Default A New Type of Quest - The Arena

Let me start by saying, I absolutely love the quests in DDO. They are a blast to play (especially the first time). But there are just so FEW of them. I mean, how long did it take you to run all of the quests in Gianthold? For a casual player, maybe a week or two. For the hardcore, they were probably all done on elite in a matter of two days.

So, here's my attempt to partially solve what I see as DDO's biggest problem: Lack of content. Now, they have done some things to help us out already-

PVP - This is probably a good way to kill time for certain people. If we had true 6 man team matchups where 2 parties could form up and face off, that would be pretty darn fun. As it stands, the brawling is not attractive to most players, though.

Wilderness Areas - There is definitely some fun to be had, but once explored fully, it's just a matter of letting it reset to try to get a named or just kill more of the mobs. The XP does make it somewhat rewarding.

What I would propose (and maybe this has been thought of already - if so, sorry) is a new type of quest that is basically an Arena where you fight small to medium groups of enemies in progressively harder waves. Now the key thing to keep this interesting is that the spawned monsters be completely random.

It would be similar to VON 1 only the announcer wouldn't even tell you what was about to run out of the gate at you. Then after every 5 groups you defeat or whatever, you get a chest/XP. But you can continue on to higher CR enemies - better loot, better XP. Just basically a huge hack and slash fest with insane difficulty. Then at the end it could be a random boss-mob.

What do you guys think? I think it would be a blast... (and relatively simple to create)

Lufeng - 15/2 Paladin/Fighter, Dryo - 17 Sorcerer, Rami - 17 Cleric, Purgatorius - 13/2/1 Rogue/Ranger/Fighter, Barbee - 11 Fighter
    Legends of Aerenal on Sarlona

Yeah this could be fun.

In fact they could do a whole story line about due to the constant attacks on the city and on the intrests of the Coin Lords, the Coin Lords have decided to create an arena to better train the champions of the city.

You could even have it start out at like cr1 mobs and say every other encounter it ramps up in difficulty by 1.

Every 5 encounters some xp and or loot are granted to the group in the arena.

Also make it so people can "watch" what is happening in the "Arena".
    Clerics of Fernia
    King of Stormreach
    (and if you disagree with me, then you can treat me like a Nintendo Cartridge )

Not sure, will get back to you on that...

I would love a sit-and-defend map... as long as there is a rest shrine you can reuse every 5 rounds as well.

And as long as there is a wave where several hundred kobolds attack you at once (mind you, these are all CR .25 kobolds )

Would be fun and challenging.
    Guild of X, Thelanis server (RIP Xoriat).

Well dang, if I hadn't used my whole round eating this Twinkie, I could've walked around the corner and seen what all that screaming was about... oh well *munch*

Community Member Symar-FangofLloth's Avatar

You ever try the Arena in Threnal? I haven't (and most people don't cause of no favor/it's not on the list), but I hear it's along these lines. 3 or 4 waves or something, though.
    Former Xoriat-er. Embrace the Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Symar-FangofLloth View Post
    You ever try the Arena in Threnal? I haven't (and most people don't cause of no favor/it's not on the list), but I hear it's along these lines. 3 or 4 waves or something, though.
    Yes. Threnal Arena is similar to this. You need an item from the Threnal series to start it, though.

Yeah, I've done the Threnal arena once, I think. I remember it being underwhelming. Does it give XP? Loot?

Again, the key thing about my idea here is that the mobs are randomly spawned. Just like anything, it would get boring to fight the same baddies over and over again in a predictable order. What would be really cool, too, would be to fight unusual combinations of monsters. Like, one gate has 3 ice flensers and another has 3 mummies and another has a beholder - all at the same time, of course. The rewards have to be there, though, to make it worth the trouble.

Oh, and as far as several hundred of ANYTHING...bad idea, unless you enjoy crippling lag.

Lufeng - 15/2 Paladin/Fighter, Dryo - 17 Sorcerer, Rami - 17 Cleric, Purgatorius - 13/2/1 Rogue/Ranger/Fighter, Barbee - 11 Fighter
    Legends of Aerenal on Sarlona