PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Best epic destiny for a 2 weapon fighting ranger?

Sofa1996
09-20-2020, 07:22 PM
Hello,

I've come back to DDO after a long time and managed to level my character up to 20.

Rather than focus on the typical range build, I decided to lean towards a two weapon fighting ranger. It's been working okay for me so far.

My only issue is that I can't seem to work out which epic destiny seems to fit the character the best? I'm assuming it would be Fury of the Wind but I'd really like someone elses opinion please.

I'm worried I may have to completely remake her as a ranged character instead (which is ironic considering I did chose a ranger) but I really enjoy the 2 weapon fighting and was wondering if it's still useful during epic levels?

I need her to be strong enough to run epic quests to gather tokens of the twelve so I can eventually TR her.

Thank you for reading and will appreciate any thoughts ^^

Kmnh
09-20-2020, 08:32 PM
Don't worry too much about the best destiny. Work on maxing out all your destinies and getting karma to epic reincarnate.

Legendary Dreadnought is the best dps but it requires good twists to really shine.

Fury of the wild is good at dealing with champions and reapers but it does less damage.

Make sure you twist balanced strikes from Primal Avatar. Meld into darkness from Shadowdancer is good too.

Good luck

arminius
09-20-2020, 11:33 PM
Fatesinger. I didn’t believe it either until I tried it. Now would never consider another.

I think a big key to it is the high base melee power. And the epic moment just melts the enemy’s face off. I’ve tried it on other TWF melees and it wasn’t nearly so awesome. I think the strikethrough and double strike the Tempest gets are what make the damage Fatesinger delivers go exponential in a way that no other tree can match.

I’d also recommend dipping into Deepwood Stalker enough to get Exposing Strike. Or, I haven’t tried it with a Ranger specifically but I think you could dip into Falconry for mass blinding. Rangers have good synergy to go full wisdom for attack and damage, and the DC for Falconry attacks is wisdom based.

arminius
09-21-2020, 12:11 AM
And while I think Fatesinger is the best overall, I can’t leave out the default for any melee who is concerned they might be in over their head: Divine Crusader has enough offense to be able to contribute effectively without embarrassment, while having enough defense and self healing to keep you out of other people’s backpacks.

It is perfect for feeling out what your character can do while simultaneously staying alive long enough to do it.

Regarding the others mentioned, I think Fury is ok-ish but it is better tuned for THF now. If you want to say, holy s_ I can’t believe that many damage numbers fit on screen, Fatesinger beats Fury. Fury, Adrenaline, and Adrenaline Overload are about that one big hit—Tempest is about a gajillion hits, and Fatesinger feeds every one of them.

And I think the bread and butter of Dreadnaught are Momentum Swing and Lay Waste, which are tied to Power Attack and Cleave, which are subpar for a Tempest to put it mildly. Even their animations alone are disruptive to the Tempest attack chain in my opinion.

Sorry I’m so chatty on the subject but I am also a returning player and just went through a lot of analysis and experimentation on exactly this topic, aaand my sleeping pills aren’t working.

SocratesBastardSon
10-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Primal Avatar was supposed to be the best TWF destiny, but arminius is right, Fatesinger is so much better. However, twisting Balanced Attacks and possibly Symetric Strikes from Primal can be very helpful depending on the build.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm looking forward to playing a Scourge, dual Heavy Mace Tempest in Fatesinger. Adding Strike Down the Dead, Destroyer of the Dead and the Scourge Weapon line to Turn of the Tide should prove entertaining.

Strimtom recommended (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/508594-Tried-and-Tested-Hardcore-Viable-Ranger-For-All-Your-Hardcore-Needs?p=6250592#post6250592) going heavier into Falconry rather than DWS with a Scourge Tempest. It was one of his Hardcore builds.

HungarianRhapsody
10-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Best destiny is a question that’s a lot like “best weapon”. Best for what?

What type of quests are you running? Epic Normal? R1? R10? What do you see your role as in those quests? How often do you die in those quests? Are you raiding?

If you’re just there for DPS, then THF is likely better. So if you are going to TWF, what other things can you do? Debuffing is nice. Healing the party is nice. CC is good. Are you looking to push the envelope of what’s possible or are you looking to sit in the back and take it easy?