PDA

View Full Version : epic destinies question

ElrondElfKing
01-12-2019, 09:45 PM
I'm currently a level 26 barb, and have claimed Fury of the Wild as my epic destiny. I seem to be capped, with 24 points spent and don't seem to be getting any more points. Where do I go from here?

kamimitsu
01-13-2019, 03:00 AM
I'm currently a level 26 barb, and have claimed Fury of the Wild as my epic destiny. I seem to be capped, with 24 points spent and don't seem to be getting any more points. Where do I go from here?

Once you cap out an epic destiny, you'll want to use a Twist of Fate to add your favorite epic destiny ability (Twists allow you to keep that ability available once you leave that destiny and start another) and then start leveling a new Epic Destiny. At first, you'll only have the option of the adjacent Epic Destinies, but as you level them, you'll be able to enter other spheres (Martial, Divine, Arcane). As a barbarian, you'll likely want to get to Legendary Dreadnought as soon as possible, as that has the most DPS and barb-centric stuff in it. You have to reach Tier 3 to unlock an adjacent Destiny and Tier 4 to unlock an adjacent sphere.

So, you'll want to do Shiradi Champion up to Tier 4, and then jump over to Legendary Dreadnought. Shiradi Champion will absolutely suck for your character and most of the abilities in it are useless for you, but suck it up and just push on through. Once you open up Legendary Dreadnought, switch to that and watch your DPS double. Once you have Dreadnought capped out, then use the Twists of Fate to add more abilities and keep filling up other Destinies that have good stuff in them.

This may help:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Destinies

ElrondElfKing
01-13-2019, 06:57 AM
Thank you for the response. I am wondering why I did not get any more points when I leveled to 26. Here are a couple of screen shots... ok, well my Manage Attachments function isn't working and I can't attach any screenshots

Under Map View, Primal Karma has the number 3,812,550 under it. The symbol for Fury of the Wild shows a 5, while Primal Avatar and Shiradi Champion show a zero each. There is a yellow dot showing next to Legendary Dreadnaught. What does all this mean?

Under Tree View, Fury of the Wild shows 0 points available for this tree (24 spent). There are no points available for any other trees. I haven't gotten any points in at least one full level, so hence my confusion.

Also, why do I even want to switch epic destinies? I will lose that tier 6 ability (and all the others) I worked so hard to get, and will have to start all over again. So I'll be at level 26 with no epic destiny abilities except one twist, which is only good for a tier 1 ability. Doesn't make sense to me.

Melkazar
01-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Also, why do I even want to switch epic destinies? I will lose that tier 6 ability (and all the others) I worked so hard to get, and will have to start all over again. So I'll be at level 26 with no epic destiny abilities except one twist, which is only good for a tier 1 ability. Doesn't make sense to me.

You switch destinies to gain fate points. That allows you to add (twist is the usual term) in abilities from other destinies. For example, need more CON? Twist it into your Legendary Dreadnaught from Primal Avatar.

As previously mentioned, some of the destinies will not help your particular build, but you can often find something that will. By going through all the destinies you gain the ability to twist some of those random abilities into your own build. When running in Fury of the Wild I twist in Summon Dryad from Shiradi. She can be quite the distraction to the enemy.

btolson
01-13-2019, 08:49 AM

You switch destinies to level them up.

You have 0 points in those destinies, because you don't have them active.

If you go the fatespinner and swap to one of them, it will start gaining xp, and levels. You also gain 1 fate point per 3 epic destiny levels.

There are 12 destinies, and you eventually want all of them maxed. You should do Epic and/or Iconic Reincarnations during this process to avoid wasting lots of karma XP.

It is best to stick to easy content when you are leveling a destiny that is bad for your character. Run EN or even casual if needed. Do slayers. Pick up unclaimed Saga XP gems. That sort of thing.

ElrondElfKing
01-13-2019, 10:16 AM
So what I should do now is make Shiradi Champion active, and place a tier 1 ability into a twist of fate slot? Then I'll start getting points again?

Have I lost any points by delaying this by one or two levels?

ElrondElfKing
01-13-2019, 10:19 AM
What is the yellow dot I see on Legendary Dreadnaught on map view?

Krelar
01-13-2019, 10:29 AM
So what I should do now is make Shiradi Champion active, and place a tier 1 ability into a twist of fate slot? Then I'll start getting points again?

Have I lost any points by delaying this by one or two levels?

You've missed out on a lot of destiny xp. Destines cap at 1,980,000 xp. level 26 means you have at least 4,350,000, so you could have capped an entire 2nd destiny and started in on a 3rd if you'd switched sooner. You can still earn destiny xp at level cap so it's not like you'll never make it up, it just slowed you down a bit.

What is the yellow dot I see on Legendary Dreadnaught on map view?

