Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spell Strategies

I'm starting this thread to get a condensed list of Spell Tactics for people to peruse.

Basically the premise is what spells work best against the different types of mobs, side effects of spells not commonly known, new and interesting ways to use those often unused spells, choosing the best spell for the quickest/easiest kill and any other stategies you can think of, too include Arcane and Divine spells.

I have found myself with a certain set of spells that I rarely change out and was wondering if any of you had some sound stategies for those often unused spells.

Also what spells work just as well from a scroll/wand as casting yourself, you could free up spell slots and save components for other spells this way.

Example: Often unused spell Waves of Exhaustion, cast through a doorway into a group of mobs, -6 to str and dex = -3 to attack, AC and reflex saves, stacks with everything, coupled with a symbol of weakness in the door -3d6 strength could make every hit a crit on most mobs. Greatly reduces damage mobs do also. These all stack with curse too if someone has a cursespewer .

Example: Wizard casting Heroism or Greater Heroism on an incap player to get them up.

Example: Scrolls are good if the spell doesn't require a saving throw or isn't very dependent on level to do its effect. i.e. cloudkill, restore, remove disease, neutralize poison, chill touch(for -1 strength each) and lots of others.

Anyways I'm looking forward to your ideas and insights into the wonderful spells we have.
    Last edited by Onysablet; 04-21-2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Wrong Spell edit

Good post, I haven't used waves of exhaustion, we casters think alot about damaging and crowd control but that is an awesome spell. Kind of wondered why it is a level 7 spell.

I have used bears endurance and falselife on downed combantants and since my heal skill is so low, no reason to carry healing tools.

I use hold monster and pk alot, mostly hold monster if they are coming at me or the monster is picking on another squishy type.

I always cast jump on the cleric as it is embarrasing watching them jump around.

The new 3rd level spell magic circle of life? It is protection from evil and even though you have a pally in your group this is a positional spell so it casts on the whole group and everyone has it, even if they are not with the pally.
    Zaxen 12 fighter/2 pally/2rogue, debutaunt 16 sorc, reckon 15 cleric, graxes 16 ranger, lizzi 11 rogue/4 ranger, Graxen 13 fighter, Robinna 12 ranger, Grexes 7 barb. Retired Elleron 14 wizard, Ekellon 10 ranger, Axen 15 fighter, Rustalot wf wizzy, Karel 13 paladin.

Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

Default Chill Touch: A new found weapon

I must say I think this will be a good thread. To answer at least one question my new found favorite is chill touch. I just rolled a new sorc and the game gave me chill touch before I customized and I thought what the heck lets try that. So I took it. Chill touch is a very effective spell and one I've rarely seen used. Its two spells in one. 1d6 damage per level of caster and -1 str per hit with no save...i repeat no save. While there are spells at first level with more damage ie Niacs they get a save not for half but for no damage.

As an example I solo'ed Kobolds New ringleader with my 2nd level sorc. Used mainly chill touch and niac's once or twice. I survived with no deaths didn't even come close.

Ranged spelss such as MM or Niacs are the best for casters as they should be avoiding melee combat but when confronted with being in a mob going close quarters with something like chill touch is great good damage and eveyhit makes you opponet hit you less hard because of the str damage. I would highly reccommend this often overlooked spell.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenStormclaw View Post
    Chill touch is a very effective spell and one I've rarely seen used. Its two spells in one. 1d6 damage per level of caster and -1 str per hit with no save...i repeat no save. While there are spells at first level with more damage ie Niacs they get a save not for half but for no damage.

I would highly reccommend this often overlooked spell.
    I don't think this spell has been overlooked .. before it was re-capped at 5d6 people were spamming it like it was going out of style (which, technically, it was).

Shocking Grasp also doesn't have a save anymore, has the same damage die as Chill Touch, is resisted by very few mobs, AND has a damage enhancement that is available to Arcane casters.

Default Saving Throws....

****False Life edited to Heroism or Greater Heroism as it is self cast only****

Another thing to remember is which mobs have the weakest Saves
    Casters = Fortitude, Reflex
    Warriors = Will, Reflex
    Rogues = Fortitude, Will

Thus Flesh to Stone, Slay Living, Destruction, Finger of Death... anything with a Fort save is great, for a group of casters I like the web to stop em all then pick em off with these spells while the warrior types concentrate on the other mobs. Thus I dont draw agro from the more physical beasties.

Warriors I like a Mind Fog coupled with a Symbol of persuasion or mass suggestion, will turn the tide of battle quick, and they are less likely to make their save later on with the -10 to will save.

Rogues, Phantasmal Killer for the win nearly every time, don't bother with any damage spells that have a reflex save, rogues have evasion now. Web may still work occasionally on rogues if they roll low. They are easy to charm also.

I have noticed a lot of the higher level clerics are casting freedom of movement on their fellow baddies, so hold monster may not work when there is a cleric among the mobs.

Just a few more thoughts please continue with your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    I don't think this spell has been overlooked .. before it was re-capped at 5d6 people were spamming it like it was going out of style (which, technically, it was).

Shocking Grasp also doesn't have a save anymore, has the same damage die as Chill Touch, is resisted by very few mobs, AND has a damage enhancement that is available to Arcane casters.
    i concur before chill touch was fn awesome even when they lowered the dmg from it my caster does around 82 dmg per hit when maximized with only a 2 second cool down.
    Mabar Characters

Yith 14 Wiz
    Akiru (13) 2 Ftr/5 Rog/ 6 Ranger
    Gellor (11) 10 Bard/ 1 Sorc
    Eclavadra 8 Cleric
    Obmi (3) 2 Barb/1 Fighter

Touch of Idiocy on Duergar (to make them CHA helpless)
    Mindfire on wolves and rust monsters (to make them INT helpless)

Don't see those types of spells used much but they can do quite a bit in the right context.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    Touch of Idiocy on Duergar (to make them CHA helpless)
    Duergar have 6 CHA? Obviously not the Blackguards ..

Community Member

An often overlooked spell is Slow on a large mob. Cast slow on a mob and then haste or expeditious retreat on yourself to easily run away from them. Usually at some distance point, the mob will give up interest and break pursuit.

Any sufficiently advanced bureaucracy is indistinguishable from molasses.

A) 1-3 Enervation (usually best to use scrolls) + Finger of Death/PK/(insert save spell)

B) Duergar Blackguards in King room Symbol of Flame and firewall (max/emp) (I managed to kill the guards in 6 seconds with this)

C) I suppose an Extended Otto's Dancing Sphere and Cloudkill might work *shrugs* haven't tried it Someone care to try?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Huxley
    There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued
    Turbine, you can hire more developers for the game. We operate on a giant Theocracy of Debt, so go all out finding developers for the best MMO out there

(1) I can confirm that Otto's Dancing Sphere and Cloudkill works great. (However, if you can just enlarge Cloudkill something, it's more cheaper, but that's another story)

(2)Obscuring Mist can use as an AOE blur as long as no one throw something like Fireball / Flamestrike / Firewall in it.

(3)Ghoul Touch was my new love. Good to against enemy arcane caster with dual puncturing in a mess. The disadvantage was it's touch range..

(4)Place a CK then place another Hypnotic Pattern (out of CK area) then you can use it to cook some enemy when their friend just fascinating in front of them and stuck the path...

(5)Touch of Idiocy was good to cast via clicky... (no saving throw, can't be maximize/empower, caster level doesn't effect the penalty score, only stop via Spell Resistance)

(6)Same as Ray of Exhaustion (I use them from clicky even on my wizard). Use it with a Solid Fog or so spell then you got a monster moving in an extreme slow movement speed.

(7)Doesn't have chance to cooperate with a cleric to verify my theory yet, but technically if you can have your cleric cast Freedom of Movement on everyone then you can make up an area with Sleet Storm and Grease..... *grin evilly* (note: some enemy caster will cast freedom of movement right now)

(8)Deep Slumber was useful on some occasional situation when you got some enemy will continue to spawn and they can affect by sleeping effect -- for example, I love to use it on VoN5 puzzle room where you got 4 warforged spawn constantly. (Note: Deep Slumber was 1mins/caster level and extended-able)

(9)Doesn't have chance to verify it yet, but in theory you should be able to use Rage to help some incap member..

I still need a lot more time to experiment those Wiz7 spell and see if I can dig something interesting out
    [ Fernia / Ghallanda ]
    -- Role of the Combat Cleric : We fight for our party's survival --

Some of my favorite spells for crowd control include Mass Suggestion which works great on mobs with weak will saves. Another favorite of mine for door to door fighting is Symbol of Weakness. 3d6 points of STR dam is nothing to shake a stick at. Enervation is a great spell, but I doubt it would fall into the overlooked category.

Duergar have 6 CHA? Obviously not the Blackguards ..
    Blackguards are evil paladins, so I would expect them to have a decent CHA. However, the lower end duergar have rather low CHA due to the -4 racial CHA penalty they have.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by Vyctor View Post
    Some of my favorite spells for crowd control include Mass Suggestion which works great on mobs with weak will saves. Another favorite of mine for door to door fighting is Symbol of Weakness. 3d6 points of STR dam is nothing to shake a stick at. Enervation is a great spell, but I doubt it would fall into the overlooked category.
    Throw some waves of exhaustion through the door also and you can really kick em when they are down, its a permanent spell I think and also slows them down, couple with a solid fog they can hardly move.

Community Member

I enjoyed using grease on kobold assault. If you put it on a slope, even things that make their save can't run up hill. One problem with it though, the area of effect is bigger than the graphic. You think you're safe, then you slide down the hill.

An annoying side effect of glitterdust is lag. I swear the enemy use the lag to their advantage. They cast glitterdust - everything freezes - then when I try to cast my spells, I get the "You must face target to cast this spell" message, even though they look like they are right in front of me.

Mind fog is a must in my spell book.

I tend to duo a lot with my fiance who plays a fighter, and we'll set a cloud and symbol around the bend from a camp, have her run in and draw aggro back through it, and then watch as Darwin's work takes care of the rest. With Giants in the group they spot trouble before we see it and take the forces forward to euthanize more camps for us.

I have found that between mind for and 4 other spells I can create an army that corrects itself.

Symbol of Pursuasion
    Mass Suggestion
    Suggestion
    Charm monster

The 2 mass charms have to be used at least 45 seconds to a minute apart, otherwise everyone could turn at once. If spaced correctly though adventure zones could easily conquered with a horde of lackeys.

The Cloud also doubles up for phantasmal killing while in it (they still get for save but almost guaranteed to damage them).

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I imagine it would work similar with the Mass hold person spell too.

The bowl of blood quest had me using quite a bit of grease and sleet storm on the portals behind us as we moved forward. This tended to discourage pursuit pretty well.

When playing solo and you need to clear a room full of plebs with 1 boss use the following ingredients:

1) solid fog the doorway.
    2) cast max/emp firewall perpendicular to the doorway inside the fog
    3) at the end of the firewall (on your end away from the doorway) cast a delayed blast fireball or 2 in trap mode (or symbols of flame/firetrap).

Open the door, run into the room and zerg everything. Pull them all back to the doorway. The plebs will burn in the firewall and the boss will detonate the trap spells you left at the end of the firewall.

The best way to deal with a party member who's abusive or a general jerk. Summon Monster 7 + Mass Suggestion + Symbol of Persuasion + Grease at his feet + Teleport ....... I've never tried it BTW, just a thought.

Default More Tips

Another fun thing to do is throw out an extended disco ball with a few cloud kills from scrolls thrown in. Have a tank run out and kite all the mobs back to the disco ball and watch em dance and choke to death. Will save a bit of mana by using the scrolls and not having to enlarge your cloudkills and such to get those mobs without being seen. Could throw a web or two on top for added stickiness.

I have found out in GH that the ogres are a lot meaner than the giants, by charming various critters and watching who normally wins. The ogre berserkers take out the giants hands down, get yourself a troll warmonger for combat and regen to keep him around, just try to hit him with a mind fog first to kill his will save. He'll stick around a while. Charm a few casters while you are at it, never hurts to have the mobs casting spells for you.

Default New uses for low level Arcane spells

I notice that ghouls touch (2nd level spell) causes paralyzation with a fort save... there is no duration or anything, Heighten this against casters and it looks like you could paralyze then permanently. I'll have to test this out as it would save spell points. Also was reminded about chill touch causing fear in the undead, no save it looks like, or at least it doesn't mention one. Would be great to hit those pesky undead that won't leave you alone, also realized that mindless undead don't get a save against halt undead. Giant skellies? they could be toast it seems with either of these spells. Looked at ray of enfeeblement again also, 1d6 + 5 strength damage at 10th lvl wiz/sorc is nothing to shake a stick at, should work on RED names, not sure though. It's a great spell it seems to lessen the damage the tanks take, and its cheap, fast and no saving throw allowed.

I'm gonna keep posting things like this and maybe I'll get stickied for all you casters out there who want new ideas for old spells... or new spells.

I haven't taken a closer look at the divine spells yet, I'll post on those later.

Default Cleric Spells

Copied and Pasted these last few notes from my posts on my Guild Forums

Ok gonna take a look at a few cleric spells.
    First off I LOVE the new mass spells a cleric has.
    I tend to use Magic circle against evil, Mass Aid, Mass Shield of Faith, Mass Bears or Owls, Mass spell resistance and Remove fear. These are all great spells to boost party member's Saving throws, AC, Attack, HP's, and overall survivability. I use Owl's wisdom because not many players will have the +4 Wis item like they would Con, Str, and Dex. And that gives +2 to your will saves. I use Mass Aid instead of bless to get the extra HP's. Mass Shield of Faith for the +4 deflection, not many have these yet. Spell Resistance... SR 26 is just great. Remove fear just because fear effectively takes you out of the equation which is bad, unless there won't be any casters.

Use Greater Command on all those fighter mobs that rush forward, Banish all those pesky outsiders (mephits, renders, tharaak hounds, jaraliths, reavers, flensers) its great when you can get groups of em. Destruction takes out most any caster type and its ranged instead of touch, like Slay Living. Use Slay Living when you are up close and personal to save SP.

Use Freedom of Movement on yourself first off, if you are stuck you can't help others. Use on those with low saves next and others if you have SP to spare. (the paladins will more than likely make their saves)

Thats the first rule of being a cleric, SURVIVE, so you can get the party back up and running. Don't forget to heal yourself.

Don't waste two casts of cure crit if one heal will work, ask your group what their max HP's are. Dont waste a full heal on a caster who only has 90 HP's, it casts slower and you waste its potential, and you have to wait for it to regen while the melee's are getting stomped on. Don't use Heal on a melee until he is down too 1/4 HP's if you have any devotion 5 or enhancements you can easily Heal over 200 HP's. You don't have to hit the melee's with cure light wounds during battle, use Heal when they get low, use your lower level cures for the one's in your group with low HP's to keep them topped off. You know the one's who will die from a one shot crit if they aren't at full health.

Gonna get flamed for this probably "IT'S YOUR JOB TO KEEP THE PARTY ALIVE," now I have a semi Battle cleric and I enjoy kicking some major butt, part of keeping the party alive is taking out threats, but don't forget to heal others also.

Recitation is an awesome spell +2 LUCK bonus stacks with everything even other luck bonuses. Use it for Major fights if you have the SP.

Most clerics try to save SP for healing, while you can prevent a lot of damage with your buffing spells, thus saving the healing in the first place.

By no means am I trying to tell anyone how to play their cleric these are all my opinions about how to use our spells to good benefit.

Don't use Blade barrier where you can draw too much agro... I.E. wide open spaces, use it in choke points where the mobs can't get to you. Unless you want to run them through it 50 times in a wide open space...it's a very situational spell.

All in all Clerics have great buffing and "attack" spells use them wisely, I would use wands or scrolls for most of your utility spells though it can get really expensive, especially raise dead and resurrection scrolls. Use raise dead after the battle and ressurection during the battle.

Still researching other spells will take a look at Ranger and Bards next, though they do not have many other spells specific to them than the arcane and divine spells I've look at so far.
    Last edited by Onysablet; 04-26-2007 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Some Grammar and Clarifications

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast