Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8

    Default Fixing the Mobility Feat

    Unless they changed it with the last mod. I assume that it still stands that mobility only works when tumbling. There are several problems with this:

    1. It is not true to pnp, where you get it whenever you are moving.

    2. It makes spring attack almost pointless. Yes its nice not taking the -2 for moving but there are really no attacks of opportunity in DDO and you can always move and attack then move in ddo.

    3. Unless you are a dex based fighter you are highly unlikely to ever tumble at all. Thus it becomes a useless requirement for those that want Whirlwind attack.

    Are there any rumors of them fixing this issue. I think it should be like in the pnp version. This will allow Ftrs to have a +4 while on the move. Imagine. You can run circles around these monsters with +4 ac while attacking with no -2. It would be much better. If there is no plan to fix this broken feat then where can i make a recommendation? I am a long time player but pretty new to the boards.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    399

    Default

    I tumble all the time with my dex based and str based fighter, +2 ac is great when your backing away from something thats killing you.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    202

    Default

    I'm trying to tumble more .. but it's really not strategically viable. It's very difficult to attack between tumbles .. (holding the shift button is very gay).

    Perhaps if tumble was simply a 'mode' toggle .. and movement was automatically a tumble .. it would be more useful.

    My biggest issue with the mechanic is that tumble isn't particularly useful < 30.
    However the classes that are most likely to invest into it.. Fighter, Ranger, Barbarian .. dont' get tumble as a class skill -- Nor do they recieve any sort of Tumble Enhancement ... (AND YET, Fighters get a Mobility enhancement?!)

    I would be satisfied with a +1 dodge bonus while moving, that is increased to a +4 bonus when tumbling.

    Also ..some Fighter, Ranger enhancements for tumble would be nice.
    Last edited by ManinBlaq; 05-18-2007 at 12:50 PM.
    To think that he of Darkness' Blight ..
    in service should be bound.
    To a dream, he has never known ..
    To a treasure, never found.

  4. #4
    Community Member Darkgnoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Actually, the PnP version gives +4 to AC against AoOs.

    AoOs do not exist in DDO (as much as I wish they did).

    Therefore, Mobility cannot work as it does in PnP. I think the way it works here is good for the system in place here. I also do not like the active aspect to tumble, but, again, without AoOs, it's not a bad way to do things.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManinBlaq View Post
    I'm trying to tumble more .. but it's really not strategically viable. It's very difficult to attack between tumbles .. (holding the shift button is very gay).

    Perhaps if tumble was simply a 'mode' toggle .. and movement was automatically a tumble .. it would be more useful.

    My biggest issue with the mechanic is that tumble isn't particularly useful < 30.
    However the classes that are most likely to invest into it.. Fighter, Ranger, Barbarian .. dont' get tumble as a class skill -- Nor do they recieve any sort of Tumble Enhancement ... (AND YET, Fighters get a Mobility enhancement?!)

    I would be satisfied with a +1 dodge bonus while moving, that is increased to a +4 bonus when tumbling.

    Also ..some Fighter, Ranger enacements for tumble would be nice.
    I always tumble, its a good way to move going up to something it will stop you at the right distance, and backing up for a heal its much faster then moving backwards. I don't know why more people don't use it, you lose nothing and gain ac.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Casta View Post
    I always tumble, its a good way to move going up to something it will stop you at the right distance, and backing up for a heal its much faster then moving backwards. I don't know why more people don't use it, you lose nothing and gain ac.
    Well I have had some luck in Stormcleave .. tumbling takes you out of range of the giant's stomp .. and then I can tumble back in for some quick attacks.

    I don't know about the 'stopping at the right distance' aspect, as you don't control how far you actually move while tumbling, additionally -- you also loose some mobility as you can only tumble in a straight line: front, back, side to side ... you can't sidestep/rotate around the opponent.

    My biggest complaint is the 'shift' aspect of tumble, as it wigs out my attacks.
    To think that he of Darkness' Blight ..
    in service should be bound.
    To a dream, he has never known ..
    To a treasure, never found.

  7. #7
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Casta View Post
    I always tumble, its a good way to move going up to something it will stop you at the right distance, and backing up for a heal its much faster then moving backwards. I don't know why more people don't use it, you lose nothing and gain ac.
    don't use it because it is so unwieldy to use. especially if I want to tumble, attack, jump over something and then tumble again. as another poster said, maybe if it was a stance it would be easier to use. but that still makes it tough to switch in and out of tumble to jump.

    remember, some of us came from strategy, not twitchy, games

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManinBlaq View Post
    I don't know about the 'stopping at the right distance' aspect, as you don't control how far you actually move while tumbling, additionally -- you also loose some mobility as you can only tumble in a straight line: front, back, side to side ... you can't sidestep/rotate around the opponent.
    you stop when you hit something or someone so if you aim it right you stop right infront of them.

  9. #9
    Community Member Olaustt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smart_alex View Post
    Unless they changed it with the last mod. I assume that it still stands that mobility only works when tumbling. There are several problems with this:

    1. It is not true to pnp, where you get it whenever you are moving.

    2. It makes spring attack almost pointless. Yes its nice not taking the -2 for moving but there are really no attacks of opportunity in DDO and you can always move and attack then move in ddo.

    3. Unless you are a dex based fighter you are highly unlikely to ever tumble at all. Thus it becomes a useless requirement for those that want Whirlwind attack.

    Are there any rumors of them fixing this issue. I think it should be like in the pnp version. This will allow Ftrs to have a +4 while on the move. Imagine. You can run circles around these monsters with +4 ac while attacking with no -2. It would be much better. If there is no plan to fix this broken feat then where can i make a recommendation? I am a long time player but pretty new to the boards.
    Ok this is not useless at all first off, it's a +4 to AC when you tumble and it's a -4 to attack if you are moving and attacking in DDO. Spring attack is Highly usefull given that the mobs are allways moving around now.

    Role Players on Khyber
    "Build bridges not walls."

  10. #10
    Community Member Cap_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    606

    Default

    I have Mobility on my rogue and use Tumble a fair bit. I mostly use this to get out of combat quickly when taking damage which means I get extra +4 AC when I'm in trouble and I can get out of the way faster.

    Yeah, it's a real pain in the butt to get used to this but now it's just so much second nature that I also end up attempting to tumble when playing my paladin ... who doesn't tumble very well in full plate.

  11. #11
    Community Member Frodo_Lives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The great white north
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    I'd like to take the spring attack line of feats for my fighter but i really can't justify it as I would be spending three feats and really the only benifit I would get from the first two would be +1 to AC.

    Not a good trade off, Mobility is a pre req feat for Spring Attk which is a pretty good feat, but I won't take it (or whirlwind attk) for the simple reason is that the feats I would have to spend on the pre reqs are basically a waste.

    I would like Mobility to be changed into a feat that would be at least moderately useful to a fighter, just like it is in PnP. Right now it ruins the whole chain of feats that depend on it.

  12. #12

    Default

    A. Mobility is pretty much a sucky feat, not really great in D&D either.
    B. Spring attack is still nice if you really like fighting that way
    C. Tumbling is handy but much more so if you map it to a mouse button or the like. Shift is a terrible place for it if you are using WASD.
    D. Personaly I think they should just remove mobility and make the feat chain shorter giving a feat respec to those that have it.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

  13. #13
    Community Member Brianius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Man It sells like fish, ohh wait fishing capital of us...that explains it.
    Posts
    818

    Default

    mobility is a inbetweener feat
    NO!! I wont correct my spelling/grammar, and yes I lack the power of typed word.
    Been to Ghallanda lately?
    Wanna have fun but not sure how? Here is your answer!

  14. #14
    Community Member gserlenga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Couldn't agree more with the starter of this post. They need to implement things in DDO as they are in PnP whenever its feasible IMO. Making mobility a fixed +4AC when moving OR tumbling would be great. There is no reason why mobility should really have anything to do with tumbling necessarily.

  15. #15
    Community Member critchit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Newfoundland, canada
    Posts
    20

    Default

    I have a ranged fighter/rogue. I am tumbleing all the time, when I have a shield out or a repeater. Hmm.. at work right now so I can't double check the numbers but I'm pretty sure with the mobility enhancements I get a +8ac while tumbleing at level 14. That boost to the ac is like haveing a shield equipped instead of switching... and reallly helps when you get swarmed by mobs.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smart_alex View Post
    1. It is not true to pnp, where you get it whenever you are moving.

    2. It makes spring attack almost pointless. Yes its nice not taking the -2 for moving but there are really no attacks of opportunity in DDO and you can always move and attack then move in ddo.
    1) It cannot be true to PnP unless you want casters to cast 1 spell every 4 hours (4 hours being the assumed game day). To take a turn based, agonizingly slow combat game like D&D and make it into a internet viable game means they need to take a few liberties.

    2) One of those liberties is remove Attacks of Opportunity but in its place make everyone take a -4 to hit when your are moving. The Spring Attack gets rid of this -4 to hit which is a really nice bonus.

  17. #17

    Default

    Personally I'd like to see the mobility feat give you a +2 dodge bonus to your AC while moving. This way it synergizes nicely with the Spring Attack feat and keeps us from having to hold the shift key down for 25 minutes to an hour to get the defensive stance to kick in.

    Turbine could then implement an additional +2 Dodge bonus while tumbling to encourage use of the skill for those willing to wait. Fighters could also have the Fighter's mobility enhancements (Have it cap at +2) and Rogues could have a version that affects the tumble AC (Capped at +4).

    For those who may consider this "Unbalancing" let me remind you that Turbine gives us an additional +2 AC that we don't have in P&P when we shield block.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload