PDA

View Full Version : Hmm...is this girl possible?

Arinaia
02-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Hey everyone, got something to run past y'all. I'd like to make a fighter that can use arcane and divine wands.
Thinking of putting a few levels of Paladin for healing wands etc. and some of the auras.
Not sure how to incorporate the arcane wands-was considering some bard....

Basically I don't know how to put it all together. Starting on a new server so I don't have drow or 32pt build.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks guys :)

MeNorel
02-14-2007, 08:27 PM
If my thinking is right I would just go straight with Bard focusing on UMD and you should be able to get it high enough to UMD the CLW and maybe the CMW wands with no problem.

GHOSTRYDER
02-14-2007, 08:27 PM
i dont have the answers on what you should do, but just letting you know you cant go with bard AND paladin, paladins must be lawful good and bards cant be, as for the healing wand usage you could take a level of ranger, but that wouldnt give you the auras, some people mix paladin/sorc, you could use some arcane wands/spells with this, and get a few extra spell points

i know this isnt exactly what you were looking for but hope it helps a little

GHOSTRYDER
02-14-2007, 08:29 PM
If my thinking is right I would just go straight with Bard focusing on UMD and you should be able to get it high enough to UMD the CLW and maybe the CMW wands with no problem.

if you go straight bard you can use ANY healing wands from light to critical with NO umd, they're bard spells...i think the OP was wanting to go mostly fighter and just splash something in for the wand usage, if you really want to use arcane wands,healing wands, and be able to fight, id be leaning towards fighter/paladin/sorc or just paladin/sorc, or maybe just fighter/bard(no auras), human for the extra feat and the ability to raise stats using action points, if you go with the sorc option it just depends on how much sorc you take what lvl of arcane wands you'll be able to use, but you only need ONE level of paladin to use the healing wands for the appropriate lvl, for example an 11/1 fighter paladin can use cure serious wands

i personally would try to avoid the umd route though if possible unless you go with the fighter/bard option... because unless you have a max charisma its very difficult to get your umd up much higher than lvl 2 arcane wand usage without using an action boost in the new enhancement system, and without taking lvls in either bard or rogue you cant get it very high at all

also remember 1 lvl of ranger can grant you the use of healing wands too, just like paladin can

Arinaia
02-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Ok...

Looking like i should make a "paladin" but build it like a fighter....take a level of sorc for the arcane wand usage :confused:

Now, when to take this level of sorc?

Thank you for your input :)

GHOSTRYDER
02-14-2007, 08:57 PM
just remember if you take only one lvl of sorc, you'll only be able to use your lvl one arcane spells and lvl one arcane wands, ONLY healing wands go on character lvl, the use of other types of wands and scrolls are based on the lvl you have invested into the class of the wand

Bombalo
02-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Sorry ghost that is incorrect...on the wand part anyway. Scrolls now have a caster level check however I speak from experience when I say that wands are based on character level not caster level. My Pally/Sorc uses stoneskin wand w/o any problems or rolls at all. As

As for when to take the level of sorc I took if first level just to get it out of the way and make sure i didnt goof up leveling him some where. I dont think it matters to much though. Just remember the sooner you take it the sooner you can use wands(as long as you meet the minimum CHARATER LEVEL)

GHOSTRYDER
02-14-2007, 09:14 PM
oh really? its just scrolls? ok sorry i didnt know that, i had tried it with scrolls but never wands...just assumed it was the same. so an 11/1 pally/sorc can use lvl 10 fireball wands? nice.. in that case id DEFINATELY go with the pally/sorc build

sorry for the misinformation OP

Bombalo
02-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Haha yep flame away. The nice part about those fireball wands is that you can draw a lot of aggro really quickly, and as a pally you can handle it.

Bombalo
02-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Oh I almost forgot. This may sound stupid but make sure if you choose sorc first that you make him lawful good. Wasnt thinking when I first rolled mine and went chaotic. I was in for a suprise when I went to level to Pally :p

Arinaia
02-14-2007, 09:15 PM
No worries man...this is a place to ask questions and learn :)

I'm very excited to try this out, thanks all for your feedback!

Aranticus
02-14-2007, 10:31 PM
you might want to wait for the enhancements to change before you do anything as you may be able to umd it. right now on risia, the human vers enhancement is being tweaked but is currently facing tons of objections so they may (or may not) revert it back

this is the set up for a ftr with umd

ranks at L12: 7.5
skill focus: +3
cha bonus (assuming 8 with an eagle boost): +1
golden cartouche: +3
human vers IV: +4 (can remember the enhancement... pls correct me here)
luck gloves/stone: +1
hero/gtr hero: +2/+4
prayer: +1

total = 20.5/22.5

Ziggy
02-15-2007, 11:03 AM
just remember if you take only one lvl of sorc, you'll only be able to use your lvl one arcane spells and lvl one arcane wands, ONLY healing wands go on character lvl, the use of other types of wands and scrolls are based on the lvl you have invested into the class of the wand
thats not true, as my 1 level of wizard in my level 12 character allows me to use all arcane wands in game.