Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 225
  1. #41
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Faerun
    Posts
    807

    Default heh

    You'ld be better off putting some 1's in your choices.

    The odds of rolling below 5 in this game is better than rolling 20. We all know this!
    _________________________
    Give us better (any) testing tools on Risia and help stop the reign of obvious, and silly, bugs!

    Quote Originally Posted by EP_Harlow
    "At times, death alone bears the memo regarding a change in strategy." -EP Harlow

  2. #42
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    They put time and resources into THIS ?

    for shame.

  3. #43
    Community Member DKerrigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In front of a computer.
    Posts
    2,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tekn0mage View Post
    They put time and resources into THIS ?

    for shame.
    What, created two items and told people to PM someone on the forums? Oh, and type up a post? You're right...ALLLL those resources wasted...FOR SHAME TURBINE!
    Mr. Potatohead...MR. POTATOHEAD!!! Backdoors are NOT SECRETS!!!

    If you're going to fortell DDOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!, do it right
    Member of Cupcake's Muskateers (/wiggle)

    Do you know what time it is in Tokyo right now? It's the future.

  4. #44
    Founder Fahkrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    234

    Default Should be fun

    Quote Originally Posted by tekn0mage View Post
    They put time and resources into THIS ?

    for shame.
    It should be fun. I'm sure I won't win though, judging by my chest pulls. Note that we don't have to online to win (a big plus; I hate the randomness of having to be online, in the right spot, at the right time).

    Nice.

  5. #45
    Community Member Dredus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    110

    Default Which One

    Lol, do you send a PM to...


    +Sir Lawrence

    ==or==

    Sir Lawrence


    It seems kind of confusing to me...
    Last edited by Dredus; 06-25-2007 at 08:44 PM.

  6. #46
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DKerrigan View Post
    What, created two items and told people to PM someone on the forums? Oh, and type up a post? You're right...ALLLL those resources wasted...FOR SHAME TURBINE!
    Yes... devoting any time to anything other than getting this game out of the Intensive Care Unit is a waste, in my opinion.

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tekn0mage View Post
    Yes... devoting any time to anything other than getting this game out of the Intensive Care Unit is a waste, in my opinion.
    Yep, going to have to go with Tekn0 on this one. odds of a winner = 1/160,000. I'd bet the under on number of valid entries = >1000.

    Would a 1/10 chance of winning 1,000,000 gp be game breaking, NO. Would a lot of people win and be happy, YES.

  8. #48
    Founder Rouge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lawrence View Post
    Yes, guessing the same number (such as 1) more than once in your guess is valid. So, yes, you could guess 1, 1, 1, 1. SO you have to ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya? (okay, maybe two questions.)
    Will you be rolling the PC's saving throw and to hit dice or the NPC/monster to hit dice?

    If he's rolling our saving throw dice then your winning numbers will be..... 2, 2, 1, 3.......
    If he's rolling the NPC's to hit dice then your winning numbers will be..... 19, 20, 20, 17......
    If he rolls the Rogue Open Locks/Disable Device dice........ none of the numbers will be double digits

  9. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rouge View Post
    If he rolls the Rogue Open Locks/Disable Device dice........ none of the numbers will be double digits
    What? I thought a OL/DD roll was a D8

  10. #50
    Community Member knghtstalkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    218

    Default My question to Sir Lawrence:

    are you using real d20's or using a Turbine created random numerator generator... that will affect my choice of numbers!
    knghtstalkr
    <Many Heroes on Ghallanda ><4 Heroes on Argo><Plus more!>
    NOW PLAYING --- Zymph the Flamedancer 10th Wizzie/2nd Trapsmith
    Shoot straight and stay safe!

  11. #51
    Founder Krell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Holtberg, Dereth
    Posts
    1,427

    Default

    I pulled out my official DDO purple 20 sided dice that was passed out at PAX to roll up my 4 numbers .
    Ghallanda: Save the newbie, save the world.

  12. #52
    Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Coldin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    30 Feet from my Soul Stone
    Posts
    5,399

    Default

    Well, if I recall correctly, Sir Lawrence only rolls Natural 20s, so I think I know what my choices will be...
    Last edited by Coldin; 06-26-2007 at 12:14 AM.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

    Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

  13. #53
    Community Member UtherSRG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montclair, NJ (Ghallanda)
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Odds that your first number matches one of the four of Sir's numbers (4/20)
    and your 2nd number matches one of the three remaining (3/20) and 3rd number (2/20) and 4th number (1/20) = 4*3*2/20*20*20*20 = 24/160000 = 3/40000 = 0.000075 (A)

    Odds that you will get at least three out of four = total chance of winning = 3/2000= 0.0015 (B)

    Odds that you will get 3 but not 4 = B - A = 0.001425

    Odds that you won't win = 1 - 3/2000 = 0.9985

  14. #54
    Community Member Jefro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada Eh!
    Posts
    768

    Default

    We have to put something in the message for the PM to send, I just duplicate my title[subject line] post
    I love you Abbot♥

  15. #55
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rouge View Post
    Will you be rolling the PC's saving throw and to hit dice or the NPC/monster to hit dice?

    If he's rolling our saving throw dice then your winning numbers will be..... 2, 2, 1, 3.......
    If he's rolling the NPC's to hit dice then your winning numbers will be..... 19, 20, 20, 17......
    If he rolls the Rogue Open Locks/Disable Device dice........ none of the numbers will be double digits
    What, your OL/DD dice not rolling correctly? I routinely roll 10+, even some 20's on those things. :P Of course when your DD is in the low 40's, and OL is in the high 30's you don't need much help. :P

  16. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fahkrin View Post
    It should be fun. I'm sure I won't win though, judging by my chest pulls. Note that we don't have to online to win (a big plus; I hate the randomness of having to be online, in the right spot, at the right time).

    Nice.
    Agreed. I like that I don't have to be online to have a shot at winning. It's not always easy to be online on demand like that.

    Good contest and good job with this one Turbine. This is the type of thing many of us players love!
    Sarlona - Brotherhood of Redemption Officer
    Nimlok, Cindraa, Kolnim, Grimnarr, Zenz
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
    If you believe in yourself, drink your school, stay in drugs, and don't do milk - you can get uber loot!

  17. #57
    Community Member In_Like_Flynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    2,258

    Cool Probability

    The chance that your first number occurs in a set of four random numbers is not 4 in 20.

    To calculate the odds that your first number is one of four randomly rolled numbers, you must calculate the odds that your number is not among them and take the inverse.

    19/20 * 19/20 * 19/20 * 19/20 = 130321/160000 = 0.8145

    There is an 81.45% chance that your first number is not among the four, and, inversely, a 18.55% chance that your first number is among the four.

    If your first number matches, take it, and the matching number, and remove them. Now you have your second number, and three randomly rolled numbers.

    19/20 * 19/20 * 19/20 = 6859/8000 = 0.8547

    There is an 85.47% chance that your second number is not among the three, and, inversely, a 14.53% chance that your second number is among the three.

    Perform the same equation two more times and you get

    19/20 * 19/20 = 361/400 = .9025 or 90.25% and 9.75%
    19/20 = .95 or 95% and 5%

    If you multiply the chances of failure together, you get the odds that you will match NO numbers: 0.5987 or 59.87%

    If you multiply the chances of success together, you get the odds that you will match ALL numbers: .000128973 or 0.01289%

    Your odds of winning the grand prize are 1 in 7752.
    <°)))>< O l d T i m e r s ' G u i l d ><(((°>
    H a r a j u k u - H o o l o o v o o - V e x x y
    <°)))><
    G h a l l a n d a ><(((°>

  18. #58
    Community Member Kaboose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portable Hole
    Posts
    10

    Default

    i am not doing the math because i am lazy but i take it what your tying to say is that almost none of us will win?

    am i right here?
    lvl 14 sor: Dranur
    lvl 5 pally: Suldur
    lvl 3 fighter: Zinmar
    lvl 2 sor: Dranure

    Aerenal server (soon to be Sarlona)
    Guild: saviors of the realms
    Guild leader: Zarla

  19. #59
    Community Member In_Like_Flynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    2,258

    Cool I'm gonna win

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboose View Post
    i am not doing the math because i am lazy but i take it what your tying to say is that almost none of us will win?

    am i right here?
    Well, I am going to win. I'm just laying out the odds so the people who don't understand how unlikely it was that I would not only win, but call it in advance.

    Sorry you can't share in my elation. I'll be sure to post pictures of my new uberweapon.
    <°)))>< O l d T i m e r s ' G u i l d ><(((°>
    H a r a j u k u - H o o l o o v o o - V e x x y
    <°)))><
    G h a l l a n d a ><(((°>

  20. #60
    Founder & Hero cdbd3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Escaping Mizzery in the Tavern Attic.
    Posts
    22,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
    Wow, guessing 4 numbers correctly to win a prize, and 3 just to get a consolation prize sounds pretty tough.

    Couldn't people that get 1 or 2 numbers right get a, say, "+1 Somewhat Frightening Dagger of Citric Acid"?

    ROFL! Very Monty Pythonish of ye.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual


Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload