Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oregon, USA, and Locutius.Com
    Posts
    1,546

    Default What??? Why Censor That?

    This is more about forum development, but might also apply to the bio censoring part of game development...

    I was writing a post where I mentioned bird p o o p... When I went back to read it, it looked like this:

    "...airborn so as to **** on your enemy's head"

    1) Why on earth would you be censoring the most unoffensive word available for this fact of life?

    2) Turning the word p o o p into asterisks makes it look like I am swearing, and makes the passage more crude than before you messed with it. Sheesh! (Woops... is that going to turn into "*****!")
    Nyr Dyv Raiders - Sarlona
    Bloodbath, Barb 20 · Stonehaul, AC Build 20 · Sonnkral, Melee 20 · Sacrament, Cleric 17 · Sentient, Sorcerer 17 · Kimosabe, Archer 20 · Livid, Rogue 15 · Luthiena, Bard 20 · Luxoria, Paladin 8· Machinos, Wiz 8

  2. #2
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Moosehead Lake
    Posts
    23,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanJHawkins View Post
    This is more about forum development, but might also apply to the bio censoring part of game development...

    I was writing a post where I mentioned bird p o o p... When I went back to read it, it looked like this:

    "...airborn so as to **** on your enemy's head"

    1) Why on earth would you be censoring the most unoffensive word available for this fact of life?

    2) Turning the word p o o p into asterisks makes it look like I am swearing, and makes the passage more crude than before you messed with it. Sheesh! (Woops... is that going to turn into "*****!")
    I dont know doing that to someones head sounds pretty crude no matter what asterisks or no asterisks.

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  3. #3
    Founder PurdueDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    The *'s actually make it more vulgar when I fill in the blanks.

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oregon, USA, and Locutius.Com
    Posts
    1,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uska d'Orien View Post
    I dont know doing that to someones head sounds pretty crude no matter what asterisks or no asterisks.
    What I was trying to say is that the asterisks implied that I typed a word that begins with "s" rather than one that begins with "p"

  5. #5

    Default

    No matter how its spelled, its just as squishy

  6. #6
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Moosehead Lake
    Posts
    23,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanJHawkins View Post
    What I was trying to say is that the asterisks implied that I typed a word that begins with "s" rather than one that begins with "p"
    Dont matter both equaly crude to me but hey its your bio

    The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Did someone actually make a post complaining they couldn't post po op?

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,845

    Default

    Deficate would be the least offensive word, not the one you used.

  9. #9
    Founder Ziggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    17,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7-day Trial Monkey View Post
    Deficate would be the least offensive word, not the one you used.
    and look its not blocked.
    R.I.P. Xoriat 8/2/07 ______________[]Ninja Posts:726.5 bunninja is watching
    Information from devs ______________Member of Cupcake's Muskateers!____
    /wearing a Jiffy Pop pan tinfoil hat made by shecky

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7-day Trial Monkey View Post
    Deficate would be the least offensive word, not the one you used.
    I think "excrete" would fit better as you get some assonance with "enemy" and "head" creating a sense of lyrical whimsy.

    the desire of birds menaced by stomping feat
    pecking for crumbs on urban streets
    to escape gravity, leap from the ground well fed
    to be airborn, to excrete on your enemy's head

  11. #11
    Community Member Shecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    and look its not blocked.
    Nor is poo.

  12. #12

    Default

    LOL dont feel bad

    I was making a joke with my warforged and typed in "graham cracker". This is what came up:



    "graham @!!?!?" LOL censored graham cracker
    I want to see a Gelatinous Cube!

  13. #13
    Founder Ziggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    17,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lengar View Post
    LOL dont feel bad

    I was making a joke with my warforged and typed in "graham cracker". This is what came up:



    "graham @!!?!?" LOL censored graham cracker
    HAHAHAHAHAHA


    well it technically is a deragatory name for caucasian people.
    R.I.P. Xoriat 8/2/07 ______________[]Ninja Posts:726.5 bunninja is watching
    Information from devs ______________Member of Cupcake's Muskateers!____
    /wearing a Jiffy Pop pan tinfoil hat made by shecky

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    in the united states.
    clearly i haven't been insulted enough


    P.S. do you get extra credit for ninja'ing yourself?
    Last edited by Dariun; 07-27-2007 at 10:11 AM.

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    well it technically is a deragatory name for caucasian people.
    Where?

    I thought it was a term for a baked flat flour product.

  16. #16
    Founder Ziggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    17,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dariun View Post
    Where?

    I thought it was a term for a baked flat flour product.
    in the united states.
    R.I.P. Xoriat 8/2/07 ______________[]Ninja Posts:726.5 bunninja is watching
    Information from devs ______________Member of Cupcake's Muskateers!____
    /wearing a Jiffy Pop pan tinfoil hat made by shecky

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload