Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default Not cool turbine, please fix

    a real life friend of mine just started playing the game. he decided he wanted to play a rogue because it seemed like somthing fun.

    not knowing much about the game he just started with a halfling because they looked rogue like and had rougue like abilities givin to them.

    also not knowing much about how to mess with stats he just used the build they gave him without useing the custimise option.

    well guess what turbines rogue build that they make for u cant evan do traps on normal because it starts u with a 10 int.

    way to go turbine, my buddy didnt get a very warm welcome from other players because of ur build. evan though he put his points in the right places at lvls he still couldnt do any rogue abilities not evan on most quest on normal.

    i just think that if turbine is gonna give u somthing u can start with. atleast make the build good enough to perform tasks on normal.

    p.s in case u didnt know rogues first feat they give u is hamstring . and u start with a 10 int.

  2. #2
    Community Member jaitee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    my 1st toon was a fighter and they gave him 18 str o.o
    Quote Originally Posted by KindoRaber View Post
    - What bothers me about buffer types and patient characters can be summed up like this... Nothing. It's their style but I am usually on a strict time limit and need to complete as much in as little a time as possible. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am better than you.

  3. #3

    Default

    Why didnt you help your friend create a Character? Especially if you knew he wasnt versed in PnP.... Not a Cool Friend......
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  4. #4
    Founder Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    5,337

    Default

    Also, they have stated that they are lowering the DCs for traps for lower-level quests. Hopefully that will make their own starting build somewhat more feasible.(A 10 Int on a rogue is still bad though. I would say 14 should be the default)

    From the WDA: "Reduced difficulty of detecting traps with Search and Spot, especially at low levels (5 and under)."
    Freeman - Human Bard - Thelanis Fulfilling my duty to the ladies of Stormreach
    Yuvben(Halfling Rogue), Acana(Drow Sorcerer), Walket(Human Cleric), Mahoukami (WF Wizard), Knicapper(Horc Fighter), Pyetr(Human Bard), Mazinger (WF Barb), and Belcar(Halfling Ranger).

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Why didnt you help your friend create a Character? Especially if you knew he wasnt versed in PnP.... Not a Cool Friend......
    dude i didnt know he was gonna pick the game up for one and 2nd thats not the point.

    im kinda thinkin if that happened to him there is a good chance that happened to others that decide to play a rogue as their first toon.

    im just saying it kinda sucks for someone new to the game if u decide to play a rogue and havent played pnp and if ur gonna sit there and argue that it doesnt then u are just another one of those punks that just argue with posters to argue.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
    Also, they have stated that they are lowering the DCs for traps for lower-level quests. Hopefully that will make their own starting build somewhat more feasible.(A 10 Int on a rogue is still bad though. I would say 14 should be the default)

    From the WDA: "Reduced difficulty of detecting traps with Search and Spot, especially at low levels (5 and under)."
    good point but im still guessing a 10 int wont cut it. only time will tell

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaitee View Post
    my 1st toon was a fighter and they gave him 18 str o.o
    well that good and all i mean i can make a fighter with 14 str and still be able to hang in there on normal difficulty.

    im just saying the rogue starter build should be changed. so that atleast u can do traps on normal diff.

  8. #8

    Default

    Is a Rogue witha 10 INT Useless? Absolutely Not...... Its it the "Right" Default... no.... Probobly not..... Charcaters can go is dozens.. If not Hundreds of Different Directions. Just because you dont like the direction Turbine chose as their default doesnt mean its wrong.....(Weird.. Manybe even Goofy.. Possibly Gimped even)

    Just reroll the Character to what you want him to play.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Why didnt you help your friend create a Character? Especially if you knew he wasnt versed in PnP.... Not a Cool Friend......


    Oh so not fair.....He cant always be around to help his friend. If the game gives u a starter character it should have all the proper stats to function properly. As stated his friend is not well versed in PNP and Im sure any 1st timer looking to play an MMO, who picks DDO throws it in and picks a rogue would expect the game to pick eveything the character needs for him. A PNP education should not be required to play this game.

    I cant say he didnt do something wrong as I cant go and attempt to build a character while the servers are down but I will try this later on.


    It has nothing to do with being a bad friend. I can pop in most any game not understanding character creation rules and have the game auto select stats, gear, looks, everything and get a character that can perform all of his class skills properly...not blow every trap because hes not smart enough.

    Like I said to be sure I need to look at what it does 1st and if there is a problem i will bug report it.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Is a Rogue witha 10 INT Useless? Absolutely Not...... Its it the "Right" Default... no.... Probobly not..... Charcaters can go is dozens.. If not Hundreds of Different Directions. Just because you dont like the direction Turbine chose as their default doesnt mean its wrong.....(Weird.. Manybe even Goofy.. Possibly Gimped even)

    Just reroll the Character to what you want him to play.
    oh okay so u think its okay for turbine to give new players coming into the game a rogue build that cant do any rogue abilities on norm diff quests?

  11. #11
    Community Member Sue_Dark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Just reroll the Character to what you want him to play.
    Now that has got to be the single worst statement I have ever seen.

    The very first question anyone should be asking is, simply, is your friend having fun playing this character? It is a definitely non-optimal build, but if fun is the goal and fun is reached then to heck with all the nay sayers. Most of the time, my rogue doesnt get a chance to disarm traps before the party has moved thru and onward anyway, so why worry about them at all. (Of course I do laugh a bit, inside, when someone who said it wasnt a big deal lies dead in the trap)

    OP- If your friend is NOT enjoying the build granted him as a pre-made, I would suggest referring him to the rogue forum here to learn a little bit about building a rogue and then he should rebuild with an enlightened mind as to what people expect of a rogue and where the consensus is that his stats/skill should be set. Then after obtaining that knowledge, if he chooses an 18 str/cha 10 dex/int rogue, more power to him. Educate the new player, dont beat them up or tell them what to play. If they ask for help or suggestion then you are free to offer what your experience has taught you.
    Fyshie the Tasty, of Thelanis
    Notit of Khyber
    I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death, your right to say it.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Dark View Post
    Now that has got to be the single worst statement I have ever seen.

    The very first question anyone should be asking is, simply, is your friend having fun playing this character? It is a definitely non-optimal build, but if fun is the goal and fun is reached then to heck with all the nay sayers. Most of the time, my rogue doesnt get a chance to disarm traps before the party has moved thru and onward anyway, so why worry about them at all. (Of course I do laugh a bit, inside, when someone who said it wasnt a big deal lies dead in the trap)

    OP- If your friend is NOT enjoying the build granted him as a pre-made, I would suggest referring him to the rogue forum here to learn a little bit about building a rogue and then he should rebuild with an enlightened mind as to what people expect of a rogue and where the consensus is that his stats/skill should be set. Then after obtaining that knowledge, if he chooses an 18 str/cha 10 dex/int rogue, more power to him. Educate the new player, dont beat them up or tell them what to play. If they ask for help or suggestion then you are free to offer what your experience has taught you.

    no he said he didnt have very much fun at all in fact he was made fun of by some others in the group. i helped him make a new build and now he is back to having fun .

    i just rolled a charector using what turbine has given u to start with as a halfling rogue and am running through the lvl one quest on norm to see if maybe by spending action points smarter it is a liable build.

  13. #13
    Community Member Zenako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,748

    Default

    Couple of points here. It seems that pretty much everyone so far is viewing rogues as being Trapmonkeys first, and everything lese later. What are the other starting stats for the default rogue? I do not know off hand, but if they only have a 10 INT then they must have some nice numbers elsewhere. What about rogues using UMD a lot (CHA)? or being STRONG complimentary fighters with great DPS (STR and / or DEX)? INT and WIS both come into play for finding and taking down traps depending on how much Spot and Search activity needs to go on.

    In my view a starting matrix should enable a new player to explore all the various aspects of the class. They will not be optimal for anything, but then again should be able to do most everything at some level.

    Was the rogue running in level appropriate quests when they were found to be lacking in certain skills? How did the player spend his skill points? Were those also reasonably used in the default template for rogues? Again since I am a D&D geek, I never even considered the default settings.

    I can tell you that if you have a nominal 1st level rogue running around in a level 4 quest (level 2 on Elite for example) they will have trouble unless they are also twinked up a bit in design or gear.

    What you do gain for insight from the default templates is a little idea of how the designers view that character class.
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

  14. #14
    Community Member Talcyndl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,867

    Default

    Just an FYI, that starting intelligence is only the default for Halfling. The elven default has an intel of 14 IIRC.

    But regardless, it's an idiotic build if someone wants a "rogue" - ie, a character which can at least do the majority of traps.


  15. #15
    Community Member Pellegro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,988

    Default

    I think the OP has a very good point.

    If this game has any hope of attracting adn keeping new players, it can't have "default" builds that can't even do the relevant class tasks on normal.

    The default rogue build should have sufficient INT and DEX, and an appropriate skill point allocation and feat selection, to make it playable at level 1.

    Otherwise, any new blood we ever get will run away in frustration.

    Hopefully Turbine will take an afternoon to review the default builds and make sure they are tenable and in keeping with the iconic skills/abilities of the various classes.

  16. #16
    Community Member ahpook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    2,023

    Default

    I'll second this request. The rogue default build is singularly bad. The rogue build tips even say that Int is an important stat and they give the default build a lousy 10 points? The only reason to play that build is if you trying to accomplish something very unusual. That player is not a new player using a default build.

    Telling a new player to reroll right after they hit level 2 (or 3) is no way to get a new player excited by the game.

  17. #17
    Community Member pcgammerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    118

    Default

    while i agree that 10 int for a rog is too low, but more importantly is the skill allocation. even with 10 int a rog should still be able to take care of traps on normal as long as the skills have been placed properly. anything higher then normal maybe a different story as well as if he is trying quests way over his lvl.


    and hamstring as a first feat....*** were they thinking
    If you always do what you always did, then you will be condemned to get what you always got......

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    251

    Default Class Prime requsite

    Prime Req for a rogue If u read it when u are building your character are highlight in Blue.

    For rogues it says DEX, INT (auto rolling a 10 is unacceptable in either one)

    Do that to any caster and you cant cast spells

    Do that to a fighter who is not dex based and u will barely make 2nd level forget about 3rd without help getting thru quests.

    If the generator is doing this it needs to be bug reported.

    Any prime attribute should have enuff bonuses to aleast give u a +1 modifier

  19. #19
    Community Member Vinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    I don't know about you guys but the 1st character I made was hardly optimal and was more to learn about the game. Once I got my feet wet I re-rolled with a better idea of what I wanted to do. Seems like a natural progression to me. I also can't stand people who make fun of new players. Makes me sick. There are enough dumb people to laugh at so no reason to pick on the new folks.

  20. #20
    Community Member Talcyndl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinos View Post
    I also can't stand people who make fun of new players. Makes me sick. There are enough dumb people to laugh at so no reason to pick on the new folks.

    True. Although in this case, they were really making fun of Turbine for a really bad default halfling rogue build.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload