Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reaver Raid=Not a good idea

I love the fact that the Reaver is hard and fun to kill, but there is one problem.

At the end if u die, you dont get your loot. Well, in the room with the cest, most casters are out of mana and there are about 40-50 elementals. What is the point of trying? The party gets wiped and u dont get your loot for all of your hardwork. It is a load of bull crawp.

I think the reaver would be much better if when you finish, ALL the elementals would disappear so that every1 can enjoy their loot instead of not even seeing it.

I lost out on a chance to get a +3 tome(some1 in party saw it) because of the ele's.

my two cents

/end rant
    I want to see a Gelatinous Cube!

Um, kill the elementals, then loot. Or bring a bard and fascinate them while you loot.
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
    Um, kill the elementals, then loot. Or bring a bard and fascinate them while you loot.
    How about you melee 30 air eles while they knock you down?

I love it. It's like the fire traps in VON 5 that kill your newest guild-mates. It's free hazing!
    ==Argonessen==
    "Bards are like people in the witness protection program; you have no idea what they are [or are not] capable of." - Credit to Blind Skwerl
    www.silverdragons-lair.net

Quote Originally Posted by Lengar View Post
    Part of the quest is controlling and killing the air ellies as they spawn. Crowd control is vital there, in order to keep them from darting around knocking people over. With a few good casters, it shouldn't be too difficult to keep them down to a handful at a time. Insta-death spells, such as PK, FoD, and Destruction are the key to killing them, but the best spell for controlling them is Otto's Sphere of Dancing. It also provides a nice tight grouping for casters to use Banishment on.(Is that the group one? I get that and Dismissal mixed up) If you are only trying to melee that many, then you aren't likely to accomplish much, although banishing weapons will make it slightly easier.
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Or maybe try getting your casters the charges so they have unlimited SP to nuke all the elementals before going to complete the puzzle?

There's a reason he gives those charges.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

my point is, he didnt give any charges(we tried), casters were all out of mana, and more air eles spawned AFTER the puzzle was done

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
    Part of the quest is controlling and killing the air ellies as they spawn. Crowd control is vital there, in order to keep them from darting around knocking people over. With a few good casters, it shouldn't be too difficult to keep them down to a handful at a time. Insta-death spells, such as PK, FoD, and Destruction are the key to killing them, but the best spell for controlling them is Otto's Sphere of Dancing. It also provides a nice tight grouping for casters to use Banishment on.(Is that the group one? I get that and Dismissal mixed up) If you are only trying to melee that many, then you aren't likely to accomplish much, although banishing weapons will make it slightly easier.
    It's banishment.

We ran a 0 cleric 12 man on Adar over the weekend and neglected to keep the horde of air elementals to a managable size. We didn't make that mistake the next run.
    Mr. Potatohead...MR. POTATOHEAD!!! Backdoors are NOT SECRETS!!!

If you're going to fortell DDOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!, do it right
    Member of Cupcake's Muskateers (/wiggle)

Do you know what time it is in Tokyo right now? It's the future.

Default Was with ya

Quote Originally Posted by DKerrigan View Post
    It's banishment.

We ran a 0 cleric 12 man on Adar over the weekend and neglected to keep the horde of air elementals to a managable size. We didn't make that mistake the next run.
    Second one went rather smooth, concentrated my Sor on Finger/PK on elementals and at the end there were only a manageable few.

Sorbet
    Now where did that Englishman go???
    "Somewhere some lucky bastard is having a heart attack"
    -Jack N.

my point is, he didnt give any charges(we tried), casters were all out of mana, and more air eles spawned AFTER the puzzle was done
    If so, then that is a bug, and you should have reported it. I haven't seen it happen myself. The charges can be hard to get without getting killed, although once you do it a few times, it gets a little easier.

I've run a couple of no-cleric raids on my bard. They can be exciting, but I always prefer to have a cleric so I only have to concentrate on 2-3 things at once. Adding another item to my list bumps my stress levels up too much. By the time we're done, I feel like I've been holding my breath for 15 minutes or so.

I don't think there's a choice but to chalk the first problem up to player error and the second to either a bug or (more likely) observer error. You have to intentially draw Ele agro sometimes when fighting the Reaver because they'll just stand un-agro'ed in the corner. Then when you res in the center, *BAM* instant agro.

Quote Originally Posted by FeFiFoFum View Post
    Second one went rather smooth, concentrated my Sor on Finger/PK on elementals and at the end there were only a manageable few.

Sorbet
    Yeah, Drewid focused less on CSW wanding everyone and was throwing banishing daggers with some success when they spawned.

It's much easier to work on the six or so that spawn when "the lightning strikes the glowing orb" than to wait until you've got a dozen or so...
    Mr. Potatohead...MR. POTATOHEAD!!! Backdoors are NOT SECRETS!!!

If you're going to fortell DDOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!, do it right
    Member of Cupcake's Muskateers (/wiggle)

Do you know what time it is in Tokyo right now? It's the future.

Quote Originally Posted by DKerrigan View Post
    Yeah, Drewid focused less on CSW wanding everyone and was throwing banishing daggers with some success when they spawned.

It's much easier to work on the six or so that spawn when "the lightning strikes the glowing orb" than to wait until you've got a dozen or so...
    Yup yup. I generally let others "tank" the Reaver, I'll run, nab a the elementals that spawned, help with my Banisher while the casters pick them off one by one.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

Funny ran it on elite with only 2 tank types, a bard, 4 clerics and 5 sorcerors and we didnt have any problem with elementals.
    Clerics of Fernia
    King of Stormreach
    (and if you disagree with me, then you can treat me like a Nintendo Cartridge )

Founder

I love the fact that the Reaver is hard and fun to kill, but there is one problem.

At the end if u die, you dont get your loot. Well, in the room with the cest, most casters are out of mana and there are about 40-50 elementals. What is the point of trying? The party gets wiped and u dont get your loot for all of your hardwork. It is a load of bull crawp.

I think the reaver would be much better if when you finish, ALL the elementals would disappear so that every1 can enjoy their loot instead of not even seeing it.

I lost out on a chance to get a +3 tome(some1 in party saw it) because of the ele's.

my two cents

/end rant
    First time my guild went in there and beat it we didn't kill all the elementals either. As a consequence, we couldn't loot any of the chests since we were in a similar situation (no SP). Live and learn. Change up your strategy, pay attention to the buffs the Stormreaver gives you, make a few more runs at it and you'll be doing it with ease every 3 days too.

um... as long as someone is alive you can pull the switch again and it spawns the dead back in the middle. lol

If you have eli's in the main room, the smart thing to do is leave 1 person in the puzzle room to res anyone who dies.

Casters + no spellpoints + Scrolls of Otto's Dancing Sphere/Hypno Pattern/Wall of Fire/ect = effective elemental control.

Why didn't your casters have scrolls, or at the very least wands? After all, clerics are expected to pack scrolls to do their job, no? A caster can be effective even when out of spellpoints - all it takes is forthought and planning.

- Elementasl NEVER respawn after the stormreaver is dead, much less after the puzzle is done. What does happen is elementals often get left behind as people rush to the puzzle - RULE 1: ALWAYS KILL THEM BEFORE YOU GO TO THE PUZZLE.
    Note - 1 or 2 may be stuck behind the barrier which opens when the puzzle is done (might be what your mistaken for spawning, and its max 1-3 not 30.) These can be killed before hand as well with magic, tho usualy not neccasary as they dont agro the ppl getting rezzed unless they move.

So that said, some strategy:
    A) Casters shouldnt run out of mana, they can all get unlimited mana for several minuits, with heavy fort and a tower shield its rather easy. They should pk/fod the elementals on the way to the puzzle.
    B) Should they fail to do so, a melee or archer should kill them.
    C) If they fail, next time bring a GOOD melee. Ive killed hundreds of those air elementals in melee, its not that hard. Or simply anyone with a banishing bow.

D) If all else fails you can just throw boddies at the elementals over and over and over tell you kill them by whatever means you have. Do this by having someone wait at the completion lever and re-pressing it each time you want everyone rezzed (yes this works after the quest is completed)

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Casters + no spellpoints + Scrolls of Otto's Dancing Sphere/Hypno Pattern/Wall of Fire/ect = effective elemental control.

Why didn't your casters have scrolls, or at the very least wands? After all, clerics are expected to pack scrolls to do their job, no? A caster can be effective even when out of spellpoints - all it takes is forthought and planning.
    Probably because they don't sell the scrolls anymore. Took them out when they took out other AoE spells.
    Person Æ, Sarlona

They sell Hypno Pattern. Go look again. Hypno Pattern is one of the best ways to stop the Air Elementals from roaming... they just don't last long. However, judicial use of them would and could have solved the OPs problem.

Scrolls drop all the time in chests - ask party members for them if they leave them behind & its one that is no longer vendored. Hell, they sell Enervation scrolls, too. Put up a Hypno Pattern, then Enervate em to death. It takes a while - but it can be done.

Funny, I did not stockpile gobs of scrolls before they were removed - and my caster seems to always have what is needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast