PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Spell Defense

Raelg14
03-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Question for all, does Dwarven Spell Defense stack with Resistance Items, such as +3 Rings of Resistance? Thanks for any information.

Mackle
03-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Yes.

But... Neither the inherent racial bonus, nor the enhancement work on all spells. So don't neglect your saves thinking it's covered with the enhancement. There are still a few that aren't covered (I think curse is one of them).

Raelg14
03-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks just making sure, as a Dwarf Fighter I need all the help with Will saves I can get. :) And yes I have the Nightforge Helm.

Drailog
07-31-2007, 07:44 AM
hmmm Curse is a spell, Dwarves have an innate resistance to spells and spell like abilities... so why are there spells that our innate resist and the enhancement to increase our innate resist do not work? Turbine... get it together and try to at least make our stuff works correctly........ as per your descriptions

+2 saving throw bonus against spells: Dwarves have an innate resistance to magic spells. (this is also supposed to also be spell like abilities straight from the Eberron Core Book and the 3.5 Player's Handbook)

Dwarven Spell Defense I Grants a +1 bonus to saves against spells and magical effects.
Action Points: 1

So please explain to me why this does not work on Beholder's abilities, Mind Flayer's Abilities Curse and sooo many others?

Shade
08-19-2007, 01:57 AM
Yes.

But... Neither the inherent racial bonus, nor the enhancement work on all spells. So don't neglect your saves thinking it's covered with the enhancement. There are still a few that aren't covered (I think curse is one of them).

Hmm? My enhancement stacks with everything, including the inherent racial bonus.

Also it works fine vs mind flayer blasts and beholder spells. I save on mind flayer blast evne if I roll a 2, and im a barbarian with a base will of 4. Beholder ppl think there saves seem low vs because keep in mind they dispell first (-4 saves there no greater hero, then they enervate u further lowering your saves, so its pretty hard to keep track of what ur save should be but it does work)

Curse seems to be a special thingy that lands allot cuz its designed to lower ur spells, eh not a big deal anyways.

Drailog
09-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Well alls I know is since i have noticed that the Dwarves +4 to saving throws never happens on my main, Drailog, or my alts, Glosur and Tordekk I have been keeping a close watch on stuff.

I am about to spend the next week of intentionally deaths figuring out which spells and spell like abilities do NOT take the dwarven magic resistance into factor.

So far I have found
Mind Flayer Mind Blast
Curse
Bane

When I notice my save not increased by 4 when a monster uses an ability on me, I pull out my Monster Manuals and look to see if the ability is Supernatural(SU) or a Spell-like ability(SP). I should not get a +4 for Su but I should get a +4 vs spells and spell-like abilities.

RandomToon
09-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Well alls I know is since i have noticed that the Dwarves +4 to saving throws never happens on my main, Drailog, or my alts, Glosur and Tordekk I have been keeping a close watch on stuff.

I am about to spend the next week of intentionally deaths figuring out which spells and spell like abilities do NOT take the dwarven magic resistance into factor.

So far I have found
Mind Flayer Mind Blast
Curse
Bane

When I notice my save not increased by 4 when a monster uses an ability on me, I pull out my Monster Manuals and look to see if the ability is Supernatural(SU) or a Spell-like ability(SP). I should not get a +4 for Su but I should get a +4 vs spells and spell-like abilities.

Technically, Mind Blast is a psionic effect, and such is not subject to dispell, spell resistance, and dwarven spell save bonus. That is PnP though. I don't know how it is coded here - maybe it is a bug, maybe not, just something to think about.

Bane and curse should not be affected that way, and should get full resistance. Not sure why it doesn't.

query
01-08-2008, 02:00 AM
"Dern it, you squishie wiz/erer, cast that Flesh to Stone on that eyebeast, and I'll stonecut it for ya'"!

sparty55
02-16-2009, 08:10 AM
has there been a definitive answer to this yet?

Shade
05-14-2009, 10:42 PM
It works against every spell... Mostly.

Here is a screenshot of it working against bestow curse, and partially against cometfall trip: http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4012/screenshot01839.jpg

Note my chars will save (15) and the save roll +18. He has 1 rank of dwarven spell resistance, and the base of 2, for +3.

And the reflex save, 20.. But +23 vs the damage portion of cometfall, and just +20 vs the trip portion.. Very odd.

One thing that doesn't seem to work against the curse is morale bonus to willsave from rage.. That or it doesnt stack with my dwarven spell resistance.. Same roll while raged.