Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11

    Default Ideas-Team Leaders & Tavern Trainers

    This is my first post. I have been playing since last year. Some things I would like to see would be for people who lead teams and organize quests; (Hope they are not redundant)

    1) Team leader rating system. (If you lead a team in battle, your team should vote on your ability as a leader). This would motivate leaders to wait for newbies, control the team and and ensure team success. It would also thin the herd of poor leaders who do not care about teamwork! Leaders can also get incentives.

    2) No one should be allowed to enter a quest until the team leader does first! This avoids toons opening quests before everyone can gather and also curbs running ahead of the quest or entering at the wrong chapter.

    3) People could volunteer to create a (trainer toon or tour guide toon). They would be given a trainer label for all newbies to identify and help them navigate early on. They would be given an office at a tavern where they would wait for a newbie to contact them. This could help with retainability with new recruits.

    Rated Leaders and newbie trainers can help!

  2. #2
    Community Member The_Cataclysm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,739

    Default

    1. No.

    2. No.

  3. #3
    Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,518

    Default

    I also vote against 1 and 2. Point 3 can be done without extra logistics, using the grouping options and hanging around in newbie taverns.

  4. #4
    Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17,766

    Default

    The reality is, except in the case of RAIDs, the team leader is no one special. In fact they often don't even lead in the quest. They are just the one that started the group.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cataclysm View Post
    1. No.

    2. No.

    Great responses! Well thought out and good advice! I especially enjoyed the detail. How did Jack-in-the-Box let you off to write this?

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    I also vote against 1 and 2. Point 3 can be done without extra logistics, using the grouping options and hanging around in newbie taverns.
    I wasn't asking for your vote. It was a mere suggestion. Its people like you that are reason why membership are low.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    The reality is, except in the case of RAIDs, the team leader is no one special. In fact they often don't even lead in the quest. They are just the one that started the group.
    This is utterly incorrect. A team leader initiates the quest and is looked at as a leader in battle and other issues. Maybe when you lead it doesn't mean anything but when I lead it does.

  8. #8
    Community Member AEschyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Adar
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    um.. no

    please tell me what you're trying to accomplish here...
    Aesch - Ranger 13|Paladin 3 ~ Aeschill - Sorceror 16
    You Cant Shake The Devil's Hand and Say You're Only Kidding.

  9. #9
    Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FattyArbuckle View Post
    This is utterly incorrect. A team leader initiates the quest and is looked at as a leader in battle and other issues. Maybe when you lead it doesn't mean anything but when I lead it does.
    LMAO...um ok... I'm glad you are so full of yourself.

    I can imagine what people are saying behind your back.

    If you have the star (and no that doesn't make you leader) and I disagree with what you are doing, i ignore you. Period. And I guarenteee that if I or others speak up and clearly know the quest better or have better ideas the party will follow the true leader and not the one with the star.

    I guess if you think the star is so special and you get DC'd for a second you figure that means someone else is now the unquestionable god of the quest for the remainder of the quest right? I mean they have the star now...

  10. #10
    Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FattyArbuckle View Post
    I wasn't asking for your vote. It was a mere suggestion. Its people like you that are reason why membership are low.
    Pot meet kettle

  11. #11
    Community Member AEschyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Adar
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    Pot meet kettle
    except this kettle has one, white, glove...

    uh oh
    Aesch - Ranger 13|Paladin 3 ~ Aeschill - Sorceror 16
    You Cant Shake The Devil's Hand and Say You're Only Kidding.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FattyArbuckle View Post
    I wasn't asking for your vote. It was a mere suggestion. Its people like you that are reason why membership are low.
    Gee, and here I am thinking its Turbine's ADD development strategy:

    "... and for level 16, I envision DDO having at least twenty or thirt-"

    "Hey guys, we just got the Lord of the Ring license!"

    "Last one off the DDO floor, don't forget to turn out the lights!"

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AEschyl View Post
    um.. no

    please tell me what you're trying to accomplish here...
    I am making a suggestion to the development team that they can retain memberships by having trainers walk newbies through level 1. The way to do this is have a designated trainer at each tavern at various times. Too often, a newbie quits never to return because of a lack of training and help from fellow players.

    Leaders of groups have alot of responsibility to organize and gather party members. Sending multiple /tells to get the right mix and controlling the masses. They should be rated so that the good leaders can be rewarded for their efforts. Players know a good leader and flock to that person when they post quests. Helping people find the right quest giver etc...

    I guess this development forum is being run by a handful of "know-it-alls" who wont even dignify posts with complete sentences. Ideas and suggestions (no matter how absurd) should be welcomed and not discouraged by forum control freaks. The last time I checked, this development forum is open to all ideas and your behavior discourages particpants willing to post new ideas.

  14. #14
    Community Member AEschyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Adar
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FattyArbuckle View Post
    I am making a suggestion to the development team that they can retain memberships by having trainers walk newbies through level 1. The way to do this is have a designated trainer at each tavern at various times. Too often, a newbie quits never to return because of a lack of training and help from fellow players.

    Leaders of groups have alot of responsibility to organize and gather party members. Sending multiple /tells to get the right mix and controlling the masses. They should be rated so that the good leaders can be rewarded for their efforts. Players know a good leader and flock to that person when they post quests. Helping people find the right quest giver etc...

    I guess this development forum is being run by a handful of "know-it-alls" who wont even dignify posts with complete sentences. Ideas and suggestions (no matter how absurd) should be welcomed and not discouraged by forum control freaks. The last time I checked, this development forum is open to all ideas and your behavior discourages particpants willing to post new ideas.
    while your intentions are most definitely correct and your mentality seems to be sound... i hardly think it's very "dignified" of you to assume, just because someone 100% completely disagrees with your idea, that they lack the ability to form complete sentences and the like.

    turbine's answer to your idea here is called "solo quests"

    if someone gets frustrated cuz they cant find a good quest-leader... they have 2 good options...

    1) drop group and find another
    2) deal with it

    if they cant do 1 of those 2 things... they aren't cut out to play mmo's in general

    and i hardly think as many people "try the game and leave the game" simply cuz they can't get an "amazing" group leader as you lead on here - i guess we'd need to see some number to back up either assertion (oops, was that word too big for me?).

    seriously though, step off of your self-proclaimed pedastal and realize.. if the first 3 people that respond to your thread all say the same basic thing ("no") then they're probably right, and they dont feel like spelling out why you're wrong (well, maybe not wrong... simply misguided).

    (was that a suitable answer? sir?)
    Aesch - Ranger 13|Paladin 3 ~ Aeschill - Sorceror 16
    You Cant Shake The Devil's Hand and Say You're Only Kidding.

  15. #15

    Default Don't really think it'd work out that well

    1) The problem with this is that you already have a number of people that won't ever start a group, just because they don't feel like getting the party together. They may know the quest like the back of their hand (or better) and it becomes immediately evident once they get in the quest and start directing everything, but because they don't want to have to worry about gettign 4 or 5 other people together, abhor the star. You've also got people that start a group and invite a "guide" character that does know the quest. The leader doesn't necessarily have to lead the group through a quest.

    And if you're going to have party leader ratings, you might as well have member ratings as well. "This person doesn't stay with the group, even when asked/told", "Always off on their own killing things", "Preoccupied with nothing but the kill count", blah, blah, blah. Then you get people with low ratings that nobody ever wants to group with, meaning that they'll never get the chance to improve. Not to mention the new players that get hammered because they haven't perfected every nuance of the game yet.

    Bottom line, if you want to rate someone, use your friend's list.

    2) Not really that bad, but I really don't see any point. Just because everyone can't enter the quest until the leader does doesn't prevent people from running off on their own. In the cases where the leader isn't really leading the group, it also means that people can still go in without the actual leader-sans-star gets there.

    3) This can be done just as easily by the LFM or the LFG messages. If you're interested in helping new players, just put that in your message, and see what happens.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AEschyl View Post
    while your intentions are most definitely correct and your mentality seems to be sound... i hardly think it's very "dignified" of you to assume, just because someone 100% completely disagrees with your idea, that they lack the ability to form complete sentences and the like.

    turbine's answer to your idea here is called "solo quests"

    if someone gets frustrated cuz they cant find a good quest-leader... they have 2 good options...

    1) drop group and find another
    2) deal with it

    if they cant do 1 of those 2 things... they aren't cut out to play mmo's in general

    and i hardly think as many people "try the game and leave the game" simply cuz they can't get an "amazing" group leader as you lead on here - i guess we'd need to see some number to back up either assertion (oops, was that word too big for me?).

    seriously though, step off of your self-proclaimed pedastal and realize.. if the first 3 people that respond to your thread all say the same basic thing ("no") then they're probably right, and they dont feel like spelling out why you're wrong (well, maybe not wrong... simply misguided).

    (was that a suitable answer? sir?)

    NO!

  17. #17
    Community Member Swordalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In a chocolate-coated enigma
    Posts
    321

    Default

    A) Do not tell anyone they are the reason membership is low. Period. You know it's not true; the reasons are varied and numerous; saying so is pure jackassery.
    B) Team leader rating system? What? How would that help? All those idiot leaders would have to do is group with friends or guildies who'd rate them highly. And who really cares what others think of a leader, it's how I feel about them that matters. Being party leader and being "team leader" have nothing to do with one and other. And, matter of fact, a majority of parties I've been in had no one leader. We were more a sovereign collection of independents working together toward a common goal.
    C) There're plenty of help-tips, resources, and generally helpful people. I don't know about you, but sitting around waiting for a newbie to ask me for help is not a proactive way to enjoy this game. If you wanna help the newbs, repeatedly create new characters and run the Goodblades' series on normal through elite. I guarantee they won't be level one any more.

  18. #18
    Community Member AEschyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Adar
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FattyArbuckle View Post
    NO!
    your capacity to "move on" is astounding good sir.
    Aesch - Ranger 13|Paladin 3 ~ Aeschill - Sorceror 16
    You Cant Shake The Devil's Hand and Say You're Only Kidding.

  19. #19
    Community Member Swordalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In a chocolate-coated enigma
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FattyArbuckle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm
    1) No.
    2) No.
    Great responses! Well thought out and good advice! I especially enjoyed the detail. How did Jack-in-the-Box let you off to write this?
    Quote Originally Posted by FattyArbuckle View Post
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One
    Pot, meet kettle.
    Yar.

  20. #20
    Founder Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    5,337

    Default

    1. No. Pointless.
    2. No. Only keeps regular members in line, but the person with the star is just as likely to screw up.
    3. I'm not sitting around in case someone needs help. If you have a question, look it up on the boards, ask another player, it doesn't matter how you do it, but be pro-active about it. I've had strangers send me tells with questions before, and I always answer them nicely. I've encouraged others to do the same on these boards. Others already do what you say, and I've seen in in the LFM many times. It may not be as prevalent on other servers though, so I can't speak for them.

    Okay, I considered answering with only one word, but I tend to be wordy, so I just couldn't do it.
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload