PDA

View Full Version : Bidding Error=Flushing 1yr down the can

Captain_Morgan
03-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I was bidding today on a +4 Adamantine shield at 35,000 plat when the suggested incremantal bid was coming back as too low I typoed in 359,000 plat. I took a screen-shot and request #160,177. DM Indy sais there was nothing he could do. How is this possible I will loose all of my money on an honest error. The last bid was 34,000 (aprox) I am not trying to get out of a bidding war. This was an honest mistake. Is this how a year's worth of loyal paying to play since the head-start is going to end????????? Sureshot(in game)

Muppethero
03-08-2007, 10:37 PM
I think you are just SoL. It is in no way DDO fault that you in a rush of excitment in getting an item you wanted did not bid correctly. if you leave a game over your own mistake then i guess thats just something we will have to live with.
on the other hand.. just think of the day you made for the guy selling the item lol.

Rokurgepta
03-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I was bidding today on a +4 Adamantine shield at 35,000 plat when the suggested incremantal bid was coming back as too low I typoed in 359,000 plat. I took a screen-shot and request #160,177. DM Indy sais there was nothing he could do. How is this possible I will loose all of my money on an honest error. The last bid was 34,000 (aprox) I am not trying to get out of a bidding war. This was an honest mistake. Is this how a year's worth of loyal paying to play since the head-start is going to end????????? Sureshot(in game)

You actually think the GMs can help you with that one?

theblaz
03-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Sorry that happened, but there's nothing they can nor should do.

It was your own error. Sorry it happened, but there it is.

Amethyst_Dragon
03-08-2007, 11:38 PM
I think this is why I can never win anything in an auction! :p

LOUDRampart
03-09-2007, 02:00 AM
I think you should find out who sold that item. Then contact them in game and ask for your money back because you obviously made a mistake.

I would like to be present when you get your answer back from that player. :D

Dariuss
03-09-2007, 02:53 AM
I 100% agree this sucks, but it's also 100% your fault.

Asking for a GM to help you with this is like asking a GM to credit your death penalty because you ran off the cliff on the way to the Leaky Dinghy.

dkrustyklown
03-09-2007, 03:28 AM
35,000 plat as a lot of money for a +4 adamantine shield anyways...

...a little overpriced, don't you think?

sieg33
03-09-2007, 05:31 AM

Well whoever is selling that item is bound to be very happy. LOL.

Dane_McArdy
03-09-2007, 07:00 AM
It probably was a simple mistake on your part, you seem honest in your posting.

However, not everyone is, and saddly, they have to error on the side of caution, because many people aren't that honest. Which stinks, but that's the society we live in.

MysticTheurge
03-09-2007, 07:46 AM
It's absurd that auction-posters can cancel their auctions right up unto the last second of the auction, but auction-buyers have absolutely no recourse for mistakes like this.

BurnerD
03-09-2007, 07:50 AM
This is a perfect example of why a bid cancellation system needs to be added.

Ebay doesn't hold you to your error if you bid 1000.00 on an item you meant to bid 10.00 on.. you have the option to retract your bid.

Steiner-Davion
03-09-2007, 07:51 AM
What really sucks is When you click on the Bid button and nothing happens, so you wait a few seconds for the lag monster o go away and click again, and still nothing, so you wait a few and click again and now you've just out bid yourself twice for that item.

akla_thornfist
03-09-2007, 07:52 AM
I feel for you man, hopefully the person who sold it comes to the forums sees this and returns you some cash i know i would.

flowmaster
03-09-2007, 07:54 AM
If the person placing the auction is allowed to pull his item up to the last minute, then the person bidding should be allowed to pull his bid. 'nuff said.

Tulmeel
03-09-2007, 08:02 AM
This is really sad. I think a typing mistake should be retractable for a set period of time like 5 min and no closer than 30 min to Auction end.
That would still make is suseptable to abuse but still compassionate.

Broto
03-09-2007, 08:05 AM
This is really sad. I think a typing mistake should be retractable for a set period of time like 5 min and no closer than 30 min to Auction end.
That would still make is suseptable to abuse but still compassionate.

Actually a pop up window should ask, "are you sure?" before making a bid. This could be a feature you could able/disable in options.

tihocan
03-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Sucks :(
I never got enough money to reach this point, but I told to myself a while ago that as soon as I'd reach 100k pp, I would transfer half of it to a mule character to avoid AH problems like this (another one is when people put absurd prices, e.g. in a bidding war, and you may not notice it, missing one zero in it...).
Until they implement a way to cancel your bids, it's better IMHO to play it safe and not walk with too much money with you.

And if I were you, I'd post a message in my server forums and hope the seller hears about it and is a nice person... that's all I think you can do.

Delixious
03-09-2007, 08:23 AM
I have actually cancelled an auction, when I saw the bidding get inflated, I believe in error. I had an item that should have sold for around 50k gold, it was approaching that mark when I went to bed, and when I woke up, it was @ 650k. This could have been a bidding war, but I seriously doubt it for the item. There were a couple of hours left, so I waited, and no more bids were placed. I cancelled the auction, to give the person a chance to get their money back. The auction later sold for around 60k (like I thought it would). Even though it would be nice to have that amount of plat, it wouldnt be worth ruining someone elses day....

my 2c

D

Rydlic
03-09-2007, 08:28 AM
I have actually cancelled an auction, when I saw the bidding get inflated, I believe in error. I had an item that should have sold for around 50k gold, it was approaching that mark when I went to bed, and when I woke up, it was @ 650k. This could have been a bidding war, but I seriously doubt it for the item. There were a couple of hours left, so I waited, and no more bids were placed. I cancelled the auction, to give the person a chance to get their money back. The auction later sold for around 60k (like I thought it would). Even though it would be nice to have that amount of plat, it wouldnt be worth ruining someone elses day....

my 2c

D

Your good and honest.

I can hope that this person gets that kind of help.

Oh and 35,000 pp for a Ada Sheild... What is the point?

Jhoran
03-09-2007, 08:45 AM
seems like the least a gm could do is send an in game mail to the person selling the item with a quick :

player X has accidenteally placed an extremely large bid on your auction Y.

If you would like to help player X; please cancel your auction or work something out with him.

If not; enjoy the freebie

Riddikulus
03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
What really sucks is When you click on the Bid button and nothing happens, so you wait a few seconds for the lag monster o go away and click again, and still nothing, so you wait a few and click again and now you've just out bid yourself twice for that item.
It doesn't work that way. You can't outbid yourself.

You eventually should get a bunch of "You are already the high bidder!" error messages for each of your extra clicks.

Zenix_Leviticus
03-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I feel your pain as I bought a improved fire resist cloak for 86,000 plat
the exact same way.

The devs told me the same thing.

Since then, I am a mean AH participant. I watch what I type real close and
I use the auction house for everything.

I bet I have made 100,000 platinum, just from the AH, since making my
mistake.

Now my guild always sends me a tell asking if I will buy their Improved xxx
cloak for 86k plat everytime someone finds one.

sigtrent
03-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Sory to hear of the mistake.. not fun.

But it is probably a bit difficult for them to fix that problem, not impossible but if they did that sort of thing for everyone it would take them an absurd amount of time fiddling with the game data and they risk being used by unscrupulous players etc...

I believe canceling bids is on the mod 4 list of new features, but I could be remembering something else.

That seems like a huge amount of plan to pay for a shield, are you sure you mean plat and not gold? 30K gold sounds a lot more like the going price of a +4 shield.

Morilmen
03-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Even with an "Are you sure?" dialog, people will still get click happy and make bids they didn't want to. The problem is having the prompt every time you make a bid. It is always there so it is easy to get in the habbit of just clicking it.

What I would suggest is to only ask "Are you sure?" if the new bid is a set amount above the last bid. With that change, the only time you see "Are you sure?" is if you make a wild bid.

As an example with the limit is set to 500pp (add it to the options so players can set it to what they want). The item is currently at 50pp and you make a bid of 55pp then you will see nothing special. However, if you bid 550pp making the difference 500pp (or more) you will get an "Are you sure?" prompt. This will get your attention much better because it is not what you normally see.

Mercules
03-09-2007, 11:19 AM

Hmmm... you would think an old Battletech player would have learned the value of patience. ;)

SirDoc
03-09-2007, 11:25 AM
I didnt read the whole thread..
If you have problems bidding on an item, hit the search button again and make sure it's still there and whatnot

UtherSRG
03-09-2007, 12:43 PM

You can not outbid yourself. It is likely that someone else was bidding at the same time you were, and you outbid their outbid of you.

UtherSRG
03-09-2007, 12:45 PM
<sarcasm>

Hey! Someone just paid 359k for this +4 Addy Shield I was selling!!!!!1111101011

</sarcasm>

Chardros
03-09-2007, 01:02 PM
seems like the least a gm could do is send an in game mail to the person selling the item with a quick :

player X has accidenteally placed an extremely large bid on your auction Y.

If you would like to help player X; please cancel your auction or work something out with him.

If not; enjoy the freebie

This would be a nice solution, but it would take time that the GMs don't seem to have. It seems like they are only there to tell you that they can't help you, and then mark the ticket resolved. They probably have ticket quotas or something like that.

Another option would be to give the bidder the option to cancel their bid and have it go back to the previous high bidder. I'm not sure what they could do to stop the abuse of this though. Maybe give the player 2 minutes to retract the bid, and don't allow it in the last 30 minutes of the auction or something like that. While, this wouldn't completely eliminate the OP's problem, it would cut down on people not being able to recover from mistakes by a large percentage.

maloriq
03-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Sorry bud, thems the breaks.

As someone else said, look at it as a learning experience. At least its fake money, not real dollars.

Whenever you buy something, type any dollar, etc. just remember your typo and the hours of play it cost you.

Its better to learn in DDO than on the job as an accountant, thats for sure.

Steiner-Davion
03-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Hmmm... you would think an old Battletech player would have learned the value of patience. ;)

Yes, BattleTech does teach patience to those that are willing to learn. And It has taught me a lot about patience. :D

Cowdenicus
03-09-2007, 02:03 PM
This absolutely sucks. A bidder should be able to retract a bid like a seller can retract an item. Or neither should be able to happen.

Like my grandmammy used to say, what is good for the goose, is good for the gander.

Conejo
03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
In-Game:Argonnessen
Sureshot
Subzero
Matrix
Ms Esterhouse

i'm more surprised the DM didn't force a name change since you're so partial to EULA violations.

i guess just another accident of judgement.

Ranmaru2
03-09-2007, 03:04 PM
i'm more surprised the DM didn't force a name change since you're so partial to EULA violations.

i guess just another accident of judgement.

You know there's really nothing they can do about that right? You can't copyright a name, only trademark it, and I don't think they're going to pick out every little instance, because then who'd want to play if they need to spend an hour researching where their character's name could possibly come up with...

Chardros: I believe it more to be that the GMs are just lazy. I've seen a situation occur with my brother in Gwylan's that could have been solved by the GM just ending the quest and giving them the XP they would have gotten anyways, but they didn't do it. (They couldn't put the last House P container in the last set of boxes, as the boxes weren't showing up as interactable).

As for the typing error in the bid...While you have a noble claim to post it on the forums like you have, it really is 100% your fault for typing too fast or acting too fast to put that bid in. I've overpaid for an item before, the auction was only at 1.5kpp and I tried to type 2kpp but ended up typing 20kpp. I realized it was a waste at the time, but now I still use that item as it did turn out to be useful in the long run. If you get too excited, then it's really just your fault for typing really really fast and WANTING that item so much you're willing to outbid that guy as soon as he bids...Moral of the story: Watch everything you type in the auction house

Aspenor
03-09-2007, 03:24 PM
You know there's really nothing they can do about that right? You can't copyright a name, only trademark it, and I don't think they're going to pick out every little instance, because then who'd want to play if they need to spend an hour researching where their character's name could possibly come up with...

Actually, there is something they can do...and they do it. They can ask you to suggest a name for them to change it to, or they can just change it on the spot at will.

They also hand out points, temporary suspensions, and permanent bans for repeat name violations, which include trademark violations.

Just an FYI

Ranmaru2
03-09-2007, 04:17 PM
yes, but if they were to do it for every case and every little stingy remark at someone's name, then how are we supposed to create any characters and try to give them fitting names for how we play them if everyone is going to point out every name we come up with? Think about it..my WF Wiz's name is Rtwo Dtwo, now are they going to send me a message asking me to change it because some star wars fanatic sees it and registers a complaint when it was a well thought out name to give to a character? I'd quit right then and there. IF they couldn't have it in a names database to block the name from being given to the character immediately, then they shouldn't make a deal about it.

Honestly, no term/name is vulgar, it's the person seeing the name that takes it that way.

Ringlord
03-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Ok lets not try and highjack this thread into another debate over the name change stuff.

To the OP I feel for your loss and a bid cancel button will very likely be added in the near future as well as hopefully the seller's name will be posted so if you have an idea who is selling what. If I had received money that was obviously mistakenly overbid like that I would have returned all, but what I had wanted for a buyout and you would have known what that was because I always post buyout prices.

The GM's operate on a very limited set of parameters for what they can and can not do to help you in the game. Especially the first tier support. Second tier can do a lot more and there may even be a third tier, but I have never run into a problem that 2nd tier GM could not help me with.

Muppethero
03-09-2007, 05:54 PM
If the person placing the auction is allowed to pull his item up to the last minute, then the person bidding should be allowed to pull his bid. 'nuff said.

There is a reason for this. Someone could Inflate the price with bids until theres like an hour left. then retract his bid lowering the price and then bidding much much lower.

Riddikulus
03-09-2007, 08:51 PM
There is a reason for this. Someone could Inflate the price with bids until theres like an hour left. then retract his bid lowering the price and then bidding much much lower.
True... and unlike eBay there's no way for you to see that someone has retracted. At least on eBay there's a full bidding history that everyone can see.

I think the ultimate solution is a simple check that gives you a pop-up if your bid is some number of times greater (like 5x or 10x) than the last bid. That will flag the accidents without getting in people's way for all normal bidding.

Captain_Morgan
03-09-2007, 10:09 PM
alot of interesting commentary I agree with a pop up window to the effect of you are about to bid XXX and either confirm or deny. And to all the nay sayers yes it was an error on my part I never denied that but as in e-bay there is a confirmation screen to that effect.The point of the auction is to enhance game-play which it most definately did but a simple safety check would eliminate any situations like this from happening again ;P

Spookyaction
03-09-2007, 10:20 PM
I also did this, entering a number thinking i was replacing one. Fortunately for me it only cost me 20k plat. I endorse bid retraction as well. Any reason the seller has to retract an item auctioned can be used for a bidder as well no ?

Muppethero
03-09-2007, 10:32 PM
on everquest2 they have something in the options "if purchasing an item over X amount please confirm" you put in the amount you want and everytime you try to purchase something over that amount a pop up window comes up. I like that.

Zyklon
03-10-2007, 11:13 AM

So did you win the auction?

-

SneakThief
03-10-2007, 11:49 AM
You actually think the GMs can help you with ANYTHING?
Fixed that for ya...

I agree with this 100%.

Frodo_Lives
03-10-2007, 07:41 PM
In theory pulling bids might be a good idea but depending on its implementation it could cause all sorts of grief.

Say I want a Cloak of Greater Fire Resist, a fairly commen but high value item on the AH. The seller starts with a 10K plat and no buyout. Also fairly common, and as mr greedy butt head I place a bid of 100K plat. I leave that bid up for three days discouraging others to overbid me and to also pretty much forget about said item cause it's overpriced. But wait! I time my bids so that in the last 5 -10 minutes of the auction I pull my 100K plat bid and it reverts back to the original 10K plat point, at which I try to get the item at a bargin basement price cause I've already scared away anyone who looked at the item in the last three days.

End result is while I tied up a lot of my money, I get the item I want with a lot less competition on it AND for a much cheaper price.

Or simply get in a bidding war over my own item and then retract my last bid so the player I was bidding against buys it. While I would never bid more than I'm willing to pay, but there have been times where I have been glad the other guy went one more. It's a sure way to drive up the selling price on your own items.

Both scenarios are very plausable, and would help wreck the AH. So be careful what you wish for when asking for the ability to take back bids. I personally would like it if auctions were only uncancelable after 5 mins of placement but that's just me.

MysticTheurge
03-10-2007, 07:42 PM
The easy solution is to only allow bid cancellations for about 5 minutes after the bid is made (for the first case at least).

The latter is already a problem and should be solved by not allowing people to bid on their own items (an account-wide restriction). That would mitigate some of those problems. The rest are really self-correcting in that someone won't be bidding up in a bidding war past the point that they're willing to go. (And with the first restriction, you're in kind of a conundrum trying to bid up your own items. Maybe your real bidder is just in a quest and that's why he's not bidding back, but you only have 5 minutes to cancel your bid before you're stuck with it.)

Aethene
03-10-2007, 11:32 PM
he made a mistake... sure.

But saying that there is NOTHING the gm's can do about is freaking ridculous. The should refund him his money. The money ISN'T real. THIS IS A GAME. and if it keeps a loyal 1 year customer happy then why the hell not?

And if the GM's can't figure out how to cancell the auction then just let the poster keep the 359k plat and refund the bidder 359k plat. it really doesn't make that much of a difference in the end.

Keep the customers happy.

is anyone else sick as hell as me from hearing that there is nothing EVER a gm can ;possibly do?!

if you are please see my post in the customer service forums.

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER

valharan01
03-11-2007, 03:43 AM
Sorry that happened, but there's nothing they can nor should do.

It was your own error. Sorry it happened, but there it is.

Disagree. Until sellers lose the ability to cancel an auction at will I believe people should be able to cancel a bid at will as well.

I sell alot more than I buy on the auction house and never once have I stopped an auction even if I was getting 1/10th of what I could vendor an item for.

Muppethero
03-11-2007, 03:45 AM
as I have said. a bidder cancling a bid has about 20 explotes that can happen.

Someone bids an item up really high. then cancles his bid right befor it expires and then places a smaller bid and gets the item much much cheaper.

MysticTheurge
03-11-2007, 08:21 AM
as I have said. a bidder cancling a bid has about 20 explotes that can happen.

Someone bids an item up really high. then cancles his bid right befor it expires and then places a smaller bid and gets the item much much cheaper.

I already addressed an easy way to avoid this.

Of course it's no more an "exploit" than posting your item on the auction house to see how much someone will pay, then canceling at the last second and reposting it for just a bit more than that.

theblaz
03-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Disagree. Until sellers lose the ability to cancel an auction at will I believe people should be able to cancel a bid at will as well.

Nope. Quite simply, you're wrong.

As mentioned, there are numerous exploits, FAR worse than a seller cancelling an auction.

"Boo hoo, I didn't get my INT Tome for cheap because he pulled it" is not NEARLY as bad as a bidder bidding a million plat, cancelling the bid at the last second and bidding low. It would give the AH to all the rich people.

I wouldn't mind a "Are you sure?" confirmation window that people can turn on or off, nor would I mind being able to cancel bids UP TO 5 minutes after you post them, but unlimited bid retraction is a horrid idea rife with exploit possibilities.

You think the AH sucks NOW, give the uber rich people another way to dominate the markets.

MysticTheurge
03-11-2007, 01:21 PM
cancelling the bid at the last second

For about the third time, this is easily prevented.

theblaz
03-11-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm aware that it's easily prevented. I was responding to someone who wanted unlimited bid cancellations.

If you're going to debate something with me, please read my ENTIRE post (as towards the end, I clearly support being able to cancel bids up to 5 minutes after you make it). It's rather shady to quote a piece of a post without putting it into proper context.

kat
03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Say they allow bid cancellations, how exactly would that work?

When I am outbid in an action, I am notified of that fact and my money is refunded to me so if the person that did the outbidding then cancels, how would the high bid revert back to me?

I suppose for that to happen, they'd have to delay my notification of being outbid for whatever time period they allow for the cancellation?

My own opinion? I don't think there should be a bid or auction cancellation, just an "Are you sure?" screen. That should solve any problems with posting or bidding - unless the person is totally not paying attention in which case it's their own fault with no one to blame but themselves.

MysticTheurge
03-11-2007, 06:01 PM
I suppose for that to happen, they'd have to delay my notification of being outbid for whatever time period they allow for the cancellation?

Yeah, that's probably the easiest solution.

Jebediah
03-12-2007, 02:49 AM

This is how honest people wind up buying plat.

Jebediah
03-12-2007, 03:09 AM
Is this how a year's worth of loyal paying to play since the head-start is going to end????????? Sureshot(in game)

You mean.. You're leaving over a problem with the auction house?

That's very similar to the reason I quit paying for my subscription too. GM's didn't flinch when I cancelled my subscriptions tho, just a heads up. They'll only flinch for real when they lose a whole bunch of subscriptions.

Lorien_the_First_One
03-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Chardros: I believe it more to be that the GMs are just lazy. I've seen a situation occur with my brother in Gwylan's that could have been solved by the GM just ending the quest and giving them the XP they would have gotten anyways, but they didn't do it. (They couldn't put the last House P container in the last set of boxes, as the boxes weren't showing up as interactable).

Odd, they fixed that for me last night. Took them about 5 minutes after they responded to us.

Lorien_the_First_One
03-12-2007, 07:12 AM
Say they allow bid cancellations, how exactly would that work?

When I am outbid in an action, I am notified of that fact and my money is refunded to me so if the person that did the outbidding then cancels, how would the high bid revert back to me?

My own opinion? I don't think there should be a bid or auction cancellation, just an "Are you sure?" screen. That should solve any problems with posting or bidding - unless the person is totally not paying attention in which case it's their own fault with no one to blame but themselves.

"Are you sure" doesn't work because people get used to it and they are sure... until right after they click yes. It becomes habbit to click yes and they basically don't pay attention.

Cancellation does have its problems. Given the pay up front system we have the normal system in an auction of reverting to last bid doesn't work. If they reset the option to the starting price, people will start bidding and cancelling to drop the price so they can then bid again at a lower price...not good.

While I haven't done this, I have made a similar mistake. At one of those 4 am moments I noticed something in the auction house I really wanted, and clicked bid on it too fast... Somehow I misread the lines and didn't read the asking price properly. It was one of those rediculously inflated prices... I prob paid 20x too much...ooops...my bad...

I don't think we should allow bid cancellations, but then again I don't think we should allow posters to cancel either.

- Terry

Riddikulus
03-12-2007, 08:11 AM
"Are you sure" doesn't work because people get used to it and they are sure... until right after they click yes. It becomes habbit to click yes and they basically don't pay attention.
That's why you only pop up when the bid you are putting in is 5x or 10x the last bid, and not otherwise.

So if you are doing 10% increments or a bit more, you don't get the "Are you sure" box.

If you put in a bid that's 10x the current bid, it pops up and makes you take a second look at your bid.

If you just blindly click yes at that point, well, you got what you deserve.

BuzzSaw
03-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Post in the Marketplace Forum of your Server.

Explain the situation and maybe the person who is listing it will see it and help you out.

Hey, better then nothing.

Good Luck
Buzz

Captain_Morgan
03-13-2007, 11:38 PM
ya well see

Cowdenicus
03-13-2007, 11:41 PM
if it makes you feel any better, today i bought a tome off the auction house, pulled it from my mail, opened to send a mail to my alt, opened my inventory and the tome was gone. No benefit and 850k gold gone.

I am slightly perturbed about it, especially when I contacted customer service, was told they would kick it up, and got no further response from them.

Wolflaughing
03-14-2007, 04:54 AM
You actually think the GMs can help you with that one?

*start sarcasm*
Yeah, what are you thinking? This isn't WoW where GMs help out with this kind of stuff. Duh!
*end sarcasm*

C'mon, give the guy a break. He reported the error right away and submitted a report.

If GMs are completly handcuffed on certain things, then perhaps they should be called something other than GMs. At the very least tell the dude that its on "the issue list" or something.

Velexia
03-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Dude who the hell pays 350,000 gold for a +4 Adamantine Shield... seriously...
and then you go and pay 3,590,000 gold for it?! ...haha... I'm sure you made someones day =)

I payed 34,000 gold for a set of +4 Adamantine Fullplate. That's 3/- DR. Not 1/- DR. Man, Adamantine Shields are bunk.

I wouldn't even pay 350,000gp ( 35,000pp for you high rollers ) for +5 Adamantine Fullplate.

Edit: Oh, and let me comment on DDO GMs. They aren't just crippled on some things... they are crippled on everything. Every DDO GM I have talked to has seemed like some guy I just woke up or interuppted in the middle of dinner who is now ****ed off at me and is going to cut and paste sentences at me until I go away.

WilbyZ
05-25-2007, 11:02 PM
When are the Devs going to look into the Auction House bidding mistake errors?

I mean today, just then, I was bidding on a +1 Con Tome. It was at 80k pp so I thought I'll put in 84k pp, but accidentally put in 840k pp! (Yea, one extra 0)

Now there's nothing I can do except lose 800k+ pp... To most people, 800k pp is BS money "how did u get that much!".. (still got 600k pp on me, but yea still a big loss...)

dkrustyklown
05-25-2007, 11:30 PM

Look at it as if though your character got drunk and taken to the cleaners by a smooth talking businessman (read: auctioneer). This sort of thing happens in the real world, so it's not to think that NPC's would take advantage of adventurers who make mistakes.

It's a part of the game and you can roll with it. My D&D DM's always had NPC's rob us (or try to).

WilbyZ
05-25-2007, 11:40 PM
I mean today, just then, I was bidding on a +1 Con Tome. It was at 80k pp so I thought I'll put in 84k pp, but accidentally put in 840k pp! (Yea, one extra 0)

Now there's nothing I can do except lose 800k+ pp... To most people, 800k pp is BS money "how did u get that much!".. (still got 600k pp on me, but yea still a big loss...)

At 3hrs left on this +1 Con Tome, someone else bidded on it and upped it to 882,000pp!!! (Obviously that person wanted to bid 88,200pp). This means I got my 840,000pp back, but someone out there is bound to Search the board and post here.

If the Dev's can pay some attention to the AH, it would be great!! I mean someone paying 882,000pp (yes, pp .. not gp) is obviously a genuine mistake!

TheSimian
05-26-2007, 03:05 AM
At 3hrs left on this +1 Con Tome, someone else bidded on it and upped it to 882,000pp!!! (Obviously that person wanted to bid 88,200pp). This means I got my 840,000pp back, but someone out there is bound to Search the board and post here.

If the Dev's can pay some attention to the AH, it would be great!! I mean someone paying 882,000pp (yes, pp .. not gp) is obviously a genuine mistake!

Not quite. +1 tomes on my server routinely go for 500k and sometimes on certain tomes up to 1Mil (yes platinum, not gold). The person who outbid you probably did so by clicking the submit bid button on the search results, in which case they knew exactly what they were doing.

Sarge
05-26-2007, 03:37 AM
I feel your pain I wasted 105,000 pp on item that I was bidding on and I meant only to pay 10,500 pp for that item. Hey lets go have a round of ale at the taverns and make suggestive innunendos to the tavern maidens! I know that always perks me up.

Harncw
05-26-2007, 06:45 AM
if they allow ppl to cancel auction bids wont ppl log on to their alts to drive up an item's price?

I could post a +1 epic dohickey, wait to see when it get's activity, jump on a mule and bid it up in a phoney bid war, all in an attempt to give the item a percieved higher market value. This would only really work on truely rare items.

--Just my 2 cents, I think a cancel option would get abused. A confirm button would screen out brain farts though.

--You been playing a year and only had 345kpp? Just take a nice item, post it on the AH for some ridiculous amount and you will be rich again, you will never miss it. I have gained and lost that that 3 times over in the year I have been playing. Most recently when I sold a paralyzer for 1.2mpp and blew 800kpp on AOE scrolls.

Vinos
05-26-2007, 08:15 AM
What happened to individual accountability? You messed up. It happens to all of us but we live and learn. That's the point of mistakes. To learn from them. I bet you'll double check any bid you make now. Turbine isn't responsible for your mess-up.

RichD
05-26-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm not surprised this kind of mistake is happening, I've had to catch myself a few times when calculating a bid because you are jumping back and forth mentally between gold and plat.

I think there would be less mistakes made if they eliminated the gold, silver and copper boxes and all bids were displayed and entered as plat. Seriously, is a 1 plat minimum difference in bids going to effect anyone, I think not.

Rokurgepta
05-26-2007, 11:20 AM
if they allow ppl to cancel auction bids wont ppl log on to their alts to drive up an item's price?

I could post a +1 epic dohickey, wait to see when it get's activity, jump on a mule and bid it up in a phoney bid war, all in an attempt to give the item a percieved higher market value. This would only really work on truely rare items.

--Just my 2 cents, I think a cancel option would get abused. A confirm button would screen out brain farts though.

--You been playing a year and only had 345kpp? Just take a nice item, post it on the AH for some ridiculous amount and you will be rich again, you will never miss it. I have gained and lost that that 3 times over in the year I have been playing. Most recently when I sold a paralyzer for 1.2mpp and blew 800kpp on AOE scrolls.

People already log alts and drive prices up anyway.

darkgolem
05-26-2007, 11:29 AM

Hmm I wonder if I benefited from something like this. I auctioned a vorpal kukri +1 of tendon slice and (I noted an error which might be a bug, but in the interest of not encouraging exploitation, removed this part).

cryptic
05-26-2007, 11:44 AM

i think people will still get in a hurry and not pay enough attention to the conformation, and still get themselve into the same boat. but the only problem with alowing some to cancel a bid is that they can bid a huge amount in hope of ending a bid war and then cancel and bid just the incramental amount.

Just my thoughts though. i do think a conformation button would be best.

Cowdenicus
05-26-2007, 11:49 AM
mmmmm

necro love

Valgron
05-26-2007, 12:07 PM
One idea I likes in other games is that the auction houes list the seller. Something that may come one of these days :)

JD2134
05-26-2007, 12:34 PM
You know the saying a fool and his money err coins are soon parted.

Really man, assuming you lvl cap why you bidding on a +4 adam shield? I found a nice +5 adam shield of lesser acid resist in the armor pawn shop. I bought +5 lesser acid guard Admin FP on the AH for only 20k plat.

Naga_the_Serpent
05-27-2007, 02:26 AM
If the auction house were like an auction website, you'd be able to do all the things listed in this post and more with each auction. However, it's part of a video game and offered as flavor, not a way to make money (obvious reference to plat farming). That said, if you know you have lag, stop clicking. If you know you are going to be outbid, bid on a second very cheap auction (like a single potion for 100 gp) and just follow these steps. The auction you want to win is listed first, the auction you use to reset your bid amount is listed second.

+5 Mithral Tower Shield 100k plat
Potion of Bulls Strength 100k gold

When you are outbid on the first auction, click on the second auction then back on the first auction and click the Bid Button. Whalah! No mistakes in typing numbers. No worries about paying 10x what you wanted to pay. You bid 5% more from the last highest bid as the incremental system is intended, and you're now the high bidder again. Works every time fellas, and all it took was a moment to figure out how to interact with the auction house so you don't encounter user error. Best of luck with your bidding wars.

Naga the Serpent

Sarge
05-27-2007, 02:38 AM
So there I was in the early days when 200,000 pp really meant something and I was bidding on a item. This was just after the AH were introduced and I was bidding on poison ring. The bid had gotten over 10,000pp and it was a heated that got up 14,000 pp. The next bid was 143,000 pp. Luckily, I caught what he was doing and let go of the bid. A person can get caught up in the moment. Word to the wise, better to be outbidded than legally swindled. Before a person bids on a item, figure out your max theoretical bid. If it goes higher, ignore it. Always stay within your bid because a better item will always come along or and equal value item for less.

fefnir3284
05-27-2007, 03:22 AM
I did the same thing with a +2 holy burst light crossbow. the bid was 9800 plat and I entered 98,000 plat cause the autobid's increase wasnt enough. and how could a massive overbid like what OP and I did not be turbines fault? their auto increment bid cant do a simple minimum bid increase?

just saying, not arguing or complaining. I mean it took me all of 2 hours in GH to get that back 98k plat ;)

WilbyZ
05-27-2007, 04:29 AM
What happened to individual accountability? You messed up.

Hmm... That's like saying you misplaced your Password. Too bad! Turbine can't help you. Open up a new account and take accountability for your mistake of misplacing your own password.

:cool:

Velexia
05-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah dude, he who is not careful with his money, loses his money. She who is not careful with her money, gets more money from him... er I mean... lol

Basically...
1] What the hell were you doing spending 350,000 gold on a +4 shield for in the first place... for 1/- frickin DR. Seriously.
2] If you are in such a rush that you cant take a second to make sure that you are bidding the exact amount you actually wish to bid, before placing the bid...
S. O. L.
3] I made 7.5 million gold in one night last week. The world is not over because you screwed up.

Cybersquirt
08-09-2007, 07:35 PM
What is so hard about adding some kind of confirm button to bids over 100k PP?

I just blew 3/4 of my savings. :(

I can see the problem with bid cancellation but that wouldn't be hard either, just make it uncancellable (or whatever) in the last 6 hours. If people can pull an item, we should have the right to pull a bid within five minutes of making it!

Us casual gamers just don't make that kind of loot or time before some wise arse pipes up about running around GH for 6 hours.

Vinos
08-09-2007, 07:46 PM
necro FTW

Ziggy
08-09-2007, 08:06 PM
What is so hard about adding some kind of confirm button to bids over 100k PP?

I just blew 3/4 of my savings. :(

I can see the problem with bid cancellation but that wouldn't be hard either, just make it uncancellable (or whatever) in the last 6 hours. If people can pull an item, we should have the right to pull a bid within five minutes of making it!

Us casual gamers just don't make that kind of loot or time before some wise arse pipes up about running around GH for 6 hours.
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE (http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q196/z2ggy/DDO/RISE.png):D

GreatCzarsGhost
08-09-2007, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=Captain Morgan;1005870 This was an honest mistake. Is this how a year's worth of loyal paying to play since the head-start is going to end????????? Sureshot(in game)[/QUOTE]

Honest mistake or unhonest mistake it's still a mistake that Turbine will not help you with. As much as I wish there were a way to fix it I do understand why they wont. People being what people are, GM's would be getting requests form players who had bid on an expensive item and later pulled one from a chest and had no need for the one they bid on and wanted their "honest mistake" fixed.

Your mistake sounds like it was truely something that if it could be fixed should, but the problems of doing that would open a whole can of worms that should say closed.

binnsr
08-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Asking for a GM to help you with this is like asking a GM to credit your death penalty because you ran off the cliff on the way to the Leaky Dinghy.
You have something against swandives on the way to the dinghy?

Tavok
08-10-2007, 01:11 AM

Meh, you lost all your cash, o well. In most games it would be devestating, but I think that one of the advantages in DDO is, its not that big of a deal. Sure it sucks, but maybe just sell a big weapon of yours for a lot of cash to get through. Not the end of the world, and certainly not worth quitting for.

EDIT: Heh, usually pretty good at checking dates but I didn't notice this had been totally necro'd lol :P

Ziggy
08-10-2007, 07:31 AM
For the record. the OP's last activity was
Last Activity: 03-29-2007 11:50 PM

So please lets let this dead thread rest in piece.

blakbyrd
08-10-2007, 08:41 AM

Well, sadly Turbine will not do anything in this case, as you have found out. You certainly arent the first either. However, being a player on Argonnessen as well, we do have alot of good honest players, and maybe the one selling the item will help out, if you can find out who it is. Get in game and ask around. Determine what the ending time is for the auction and chances are you will know when that person is normally on which may help in finding that person. If it were me, I would have no problem giving back the difference, but then again I will never post an auction without a reasonable buyout to start with, partially in the hopes of keeping such things from happening.

Good luck though...I will check with my guild just in case one of them might be selling it.

blakbyrd
08-10-2007, 08:42 AM
For the record. the OP's last activity was
Last Activity: 03-29-2007 11:50 PM

So please lets let this dead thread rest in piece.

Haha, didnt even notice. Thanks for the head's up...on to something else :)

Lorien_the_First_One
08-10-2007, 09:30 AM
I feel for the OP, it's happened to me.... just yesterday actually. Someone is gonna be very happy how much I just paid for their Robe of the Roc. But it is my fault, I can't complain too much really.

It's absurd that auction-posters can cancel their auctions right up unto the last second of the auction, but auction-buyers have absolutely no recourse for mistakes like this.

Bid cancellation has been fixed in mod You have 1 hour to cancel the post (in case you posted it wrong presumably) and after that if there are any bids on the item you can't cancel. :D About time I'd say, nice going Turbine!

This is a perfect example of why a bid cancellation system needs to be added

Ebay doesn't hold you to your error if you bid 1000.00 on an item you meant to bid 10.00 on.. you have the option to retract your bid.

Agreed in principle but it might be a bit complicated in DDO auctions. The problem is what do they do about the way money is taken and then returned when you are outbid. Presumably they would have to hold on to the person who was outbid for a period of x minutes during which time the person with the high bid had the option to cancel aqnd then only after x minutes went by and the bid was locked in would the person who was outbid get their money back. It could be a bit confusing if you looked, saw you were outbid, but had no money back yet. That also might prevent you from rebidding before an auction ended if you were in that last hour window (ie- if you needed the money from your last bid plus some in your inventory to be able to afford rebidding).

Ziggy
08-10-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm getting the feeling this thread won't die unless it gets locked.
yeah probably not.

EDIT: ninja point.

Coldin
08-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm getting the feeling this thread won't die unless it gets locked.

Lorien_the_First_One
08-10-2007, 09:47 AM
yeah probably not.

EDIT: ninja point.

Ya you should keep posting in it to keep it alive :)

BTW, who cares if the OP is dead and gone, someone reserected the thread so it was obviously of interest to them :D

Ziggy
08-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Ya you should keep posting in it to keep it alive :)

BTW, who cares if the OP is dead and gone, someone reserected the thread so it was obviously of interest to them :D
cause i believe this thread was resurrected before.

its unhealthy to be resurected so many times.

and all its gonna do is start people bickering with someone who isnt here anymore. do you enjoy talking to the wall? cause thats what people who are addressing the OP are doing right now.

Lorien_the_First_One
08-10-2007, 10:21 AM

and all its gonna do is start people bickering with someone who isnt here anymore. do you enjoy talking to the wall? cause thats what people who are addressing the OP are doing right now.

Hmm.... then we shoud probably stop taking to each other like this or the thread stays alive :p

Ziggy
08-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Hmm.... then we shoud probably stop taking to each other like this or the thread stays alive :p
Yeah probably:p

Protagoras
08-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Hmm... That's like saying you misplaced your Password. Too bad! Turbine can't help you. Open up a new account and take accountability for your mistake of misplacing your own password.

:cool:

I was trying to think of an example like this.. good one, perfect example. Not only do we have to be responsible, Turbine also should code their interface to be as user friendly as possible. There have been a plethora of suggestions here that seem both easy and effective. The best I have seen is the threshhold one, if you overbid by more than some percentage of the previous bid, you get a warning 'Are you sure?'

oronisi
08-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Actually a pop up window should ask, "are you sure?" before making a bid. This could be a feature you could able/disable in options.

Confirmation windows are ****! Why would putting a window that says 'okay' or 'cancel' matter? The people with the problems didn't read what they were doing in the first place, so why would they read the popup confirmation. 'Oh! let me check my pricing even though I didnt check it the first time I clicked ok...thanks popup window!'

Cybersquirt
08-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Ziggy, many apologies, but I've never been much for 'the rulez'. Its what I like about cyber. :D

oronisi: may you overbid on several items (preferably in a short period of time). :cool:

HumanJHawkins
08-14-2007, 05:52 PM

Dude... You should see how many times Meian has been ressurrected, and she's still kickin' :-)

HumanJHawkins
08-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Confirmation windows are ****! Why would putting a window that says 'okay' or 'cancel' matter? The people with the problems didn't read what they were doing in the first place

1) You assume too much. There are plenty of ways people could make this mistake without being deserving of the problem.

2) People don't read warnings when they pop up all the time. However, when a warning pops up that they rarely see, they can be quite useful. So if you limit the warnings to large bids that also exceed the previous bid by 25% or more, then the warning will not come up for most people.

When it does, people will read it. And because it will be rare, it will not be an undue burden on those who really did want to bid excessively beyond the current price on a high ticket item.

I can see hating this in principle because of hating pop up warnings. But in practice, it should not be a big deal.

Plus, it could be tied to the "don't show me warnings" thing in the user prefs... isn't there already something like that in there?

Shade
08-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Your a founder, playing over a year..

You should have learned by now that plat is very easy to come by, and 350K is not a big deal. I know I can make that within 3-4 hours tops.

Just watch the auction house, learn how it works and sell some items, you'll soon find 350k is not very much at all.

The_Cataclysm
08-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Your a founder, playing over a year..

You should have learned by now that plat is very easy to come by, and 350K is not a big deal. I know I can make that within 3-4 hours tops.

Just watch the auction house, learn how it works and sell some items, you'll soon find 350k is not very much at all.

Bit late to argue now since he is long gone.