PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Warpriest Build Past Level 10

Rkik_Dnec
03-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Ok, I just hit level 10 with my warpriest and I need some advice.

My starting stats were (from memory, they're close if not perfect):
STR: 16
DEX: 10
CON: 12
WIS: 15
INT: 8
CHA: 12

Now I put my two stat increases into STR. If I remember correctly my Strength is now at about 23, and my Wisdom is at 20-ish.

Now that I've played him for a while I realize that I shouldn't have taken the 12 charisma, because I didn't even take DV until after this last update, and even now I barely use it. But I'm not about to re-roll him now.

My question revolves around Crowd Control. I know my Wis is rather low, but I'd like to be able to do some decent CC at least on normal difficulties. I'm not expecting to hit everything on Elite. My plan was to put my level 12 stat increase into Wis (as well as every stat increase after 12), and then pick up either Spell Penetration or Heighten Spell as my level 12 feat. I was originally going to take Extra Turns, but I just don't think it's worth it. I was also going to try and fit the Spell Penetration enhancements into the build as well, probably replacing the DVs.

Is it worth it though? Will this even get me enough so that I can do some decent CC, or will it just be a waste? Also, which is better Spell Penetration or Heighten? I would assume SP is better for high level spells, but Heighten is better for the low level ones. I'm sure I'll end up with both eventually, but which would be more useful at level 12?

Thanks.

Cowdenicus
03-26-2007, 11:05 AM
First off, your CC will be worthless at elite. My wisdom is 28 and I feel my character was gimped enough to reroll.

33 wisdom here i come.

Rkik_Dnec
03-26-2007, 11:11 AM
First off, your CC will be worthless at elite. My wisdom is 28 and I feel my character was gimped enough to reroll.

33 wisdom here i come.

Which is why I don't plan on CC-ing at elite.

This is mostly for normal and maybe hard.

This character was designed as kind of a Jack-of-all-trades type that can heal, fight and CC. At least at normal. For elite quests, I expect to go more into healer mode and not worry as much about the CC.

If I had more time I would reroll, but I've been playing this character for 6 months now, and really don't want to start over.

PurdueDave
03-26-2007, 03:32 PM
My feat plan at 12+ for my melee/support cleric is power attack, imp crit slash, toughness, khopesh. That assumes a level of fighter in the distant future. Without fighter I need to ditch one. I chose power attack at 12. The one I least like is khopesh mainly because I don't want to share between my toons that much.

edit - the feats I had already (human) were extend, emp heal, extra turns, mt, imt

ethsar46
08-14-2007, 07:00 PM
I have a lvl 14 Warpriest of my own, personally id put points into WIS.

My cleric can hit 25 STR with a +6 item, +2 tome and rage. Which is more then enough. Besides at elite i find im just a healer anyway. And a lvl 14 i really dont find myself fighting too much unless im with guildies and theres another cleric in the group.

Secondly, why would you CC as a cleric? especially with such a low WIS aswell. You really do need to have a high 'Casting' Stat to be able to land on mosters at the higher end, even more so on elite. Id just leave that to the wiz/sorc/bards to do.

My 2 cents.

sigtrent
08-14-2007, 07:33 PM
I'd go for it.

I think the way to do it is get some wisdom, and take the feat Heighten.

Mem Greater Command, Commetfall, and Sound Burst. Heightened they all have the same DC and each has a different save stat (will/reflex/fort respectively). This way you can use the spell that's going to play against your targets weakest saves and it will help get around your Wis deficit.

Placenta
08-15-2007, 03:05 AM
Several ways of being a warpriest. Sounds like you want to melee with yours. I did one like that and scratched it at lvl 9. Did self healing combo melee builds or pally if I was wanting to melee and self heal. As a cleric it just didn't seem like I had that great of a attack. I have seen some dex based melee clerics that two hand or range pretty well plus have evasion in combo with rogue or ranger.
My build Wisdom/Con cleric. (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=117852)I did just a couple of months ago was my damaging/cc guy with some pretty high healing ability. Does not melee well but does not need to. Can command/wraths order/commet fall(trip)/symbol of stunning the appropriate high lvl mobs on elite/norm with very high success. Does high damage with heals/commetfalls/harms/blade barriers from 200-1000 pts of damage. Has high surviveability through high concentration for self healing or just fearing/debuffing the mob with certain items.
I am sure some ppl would argue that you can melee with a cleric. I am sure you can but if melee is your thing then make a good melee build. Since you are not worried about quests beyond normal then I guess you could melee well enough. If you go high dex and duel wield you can puncture the stuff you command or hold. Do not forget that summon earth elemental does get holds on certain mobs quite frequently. Automatic crits. If you are staying str based then I would suggest trying to get your hands on the tenderizer from the reaver.
Drops quite frequently and the passive stun on it goes off quite often. Free crits yet again. Have had 3 clerics and this build is my favorite still. Has no to hit but does not need it. When I do command/cc something in place I can drop a rage/haste/hero pots, cast divine favor/recite/divine power/aid. She does not get a crazy boost to hit but enough of one to disrupt/debuff/puncture a mob to death. If you did not want to go that route I will command/stun/trip/hold with spells and just go through picking off one by one with Destruct/slayliving. If mana is your concern do not worry. If you do that expect to call out of a quest several times for mana lol. I do. Does not matter when you are capped.
If you were wanting a type of cleric build to solo stuff with you have a ton of other options. Everyone plays diff. Hope you get one that works for ya.

Grenfell
08-15-2007, 01:30 PM
My question revolves around Crowd Control. I know my Wis is rather low, but I'd like to be able to do some decent CC at least on normal difficulties. I'm not expecting to hit everything on Elite. My plan was to put my level 12 stat increase into Wis (as well as every stat increase after 12), and then pick up either Spell Penetration or Heighten Spell as my level 12 feat. I was originally going to take Extra Turns, but I just don't think it's worth it. I was also going to try and fit the Spell Penetration enhancements into the build as well, probably replacing the DVs.

Is it worth it though? Will this even get me enough so that I can do some decent CC, or will it just be a waste? Also, which is better Spell Penetration or Heighten? I would assume SP is better for high level spells, but Heighten is better for the low level ones. I'm sure I'll end up with both eventually, but which would be more useful at level 12?

Thanks.

Just my opinion on this, since my own 32pt warpriest has more Wis than you do at 28.

I'd say focus on melee/healing which is the original intent of the Warpriest build. If you're looking to do significant offensive casting, another template is slightly better suited to it (The Dwarven Shaman build is particularly good for it, IMHO).

I would just go with Improved Crit at 12. On Elite difficulty, there are few places where you'll be called upon for all sorts of offensive casting in any event. You'll have your hands full with just healing and keeping Divine Favor/Divine Power up for fights.

Finally, with 15 Wis, you're looking at 28 buffed Wis at max:

15 +1 (lvl 12) + 3 (cleric wis III) + 1 (human wis) + 6 (item) + 2 (favor tome)

It isn't the 32 that a human casting cleric could get, but it's only a difference of +2 DC.

With 28 Wis, you can Destruction casters and other low-fort-save mobs with reasonable reliability.

If you're looking to combine combat with offensive casting, look for the Shaman type platforms with max Wis, high Str and Con.

/gren