PDA

View Full Version : Important Announcement - PLEASE READ

Samera
04-01-2007, 06:52 AM
It has just come to our attention that a high diplomacy skill DOES affect the loot given in chests. We have done extensive testing on this and we have come up with the following procedure to guarantee that you get the best possible loot every single time:

1) Equip all of your best +CHA items
2) Circle the chest three time moving counter-clockwise.
3) Use your Diplomacy skill
4) Open the chest from the north-facing side of the chest.

Also, "looking for ham" may, in some cases, affect loot-gained. We still aren't sure at what point in the process you should turn on /lfh though. As soon as we know, we’ll be sure to let you know.

We apologize for the confusion on the matter and we are truly sorry that you have gotten any less than the maximum loot for the past year. Following the steps above should ensure this doesn't happen again.

noneou
04-01-2007, 06:57 AM
I have known this for a month now. Yes it really does work.

Hendrik
04-01-2007, 07:02 AM
You have failed to mention the effect that /dance has on a chest with a high CHA.

TwoHeals
04-01-2007, 07:34 AM
i knew it :p

Brimy
04-01-2007, 07:53 AM
I feel like a fool ;) for believing otherwise. :p

Allasar
04-01-2007, 08:14 AM
The sad thing is that so many people will in fact believe this to be true in spite of all evidence to the contrary :D

baylensman
04-01-2007, 08:17 AM
A slight clarification, I 've found the "looking for ham" works better on raid loot, while /dance works best on standard quests

UtherSRG
04-01-2007, 08:54 AM
It has just come to our attention that a high diplomacy skill DOES affect the loot given in chests. We have done extensive testing on this and we have come up with the following procedure to guarantee that you get the best possible loot every single time:

Also, "looking for ham" may, in some cases, affect loot-gained. We still aren't sure at what point in the process you should turn on /lfh though. As soon as we know, we’ll be sure to let you know.

We apologize for the confusion on the matter and we are truly sorry that you have gotten any less than the maximum loot for the past year. Following the steps above should ensure this doesn't happen again.

Nice. Very nice. Good to see the jovial fluids are still flowing. :D

Tenkari_Rozahas
04-01-2007, 08:55 AM
I woulda believed a closing DDO post than this as a joke <.<

good try though, especially numbers 2 and 4.

Kisaragi
04-01-2007, 09:01 AM

You guys are terrible. Making all the newbs frantic to test out this lie. I mean you do realize that someone will think it's true, rather then a prank for april first and it'll cause huge fights with everyone. Thanks for making me have to listen to this garbage in group for months now. You owe me a katana for this...

Invalid_7
04-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Rofl :)

sidmind
04-01-2007, 09:14 AM
:) I have been doing this for months, I KNEW IT

The_Cataclysm
04-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Damn it. Why couldn't we get a tinfoil hat (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/items/tinfoilhat.xml)?

Symar-FangofLloth
04-01-2007, 09:22 AM
You just gotta ruin it for everyone, don't ya Bloodsyn.

Kisaragi
04-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Yes, especially since I said, I'll have to listen people spouting this for months so people can't open chests. They could have done this for end rewards, but people already do screwy things for chests sometimes, this is not the encouragement the insane needed.

Vardak
04-01-2007, 09:39 AM

/me rolls eyes

This is compleatly silly, everyone knows all you need to do is /sleep with a chest to bypass all this nonsense.

Dane_McArdy
04-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Hmm what day is it?

Coldin
04-01-2007, 10:15 AM

And all this time I thought it was /grovel that affected chests. Now don't I feel silly when it was diplomacy all along. :)

Hokiewa
04-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Lmao too funny. However 17 million posts are gonna show up now and I'm gonna laugh...........til it hurts.....

RemoJr
04-01-2007, 10:20 AM
bah! I just /beg and /grovel the chests, and it works! you believe me right?

lostdrow
04-01-2007, 10:21 AM
you dev did it again now I have to reroll all my guy again. tks

rlol:D

Clawstorm
04-01-2007, 10:45 AM

Don't forget casting bless on the chest.

