PDA

View Full Version : Gathering For Buffs™ Gen Con 2019 (Aug 1-4)

cdbd3rd
01-29-2019, 04:52 AM
Little late getting this posted this year. RL stuff, and stuff. <Insert random excuse>

Gen Con badges went on sale a few weeks ago, and housing opened this past weekend. https://www.gencon.com/

For me, personally, they've priced themselves out of my 'casual' market. Luckily, there are still things to do around the Con without a badge.

Then, of course, there's the Friday night Gathering for Buffs™!

Time: Always Friday evening at 8 PM'ish, and going til they close up shop. Always come 'n go as you please so it can fit in with any other con stuff you have scheduled.

Place: [TBD. Tentatively at the Social on McCrea.]

Will update as the year gets on.

--------

edit:

Looking back over the threads for previous years, the first year I took over posting these was '09.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/163448-GenCon-09
Back when a 4-day badge cost the same as a 1-day now. Sadlol.

Draculetta
05-14-2019, 07:56 PM
My social anxiety is through the roof, but I'll be stopping by yet again this year...

Lynnabel
05-14-2019, 08:01 PM
I'll likely be there this time :)

cdbd3rd
05-28-2019, 04:40 PM
I'll likely be there this time :)

Sweet!

And your imbibe of choice?

----------

... I don't drink beer, but I'll be at GenCon for the first time this year, so you can curse at me in person if you're attending.

Flimsy? You saving a spot for Friday night?

cdbd3rd
05-28-2019, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I got a little slack in my updating this thread this year. RL has had issues (doesn't it always) and I was already a little jaded about Gen Con folks and their crazy price inflations.

But the Gathering is the Gathering. It shall endure. :)

Uska
05-29-2019, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I got a little slack in my updating this thread this year. RL has had issues (doesn't it always) and I was already a little jaded about Gen Con folks and their crazy price inflations.

But the Gathering is the Gathering. It shall endure. :)

Origins is a better and cheaper con but I understand tradition even better would be Gary Con but it is a bit small

Cordovan
06-10-2019, 03:57 PM
I have some fun news to pass along: I will be in the Gen Con area Friday and Saturday to host (hopefully, assuming I can get a space now that Social is closed) a meetup on Friday per usual, and will be around at the convention on Saturday for any vlogs, press, sites, podcasts, streams, etc who would like to talk to us. Us being at least me, and probably some others.

Due to the desire to be cost-conscious I am looking for a relatively inexpensive place for us to go now that Social is out. Anyone got some ideas? I have a few leads, but we'll see if any of them pan out.

cdbd3rd
06-11-2019, 06:09 AM
.... now that Social is closed....

That's a bummer.

Alrik_Fassbauer
06-11-2019, 11:25 AM
I always recommend Youth Hostels, but I'm not sure they'd allow older people to use them.
Plus, they are often loud during peak times as well.

Cordovan
06-11-2019, 12:08 PM
That's a bummer.

It is indeed! That place was perfect for our needs. Hopefully whatever happened they landed on their feet.

Worst case scenario we will do it old-school, but that's probably not necessary. As soon as I get something confirmed, I'll let people know. Regardless, typical time and date: Friday, 7-8pmish until about 10ish plus it keeps going sometimes. :)

Memnir
06-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Ah yes... it's time once again for my annual I Regret I Cannot Go To GenCon sulking to commence. :)

Have fun, everyone who is attending!

Arkat
06-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Ah yes... it's time once again for my annual I Regret I Cannot Go To GenCon sulking to commence. :)

Have fun, everyone who is attending!

I'd like to go to Gen Con someday but as I'm 53 years old, time is running out. I don't want to be that "60 year-old guy" playing games with a bunch of 20-somethings and 30-somethings like I used to when I was their age.

Memnir
06-11-2019, 05:42 PM
I'd like to go to Gen Con someday but as I'm 53 years old, time is running out. I don't want to be that "60 year-old guy" playing games with a bunch of 20-somethings and 30-somethings like I used to when I was their age.I'm just about in the same boat. My only issue is that I've got a bushel of health issues that make travel complicated. Travel gets really limiting when you can't fly or sit stationary for long periods of time. :)

cdbd3rd
06-11-2019, 07:04 PM
I'd like to go to Gen Con someday but as I'm 53 years old, time is running out. I don't want to be that "60 year-old guy" playing games with a bunch of 20-somethings and 30-somethings like I used to when I was their age.

While there ARE a bunch of those younger whippersnappers running around, there are a bunch of us old-schoolers still hanging on as well.

I try thinking of it as being that old scarred up barkeep - he made it to be that old for a reason, and the young'uns best remember that. ;)

Arkat
06-11-2019, 09:51 PM
I'm just about in the same boat. My only issue is that I've got a bushel of health issues that make travel complicated. Travel gets really limiting when you can't fly or sit stationary for long periods of time. :)

While there ARE a bunch of those younger whippersnappers running around, there are a bunch of us old-schoolers still hanging on as well.

I try thinking of it as being that old scarred up barkeep - he made it to be that old for a reason, and the young'uns best remember that. ;)

Would LOVE to hang out with you two "older" guys. Pretty sure we could talk about many of the same things (other than gaming stuff, obviously) that them young'uns won't have a clue about.

Maybe someday.

Memnir
06-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Maybe someday.Someday.

https://i.imgur.com/MWbw58n.gif

Cordovan
06-12-2019, 10:43 AM

Trust me, having been to many Gen Cons, the entirety of the age spectrum is well represented.

I'm looking at a few serious options for a location, so hopefully I'll have news within a week or two. It is always unfortunate that these meetups are 21+, but I have yet to find a great place at a great price that also allows underage on a Friday night in downtown Indianapolis and is willing to host us and hasn't already been taken. :) Per usual, however, IF YOU HAVE KIDS or are one: Please let me know! We're always willing to find ya somewhere and say hello.

cdbd3rd
06-12-2019, 06:31 PM
Would LOVE to hang out with you two "older" guys. Pretty sure we could talk about many of the same things (other than gaming stuff, obviously) that them young'uns won't have a clue about.

Maybe someday.

Someday.

https://i.imgur.com/MWbw58n.gif

Yep yep :)

https://digiday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/grandpa.gif

Alrik_Fassbauer
06-13-2019, 12:53 PM
I just wish the team would show up in Germany - or in Europe anyway. - one day. ;)
Unfortunately the RPC is no more ... :( Been replaced by some new comic con ...

Haphazarduk
07-13-2019, 12:52 PM
I just wish the team would show up in Germany - or in Europe anyway. - one day. ;)
Unfortunately the RPC is no more ... :( Been replaced by some new comic con ...

Dragonmeet in London is growing in size every year but its a long way to come for most. Its good fun though.

Cheers

Hap

axel15810
07-15-2019, 09:09 AM
Last year was fun, but I won't be able to make it this year.

Cordovan
07-15-2019, 01:10 PM
I am waiting on a final thing to happen before announcing our plans, but we have a place all-but-secured for Friday, August 2nd 7-10p Eastern.

cdbd3rd
07-15-2019, 01:29 PM
I am waiting on a final thing to happen before announcing our plans, but we have a place all-but-secured for Friday, August 2nd 7-10p Eastern.

Is that a hard 10 PM for the place attained, or will we still have the option for our usual 'til they close' routine?

Cordovan
07-15-2019, 01:40 PM
Is that a hard 10 PM for the place attained, or will we still have the option for our usual 'til they close' routine?

Our specific reservation will be through 10p, but after that I don't see why we can't continue there.

Lynnabel
07-15-2019, 01:47 PM

Worst case scenario you're welcome to battle me in the event hall if we get kicked out - provided you've got the MTG skills to keep up >:P

cdbd3rd
07-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Our specific reservation will be through 10p, but after that I don't see why we can't continue there.

:)

https://media1.tenor.com/images/0860d3f017deea3a796f4464677376ba/tenor.gif?itemid=4728652

Worst case scenario you're welcome to battle me in the event hall if we get kicked out - provided you've got the MTG skills to keep up >:P

As tempting an offer as that is - I won't be carrying a Con badge, and me playing any flopper game would be considered sacrilege. ;) :p

Arkantios
07-16-2019, 10:15 AM
Gonna attend this for a bit and then hit up the Hello from the Magic Tavern Show >:D

Cordovan
07-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Gonna attend this for a bit and then hit up the Hello from the Magic Tavern Show >:D

Sounds cool. I have been ready to announce what's up for a few days now, but we need to wait for a final biz-type-thing to happen before I can say more.

cdbd3rd
07-18-2019, 03:51 PM
Punch Bowl... I will have to Google this new thing.

https://www.punchbowlsocial.com/

120 S Meridian St
Indianapolis, Indiana

So like a block North of where Jillian's used to be.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/506850-Standing-Stone-Games-Player-Meetup-Friday-August-2nd-7-00-10-00pm-Eastern-in-Indy?p=6228493

Thank you. :)

Cordovan
07-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Yup! We are set for this year. Please do RSVP if you can make it!

Cordovan
07-18-2019, 04:28 PM
Punch Bowl... I will have to Google this new thing.

https://www.punchbowlsocial.com/

120 S Meridian St
Indianapolis, Indiana

So like a block North of where Jillian's used to be.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/506850-Standing-Stone-Games-Player-Meetup-Friday-August-2nd-7-00-10-00pm-Eastern-in-Indy?p=6228493

Thank you. :)

Yup, just a bit north/northeast from where we normally are.

cdbd3rd
08-03-2019, 07:49 AM
Hope it was a good one this year. CD got derailed...

Somebody post up some pix, hm? Meanwhile, I gotta get ready to go to another funeral. yay.