Jedial the Paladin - Post Enhancement Pass
Since these changes affect all of THAC0, I am posting Jedial's changes here. I did NOT use the +20 Heart (yet), although it appears that would/will be the only way to get back the most useful enhancement that was lost - Undying Call.
I'll start with what I consider the "bad" changes:
- NO MORE UNDYING CALL. From what I understand, there is a feat required or deity choice you need to make when starting a Paladin (or Cleric or any divine) that would unlock this enhancement. It does not even appear in any of the racial (half elf) or Class trees. No more raise dead guys, sorry.
- Lost Divine Might. Not enough points after choosing other things, also with my 15 CHA it went from +2 damage to +1 hit and +1 damage under the new system.
- My first racial core enhancement is worthless, since I do not have either point blank shot or sneak attack. A waste of 1 AP.
- Lost 1 Lay on Hands. Now I have 1 instead of 2. Not enough AP to build up both class trees AND racial tree, so had to save that for later.
- I used to have Human Adaptability that gave me a choice of bonuses. I could use Attack, Armor Class, Damage, Saves or Skills. I now only have the Damage Boost, although it is the second tier.
Now for the Good:
- I gained Divine Sacrifice. I can sacrifice 1 SP and 5HP to do an extra 7d6 light damage. I lose the SP/HP whether I score a hit or not.
- Hunter of the Dead improvement. Essentially got an extra 1d6 damage to undead.
- Turn undead looks more powerful. They kind of combined it with divine light so you know how much damage you do with your turns. I can now hit undead for 12d6 light damage on a turn attempt.
- I gained a Paladin Damage Boost 5/rest.
- I now do an extra 1d6 damage to all evil creatures, which stacks with HoD.
- They combined, rather than placed side-by-side sharing the numer of attempts, Cure Disease and Lesser Restore. So instead of 2/rest of either/or, when I cast Cure Disease, it adds Lesser Restore along with it. A minor, situationally good, bonus.
So my offensive capability looks better as long as I am fighting undead. Defensive/Survivability looks worse with 1 less LOH ands no Undying Call.