PDA

View Full Version : Help with Starting an Alchemist?

Futurecolourz
08-06-2020, 02:48 AM
So, I watched Axel's video on Alchemist to understand the reactions and all that. However, in character creation, I absolutely have no idea how to build one and how to play one. I know there are nuker builds, throwing builds... and I have no idea what to do with all those spells available to you at first.

cru121
08-06-2020, 03:21 AM
let's say you want a caster with heals.

you max your int, then con.
grab concentration, spellcraft, umd.
grab maximize, empower, heighten, some spell focuses, and some cool defensive alchemistic feats
you pick an element, for example Acid.
grab acid caster stick from keep of the borderlands turn-in. can grab devotion stick for offhand, or some orb if you have
pick up acid spells and SLAs
hotbar the spells and SLAs
apply metamagic feats to SLAs
grab Byron
throw stuff at mobs
throw heals at you or friends

mikarddo
08-06-2020, 05:32 AM
So, I watched Axel's video on Alchemist to understand the reactions and all that. However, in character creation, I absolutely have no idea how to build one and how to play one. I know there are nuker builds, throwing builds... and I have no idea what to do with all those spells available to you at first.

Max Int, Max Con.
You will be using Int for reflex saves, will saves, spell points, spell DC (if caster), to-hit/dmg (if ranged) and for loads and loads of skill points.
You will be using Con for fort saves and HP.
You wont be using the other stats much so put any extra whereever you like.

If you intend to play your alchemist as a caster - you will be very weak the first 6 or even 9 levels. If you have access to the Inquisitive tree simply play your caster Alchemist as a slightly weaker Inquisitive initially and then swap to casting at level 6, 8 or even 10.

Gnome is a good choice for race - more Int is nice - but any race will do just fine.

Do you intend to play as a caster or as a ranged dps?

Doppelgangerung
09-22-2020, 02:23 PM
I am a relative noob to DDO, but imo alchemist is one of the most versatile and powerful classes in the game.

As more experienced players than I have noted, put points into int and con till you can't any more, then it's dealers choice.

Don't neglect your cc spells - the alchemist excels at this, and mobs that are busy trying to stand up, wake up, or remember whose side they're on are much less troublesome.

At your earliest opportunity go to the magic shop in House Jorasco and buy anything you haven't already learned - if you look up the rare spells ahead of time and select those during character creation you can just about learn the whole spellbook for max options.

I often run with a hireling, and with most classes I play, that hireling is a cleric. Alchemist is the only class for which I hired a tank, because I had healing (and cc, and a moderate amount of damage) covered!

MaDLAB
09-23-2020, 10:48 PM

I did 9 racials with alchemist so far. Lv to 30 and spend 3 days grabbing RXP on R6-10 depending on grouping availability at the time. And spend a day or two finishing the raids for fates and ransack THTH. Pretty standard TReadmill cycle.

Here is how I would suggest anyone doing it. Alchemist is pretty hella weak before grabbing Molotov cocktails. Even grabbing it is pretty weak with the limited spell pool (sorta like a weaker sorc). It is when you hit level 12 and gets multivial that you become on-par or better in certain cases than sorc at leveling. So before level 12, it is a pretty good case to level as a inquisitive at least until Molotov cocktails (essentially fireball). Then you can pick either inquisitive route to 12 or caster route to 12. After 12, no reason to do inquisitive anymore as multivial is just simply too advantageous to waste.

I would suggest alchemist to be playing as caster at cap as it is strictly speaking, better than being inquisitive or even thrower splashes (at least people like you more and get more invites to R10 groups). But don't get me wrong, alchemist is very versatile so you can do very well playing a ranged character as alchemist so to each their own there.

To build one caster type:
Standard metamagics for alchemists. Empower, max, heighten, quicken, accelerate (5 must take, empower can be swapped if you really can't afford it).
Spell focus (conjuration/transmutation), whether to take both and or take greater/epic version is up to your final DC and what content you want to run, also if you are dps more or cc more).
Alchemical studies (remember just the normal one doesn't do anything at cap, need the advanced one also to increase max caster level, can potentially take 0, 2, or 4 of these, it is more of a DPS option than anything else).
Liquid luck (this is evasion, depends on if you are going to go medium armor option or not).
Combat style lines (alchemist technically imbue spell touch range to the vial and then throw the vial by physical strength. So epic defensive fighting works with alchemist spells. This is the chance to get 5-25% HP).
Mass frog (with some gearing, I can get it to work on forgewraith in R10 sharn no fail, remember it is also transmutation school, so most alchemist will already have a huge bonus on this stuff). They are pretty heinous, so this is a good feat to take.

Enhancement wise, I know some people are really against it, but I think 23-25 points in falconry is a must. It just offers too much with all the synergies. Otherwise, unless you are just gonna be a healer/CCer, then bombardier 41 is probably a good pick. Some people choose apothecary 41, but I think regular R10 play does not actually call for that kinda CC focus and dedication (also if you pick this route then no point doing falconry).

My experience. Even on a noncompletionist nonINT race in the racial TR cycle, soloing sharn R6 is not particularly painful, R4 will just be too easy and too fast. In groups, R10 is pretty easy and you contribute the most quite often especially in PUGs, CC is all you, kill is also mostly you unless there are just a gazillion triple completionist pallies in the group demolition everything.