PDA

View Full Version : A Barbarians observations on DPS and And Tanking

Bloodmech
03-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Before I Begin, I apoligise or any spelling errors, I have been playing sence head start however, this is only my 2nd post so please forgive my ineptatude.

I am unsure if this is the proper forem to post this However my gaol is to submit any observations on both DPS and tanking, this should help reasders in the creation of melee classes.

I will not be writing this entire artical at once(I type slow) but insted I will poast simi-regular mods.

One last note, This is not only my artical plese fell free to contribute. I only ask that if you have a statement to make please stateit in your reply tital, if you have a argument plese state that.

Bloodmech
03-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Defanitions: in order to speak of a subject we must define the subject.

DPS charicter; a charicter who forgoes defencein order to cause the most damage possable.
Pros;Able to cause more damage,more freedom of movement, greater weapon selection (TWF,THW),more bragging rights lol, less need to "babysit" squishies, kill mor
Cons; less hp, less ap, less nessisarry to a many parties,die more

Tank: a charicter who absorbes damage and "saves the squishies" aka wall sacrafices attack.
Pros. Dies less, More AC and/or HP, more usefull in caster heavy groups, require lessrapid fingre movement.
Cons; less glory, less to hit, relient on damage dealers, suck up heals.

these are all opinions, fell free to disagree

Rydlic
03-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Defanitions: in order to speak of a subject we must define the subject.

DPS charicter; a charicter who forgoes defencein order to cause the most damage possable.
Pros;Able to cause more damage,more freedom of movement, greater weapon selection (TWF,THW),more bragging rights lol, less need to "babysit" squishies, kill mor
Cons; less hp, less ap, less nessisarry to a many parties,die more

Tank: a charicter who absorbes damage and "saves the squishies" aka wall sacrafices attack.
Pros. Dies less, More AC and/or HP, more usefull in caster heavy groups, require lessrapid fingre movement.
Cons; less glory, less to hit, relient on damage dealers, suck up heals.

these are all opinions, fell free to disagree

DPS machines will most likely forgo ac for damage (buy using two weapon, or two handed) but most Barbarians that do make up for it by having 100+ more HP than the comprable fighter.

Although they do not have the finess of a fighter, or the feets, you can get a good middle ground with a Barbarian if you take the time to get the right equipment. Have my Barb, at lvl 8 has an AC of 38, and can self buff to 40, and sitting at 201 hp with no false life. I have a +19 to hit (+4 Acid Dwarf Axe) doing 16-25 a swing. I keep haste pots and haste clicky to boost attack speed. I can rage and add 16 hp and +2 attack and damage (no rage enhancements).

Barbarians can dish out the damage and hold the line long after a fighter has to pull back, but they are best placed into the fight right after the fighter so they do not get the first agro.

Don't forget, you get trip as well and trip is good.

The_Cataclysm
03-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Last time I check barbarians had as many feet as fighters did. :)

khaldan
03-31-2007, 11:27 AM
in normal feats (take whatever you want feats) yes, you are right, a fighter gets the same smount. but, the fighter gets another bonus feat that can be chosen from a fairly large list, and so gets a feat at 1,2,3,4,6,8,9,10,12, and soon to be 14. our good friend the barb gets a feat at 1,3,6,9,12. i think the fighter gets more feats, but thats whythe barbarian has specioal abilities to use, like rage.

dmitri
04-01-2007, 06:31 AM
I think our sarcastic friend was making a play on spelling... feet vs feat...

I think I failed my saving throw vs. puns... oh wait, that was 2E...

Bloodmech
04-01-2007, 08:05 AM
THis is not about Barbarians...it is a barbarians observations(mine)talk about any DPS charicter plese

again forgive the spelling