Most people will just ignore that. It means while you can't switch to that destiny yet you could buy an item from the store that would let you switch to it immediately. You're going to want to unlock all of them eventually anyways so generally better just to wait and work your way around to it.

kamimitsu
01-13-2019, 11:04 AM

You don't have to start all over again... you keep any Destiny XP even after you switch. You can switch back to it at any point and have all of your abilities Fury of the Wild abilities again. You only lose the access to the abilities when you switch temporarily. So, if you're about to head into a really tough quest, then switch to a destiny that you like and have filled out for maximum effectiveness. But if you are doing easy-ish leveling quests? Then switch to a destiny that isn't so useful and level that one up (even though you'll be somewhat less effective in a crappy destiny). Don't forget to change out your twists appropriately before switching.

So yes, twist something tasty from Fury of the Wild (I kind of like Boulder Toss) and then switch to Shiradi (which sucks for barbs) until you get it to Tier 4. Then switch again to Legendary Dreadnought, which is SUPER tasty for Barbarians.

ElrondElfKing
01-13-2019, 11:49 AM
Thank you everyone. None of this info is self-evident, and the epic destinies page doesn't give you any hints. The wiki is a little confusing, also. I didn't find it all that helpful.

Enoach
01-13-2019, 12:51 PM
It is a bit of a learning curve.

Now keep this in mind while leveling in Epics all XP you earn applies to 3 places: Character Leveling 20 to 30, Your Active ED, and Your Epic Sphere

For just over 2 million XP you only missed out on filling up an Epic Destiny. You still leveled and you still continued to fill the Primal Sphere with Karma of which you need 6 million to do an Epic Reincarnation. Don't be discourage it is something you can recover from since there is plenty of XP available.

---
As for where do you go from here, I think that depends on your plans.

1. Are you planning on doing an Epic Reincarnation at level 30?
If you are, I would recommend going to Shiriadi Champion and go ahead and max it out. The reason is that will fill your Sphere Requirements needed to ER as well as open up the martial sphere.

2. Are you planning on staying at 30 for awhile?
If that is the case I would recommend the following...
a. Get Shiradi Champion to 4th Rank
b. Get Legendary Dreadnaught to 3rd Rank
c. Get Shadow Dancer to 4th Rank
d. Get Grandmaster of Flowers to 4th Rank

The reason for doing that is to open up access to every sphere and get low hanging Twist of Fate Points to allow you access to either more twists or higher tier twists.

Then you can either work on any destiny or return to the Primal Sphere to finish your Karma earning to be ready to ER.

ElrondElfKing
01-13-2019, 02:13 PM
It is a bit of a learning curve.

Now keep this in mind while leveling in Epics all XP you earn applies to 3 places: Character Leveling 20 to 30, Your Active ED, and Your Epic Sphere

For just over 2 million XP you only missed out on filling up an Epic Destiny. You still leveled and you still continued to fill the Primal Sphere with Karma of which you need 6 million to do an Epic Reincarnation. Don't be discourage it is something you can recover from since there is plenty of XP available.

---
As for where do you go from here, I think that depends on your plans.

1. Are you planning on doing an Epic Reincarnation at level 30?
If you are, I would recommend going to Shiriadi Champion and go ahead and max it out. The reason is that will fill your Sphere Requirements needed to ER as well as open up the martial sphere.

2. Are you planning on staying at 30 for awhile?
If that is the case I would recommend the following...
a. Get Shiradi Champion to 4th Rank
b. Get Legendary Dreadnaught to 3rd Rank
c. Get Shadow Dancer to 4th Rank
d. Get Grandmaster of Flowers to 4th Rank

The reason for doing that is to open up access to every sphere and get low hanging Twist of Fate Points to allow you access to either more twists or higher tier twists.

Then you can either work on any destiny or return to the Primal Sphere to finish your Karma earning to be ready to ER.
Thanks. I am planning to keep this one at 30 for awhile while I farm cannith essences to crafting level my main character as he goes for completionist. I will take everyone's advice. I have made Shiradi Champion active, so I'll work on that to 4th level.
Thanks to everyone. If you're on Orien, stop and say hi to Grimstad.

FuzzyDuck81
01-14-2019, 05:42 AM
But if you are doing easy-ish leveling quests? Then switch to a destiny that isn't so useful and level that one up (even though you'll be somewhat less effective in a crappy destiny). Don't forget to change out your twists appropriately before switching.

Slayer areas are a good one to run in off-destinies thanks to the way they scale & don't forget to switch to a destiny you need XP for when turning in sagas too - a popular tactic is to get multiple slayer area kills to just below higher kill number objectives then chug an XP boost potion & hit them all up then turn in multiple sagas in succession, you can power through a less-desirable destiny in a hurry that way - prep a few once you hit level 30 then epic reincarnate & you can go right through a number of those lower epic levels again at the same time & get double the value.