PDA

View Full Version : How l made my Million Gold...Without Loot Running

Viglin
02-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Ive seen many many posts complaining about lack of funds, or how much money one must spend on a quest, so...after just reaching the Million gold mark...l thought ld complie a list of ideas to help players make some coin, without having to do boring loot runs[to those who enjoy loot running, no sweat just not my thing:)]

As l play one of the most[consided anyway]expensive classes...a BattleCleric/Wizard....lve learnt how to cut back costs big time...so l have money for me and when needed the group.

Some easy tips
*Collectables....even if you dont use the items, you can sell those that you get as reward...and some collectables are very useful[cure wands for one]

*Scan the Auction House...when you have some free time, flick thru the auction house....not everyone is greedy, lm always finding great deals.

*Dont selll to the tavern keeps!!!...once you start getting +2 or better items, take em to either their brokers or to the auction house....the brokers will give you more then the tavern keepers...and you can make a hardy profit, without being greedy, buy seeling items on the Auctuion House[lm usually seel my stuff for between 50% to 200% base price depending on the rairity of the item]. Of course, if l get something very rare[high stat item etc]...lm may set the price a little higher;)

*Wands are cheaper then potions...if you can use wands, buy them...remember you can use a wand freely equally to you full character level, as long as you have at least 1 caster level....Rogues, you got that UMD thing;)

*Haggle skill...even thou mine sucks, having a high haggle skill does give you better prices for selling and buying

*Repair asap...soon as l see my gear is damaged, l go repair it....saves some coin but also lessons the change of permanent damage, at least from what lve been seeing.

*If you have time....go out and farm up on collectables that provide healing items..like in Tangleroot for one...or the harbour quests for the Cure wand Collector outside the Leaky Dingy

*Break everything....so many potions, ammo, returning ammo, gets left behind..that people could either use or sell.

*Solo lower level quests...this way you get all the collectables, items from boxes, some chest gear, and end rewards..to either keep, use or sell...and you doing something other then being bored

Hopefully others can add some tips that will help people save on exspenses, thus giving them money to stock up on ammo, healing items, or get some good equipment;)

Udar_Giantbane
02-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Viglin,

As always great advice. I thought I would throw in a guild members two coppers as well concerning cure wands. We had a thread concerning clerics funds and he broke down wand cost per hp healed. This mostly applies to after combat healing and topping off of course, but is a good reminder and a good reason to be just a little more patient and not zerg on to the next encounter :)

Wand----Healing Potential------Average HP----Cost-------Cost per HP
Light-------50d8+50-------------275hp------750 gp-------2.7 gp
Moderate--100d8+150-----------550hp-----4,500 gp------8.1 gp
Serious---150d8+250------------925hp----11,250 gp-----12.1 gp
Critical---200d8+350-----------1,250hp---21,000 gp-----16.8 gp

KelWayne
02-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Hey Viglin, another good post. Of course, we don't want everyone to know how to get rich because they'll be outbidding us at the auction house... (oops, too late).

*Solo lower level quests...this way you get all the collectables, items from boxes, some chest gear, and end rewards..to either keep, use or sell...and you doing something other then being bored

Now this is loot running? Gwylan's Stand is a great place for this. My 12 bard has a lot of fun having the trolls fight for him. Usually can get the first 4-6 chests in a little over 10 minutes.

Viglin
02-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey Viglin, another good post. Of course, we don't want everyone to know how to get rich because they'll be outbidding us at the auction house... (oops, too late).

Now this is loot running? Gwylan's Stand is a great place for this. My 12 bard has a lot of fun having the trolls fight for him. Usually can get the first 4-6 chests in a little over 10 minutes.

LOL lm always being outbid...but lm cheap, l wont bid on something that has a silly high price...course if l had a million plat guess l would :eek: :D

When l think of loot running, l think of you know, Giant Caves etc...and when l meant solo low level quests...l was meaning like real low level[say 2-6]....or even ones that give you some exp but you can do reltaively easy.
Maybe its mini loot running?:)[and thanks for the Gwylans Stand tip:)]

Udar-Very helpful...lusually only go with cure light, sometimes moderate...did wonder if ld save more if l went for the higher wands..now l can see lm right on course:D

Scrion
02-27-2007, 07:55 AM
I agree with wands beeing much more cost effective than potions. One thing about the cost break down though. A CLW wand is the most cost effective however the total healed per wand is so low you might have to carry 5-10 wands or risk running out. One CSW is about the equivalent of 3.5 CLW wands. I dont have enough pack space to carry a bunch of healing wands, but I do carry a CSW and a CMW.

Udar_Giantbane
02-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I agree with wands beeing much more cost effective than potions. One thing about the cost break down though. A CLW wand is the most cost effective however the total healed per wand is so low you might have to carry 5-10 wands or risk running out. One CSW is about the equivalent of 3.5 CLW wands. I dont have enough pack space to carry a bunch of healing wands, but I do carry a CSW and a CMW.

Your analysis is right on Scrion. My ranger usually only caries a cure serious wand or two mostly due to pack space constraints. I pulled this from a cleric thread, who generally have a tendency to leave more pack space for wands.

Rydlic
02-27-2007, 08:24 AM
This is how I make the bucks (300k gp in one day)

+4 Items: Fullplate, Chain Shirts.. Scimitars and longswords.. The common staples of the fighting class.
Start bid about 1500 pp, and a buy out of 300pp less that full price. 9 times out of 10 they sell, and that is a major profit over vendor.

+4 Stat items: These are becoming more common, but they can still get a good price. The common slots (Str Gloves, Dex Boots, Con Belt) don't get as hight but you can get around 40k gp (or 90K if you want to try) on a buy out. The uncommon slots (Con/Wis/Charisma Neclace and such) can fetch well over 100k gp on buy out.

Uncommon Metal: Adamantine and Mithral armors can all get major profit.
+2 Mith Fullplate can go buy out for 35-45k gp (depending on if there are any in at the time) and +3 goes for 100k, +4 (if you sell it) stars at 300K and goes up. +5 Mith fullplate can get you millions on the action block.

What I noticed is this, if you tag a good pull and can't use it, scan the actions for a couple of days. Check the going prices on these items. Then post yours as an undercut and your guarnteed to sell, make profit (you pulled it from a chest for free) and go away smiling.

VonBek
02-27-2007, 08:27 AM
FWIW, I tend to carry at least 2 CLW on my Ranger, but I always maintain a CMW/CSW for when the adventure heads south.

*Haggle skill...even thou mine sucks, having a high haggle skill does give you better prices for selling and buying Action Boost: Rogue/Ranger skill boosts will increase your haggle when selling. (They also help boost your heal/repair at shrines, but I'm not sure how much it matters at the shrine.)

*Repair asap...soon as l see my gear is damaged, l go repair it....saves some coin but also lessons the change of permanent damage, at least from what lve been seeing. Me too.

*If you have time....go out and farm up on collectables that provide healing items..like in Tangleroot for one...or the harbour quests for the Cure wand Collector outside the Leaky Dingy So many flowers, so little time. But, ever fall in with PUGgers on harbor elite quests? NO ONE is high enough level to cast Remove Curse/Blindness. Suddenly, I have time to pick those pretty flowers.

Zenako
02-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Ranger tries to always carry 2 CMW and 2 CLW wands. If i need to wand heal during a battle, CMW is used (CLW is too slow to matter in a fight). Having a devotion item helps (at least for now) as well. Once I could buy the Sturdy arrows, the room for the extra wands was a no-brainer.

If you have a skill boosting enhancement, also use that every time you are buying or selling, it adds up and is free. For real expensive items I will also pop a CHA pot or clickie of some form to max that out as well.

The only items I have been able to sell first time/every time have been various mithril armors. I always put a buyout price on them that is reasonable as well and they get picked up. I make mucho more than from the vendor and someone gets a hard to find item. Recently sold two or three sets of mithril chain this way (from "loot" runs).

As for being frugal I still grab all the collectibles I see, and only if hurting for space on quest will I dump some. (Usually the 3 for x ones if something needs to go). Picking up "free" Cure Serious or Cure Mod wands is very useful, not to mention many Cure X Potions.

Arianrhod
02-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Getting the most out of your haggle skill (no matter how low it is): Keep a haggle item around and equip it when you sell. If you have a skill boost (ranger, rogue), use it before selling. If you have Eagle's Splendor, Heroism, or Good Hope, use those too (but only castable or clickies - don't waste those expensive potions & scrolls unless you really stand to make a fortune). If you really want to go nuts and have any rogue levels, switch to the rogue enhancement for better prices before heading out to sell.

Ziggy
02-27-2007, 11:13 AM
If you really want to go nuts and have any rogue levels, switch to the rogue enhancement for better prices before heading out to sell.
this one wont be viable come the enhancement update.

tihocan
02-27-2007, 11:39 AM
*Scan the Auction House...
Bad advice! If I had stayed away from the AH I'd be much richer now :D

Viglin
02-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Bad advice! If I had stayed away from the AH I'd be much richer now :D

ROFLMAO...just lost my lunch there:eek: ..and yes lve bought quite a few toys that l might not have fully needed...but they were fun:D

I should have said..."before going to the Brokers and paying Base +10%?...scan the Auction house first, you may save a bundle;)

Impaqt
02-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Heres one thing I do a lot....

Be diligent about Visiting THe weapon and Armor brokers ona regular basis!!!!

You will be shocked at some of the awesome things people sell to Brokers. These can be thrown onthe AH and make a lot of money in no time at all....

Recent Broker aquasitions...

+2 Mithral Full Plate
+3 Mithral Full Plate
+2 Flaming Burst Dwarven Axe
+1 Axiomatic Long Sword of Pure Good

People are always looking for Mithral Plate for their new toons... +2 can fetch 50k Gold and I've gotten as much as 150k for it...The +3 is banked... But I bet I could get 200K gold for it easy.

Pay Close attention to +1 and +2 items inthe high end vendors!!!!! Many Greater Bane enhancements dont show up inthe items description!!!! Found a Shock Staff of Greater Vermin Bane and a axe of Greater Halfling bane that were lonely....

thorleif
02-27-2007, 12:26 PM
best deals to buy on ah during the week, best time to sell on the weekend

tc12
03-02-2007, 11:26 AM
For those complaining about normally being outbid, try evenings this week. So many folks out looting that there's some bargains out there not getting bid up. Picked up a +4 CON necklace for dirt cheap, and a regular +5 hvy shield for less than half list price. I'm sure uber-loot is still expensive and bid up, but good usable upgrades are easy to find.

Arronaz
03-02-2007, 12:04 PM
If you can, check the AH very early at the morning, several auctions are posted at prime time, and people forget that they wont be up to see them end (the 8h auctions mostly). You can pretty much help yourself with almost every kind of item, since the competition will be non-existant to get the higher bid.

kafromet
03-27-2007, 11:12 AM
In regards to the Haggle skill, I'd highly suggest running C06 for the coin belt. A +10 haggle item really helps. :)

narizue
03-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Agreed on the Coin Belt, but it is an end reward from threnal south.

vyvy3369
03-29-2007, 11:13 AM
*Repair asap...soon as l see my gear is damaged, l go repair it....saves some coin but also lessons the change of permanent damage, at least from what lve been seeing.
Before the coming of the 400 FA favor repairers this was proven to be not true. Whether you repair when an item breaks or repair every time it takes 1 point of durability damage, it has the same chances of taking permanent damage. Repairing more often just allows for more varied results - you might get lucky and never take damage, or you might get unlucky and take a lot. The chance at permanent damage was a direct % of the damage taken / max durability remaining. So 50 damage on a 100 durability weapon = 50% chance at taking permanent damage.

For a quick example, let's say one person repairs an item once when it breaks, whereas another person repairs an item twice (when it hits 50% each time). Person #1 should take permanent damage no matter what.
Person #2 has 4 possibilities:

0 permanent damage (they got lucky both times)
1 permanent damage (the first 50% chance went wrong)
1 permanent damage (the second 50% chance went wrong)
2 permanent damage (both chances went wrong)

Spreading this out over the life of the weapon makes them equivalent essentially.

I haven't seen any updated formulas for the new repairers, but I'd imagine it'd have the same results.

xristos23
04-02-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm always selling cheap as dirt on the AH... 9 times out of 10 I'll put things up for 48 hrs and start them off at 10% their base price. AND I still have a hell of a time trying to sell the items.

Aranticus
04-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Ive seen many many posts complaining about lack of funds, or how much money one must spend on a quest, so...after just reaching the Million gold mark...l thought ld complie a list of ideas to help players make some coin, without having to do boring loot runs[to those who enjoy loot running, no sweat just not my thing:)]

As l play one of the most[consided anyway]expensive classes...a BattleCleric/Wizard....lve learnt how to cut back costs big time...so l have money for me and when needed the group.

Some easy tips
*Collectables....even if you dont use the items, you can sell those that you get as reward...and some collectables are very useful[cure wands for one]

*Scan the Auction House...when you have some free time, flick thru the auction house....not everyone is greedy, lm always finding great deals.

*Dont selll to the tavern keeps!!!...once you start getting +2 or better items, take em to either their brokers or to the auction house....the brokers will give you more then the tavern keepers...and you can make a hardy profit, without being greedy, buy seeling items on the Auctuion House[lm usually seel my stuff for between 50% to 200% base price depending on the rairity of the item]. Of course, if l get something very rare[high stat item etc]...lm may set the price a little higher;)

*Wands are cheaper then potions...if you can use wands, buy them...remember you can use a wand freely equally to you full character level, as long as you have at least 1 caster level....Rogues, you got that UMD thing;)

*Haggle skill...even thou mine sucks, having a high haggle skill does give you better prices for selling and buying

*If you have time....go out and farm up on collectables that provide healing items..like in Tangleroot for one...or the harbour quests for the Cure wand Collector outside the Leaky Dingy

*Break everything....so many potions, ammo, returning ammo, gets left behind..that people could either use or sell.

Hopefully others can add some tips that will help people save on exspenses, thus giving them money to stock up on ammo, healing items, or get some good equipment;)

now i know why the AH is flooded with lousy stuff.... guess who they listened to... :D

Karr
04-16-2007, 01:39 PM
I sell probably 90% of the stuff I post at the AH. There are times I have to post it 2 or 3 times, but it eventually sells. I rarely price stuff at it's listed value, generally starting price will be about 50% of that and a buyout price either right at value or just below it. Either way I'm getting more than a shop will give me for it. I figure the loot didnt cost me much, if anything (maybe the price of a few potions), so whatever I make is profit. So long as I keep doing quests with decent loot, I can pull in 400k - 600k of gold per night from constantly rotating auctions. I can also keep my eyes open for better quality low level stuff for my other toons that are up and coming. Heck, for their levels I think they are better equipped than my main. :)