Ganak
04-01-2007, 11:01 AM
It works! It works!

Chelcio_Sargana
04-01-2007, 11:16 AM

Aw man you could have posted a way better April Fools than this!

*NEW* - Fixed a bug that was causing players to deal damage.

Pellegro
04-01-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm so tired of being jerked around by Turbine. How many frickin' chests did I fail to get maximum returns on because they DENIED this for so long?!?

I quit. Consider this my 2 week notice. Best of luck to you all. Pfft.

Monalisa
04-01-2007, 11:35 AM

You know....I find it disturbing when Samera starts a new thread and posts a bunch of untrue things. What has this game come to? :mad:

CrimsonEagle
04-01-2007, 11:37 AM
You know....I find it disturbing when Samera starts a new thread and posts a bunch of untrue things. What has this game come to? :mad:

Please tell me you are kidding. You are kidding right? This is April 1'st after all. You know....April Fool's day?

Roberto
04-01-2007, 11:47 AM
thanks for the grin - between that and the announced updated to lotro, it's been a fun day!

honkuimushi
04-01-2007, 11:52 AM

In the case that our best +CHA items are less than +4, is an Eagle's Splendor an acceptable substitute? In the case say a +2 or +3 item, which is better, the item or Eagle's? Finally, do odd numbers count. Eagerly awaiting further details.

:D

AscendedLord
04-01-2007, 12:14 PM
That totally makes sense! In addition, I've found that characters who have had their first name rerolled over 100,000 times get capped level loot in all chests! (Or was it 100,000,000 times?)

Archetype
04-01-2007, 12:18 PM

Ah....I believe you have this backwards Samera.

Circling counter-clockwise produces a "dispelling" effect in pagan rituals, while a clockwise pattern would produce the "summoning" effect desired for the appropriate kewl lootage. Unless the dispelling portion of the ritual is intended to work with the "looking for ham" step to get rid of any icky smoke flavoring that may remain in the ham material component. (Since we all know that "smoked ham is not real ham" around here...)

I will immediately forego levelling up any of my characters for the next month in order to devote all my time to field tests of this procedure. No, no, don't thank me: all for the greater good of an improved DDO experience.:p

Mad_Bombardier
04-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Yay, Charisma (http://www.cruisegazing.com/RPG_Motivational/charisma3.jpg)! :cool:

VonBek
04-01-2007, 12:34 PM
/me rolls eyes

This is compleatly silly, everyone knows all you need to do is /sleep with a chest to bypass all this nonsense.

two characters.

Hakushi
04-01-2007, 02:56 PM
And also, to have better loot, after you done the following steps, /death when targetting the chest also gives better loot. You must refuse the rez 4 times and accept the fifth, and the rez must come by scrolls, not from spell points or rings, otherwise you will get masterwork.

Gratch
04-01-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure about the LFH aspect, but I can add that coming into a quest late because RL "happened", especially to FBTG, guarantees better loot. Last week I saw a +5 dex ring and a shortsword banisher come out (the banisher was even the correct rr for said late person).

The corollary is that all the people who did the work while you were away, got items of deception, power III, or gear 6 levels lower than the effective quest level. My specific pain: "Oooh... dextrous boots and no worthless modifiers... hello +4 and or +5 stat item... +3... L7??!!! You have got to be !&#*(%@#%."

Also, let's not forget about improving your von6 raid loot by first ddooring to the front of von6 before opening the chest. The entire raid should do this to ensure the best loot. There's also something about getting hit by the Titan laser repetitively, though only Kargon knows the correct formula.

GlassCannon
04-01-2007, 04:43 PM
You guys are terrible. Making all the newbs frantic to test out this cool loot strategy

I love it. I knew at least someone in Turbine had a good sense of humor :D

Cutedge
04-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I like their LOTR (http://www.lotro.com/article/305) april fools joke a little better, but this one is still pretty good.

Question though, are you sure we shouldn't be flanking the chest?

Monalisa
04-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Please tell me you are kidding. You are kidding right? This is April 1'st after all. You know....April Fool's day?

Yea, I realized that shortly after I posted. See how easy I am to fool :rolleyes: .

Ziggy
04-01-2007, 10:05 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA......

mistharm
04-02-2007, 12:25 AM
You owe me a katana for this...

Does it really matter *why* they owe us a katana? <. .> My thoughts are "Gimme!" <,<

PurdueDave
04-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Samera...Can I qoute you in my sig?

RodneyT
04-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Samera forgot to mention that this only works if u take off your armor and weapons, and run the entire quest nude up to the chest.

Rodney the T
Proud Officer of the Brigade

darkgolem
04-02-2007, 09:41 AM

Considering how long it took to squash that rumor, this joke may be upon yourself. :>

sparty55
04-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I like their LOTR (http://www.lotro.com/article/305) april fools joke a little better, but this one is still pretty good.

Question though, are you sure we shouldn't be flanking the chest?

Haha Smurfs

studentx
04-04-2007, 12:36 PM
You have failed to mention the effect that /dance has on a chest with a high CHA.

Nae nae, its /dance2 and only works with diplomacy. :rolleyes:

Aesop
04-04-2007, 09:53 PM

ya know I didn't know aboutthe widdershins thing but other than that I was sure this was the case... mostly because I never do any of it and my loot performs certain actions to goats.

Aesop

Trixity
04-05-2007, 04:34 PM
ok, not fair. I saw this today and read it and almost fell out my chair.

Then I looked at the date. lol

EightyFour
04-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah I remember, first it was you had to use deplomacy on the chest and than it was you hade to have a high deplomacy when that one was running thin. I don't know what it went to after that.

"Who has the highest deplomacy guys, open the chest."

Riggs
04-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Awesome.

shiffd
04-08-2007, 11:27 PM

I heard that consuming an entire wand of cure critical on the chest (select chest with wand in hotbar and then heal the chest 50 times) raised the loot level by +1, but that may be a mith.

Tenkari_Rozahas
04-08-2007, 11:41 PM
I heard that consuming an entire wand of cure critical on the chest (select chest with wand in hotbar and then heal the chest 50 times) raised the loot level by +1, but that may be a mith.

as cure crit wands are not sold, you would be very lucky to run into a cure crit wand fully charged dropping in a quest.

Hvymetal
04-09-2007, 02:15 AM
I thought the only 2 sure ways to increase your chances of getting better loot were to a) cast grease on the chest, or b) cast Diminsion Door on the chest as it was being opened?

Indrn_Fretgoop
04-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Doing Xorian with some friends one of them was just being annoying and doing the sneak hump thing on me while I was looting. I got a chaos garde and a reaver ring!! /dance, dip, running around is nothing, hump your friends so they get the best loot!

Dashien_Sackett
04-09-2007, 09:04 AM

~can picture everyone doing all 4 things on a chest~ Well there goes the 5 min loot runs that just turned into 20 minutes!!! ~LMAO~ Nice samera

Cholera
04-09-2007, 10:03 AM
- Just an observation.

It is interesting that so many are willing to scoff at the notion that in a game riddled with flaws (most very minor but a couple major) the code might be so mixed up as to add npc scripts to chests. It is nice to see that level of scepticism, however. It's just too bad that it doesn't come out when it's really necessary, such as when, for example, a laughably weak case for war is being made.

For the record, when this rumour first developed during the beta, after trying it a few times, I dismissed it as just that - a rumour.

DragonKiller
04-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I just use /grovel & /beg. Seems to help, specially on my High CHA Pally.

Rokurgepta
04-09-2007, 11:50 AM
- Just an observation.

It is interesting that so many are willing to scoff at the notion that in a game riddled with flaws (most very minor but a couple major) the code might be so mixed up as to add npc scripts to chests. It is nice to see that level of scepticism, however. It's just too bad that it doesn't come out when it's really necessary, such as when, for example, a laughably weak case for war is being made.

