PDA

View Full Version : What spells do you keep memorized?

WeiQuinn
03-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Well, with the new Enhancements I took Ranger Devotion I and II to qualify for some higher Enhancements that required X AP be spent before purchase. At the time, I didn't realize that Devotion doesn't affect Wand healing.

In the better interest of trying to make lemonade out of lemons, I think I will start keeping Cure Moderate Wounds memorized. Right now I have Cure Disease and Neutralize Poison memorized along with Barkskin, Bear's Endurance, Jump and Resist Energy.

I find that I only use Barkskin, Jump and Bear's Endurance 90% of the time. The other spells seem to be fluff. There's usually a Sorcerer/Wizard or Cleric to cast Resists (I'll fill in if necessary) and I have wands for Neutralize Poison and Remove Disease.

By the way, can you buy Neutralize Poison and Remove Disease wands? I've never looked and the ones I have came from chests.

Plus, with MOD 4 coming and new spells, I really am going to have to rethink my spells.

Freedom of Movement as a level 4 spell along with Cure Seious Wounds.
I may wind up keeping Cure Moderate Wounds and Summon Nature's Ally III memorized as well. My level 1 and level 2 spells will remain the same.

Enough rambling... what do you fellow Rangers keep memorized?

Kerbear
03-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Jump
Resists
Barkskin
Protection
Neutralize Poison
Remove Disease

I use these pretty much all the time. I carry a lot of wands with me and top myself off as much as possible.

I don't like using the heal spells, because I have a very small mana pool to work with. So I'd rather use the points on Jump and Barkskin mainly and an occassional Resist/Prot.

Blazer
03-13-2007, 02:32 AM
Jump, Resist
Barkskin, Protection
Remove Disease, Cure Moderate Wounds (only used in emergencies)

I use Neut. Poison wands on party members as needed. I have a Proof vs. Poison ring, so that's why I don't need to memorize that one. With the new enhancement system I'm around 270 SPs (I sleep with my Shortsword of the Magi at the shrine) so I can use the Cure Mod spell sometimes.

Sojourner
03-13-2007, 07:49 AM
My Rogue/Ranger:
Jump, Resist
Barkskin, Protection
CMW

My Pure Ranger:
Jump, Resist
Barkskin, CLW
CMW, Remove Disease

The cure line is pretty much for emergencies, when I need to get someone up quick and don't want to spend time swapping to a wand, or I'm running low on healing pots myself.

The Remove disease is just because there wasn't anything else to take. Maybe once the new spells come out in mod 4 I'll get something else.

My pure ranger may swap CLW for Protection just because sometimes its nice to have those extra points on top of the resistance. Especially if you're going to be playing with lava.

Mad_Bombardier
03-13-2007, 11:32 AM
My Rogue/Ranger:
Jump, Resist
Barkskin, Protection
CMW

The cure line is pretty much for emergencies, when I need to get someone up quick and don't want to spend time swapping to a wand, or I'm running low on healing pots myself.Same for my 11Ranger/1Cleric, except that I have an ImpDevotion3 item, now have DevotionII enhancement, and 400SP. So, I'm a pretty good backup/emergency healer for the party (CMW = 19-39 HP/ 20SP).

Mandinga
03-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Currently

Level 1
Resist
Jump (Camouflage if I'm soloing)

Level 2
Barkskin
Protection

Level 3
Neutralize Poison
Cure Moderate Wounds

After Mod 4 at Level 14

Level 1
Resist
Jump
Camoflauge

Level 2
Barkskin
Spikegrowth or Snare (Both are kind of cool)

Level 3
Sumon Nature's Ally III
Cure Moderate Wounds (Wild Instincts if I'm soloing)

Level 4
Freedom of Movement

Osharan_Tregarth
03-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Spells now...
Level 1 Jump and resist energy

Level 2 Barkskin and bear's endurance(I'll swap for Protect energy if I find a decent con ring)

Level 3 Cure mod(mostly for when I'm soloing, or a quick emergency heal to get someone back up) and cure disease or poison(depending on the quest)

By the way, can you buy Neutralize Poison and Remove Disease wands? I've never looked and the ones I have came from chests.

I'm pretty sure(not absolutely) that you can buy remove disease wands, but not neutralize poison wands.

Valiena
03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
1. Resist Energy, Long Strider.
2. Barskin, Prot from Energy
3. Neutralize posion, Cure mod.

I have 354 sp, and extend spell. I put a bark and resist fire (usually) on the whole group when I get in quest. Then longstrider myself (no striding item). It is best for Rangers to cast resist. It costs less sp (ours is 10, everyone else's is 15), and saves the caster from doing it, allowing him to cast more haste, or CC etc.
Neutralize posion is for other people, and protection is so I can swim in lava lil bit in Demon Raid.
When we get mass longstrider, I will swap out longstrider for jump.

Mackle
03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Now:
L1 - Resist, Jump (I'll sometimes replace jump with camo or longstrider)
L2 - Barkskin, Protect
L3 - CMW, Neutralize Poison

At L14 (assuming 3/2/2/1):
L1 - Resist, Camo, Jump (or Longstrider)
L2 - Barkskin, Spike Growth (unless it ends up pointless, then back to Protection)
L3 - CMW, Neutralize Poison
L4 - Freedom of Movement

Valiena hit it on the button with resist. Ours is the cheapest there is, SP-wise. I only wish the arcanes would remember that and stop casting theirs over mine.

With 344 SP, Devotion 4 enhancemnt, and Superior Dev 3 item, I use CMW more often than wands. Since an extended barkskin typically lasts longer than it takes to get to the next shrine (or finish the quest), I see no reason to burn cash on a good wand unless I have to.

Camo and Jump... situationally useful, but more fillers waiting for them to figure out how to code some of the other L1 Ranger spells.

Neutralize Poison... the duration is what makes it preferrable to Remove Disease IMO. I keep a disease wand handy for the off chance I need it.

As far as the new Summon line goes: If they're anything like the current ones, they'll be more a novelty than anything (unless they have a nice side effect like the earth elemental).

Turial
03-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Currently with 375 sp I have the following spells memorized:

Jump
Resistance to elements
Cure light wounds
Bark skin
Cure moderate wounds
Cure disease

My level 4 spell will be freedom of movement and I will eventually play around with the new summon spells and the cc spells that rangers get.

Sceadeau
03-15-2007, 07:25 AM
1: Jump, Resist
2: Barkskin, Protection
3: Neutralize Poison, CMW

I have 293 spell points, no devotion items or enhancements, I honestly keep CMW racked because the rest of our spells are junk. I can drink wine when I die and CMW myself in the tavern to quickly run back.

I typically tell the clerics that if they DV me, I'll take care of the resists. Ours is the cheapest to cast, so you get more resists per DV than casters will.

The new pets are actually pretty good. I tested the lioness (third level natural ally) and brought her with me into threnal. She was tripping giants like they were kobolds. If the fourth level ally can do that with an even higher strength, it might be a toss up between that and freedom of movement. The damage was minimal, but I'd rather a trip monkey that doesn't draw agro than a dead pet.

Yvonne_Blacksword
03-15-2007, 10:52 AM
...let me see...
Hypnotism... hypnotic sphere...ottos magic disco ball...hold person...sound burst...fascinate...

Oh, wait! you said keep memorized not keep me mesmerized!
oops! my bad!

Dasha
03-16-2007, 02:57 PM
1st. Resist and Jump - (Camo for rare occasions)
2nd. Barky and Protect - Protect works great on caster names who throw big spells at the get go
3rd. Cure Mod and Cure Disease - Mod for emergencies and disease because I dont have wands of it..

I have 287 sp and I generally keep my groups barked all the time and if needed jump and resist. My mana is all for buffs if I can save cleric or caster sp with them I will.. I also carry 3 cure serious wands at all times and dont hesitate to stop in the middle of a fight n help out or even down time heal again every sp I can save for a comet fall or greater comand the better. but then again Im just an old shaman :p

Osharan_Tregarth
03-16-2007, 04:56 PM
I just thought I'd put something out there for the people that use longstrider on a regular basis...

The level 1 scrolls costs somewhere under 50 g, and each cast from the scroll lasts six minutes.... I'd say pick up a stack of 100, and grab something else for your spell.

chkm8ter
03-19-2007, 08:18 AM
1st - Jump and resist
2nd - Barkskin and protection
3rd - Neutralize Poison and Cure Disease

Yeah, it's too bad that Devotion does not effect wands. In hopes that it would I made the mistake of going all the way to Greater Devotion. Now I need to respec again :(

I don't usually memorize the cure spells instead I carry wands.

Cinwulf
03-20-2007, 11:10 AM
For my ranger/rogue/fighter 8/3/1

camo
barkskin
jump

AloneOnTheRange
08-14-2007, 10:25 PM
No level 2 spells yet, I'm still young.

I find Camo to be nice - that little extra bonus when trying to evade when soloing or I can help in a party. Reminds me of the predator movies, too.

Then next is the summon wolf. Also helps when soloing, for the wolf sniffs out the bad ones before I get clobbered. Too bad the wolf is only around for a few monents. It really saved me one time, I was only level 4 and I was battling a shaman, I got held, but the wolf kept fighting, until I was able to move again. That was a close one. Got to invest in a ring of resist.

I would really like to have to wolf around longer, and be able to heal me if I get below 0 HP. Then the ranger would really be a powerful solo class.