So Monk....weapons or unarmed? And Dex or Str?
I come again to ask your wisdom :)
I've got another TR coming up soon (4th life, starting to feel strong now :) ), and would like to have a crack at Monk this life. Thing is, I seem to be stupid when it comes to this class, in that I can't figure out whether UA or a weapon is a better idea. Obviously I'll be centered, so I'm looking at the options which allow this.
Options appear to be:
- Unarmed - this gives me stunning fist, which I LOVE. It's a Str based DC I believe? Which would make me a Str monk.
- Shortsword - Drow race looks nice for this, with SS enhs and monk enhs stacking (I think?) but how poor is SS DPS compared to a weapon like Daxe or Khopesh,, or Staff?
- Exotic - Khopesh I guess, or something like...bastard sword maybe? Again, it looks like I can go Dex based with this as a slashing weapon, but is it worth the Fighter 8 investment?
- Animal - This is a druid thing. Winter Wolf form using UA (or staff? Is that an option?) with Natural Fighting looks attractive, but a 9 splash of Druid is heavy...
- Other...Longsword with a Cleric/Pala/FVS god-splash? Is this viable?
I've played a Monk no further than level 10, and always stayed pure. I have no experience past that. I have figured out though that ability points are kinda at a premium with this class. For that reason a Str-dump Dex-based build looks great, but I am aware that Str is much more buffable than Dex, and I am wary of ability damage which could make me uncentered.
Anything anyone can advise is most appreciated, up to and including "Dude, you're clueless, play something else" :)