PDA

View Full Version : Coming back from 5 year break? Need some insight

Emurian
04-25-2019, 06:18 PM
I want to come back to the game after a long time but there are some things which I would like to know.

#1 Can I somehow see the population base of the servers so I know which one is the most crowded?

#2 If I have old characters can I transfer those to another server?

#3 When I look in the groupings I see allot of posts with no people, no leader. Like a ghost grouping, is this normal?

#4 I am now playing with 3800 resolution, the hotbars look very small now is there any way I can make these bigger? I looked in the UI settings but could not find anything =/.

#5 I am going to bring a handfull of people with me from another mmo. Now I remember vaguely, that if people had the Giant valley part lvl 12-15, and vale of twilight that smoothed out the way they could lvl 1>20. Is that still sortoff the case? Because I don't want them to get stuck early on a bit of a paywall.

#6 TY for reading up to this point =)

Grailhawk
04-25-2019, 06:29 PM
There are sever transfers I have no clue how they work.

#3 When I look in the groupings I see allot of posts with no people, no leader. Like a ghost grouping, is this normal?
Go to the who panel let it load every one in and then go back to grouping should have filled out

#4 I am now playing with 3800 resolution, the hotbars look very small now is there any way I can make these bigger? I looked in the UI settings but could not find anything =/.
Nope.

Memnir
04-25-2019, 06:31 PM
#1 Can I somehow see the population base of the servers so I know which one is the most crowded?
Just anecdotal evidence. SSG gives no statistics on population.

You can pay per-character for a transfer, yes. A guide can be found HERE (https://www.ddo.com/en/world-character-transfer-guide).

They are ghost LFMs. It's normal, but not WAI. The servers get rebooted weekekly now, and that helps wipe em.

Not as far as I know, sadly. UI scaling is a frequent request for a while now.

#5 I am going to bring a handfull of people with me from another mmo. Now I remember vaguely, that if people had the Giant valley part lvl 12-15, and vale of twilight that smoothed out the way they could lvl 1>20. Is that still sortoff the case? Because I don't want them to get stuck early on a bit of a paywall.
I think so, but I'm not a good one to ask about that kind of thing since I've been VIP since VIP was a thing. Again, I think so... but yeah, somebody better acquainted with that would be a better source.

Your welcome! :) Welcome back! I hope you have a lot of fun.

Sho-sa
04-25-2019, 07:30 PM

Yes, Giant Hold and Vale have always been the standard for lvl 20 completions. Now, with Reaper mode you can get another 40% bonus stacked on top of Elite XP along with the Bravery Bonus. With a group working together you guys should be fine once you get used to the quirks of Reaper mode. Once the points start adding up it becomes even easier. Just stick to R1 as the benefits from higher skulls are not really worth the time required to slog through. Once all your new payers are comfortable with the game and have some decent gear, feel free to ramp up for a challenge.

HungarianRhapsody
04-25-2019, 07:53 PM
Yes, Giant Hold and Vale have always been the standard for lvl 20 completions. Now, with Reaper mode you can get another 40% bonus stacked on top of Elite XP along with the Bravery Bonus. With a group working together you guys should be fine once you get used to the quirks of Reaper mode. Once the points start adding up it becomes even easier. Just stick to R1 as the benefits from higher skulls are not really worth the time required to slog through. Once all your new payers are comfortable with the game and have some decent gear, feel free to ramp up for a challenge.

Just as a heads up - Reaper mode will kick your ass while you're getting used to it. It's challenging and fun once you're used to it, but getting used to it is a big hurdle.

HungarianRhapsody
04-25-2019, 07:54 PM
Also - when you decide on a server, post where you ended up and I'm sure there will be some people who can throw some plat and gear at you. I'm on Argo f you end up there.

lyrecono
04-26-2019, 11:20 AM
I want to come back to the game after a long time but there are some things which I would like to know.

no, if i were you i would create alt accounts and check out the who pannel in your usual playtime, don't bother using the lfm to see wich server is populated, people don't use it as much as they used to, private channels and discord are used more

yes but unless they are tr's, it's hardly worth it, it's very costly.
it either needs to populate, by going to the "who" tab in the same social pannel or they are ghost lfm's. Remember, this game is over a decade old with much of its programming tallent having left a long time ago, run by a company that is trying to nickle and dime it's way through, so fixing this problem might be out of their scope

no, people keep asking them for 2&4k ui support, their reasoning for not doing that, is that they believe not enough players make use of it to justify the upgrade.

those 2 packs help out but there are a few packs people might want to recomend as well, it migt be boring for them to look at 10+ year old content when they could be having fun in ravenloft, keeping an eye out for a sale doesn't hurt either.

You're welcome!

banjo174
04-26-2019, 11:25 AM
HERE (https://www.ddo.com/en/world-character-transfer-guide).

The fact that people need a guide to a typical game function is truly remarkable.

lyrecono
04-26-2019, 11:57 PM
The fact that people need a guide to a typical game function is truly remarkable.

At least that has an official guide.

Info on the game is purely player driven wit the wiki, fora and 3rd party chat

Alrik_Fassbauer
04-27-2019, 05:46 AM
At least that has an official guide.

Info on the game is purely player driven wit the wiki, fora and 3rd party chat

Well, there are a few more : https://www.ddo.com/en/game/game-guides
But I just can't say whether they are outdated or not.

Plus, according to the Wiki, the official game manual is still available as PDF for download : https://ddowiki.com/page/Newbie_guide#DDO_official_manual_and_game_guides
But again, I don't have any idea on how much outdated this is.

When I came back to DDO weeks ago I was digging out my game box again purely for the translated handbook. Though very outdated, it's the only non-English source I have.

lyrecono
04-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Well, there are a few more : https://www.ddo.com/en/game/game-guides
But I just can't say whether they are outdated or not.

Plus, according to the Wiki, the official game manual is still available as PDF for download : https://ddowiki.com/page/Newbie_guide#DDO_official_manual_and_game_guides
But again, I don't have any idea on how much outdated this is.

When I came back to DDO weeks ago I was digging out my game box again purely for the translated handbook. Though very outdated, it's the only non-English source I have.

i have just taken a look at these game guides, they are incredibly outdated (in the chapters i was reading).

stuff like:
advising to take toughness as a feat to qualify for toughness Enhancements,
All the Enhancements seem to be from an older system and are no longer in the game. (the new Enhancements system was introduced on: September 29th, 2014)
Advising to take a DC based combat feat on a first lifer who will be lacking the past lives and gear to support it, is a bad idea.
Named items information is from U25, U27-U36(July 12, 2017), we're expecting Update 42 soon, it's 2 years out of date.
The tr guide is missing the racial tr system (introduced March 16th, 2017, again, 2 years ago)

As for the "official game manual" posted on the wiki, it's outdated, some of these paths are gone or have changed dramatically, the modules mentioned are outdated, etc, it's no longer functional (though fun as a history lesson).
I still have my box set (re-bought 3 years after the game went live in a discount bin for roughly 3 bucks), luckily the manual is in English, translations loose to much information when translated by people who are unfamiliar with the lingo. to be fair, it's useless, the best way to get to know the game is by playing it under the guidance of a veteran player. (imho)