Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by MeNorel View Post
    If I loose one cure wand, or one arrow from the merge that after 3 attempts does not get rectified, I will be gone never to fatten Turbine's coffers agian no matter what kewl licence they get for new content.
    I believe this statement to be without merit, and made just for theatrics and drama.

While I understand your frustration at Turbine's Customer Support, you lose a lot of credit with this overblown statement.

You are saying that because of a level of ineptness, and or incompetance, you are willing to walk away from DDO.

But I guaranty if Turbine made an equally inept mistake, but in your favor, you wouldn't leave.

You have to take the good with the bad, you can't pick and choose.
    Shaamis is REBORN!

Stronger!Faster! DRUNKER THAN EVER!!!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtmouse3 View Post

You have to take the good with the bad, you can't pick and choose.
    Turbine isn't like dealing with a mother-in-law. You DO get to pick and choose my man. Running a business in America does demand a certain amount of flexibility on the part of the provider. It's just how things are.

Now move to a foreign country, and you may have a case. Things are much different abroad as far as being happy with whatever service you receive.

Default Change is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    Can't wait for the mergers to happen (as long as the hardware upgrades are enough of course).

I'm looking forward to meeting all the others on the new Khyber...
    I could not say it any better...

Well I could, but I am to lazy to try.
    Gillyad Ceril, Second in Command, Humble Servant of Jester's Court - Khyber Server Formerly Aundair
    Guild site moderator: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jesterscourtddoguild
    Characters: Gillyad Ceril - Mohrianna Ceril - Kopper Red

To get back on track a little, THE MERGER..

I have attempted to read every reply in this THREAD to try and get all the information and the answers to some of my questsions, and also to see if anyone else made any of the suggestions that I have.

So here goes...

Questions:
    1.) What does turbine plan to do with identical namming issues with the servers involved with merging with the other servers?
    2.) What does turbine plan to do with the issue of people having created lets say max ammount of toons on the servers merging with the other servers?
    3.) With the mergers, and the fact that the servers are going to be drastically reduced to a handful. Will performance on the servers get worse due to the influx of a ton of new people? Or will the performance on the servers get better due to the fact there is only a handful of servers now?
    4.) What is turbines stance on dealing with customers that are losing their server due to it merging to another? Afterall, some of those customers may have a very very picky preferance is to why they chose that particular server and is now going bye bye?

Suggestisons:
    1.) With the issues of possable identical namming happening with the servers merging.. I would think that maybe it would work the same as risa? That you would carry a tag attatched to your name saying what server you came from. Then maybe giving those people notices and possable free name changes, or carry the server tag as apart of their name??
    2.) I think I read somewhere that Turbine was planning to give us 14 toon slots or something to accomodate any toons that were created on a server thats merging to new server?? Well what if lets say I haven't created any toons on the server thats merging over to a server where I created a bunch? Is everyone going to get new toon slots? Or is it just going to accomodate the extra toons?? I for one don't think its fair that someone could theoretically have 14 toons from merging 7 into 7.. I think we all should be alloted the same ammount of extra slots that is needed to accomodate the merger?
    4.) To deal with upset customers that they may not like the server they are merging to and being they weren't given a choice to move there.. Maybe do something like what WoW does when they merge servers or make new ones. For a full week or so, Turbine can offfer free account transfers so the customer can move to a server they prefer since losing the server they have been acustom to?

I would like a DEV or someone that really knows whats going on with this to answer my questions.. I came up with possable scenario suggestions to answer my questions in assuming that maybe some of these issues haven't come up yet and been discussed or even posted to inform the rest of us?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrRotten View Post
    To get back on track a little, THE MERGER..

I have attempted to read every reply in this THREAD to try and get all the information and the answers to some of my questsions, and also to see if anyone else made any of the suggestions that I have.

So here goes...

Questions:
    1.) What does turbine plan to do with identical namming issues with the servers involved with merging with the other servers?
    2.) What does turbine plan to do with the issue of people having created lets say max ammount of toons on the servers merging with the other servers?
    3.) With the mergers, and the fact that the servers are going to be drastically reduced to a handful. Will performance on the servers get worse due to the influx of a ton of new people? Or will the performance on the servers get better due to the fact there is only a handful of servers now?
    4.) What is turbines stance on dealing with customers that are losing their server due to it merging to another? Afterall, some of those customers may have a very very picky preferance is to why they chose that particular server and is now going bye bye?

Suggestisons:
    1.) With the issues of possable identical namming happening with the servers merging.. I would think that maybe it would work the same as risa? That you would carry a tag attatched to your name saying what server you came from. Then maybe giving those people notices and possable free name changes, or carry the server tag as apart of their name??
    2.) I think I read somewhere that Turbine was planning to give us 14 toon slots or something to accomodate any toons that were created on a server thats merging to new server?? Well what if lets say I haven't created any toons on the server thats merging over to a server where I created a bunch? Is everyone going to get new toon slots? Or is it just going to accomodate the extra toons?? I for one don't think its fair that someone could theoretically have 14 toons from merging 7 into 7.. I think we all should be alloted the same ammount of extra slots that is needed to accomodate the merger?
    4.) To deal with upset customers that they may not like the server they are merging to and being they weren't given a choice to move there.. Maybe do something like what WoW does when they merge servers or make new ones. For a full week or so, Turbine can offfer free account transfers so the customer can move to a server they prefer since losing the server they have been acustom to?

I would like a DEV or someone that really knows whats going on with this to answer my questions.. I came up with possable scenario suggestions to answer my questions in assuming that maybe some of these issues haven't come up yet and been discussed or even posted to inform the rest of us?

Thanks
    Merge FAQs direct from the devs:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=114404

Most of your questions are answered there.

In short...

Duplicate names will be determined by oldest/most recently logged on keeping the name, with duplicates in the form (altname-Server) without parens. All renamed duplicates will get a token for a free namechange. Same goes for duplicate guild names.

The existing number of slots remain in force. If you have the maximum on all merging servers (21 total worst case, unless you used the old exploit) you will keep all alts, but will not be able to create any new ones until you delete down below the 7 normal limit. Think of it as a sports team having to cut the roster down to size early in the season before getting new players. A caveat to this is that in some cases 14 alts will need to be deleted before you can build a Monk this fall, unless you do so on another server.

Server performance is an unknown without knowing if a hardware reconfig is planned. For all we know Monday's downtime may be prep for a reconfig, but that is pure guesswork.

There is no real world difference between servers. Anyone hooked on the name of the server they play on needs to take a loooong break from the game.

Again, to get the answers straight from the Kobold's mouth, read:

Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

'oh waaaaaaaaah I don't want to merge.'

Seriously guys, why do some people have to take everything Turbine do & turn it into something to complain about!

'i don't like 1750 favour'
    'i don't like drow'
    'why don't I have a +10 vorpal toothpick'
    'i want an oompa loompa now daddy'

If Turbine announced they were going to spend a further 25 million on DDO, you'd complain that it's no 30 million.

How about you actually TRY THE MERGER before you complain about it!!!
    IF there is lag, and IF you lose PC's, then you might have something to whinge about.

But I for one am EXCITED about this, and welcome those of you from other servers to Khyber!
    LVL 20 Rogue: Valaris Swiftblade, Lvl 18 Bard: Popmuzik, Lvl 20 Wizard: CaptnObvious,
    Lvl 18 Fighter - Valooris, Lvl 18 Monk - Roundhouse
    lvl 16 Favoured Soul: Valarghis

For the record, I went to Risia to check the Mabar-Argonnessen test merge. My main server is Mabar.

I saw a few name changes that had to happen, one was one of my characters, and it really wasn't bad. The only thing is that there are no name change tokens as mentioned in the FAQ, just the new command available to change the name once:

/changename <newnamegoeshere>.

It was painless.

There seemed to be no glitches - for me. All my characters, their equipment, inventories, bank stuff, cash... all were fine, and believe me, I'm a packrat and have a lot of stuff.

Someone said their bane weapons lost all their banes, but that has been an issue on Risia for some time, and apparently is sporadic. My bane weapons were fine.

There were groups to be had.

I even made a new friend there, from Argonnessen, already.

My lag was minimal. I stayed on for about 2 hours total, and watched and waited as population increased. I didn't experience any problems. I did not go out questing or grouping, though, but overall I didn't experience any real issues.

I haven't heard of any quest issues, thus far.

If the live mergers go as this test merger has, I don't believe that we'll have any problems more than what we had prior as far as bugs. At least, that is my opinion at this time. Right now, all appears right in the world, and the only loss is of Mabar. I'll live.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by edgelett View Post
    If Turbine announced they were going to spend a further 25 million on DDO, you'd complain that it's no 30 million.
    We would complain that we were evidently paying too much

Talking Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by edgelett View Post
    'oh waaaaaaaaah I don't want to merge.'

Seriously guys, why do some people have to take everything Turbine do & turn it into something to complain about!

'i don't like 1750 favour'
    'i don't like drow'
    'why don't I have a +10 vorpal toothpick'
    'i want an oompa loompa now daddy'

How about you actually TRY THE MERGER before you complain about it!!!
    IF there is lag, and IF you lose PC's, then you might have something to whinge about.

But I for one am EXCITED about this, and welcome those of you from other servers to Khyber!
    Good point Edgelett . I for one am looking forward to the merger. I am just glad that turbine did some "housecleaning" during the downtime the other day it allowed me to get my original toon name back on Aundair, if it stays great, if not - I'll find something else.
    I believe in mind over matter. If I don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Sarlona! Yep, back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Merge FAQs direct from the devs:
    There is no real world difference between servers. Anyone hooked on the name of the server they play on needs to take a loooong break from the game.

Again, to get the answers straight from the Kobold's mouth, read:

Hey thanks, that link really helped and I appreciate it.

Yea, I for one don't personally care.. granted i'm on Sarlona and we're not changing. If I was told were were merging I wouldn't care that i'm losing my server. I guess the thing that concerns me is that on Sarlona things are very peaceful and polite for the most part. I go and read some of the posts about this merger, and you got alot of people taking this game way to seriously and getting very butt hurt cuz they have to change. It concerns me that the peacefulness and politeness is going to go down the tubes, and Sarlona is going to be filled with a **** load of ungrateful, whiney, rude little kids or something. I for one am welcoming the merger, and plan to help those that are merging with favor and welcome them all with open arms. Although i'm also concerned that somehow Turbine may mess things up a bit. It seems they got a good plan going tho and maybe things will go off without a hitch. These types of things tho hardly ever go off without some sort of issues. But anyways, thanks for the info.. Appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Netah View Post
    For the record, I went to Risia to check the Mabar-Argonnessen test merge. My main server is Mabar.

I saw a few name changes that had to happen, one was one of my characters, and it really wasn't bad. The only thing is that there are no name change tokens as mentioned in the FAQ, just the new command available to change the name once:

/changename <newnamegoeshere>.

It was painless.

There seemed to be no glitches - for me. All my characters, their equipment, inventories, bank stuff, cash... all were fine, and believe me, I'm a packrat and have a lot of stuff.

Someone said their bane weapons lost all their banes, but that has been an issue on Risia for some time, and apparently is sporadic. My bane weapons were fine.

There were groups to be had.

I even made a new friend there, from Argonnessen, already.

My lag was minimal. I stayed on for about 2 hours total, and watched and waited as population increased. I didn't experience any problems. I did not go out questing or grouping, though, but overall I didn't experience any real issues.

I haven't heard of any quest issues, thus far.

If the live mergers go as this test merger has, I don't believe that we'll have any problems more than what we had prior as far as bugs. At least, that is my opinion at this time. Right now, all appears right in the world, and the only loss is of Mabar. I'll live.
    Thats awesome, puts my mind at ease a little bit.. I'm on Sarlona and aren't the one having to move, but as I said in a diff post. The server is very mature and for the most part we are all very kind and polite to each other. So I just hope that everything goes well, theres no issues, so that it doesn't get filled with a ton of complaining and annoying, whiney people. After all, its just a merger, all their friends are going with them, now they can make many more friends. Its not a big whoop..

But yea, thanks for sharing your expierance with the merger. Definatly good to know that things are going smooth on the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by tekn0mage View Post
    Turbine isn't like dealing with a mother-in-law. You DO get to pick and choose my man. Running a business in America does demand a certain amount of flexibility on the part of the provider. It's just how things are.

Now move to a foreign country, and you may have a case. Things are much different abroad as far as being happy with whatever service you receive.
    Turbine is providing a service, for a fee.

They provide X services, for Y fee.

If you don't like the Y fee for the X services, then don't. America is all about freedom of a business to run it the way they want.

I don't see Turbine as a company that is out for anyone but Turbine, they are pouring resources and $$$ to make the game succeed, at whatever level they deem appropriate.

That last part is the kicker:

It forces us to make a decision whether we can accept the level of service they provide.

I base my decision off of how much I am paying, for the opportunity to have fun with my friends, in an environment that isn't the best, but I am willing to accept the current level of service they are providing.

That is what I meant when I said we have to take the good (time hanging with friends) with the bad (game issues)

In foreign countries, where democracy might be a filthy word, the service Turbine provides would be greatly appreciated, compared to what they normally receive, if that is what you are getting at.

"You have to take the good with the bad, you can't have your cake and eat it too"
    Shaamis is REBORN!

Stronger!Faster! DRUNKER THAN EVER!!!

Default No Surprise Xoriat

I'm not surprised at all. Should have shot the dead horse five months ago.

On Xoriat, I waited 30 minutes to either PUG or initiate a PUG (that was in January). In April, the wait .. oh .. new content!
    In June, the wait extended from 30 to 58 minutes.

Hmm.. merging servers.. Having a cash flow problem?
    Let's see WoW rates over 9million players. EVE has over a million in one continous server cluster environment..
    Merging servers? This isn't the answer!
    Maltese Wizard L12
    Feric Paladin L10

Community Member

I have always wanted an Oompa Loompa, is that coming out with this new patch!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by mtmouse3 View Post
    They provide X services, for Y fee.
    If you don't like the Y fee for the X services, then don't. America is all about freedom of a business to run it the way they want.
    I don't see Turbine as a company that is out for anyone but Turbine, they are pouring resources and $$$ to make the game succeed, at whatever level they deem appropriate.
    The coin always has two faces though. America (and in fact most of the western world) is also about the consumers freedom to choose. If the quality and level of service implied in X declines but Y remains the same, the consumer reserves the right to vote with their feet.

So while companies do have the freedom to run their business the way they want to, Turbine succeeds or fails on the strength of its product and the quality of service it provides (basically its reputation). Any decision that endangers the goodwill and reputation they've built up with the community (such as consciously reducing the quality of service) is a potentially company destroying decision. I'm sure no one is more aware of that than Turbine.

Unconsciously, or accidentally reducing the quality of service due to incompetence, negligence or bad practices is a different matter and a rant for another time.

Now, maybe I'm not understanding the thread correctly but the implication seems to that Turbine have consciously chosen to reduce the quality of service for DDO. This seems to have been the perception and experience of a lot of people on the forums but personally, my experience with Turbine has been (and continues to be) pretty good overall.

But who knows, my opinion might change after the server merge. I do reserve that right afterall.
    Last edited by transtemporal; 08-01-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firepigs View Post
    I have always wanted an Oompa Loompa, is that coming out with this new patch!?!?

ooooh! If Alli/Nef gets an oompa loompa, maybe he'll stop thinking of mini elves as pets

As for the merge, I just wish they'd given the merged servers completely new names.
    Carliee the fantabulous cleric plays with Extreme Explorers on Sarlona ... The funnest guild ever!

Community Member Beherit_Baphomar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tekn0mage View Post

LOL.
    Binding is Admitting Defeat ~ Yndrofian
    Plook~Squidgie~Eyern~Irnbru~Grotesque
    Of The O.S.D, Argonnessen
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    At least I'm not on G-Land.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345