PDA

View Full Version : Character Exporting

Corran99
12-08-2006, 01:38 PM
I am not sure on the coding side of it, but would it be posable to put in a feature that would take your character and create a character sheet that lists all your characters ecential stats, skills, feat, etc. Also it would create a equipment list that would list equiped items, stuff in your packs and in your bank. all with the abilitys for each item listed behind the entry.

I think this would help make our characters easier to manage as well as make rebuilds easyier. You print up your character and you can take them to work, school, etc and work on them with your free time. So when geting into game there would be minimal downtime.

Kindoki
12-08-2006, 02:25 PM
A character exporter that shows equipment would be unbelievably helpful and would raise my enjoyment of the game tenfold. The time I have spent handwriting stuff down vs. time I could have spent adventuring more than highlights it's usefulness. Good idea!

Mercules
12-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I like the idea too. Occasionally printing out the stats of my characters would be very helpful. I could sit down and figure out who has what that could be useful to another character, mine or a friend, and what I actually have. I've had things sitting in the bank of one character for when another character reached a higher level and just forgot they were there.

Thing
12-08-2006, 03:23 PM
I had asked for this a loooong time ago. Also it would even be better if the same information could be accessible online. Although after the character info in the sig and PvP leader board snafu after last update, I doubt they would wanna take a lick at it.

PurdueDave
12-08-2006, 03:27 PM
I would love a bank/inventory/equipment export option. I don't know how many times I've logged through toons looking for some particular alt item ("where did that mithril chain shirt go?")

Corran99
12-08-2006, 03:30 PM
I had asked for this a loooong time ago. Also it would even be better if the same information could be accessible online. Although after the character info in the sig and PvP leader board snafu after last update, I doubt they would wanna take a lick at it.
Well i can see where the web and game system had issues, since they are 2 different beasts.

I'm proposing something in the game itself in say the character select screen, add a aditional button above the 3 on the left saying export. I would assume that that there would not be any compatability issues since the game itself can keep track of your stats and equipment anyway.........Well barring some mail issues.

geoffhanna
12-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Yes! A text or .pdf or something!

/sign

Kindoki
12-08-2006, 04:11 PM
That's what I was thinking it would be - a simple button that exports to a .txt file - use the same folder the screenshots are placed in.

Thing
12-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Well i can see where the web and game system had issues, since they are 2 different beasts.

I'm proposing something in the game itself in say the character select screen, add a aditional button above the 3 on the left saying export. I would assume that that there would not be any compatability issues since the game itself can keep track of your stats and equipment anyway.........Well barring some mail issues.

Yep a simple export/print char info button would be a good start and something they should be able to do.

It's my web suggestion that I doubt I will ever see or not at least for a long time.

Klattuu
12-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Personally I'm suprised it wasn't in the game at launch.

Lord_Legolas
12-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Yup! Yup! Yup! YES!

Corran99
12-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Personally I'm suprised it wasn't in the game at launch.
Ya I would of thought that would be a very neat thing for gaming groups, especialy if they all played together during the week. On the weekend they could print their characters out and play PnP with their DDO characters.

I mean they would not be able to import anything but still it would be cool.

Dariuss
12-11-2006, 01:20 PM
/signed

Although I would prefer an invenotry/bank list export ability.

Mr._Dna
12-11-2006, 01:37 PM
/signed

Great idea that I honestly never thought of. Only usefull if it includes all the items in our backpack/bank, though. That is the really hard stuff to keep track of.

Corran99
12-11-2006, 02:36 PM
/signed

Although I would prefer an invenotry/bank list export ability.
That is the main reason i would like to have this feature, so for those that have to step away from their game computer to be able to work or something similar

hirmor
12-11-2006, 02:37 PM
I suggested this months ago... I think that if coding is an issue, it could be done manually for a fee and with a 24 hrs or something delay... A good way for Turbine to make money and a great service to players... Who else can we join buddies we found out have their lvl 12 toons on another server???

Sefuss
12-11-2006, 02:42 PM
I have played a few mmo's. I don't remember this being an option on them, even though I think it is a great idea. Can someone give some examples on other mmo's that has this option. Maybe it is something that Turbine can look into.

Corran99
12-11-2006, 05:02 PM
I have played a few mmo's. I don't remember this being an option on them, even though I think it is a great idea. Can someone give some examples on other mmo's that has this option. Maybe it is something that Turbine can look into.
I have only played 2 other MMO's and neither one that i know of had this feature. I hate saying it but I think WOW can do it but it is a 3rd party mod for it.

Boy I feel dirty now. *takes shower to get the WOW off*

Kindoki
12-12-2006, 12:42 PM
I like the idea of being able to export the bank items as well. Isn't that the main idea? Being able to export the "entire" character?

Quillion
12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
This is THE single item that I would most want to see. I guess I'm just a man of simple wants. :)

Zenix_Leviticus
12-12-2006, 02:01 PM
I knew a person that had a friend that played diablo 2 and this guy
said that he knew a guy that had a 3rd party program that he could
run and get exactly what you guys are talking about. Now, I saw a
print out of this friend's friend of friend that knew that guy and it was
sweet. He actually could tell you the stats and items on each character
without logging into everyone of his characters.

My point is that it has been done before just not by the original game
designers.

I am sure that would be an easy thing for the Devs here at DDO to add
to the game.

Thing
12-12-2006, 02:06 PM
When I posted this someone had mentioned there was a 3rd party program that would do this for some MMO's. I think it was the same ones mentioned in the thread already.

I'm also surprised this wasn't in from the begining. The character sheet is so iconic to D&D and it would be nice to have in the MMO too.

Vengenance
12-12-2006, 06:22 PM
/signed

Fura
12-13-2006, 02:51 PM
/signed

And i will like to see a Magelo kind of version for DDO character.

Ron
12-13-2006, 02:58 PM

EQ2 does it. It's actually pretty darn cool. Not only that, it breaks down your rankings (based on xp earned) by everyone on your server, everyone on all servers, and everyone that is your class (e.g. you are the 131st highest level wizard on your server). It also does the same for kills, deaths, and a few other things I probably am forgetting :)

Kindoki
12-18-2006, 01:08 PM
/resigned... just to keep it on the radar.

Kindoki
02-11-2007, 08:13 PM
getting rid of all the excess threads I get emailed about...remembered this one. still a good idea....

Vardak
02-11-2007, 08:25 PM

No problem... Asheron's Call, Turbines other little project. Not really in the manner proposed, but its not all that difficult to gather the data and format it.

Corran99
03-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Thinking about it again it would be nice if we could copy and paste from the examine window and/or focus orb. it would save me hours of work copying items from screen to word doc.

Yaga_Nub
03-22-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm also surprised this wasn't in from the begining. The character sheet is so iconic to D&D and it would be nice to have in the MMO too.

There is a character sheet in DDO. Hit the "C" key on your keyboard.

Corran99
03-22-2007, 11:50 AM
There is a character sheet in DDO. Hit the "C" key on your keyboard.
yes but can you export it with your gear and stuff, to a text file for any reason?

Wyldblade
03-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I am not sure on the coding side of it, but would it be posable to put in a feature that would take your character and create a character sheet that lists all your characters ecential stats, skills, feat, etc. Also it would create a equipment list that would list equiped items, stuff in your packs and in your bank. all with the abilitys for each item listed behind the entry.

I think this would help make our characters easier to manage as well as make rebuilds easyier. You print up your character and you can take them to work, school, etc and work on them with your free time. So when geting into game there would be minimal downtime.

Great idea. I'd love to get an inventory of what each of my characters are wearing, holding, and have stashed in the bank. It would make life so much easier.

Arj
03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
/signed

Great idea!

Citymorg
03-22-2007, 04:32 PM
/signed. I also thought about this a long time ago, but forgot all about it. Very good idea OP.

arrrcher
03-24-2007, 12:01 AM
endorsed.

iamsamoth0
06-16-2007, 06:51 PM
to show support.

dogsday
06-16-2007, 09:27 PM
/signed

Love this idea. /crossing fingers

Shiranai
06-17-2007, 11:09 AM
I posted a message a week or so ago re: same subject. Here is the link so you can see that there are ALOT of people who would like this (or similar) feature.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=109134

Elfvyra
06-17-2007, 12:00 PM
yes but can you export it with your gear and stuff, to a text file for any reason?

No, but you can always take screenshots as a workaround. I'd really rather have the Developers and Coders spending their time on current issues than on future fluff.... ;)

Sojourner
06-17-2007, 12:02 PM
EQ2 does it. It's actually pretty darn cool. Not only that, it breaks down your rankings (based on xp earned) by everyone on your server, everyone on all servers, and everyone that is your class (e.g. you are the 131st highest level wizard on your server). It also does the same for kills, deaths, and a few other things I probably am forgetting :)

You want to see a game that really allows players to work with their characters, and gear, check out Anarchy Online.

A complete database of every item in the game. (http://auno.org/ao/db.php) - searchable by the buffs it gives, the equipment slot it takes up, and the minimum requirements to equip it.
A list of all guilded characters in the game, along with all non-guilded characters that are manually entered (http://auno.org/ao/char.php)
And even a complete history of the character including levelling, guilds, and ranks (http://auno.org/ao/char.php?dimension=2&name=Sojon)
Tools to dump all damage done by and to party members (http://magicdump.aoinfo.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=42) - including breakdowns of crits, specials, and pets
Programs to print out complete character profiles (http://www.halorn.com/chprofiler.html)
Programs to print out complete inventory of your character including backpacks and bankspaces (http://www.halorn.com/aois.html) - especially useful in this game where between backpacks and banks you could have up around 1,000 items stashed away.

Not wanting to say that AO>DDO (I'm here, not there, right?) But, there are definitely things that could be learned from looking what other games can do and what players want.

Kindoki
10-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Hmm...has it really been since June when we last discussed this? Still a good idea... :D

Mad_Bombardier
10-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Hmm...has it really been since June when we last discussed this? Still a good idea... :DSorry, bumping outside of the Server Marketplace threads is not allowed under the Code of Conduct. You usually just get the thread locked, but can earn infraction points.

Perhaps before necro-ing a long dead post by bumping, you should have posted in the recent thread on the topic (yes, there really was one).

Kindoki
10-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Sorry, bumping outside of the Server Marketplace threads is not allowed under the Code of Conduct. You usually just get the thread locked, but can earn infraction points.

Perhaps before necro-ing a long dead post by bumping, you should have posted in the recent thread on the topic (yes, there really was one).

That may be the letter of the law, but I find multiple threads on one topic to be extraneous at best, and somewhat irritating. Why not just continue the discussion in an already established thread, rather than create a new one? Shouldn't people take a moment to search for existing threads rather than put up a new one that is rehashing what has already been covered? I don't think a bump designed to reinvigorate a reasonable discussion is what is being policed against with the Code of Conduct. The Cube or other staff is welcome to set me straight however.

Shaamis
10-10-2007, 06:55 AM
I wouldn't mind a down-and-dirty list of inventory exportable, in a .rtf or .doc format, for reference while away from the game.

This would allow me to analyze items, mix/match items for efficiency, and allow me to concentrate on playing the game, instead of organizing the inventory.

Kindoki
10-10-2007, 07:04 AM
I wouldn't mind a down-and-dirty list of inventory exportable, in a .rtf or .doc format, for reference while away from the game.

This would allow me to analyze items, mix/match items for efficiency, and allow me to concentrate on playing the game, instead of organizing the inventory.

An inventory export would take care of 90% of what I think most people are looking for with this feature. It's no big deal to screenshot your character page if you have your inventory in a spreadsheet. Though certainly a full character export would be awesome...

But yeah, you basically nailed it. With an inventory export, I can do a little bit of the scut work during lunch at the office...leaving me free to enjoy some time with my friends in the evening.

Corran99
10-10-2007, 02:01 PM
But yeah, you basically nailed it. With an inventory export, I can do a little bit of the scut work during lunch at the office...leaving me free to enjoy some time with my friends in the evening.
That's kinda my main reason for wanting it in the first place. I'm a pack-rat and got stuff shuffled around on many characters. Having a in-game option to list all items would be the start to me not being so cluttered.

cnynridr2
10-10-2007, 03:09 PM
/Signed

Would love to be able to print out my char stats etc.

aurus33
10-10-2007, 03:12 PM
YES PLEASE!

ups sorry about caps, but you got the idea :P

This would be greatly appreciated!!

Citymorg
11-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Forget inventory, I want a full-blown WotC PnP character sheet with stats, skills, feats and everything on it!

SteeleTrueheart
11-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Forget inventory, I want a full-blown WotC PnP character sheet with stats, skills, feats and everything on it!

That would be nice.

I would also like an inventory of everything the character owns though. Bank and backpack/equipped.

/Signed

transtemporal
11-30-2007, 04:54 AM
/signed

Sometimes at work if its a bit slow, I do a bit of build planning but this is really hard without my character as its stands. Come on Turbine, help me waste company time! :D Being able to export the combat log would be really handy as well.

GrayOldDruid
12-12-2007, 01:40 PM

With inventory as well!

/signed

Dirkan
12-12-2007, 04:24 PM
/signed

Or get Decal working so the community could do some open source coding....

Maatogaeoth
01-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Certain other games with larger players bases (at least at the time it was done) have external programs that are able to export this type of information into a file their program can then interpret into something useful.

Some examples:
Magelo (mentioned earlier)
RPGOutfitter

I remember there being an issue for a while with these external programs and what they were "phishing" for in-game. Eventually people were able to make versions that only viewed/recorded what was seen by the player and not stuff hidding in the random loot tables. With this change, it was basically no different then the player taking the time to write down the information themselves. Seemed like the companies in control didn't have a problem with this.

Having it implemented by the company in control of the game would be very cool, but it takes up valuable time that could be used to improve the game.

Maybe this is possible?

Polsih
03-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Central to PnP was a Character Sheet. Having this feature sounds great to me.

Upside: For those that want it ... a very nice feature.

Downside: For those that don't ... don't use it. (Ex.: If you don't want to /dance ... don't /dance.)

As for those that worry about it taking away from content production ... I don't imagine that the folks working on quests would be the same folks working on a project like this.

/Signed

LinBird
03-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Please, Please give us External Char sheets!!!!!!

This is one thing I would love to have added to the game. As a long ago PnP player, the lack of a printable sheet has always seemed like the missing link to me. It would be like comfort food for us OLD players.

Ok, Ok.. The next post will say press C......

iamsamoth0
03-23-2008, 07:14 PM
I'll bite.

9 months on.
It would be truly inspiring to see a well laid out, elegant, picturesque character sheet, like the good old days....
Mmmmm.
I still have the yellow originals with the character class down the side.
Maybe a contest.
What kind of software would it take to make a sheet, that had move-able components? Where the player could dictate, in a way, how it was laid-out?

SamSneak
03-24-2008, 05:28 AM
and please list everything in the bank also!!!!

Again this would be soooooooooooooooo helpful!

and I have been asking for this since beta.

Tharlak
03-24-2008, 10:42 AM
/signed

Old time PnP and I NEED to hold a character sheet.

Kindoki
02-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Just so there is no confusion, there are three threads that deal with this topic. The other two are here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=137640&highlight=character+exporting)and here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=123289&highlight=character+exporting).

This is still a good idea and should really be looked at by the devs. It's gotten even worse for me because I run a 'guild bank' now that is 7 characters strong. Talk about having to do inventory!

iamsamoth0
02-09-2009, 11:09 PM
moooooore......!!!!

I am fighting this fight on two fronts!

Kindoki
07-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaah, so nice to see an old thread with a good idea....this has come to mind again because I just noticed that the WoW iPhone app, which allows you to see all your character info, has made it into the top 50 apps on iTunes.

Then I did a search for Turbine and found a third party app that pulls the information from my.lotro.com for you. Which appears, among other things, to be a character export site.

SOOOO. If Turbine already has the system in place for this (in LOTRO) what's the chance that this could make it into DDO:EU? I would really love to hear something from a dev, or anyone, on this, since we are pushing 3 years of this conversation, with multiple threads (this one had the most recent post, hence the one I chose to necro), and no real feedback that I know of...

Please, please, please, give this some consideration. The new launch is a perfect time to create a more user friendly environment; maybe this could be something for the first new mod?

p.s. did you see the note about an IPHONE APP :eek:.... we're falling behind the curve!

Lorien_the_First_One
07-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Just so there is no confusion, there are three threads that deal with this topic. The other two are here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=137640&highlight=character+exporting)and here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=123289&highlight=character+exporting).

This is still a good idea and should really be looked at by the devs. It's gotten even worse for me because I run a 'guild bank' now that is 7 characters strong. Talk about having to do inventory!

That is an IMPRESSIVE necro. This thread has been raised from the dead, what 4 times over 3 years lol

Oh, and listen to last week's DDO cast where they had the talk with devs segment. I believe thats where they said web based tools for doing offline inventory review, amongst other things, are in the works.

JOTMON
07-31-2009, 09:59 AM
/signed

I like it, I cant read my own writing at the best of times.

Kindoki
07-31-2009, 10:35 AM
That is an IMPRESSIVE necro. This thread has been raised from the dead, what 4 times over 3 years lol

Oh, and listen to last week's DDO cast where they had the talk with devs segment. I believe thats where they said web based tools for doing offline inventory review, amongst other things, are in the works.

I will definitely have to look up that DDO cast, as hearing something like that would make me do the happy dance in my head. :D

adam1oftheround
05-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Great idea.

iamsamoth0
05-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Yip Yip, tallyho!

Bradik_Losdar
05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
B...B...B....rains!

Err, I mean, P...P....P....Printable character sheets!!

This thread is has reached Lich status in it's power. Please Devs, this is a beyond due issue. Couldn't someone take their lunch breaks to work on this and make a whole LOT of people happy? (I mean come on, it was done for something *cough* spinning at shrines *cough* that none of the players really cared about. Why not something really cool like this?):)

iamsamoth0
05-28-2010, 09:35 PM
B...B...B....rains!

Err, I mean, P...P....P....Printable character sheets!!

This thread is has reached Lich status in it's power. Please Devs, this is a beyond due issue. Couldn't someone take their lunch breaks to work on this and make a whole LOT of people happy? (I mean come on, it was done for something *cough* spinning at shrines *cough* that none of the players really cared about. Why not something really cool like this?):)

I miss that.
And the music from the bazaar, (pssst it is a snippet created from the combat music in Tangleroot Gorge)!

Ormindo
05-29-2010, 03:54 AM
It would be cool if you could save the "face" of your character. That way, if you reincarnate or want to make another character with the same face, you can import the "face".

Erzmz2k
12-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Bump.......... This Would be a Great New Feature!!!!
I do alot of work keeping my toon sheets updated.

Zzevel
12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Heck no! Use developer time to create new content or BETTER YET.. fix some existing bugs! If you want your character stats on paper use a pen. Then you can call it Pen and Paper DDO even.. Your ideal EASY button is not what I pay for (an ONLINE MMO).

Have a GREAT Day!

Kindoki
12-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Heck no! Use developer time to create new content or BETTER YET.. fix some existing bugs! If you want your character stats on paper use a pen. Then you can call it Pen and Paper DDO even.. Your ideal EASY button is not what I pay for (an ONLINE MMO).

Have a GREAT Day!

Devs, feel free to use the parts of your time that "I pay for" to implement this feature... and you can use Zzevel's money for what (s)he wants... or an ice cream cone... either/or would probably be fine.... :p

mnortega
12-31-2018, 06:47 PM
I know this is an old post... but I would LOVE this feature.

Strambotica
01-16-2019, 03:02 PM
its a old post, but great idea... to have a backup of your character and gear, in case of a TR bug. so you have PROVES of your things (Tomes, PL, Gear, etc)... and maybe could help the devs to fix your bugged TR character.

Lord_Balon
01-17-2019, 08:13 AM
I couldn't support this more. A downloadable or click to email "list" of my inventory across a server would save me a lot of time.

/sign