PDA

View Full Version : Fearsome armor for a melee?

Kaerok
01-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Perhaps is a crazy idea, but I would like to know your opinion about it.

I am thinking about a dps melee with medium AC, and it is much sacrifice to get a decent AC if you dont wield a shield.

So, what about wear some fearsome robes/armor?

The questions are:

A) What are the chance fear stick on high end elite mobs? 95% / 50% / 5%??

B) can it be a pain for the good advance of the quest?

Thx !!

tihocan
01-30-2007, 08:38 AM
What are the chance fear stick on high end elite mobs? 95% / 50% / 5%??
5%

B) can it be a pain for the good advance of the quest?
No, because of the above.

scorn_the_infallible
01-31-2007, 09:32 AM
hmmm i thought anything that struck you was feared no save

Ghoste
01-31-2007, 01:40 PM
not sure where tihocan is getting his numbers from. My WF wiz wears a fearsome docent of axeblock. I could not count how many times it has saved his life. Just from subjective observation, it seems to land the full effects of fear more often than not, and when not ALWAYS at least shaken. And I am talking about high level elite quests. The only exception is when they are immune to fear like undead, slimes, and warforged juggernauts. So 5%, well im pretty sure I know where that number got pulled out of.

I would like to see the actual numbers for the DC for the fearsome effect.

Qumil
01-31-2007, 02:33 PM
It can be handy but some times it is a real pain chasing mobs all around trying to kill them while they run around in crazy circles. I find it handy on my rog but I do not think I would use it on a fighter. I have not used it very much and can't give any % on elite content. I rarely play my rog accept von5 and it works fairly well on the living mobs in von5 normal.

tihocan
02-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Well, maybe I was just unlucky, but the only time I tried a fearsome suite on high level content it didn't work well (they mostly saved).
Maybe it was just against high will save creatures.
I assumed the DC was the same as a fear clicky, so probably something like 10 (base) + 4 (spell level) + 2 (not sure here, but I think you need 14 casting stat to cast a 4th level spell, which is a +2 modifier) = 16.
Now if someone can make better tests than mine, I'll be happy to learn it works better than I thought :)

Ghoste
02-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Like I said, my observations were subjective. I would also very much like to see some accurate numbers on how the fearsome effect on armor works. Tried looking it up myself in the core books without success.

tihocan
02-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Like I said, my observations were subjective. I would also very much like to see some accurate numbers on how the fearsome effect on armor works. Tried looking it up myself in the core books without success.
Easiest way would be to try it out in a tavern.

geoffhanna
02-02-2007, 10:16 AM
It depends a lot on what you are fighting too. A lot of monsters are immune to fear.

Emili
02-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Depends on the mob... It's a will save so mobs with high will saves become close to immune and mobs with low ones still get feared reasonably on elite.

Valse
02-02-2007, 06:32 PM
My ranger wears a Fearsome Robe of Invul and it works quite decently even on elite quests. Dependent on mobs I would say It lands maybe 40% of the time and if they save from the fear effect they become Shaken for -2 to hit. Keep in mind I normally don't melee, but range. so it suits the playstyle.

Val

Kindoki
02-11-2007, 12:52 PM
My experience with my fearsome sets of armor mimics Valse's. I would say that a bit less than half of the elite monsters get feared and run away. The others have the fear symbol above them, but keep swinging. I assume that means they saved and are taking a negative to hit, but I haven't really checked it out. I find the armor absolutely invaluable, I have a complete set of fearsome fp of "*"block, and it has saved me on numerous occasions. Be aware though that some people do complain when they have to hunt down a feared mob. I think they can just get over it...:)

WilbyZ
02-21-2007, 06:57 AM
So you have two choices with Medium armours....

Use +5 Mith FP and get High AC or Use Fearsome (Med) armour and have lower AC.

The question is, would you prefer the chance to avoid 100% of damage (high ac) or get hit more often and 40% chance to make mobs feared?

I would take +5 Mith FP and have a better chance to avoid 100% damage :)

Darkgurl
02-23-2007, 11:10 AM
My ranger wears a Fearsome Robe of Invul and it works quite decently even on elite quests. Dependent on mobs I would say It lands maybe 40% of the time and if they save from the fear effect they become Shaken for -2 to hit. Keep in mind I normally don't melee, but range. so it suits the playstyle.

Val

yep. find it's GREAT for ranged attackers, and my wizzie is loving the fearsome robe of mod fort.... might **** some people off, but keeps him alive a bit longer.... heh ;)

front line tank maybe not so much, but that is just a matter of opinion and playing style.....

sigtrent
02-23-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure how good it is for a pure DPS melee type and its definately out for a pure defensive tank that wants agro but not to take damage.

I think it is great for characters that don't want agro, especialy if they are the sort that don't do a lot of dps. I'm thinking it would be about perfect for my cleric, and my wife's sorcerer get's a lot of milage out of her fearsome robe.

MuadDib
02-23-2007, 05:54 PM
I have a DPS dwarven barbarian that wears fearsome mithril FP and loves it. It fears mobs very well even on elite and when I get jumped by 8 gnolls, I *like* having 7 take off and run around in circles until I kill them one by one.

If you are racing for kills with a cleric keeping you healed then it's probably not a good idea because you want to group everything on you so you are always killing things. If you simply want efficiency it's an excellent idea, however.

Meriadeuc
03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
In my experience, the fearsome effect is certainly usefull, but probably not worth sacrificing any significant AC for. Things really don't get feared very often, but they do, of course, at least get shaken (-2 to their to-hit). That's the equivilent of adding +2 to your AC against them, which is not bad at all as long as you don't have to give up any of your base AC in order to get it. So, for casters or high-dexterity melees who are going to be wearing robes anyway it's quite helpfull, but for anyone who wears armor it's probably not worth it (at least not untill the level cap is increased enough for people to start finding +4 or +5 fearsome armor).

~Kha_AhmenRa
03-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Just thought I would chime in and give my .02 Got the armor from the Dragon (+4 FP and 5DR), +5 Mithral FP, +5 Adamantine (3DR) and a suit of +2 Mithral Fearsome FP of Command Undead. Yes, I have armor, and I'm a cleric too :p

Got a Dex of 16 so the Mithral is of full use. So what I do is...... Wear the +5 Mithral about 90% of the time. That being said, I just pulled it over the +1 chest weekend so it's still a bit new :O) Prior to that uber pull, I would wear the armor that best suited the sitch. If there was mobs, fearsome. Heavy hitters, the Dragon (or +5 Adamantine before I got the Dragon)

Now my style of play is "Tank Cleric". And what I mean by that is I wade right in with the tanks and keep them close. I don't much like to heal from afar. This means I can cast mass cures, keep them in LOS and in range for cures and this means I'm going to get hit. So for mobs, the fearsome gives everyone a break. While one or two heavy hitting monsters aint much going to agro on me in any case and having it run around feared is a pain. And even if they do, I have tower shield in hand, I go stance defence and let all the tanks get a free back shot... Hehehe.... and if there be a rouge (ouch)

Dasha
03-16-2007, 04:04 PM
on my ranger I just picked up the mummy wrappings +4 padded fearsome armor..

I only have +4 mithral chain shirt so I loose 1 AC when I switch.. In groups in can be nightmarish for the run and chase this mob.. but solo it has helped to no end.. for me its only a 1 AC difference for a what ever % it is fear...

Uska
03-17-2007, 10:34 PM
I am playing a slightly crazy rg/wiz and sometimes I put on my fearsome robe and jump in with my kopesh and go to town it helps my me be able to survive in melee so I think it might be fun for a melee person maybe if they have striding and spring attack so they can run them down and kill them. Hmm need to get some good fearsome armor and striding boots for my dwarf

Conz28
09-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I think fearsome works great. ESPECIALLY on Khyber!!!. My fighter wears +4 fearsome full plate and it works at least 80 percent of the time. Why on Khyber does it work so well you ask?? Because it is the laggiest server, nothing like being in a mob and having a nice lag spike. Most toons would die then. At least with fearsome they have a great chance of running away allowing you to survive the lag spike. Then you hunt em down one at a time and kill em.

sigtrent
09-05-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm a huge fan these days...

On every swing the monsters make a save.. so its a bit like a paralyzer, they may save easy but they must save often. Its its not 5% per monster, its 5% per monster per swing (and of course better with weak willed monsters). So over time, lots of your opponents will be feared.

If they make the save they are shaken which is -2 to attack and saves (making it mroe likely they will fail the next save and giving you the equivilent of +2 AC)

So except for things immune to fear, Fearsome is worth 2pts of AC, and costs you +3 on the armor. So any armor over +4, fearsome is increasing your AC beyond the normal maximum agaisnt most opponents.

Hvymetal
09-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Alsos a huge fan recently traded out my +5 addy FP to +3 Fearsome loose 2 AC but only get hit once or twice. So long as you do not chase the mobs down it works great.