For the record, when this rumour first developed during the beta, after trying it a few times, I dismissed it as just that - a rumour.

Keep the politics off the board.

Cholera
04-09-2007, 12:09 PM

It was a simple statement regarding the questionable level of critical thinking people are willing to employ while mocking others for precisely the same thing. If you think it had anything to do with politics, save for as the vehicle by which the example was historically played out then you've misunderstood the point behind the post.

craythegray
04-09-2007, 12:39 PM

I don't think he was brining polictics to the board. Just making an xample that the educated could understand.

Just my two cents.

Cray

Enas_Yorl
04-30-2007, 03:05 PM

Mas que nada!
:D

mushpuppy
05-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Funny.

Yvonne_Blacksword
05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
:(
But I do all this...and still my loot is the Stinxor....

Anybody know how to get rid of this curse of the spittle loot i have?

anybody?

Bueler?
:(

MrCow
05-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Anybody know how to get rid of this curse of the spittle loot i have?

Quest for the holy grail and loot it in a chest. I think that is a befitting curse removal for someone who is cursed by the chests... :p

You can always threaten to break the chest too. If it is a mimic in disguise it probably will fork over something nice.

Symar-FangofLloth
05-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Man, resurrecting an old thread?

I have only one thing to say to that, and it's an awesome video game quote.

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Next time make sure to say that first, okay? :p

Liminosse
05-14-2007, 01:40 PM
sweet, i did this last night in Drydens and got my +5 holy avenger :P

query
05-14-2007, 07:36 PM
+7 vorpral toothpick :)

sweet, i did this last night in Drydens and got my +5 holy avenger :P

Attuny
05-15-2007, 05:41 AM
Being in the military I have found a way that helps me deal the all the garbage pulled from the chest. I may just have to incorperate this into the method that Samera stated and do some testing.

I salute every chest before I open it and check my loot. Since 99.9% of the time the loot is worthless it reminds me a lot of Officers. When I first see them I salute them and carry on. Later on I find out exactly what they are good for....

samagee
06-18-2007, 11:55 AM
I think Turbine should throw in a new quest, something like fight for an audience with a jinni. If you make it to meet the jinni, you have to entertain said jinni. The entertainment factor could be random, and the reward random depending on the entertainment factor met.

Venger
06-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Man, resurrecting an old thread?

I have only one thing to say to that, and it's an awesome video game quote.

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Next time make sure to say that first, okay? :p

Reference to Altered Beast by any chance?

"Rise from your grave, and rescue my daughter" The and rescue my daughter part is considerably quieter than the first part (In the Sega Genesis version).

Skyhawk
06-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Dooh! Been using intimidate

Epsilom
06-20-2007, 10:37 AM
i tend to use the /grovel command on the fire giant general...
then /angry :p

Bobbyd
06-21-2007, 10:09 AM
During loot weekend leveling up my newb me and a guildy was grouped with a pug. As we were about to open the chest i heard over voice chat, "Anyone want eagle splendor". Needless to say I almost fell out my chair laughing..

It was a good laugh, made me realize what a fun game this is...

Castlehawk
06-21-2007, 11:41 AM
The devs are trying to confuse you all....

Simple way to insure uber loot: Have your caster put up a symbol of persuasion over the chest. Have each character open the chest while under the symbol. +3 tomes were dropping all weekend.

Ishturi
06-21-2007, 07:54 PM
wow... thread resurrection!

at any rate, everyone knows casting Ddoor on the chest after everyone gathers around it is the best way to get loot.

borgec
06-21-2007, 08:53 PM
We were using a Paladin sacrifice before opening the final chest in POP. Worked every time.

Beatem
07-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Sure he COULD be joking...but then again...(as he equips +cha items , cirlces three times counterclockwise and opens all chest from north facing side..)
Can any of us afford to be sure he was joking?...

:)