armor (+4)
- Feat: Warforged Composite Plating (+2, automatic for WF)
- Feat: Warforged Mithril Body (+5)
- Feat: Warforged Adamantine Body (+8)
NOTE: Many armors such as KDS or Tourney armor have different specs than is normal (higher DEX bonus, lower base, etc.). If using those, it is important to take that into account.
NOTE: WF may only have 1 body feat at any given time, Composite, Mithril or Adamantine.
Sources of Shield Bonus
- Item: Shields (+1-9, Randomly Generated)
- Spell: Shield (+4)
- Feat: Two Weapon Defense (+1, while dual-wielding)
Sources of DEX Bonus
NOTE: You need increments of 2 after achieving a base value of 10 DEX to get each incremental +1 bonus.
NOTE: DEX bonus cannot exceed Max Dex Bonus of associated armor type and any Armor Mastery enhancements taken. Tower Shields also impact your Max Dex Bonus if they are lower than that associated with your armor.
- Stat: DEX (-1-+8, +8 based on 20 base + 3 level ups + Tome +3)
- Item: “Dexterous” prefix (+1-+3, need increments of 2 after achieveing base of 10 DEX to get each incremental +1 bonus)
- Enhancement: Ranger DEX 1-3 (stacks with racial, but not other class, DEX enhancements)
- Enhancement: Rogue DEX 1-3 (stacks with racial, but not other class, DEX enhancements)
- Enhancement: Halfling DEX 1-2
- Enhancement: Elf DEX 1-2
- Enhancement: Drow DEX 1-2
- Spell: Cat’s Grace (+2 – doesn’t stack with any equipped Item)
Sources of Natural Armor Bonus
- Item: Pre-order Amulet (+1)
- Item: Shroud of the Abbot (+4, from Accursed Ascension raid chest)
- Item: Hammer of Life (+2, Dragon Chest)
- Item: Seal of Earth (+3, from DQ Chest)
- Item: Ring of Balance (+2, Invader Tokens)
- Spell: Madstone Rage (+4, only castable from Madstone Boots from Reaver Raid Chest)
- Spell: Barkskin (+3-5, Ranger base or potion)
- Spell: Tenser's Transformation (+4, Wizard/Sorcerer base or scroll)
- Enhancement: Bladesworn Transformation (+4, WF only, req. Cleric 6/Paladin 9)
Sources of Deflection Bonus
- Item: "of Protection" Item (+1-5, Randomly Generated)
- Item: “of Stability” (+2, True Neutral only)
- Item: "of Greater Stability" (+4, True Neutral only)
- Item: Sorrel (+4, Shield of Legend option for collectible turn-ins)
- Item: Iron Manacles (+4, Chaotic Align only (UMD DC20), from Delera's Tomb end reward)
- Item: Spectacular Optics (+3, from South Threnal end reward)
- Item: Kundarak Warding Bracers (+3, from Dragon Chest)
- Item: Ring of the Silver Concord (+2, from Dragon Chest)
- Item: Cloak of Shadows (+2, from Vampire Chest)
- Item: Dusty Rose Ioun Stone (+1)
- Item: Spiked Turban (+3, from Sands of Menechtarun)
- Item: Docent of Defense (+2, Invader Tokens)
- Item: Mysterious Ring (chance for +3, from Chamber of Raiyum)
- Item: White Dragonscale Collectibles (+4, White Dragon Scales)
- Item: Amulet of the Stormreaver (+4, from Reaver’s Chest)
- Item: Ancient Band (+3, from Madstone Crater)
- Item: Cloak of Invisibility (+2, from Tempest Spine)
- Item: Arlyn’s Staff (+1, from Gwylan’s Stand)
- Spell: Shield of Faith (+2-4)
- Spell: Protection from Evil (+2 versus evil)
- Spell: Protection from Chaos (+2 versus chaos)
Sources of Dodge Bonus (Dodge bonuses Stack)
- Item: Chaosgarde Bracers (+2, lawful Align only DC20, from Xorian Cipher)
- Item: Chattering Ring (+3, from Titan Chest)
- Spell: Haste (+1)
- Feat: Dodge (+1)
- Feat: Defensive Stance (+2, while activated)
- Feat: Combat Expertise (+5, while activated)
- Feat: Mobility (+4, only when Tumbling)
- Feat: Uncanny Dodge (+4 or +6, Barbarian/Rogue Only)
- Enhancement: Dwarven Giant Dodger (+1-3, Dwarf only, only Vs. Giants)
- Enhancement: Fighter's Mobility (+2-6, requires Mobility, only when Tumbling)
- Enhancement: Favoured Defense (+1-3, Ranger only, Vs. Favoured Enemies)
- Race: Giant Evasion (+4, Dwarf only, only Vs. Giants)
Source of Size Bonus
- Race: Halfling (+1)
Source of Luck Bonus
- Spell: Recitation (+2, Cleric base)
Sources of Insight Bonus
- Item: "Of Parrying" (+1, Randomly Generated)
- Item: Ethereal Bracers (+1 from "Parrying", Ghosts of Perdition)
Source of Misc Bonuses (Misc bonuses stack)
- Action: Active Block (+2, only while Blocking)
- Class: Paladin's Aura of Good (+1-4 versus evil)
- Enhancement: Action Boost (+2-5, Paladin/Fighter only)
- Enhancement: Hero's Companion (+1-3)
- Enhancement: Human Versatility - Armor Class (+2-5, Human only)
- You can only have one "stance" activated at a time, e.g. Defensive Fighting *or* Combat Expertise.
- Combat Expertise is also mutually exclusive with offensive toggles.
Original Thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=30186)
Max Potential AC in the Current Game by Maldini (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=30188)
The Definitive Static Rewards and Unique Chest Loot by Dragon.Star (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=121279)
The Definitive Guide to Clothing and Jewelry Properties by Sani Medicor (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=96919)
If I'm missing any, or if you can answer any of my requests, feel free to post and let me know, and I will update.